Posted by john vanlandingham 
wildert
Brian Klausen
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

Re: What have you been doing on.......
August 20, 2013 06:20AM
Anyone doing anything racing/rally-related?

I'm keeping the Golf running having done two events over the summer.
Getting ready for the next event in little over 2 weeks, and 2 weeks after that we'll debut at the Danish nationals!

Brgrds
Brian

Please Login or Register to post a reply
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

August 20, 2013 01:03PM
Got all the bent off the rally car after west virginia. Waiting for new roof and front cover. Pulled engine out sent heads out for a refresh and trasnfering them to my other engine I built a few years ago.

I just signed up for LSPR so I guess I better get a movin. The wife wants to leave a week early to see falls and what ever esle she can think of between here and the rally!

At the shop we just got a 2013 Nissan 370Z to do some hop up work to. also just bought 06 sti to strip to sell parts. finishing up sti forester build. Thats just the beginning of the shop work but the rest is boring stuff!

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 20, 2013 01:53PM
We went out to High Plains Raceway for a track day in the BMW Chumpcar and Dave's 328is BMW rally car (Jari's old car). Chumpcar got hot and popped upper radiator hose but fixed and went back out. Dave's car ran great and they are heading to Ojibwe to run their first gravel stage rally this weekend. Skid plate, reverse light, and JVAB suspension install tonight and they'll be ready to go. He swapped it to a manual transmission last week.

Grant Hughes
DaveK
Dave Kern
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

August 20, 2013 04:27PM
NoCoast
We went out to High Plains Raceway for a track day in the BMW Chumpcar and Dave's 328is BMW rally car (Jari's old car). Chumpcar got hot and popped upper radiator hose but fixed and went back out. Dave's car ran great and they are heading to Ojibwe to run their first gravel stage rally this weekend. Skid plate, reverse light, and JVAB suspension install tonight and they'll be ready to go. He swapped it to a manual transmission last week.

...and brake pads and brake bleed. Pads in there only lasted 2 laps at full tilt before fading, so it was good that it's a bit quicker than the chump car so I was able to back off and do lead arounds. Had a great time despite almost getting my face burned off...sure beats Monday in a cubicle!

Dave
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 20, 2013 04:37PM
DaveK
NoCoast

...and brake pads and brake bleed. Pads in there only lasted 2 laps at full tilt before fading, so it was good that it's a bit quicker than the chump car so I was able to back off and do lead arounds. Had a great time despite almost getting my face burned off...sure beats Monday in a cubicle!

Yeah, that was crazy! Your ninja dive was awesome though! I bet Ryan is hating his cubicle today. Week vacation to DirtFish followed by a track day in the Chumpcar. Poor guy. smiling smiley
Are you going to put the Pagid's that came with it on instead?

Grant Hughes
DaveK
Dave Kern
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

August 20, 2013 04:46PM
NoCoast

Yeah, that was crazy! Your ninja dive was awesome though! I bet Ryan is hating his cubicle today. Week vacation to DirtFish followed by a track day in the Chumpcar. Poor guy. smiling smiley
Are you going to put the Pagid's that came with it on instead?[/quote]

Already turned the compact into a 'jackstands project' last night. Removed the 40mm JVABs, front brake pads (Porterfield R4) and stole the Braid wheels/Yokohama tires. When I get back from Ojibwe I'll finally tear out the old motor and start fitting the Compact Cup body kit in an effort to shed some weight. Maybe make molds and sell parts? Still digging on the electrical conversion stuff needed for the S54 swap...all the plug'n'play options are nearly as expensive as what I paid for the motor & trans.

Dave
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

August 21, 2013 08:48AM
Been a really busy summer with vacation and household duties haha, but I've got the car ready for a test day this sunday...

Then I'm off to Dirtfish on September long weekend for a three day course! should help me either stay out of the ditch or just hit it going faster this time. This is followed by a week and half road trip down the Oregon coast which should be crazy. So hopefully the car is in great working order after the test day because it will leave me with only 2 weeks before heading to Pacific Forest Rally! The goal will be to keep the car on the road because I'll have 3 events a month apart each (PFR, rocky mountain Rally, and Big White Rally) to contend with.

My Co-Driver has had a pretty crazy summer as well, I'm just so proud of the little guy haha...but He won a video contest with Samsung and was flown to Toronto to film a commercial with them.

Check it out!!!

And the other one,

I'm always posting on Instagram...follow me! PeteNaz Instagram

My Build smiling smiley
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

August 22, 2013 02:07PM
i went backwards and am starting over.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

August 23, 2013 08:04AM
Gravity Fed
i went backwards and am starting over.

What happened? I thought the RX-7 was basically running?
AlexeiS
Alexei Stapinski
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Suzuki Swift

August 23, 2013 08:59AM
I've been ignoring my broken Swift after the Black Bear rally in July. All the ears on one of the mounts on the block sheared off, and another rear knuckle broke.

The plan:
- Pull the engine before winter this year, grab it and a spare engine and get it into my basement. Pull the head, give it a nice port & polish, prep another block, MAAAAAAYBE get some Honda P29 high comp pistons and get them machined for the Swift to get a higher compression engine. But this may mean standalone engine management, so, mehhh... confused smiley
- In spring/summer 2014, take the knuckles to a bunch of people, and see if we can make a custom knuckle that can withstand the abuse. 4 out of 8 rallies with the Swift was a DNF. 2 of those were for knuckles, so fuck that noise. I've thought about trying to use another corner from another car, but the shock/coilover mounting is so stupid in this car (it's not in the middle of the wheel well, it's offset and at an angle) that it doesn't look easy. I'm trying to avoid cutting the car up.
OR
Get new springs, some Koni adjustable shocks, throw those in there and sell the stupid thing. Buy a Subarat or something else. Get a real trailer, not this stupid dolly.
- Start rallying again in 2015, because other life expenses that dwarf rally are crimping my bank account's style. thumbs up smiley
- ????
- PROFIT!

Anyone have experience making custom knuckles? tongue sticking out smiley I should post pictures of this abomination at some point.
Morison
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

August 23, 2013 10:29AM
AlexeiS
- In spring/summer 2014, take the knuckles to a bunch of people, and see if we can make a custom knuckle that can withstand the abuse.
Have you talked with FourStar about the knuckles? I beleieve they built the original swift 'spec' cars when they first came out (and CARS created a class for them.) They also supported kochandrle who ran a swift very quickly...

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
AlexeiS
Alexei Stapinski
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Suzuki Swift

August 23, 2013 11:42AM
Morison
AlexeiS
- In spring/summer 2014, take the knuckles to a bunch of people, and see if we can make a custom knuckle that can withstand the abuse.
Have you talked with FourStar about the knuckles? I beleieve they built the original swift 'spec' cars when they first came out (and CARS created a class for them.) They also supported kochandrle who ran a swift very quickly...

The Swift I have was actually Peter Kocandrle's car, I bought it off him two years ago. And yes, it is one of the Four Star spec cars. The problem is probably newer than when Four Star ran them. The car now has coilovers. A coilover in the rear knuckle is too much as it was only meant for spring + shock loads. Then, they kept bending coilovers, so they bored out the knuckle for a bigger coilover. Guess what started breaking then sad smiley Hence my comment about maybe just saying forget it and going back to spring + shock + stock knuckles instead of the overbored ones.

Petey told me that he was bending shocks every national rally, so I'm very hesitant to go back to stock type stuff.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 23, 2013 12:37PM
Coilover with spring in stock location, hydraulic or weld on bump stop on chassis or spring perch. May take math to figure rate needed for stock location, but likely much cheaper than custom knuckle.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 23, 2013 01:22PM
AlexeiS
I've been ignoring my broken Swift after the Black Bear rally in July. All the ears on one of the mounts on the block sheared off, and another rear knuckle broke.

The plan:
- Pull the engine before winter this year, grab it and a spare engine and get it into my basement. Pull the head, give it a nice port & polish, prep another block, MAAAAAAYBE get some Honda P29 high comp pistons and get them machined for the Swift to get a higher compression engine. But this may mean standalone engine management, so, mehhh... confused smiley
- In spring/summer 2014, take the knuckles to a bunch of people, and see if we can make a custom knuckle that can withstand the abuse. 4 out of 8 rallies with the Swift was a DNF. 2 of those were for knuckles, so fuck that noise. I've thought about trying to use another corner from another car, but the shock/coilover mounting is so stupid in this car (it's not in the middle of the wheel well, it's offset and at an angle) that it doesn't look easy. I'm trying to avoid cutting the car up.
OR
Get new springs, some Koni adjustable shocks, throw those in there and sell the stupid thing. Buy a Subarat or something else. Get a real trailer, not this stupid dolly.
- Start rallying again in 2015, because other life expenses that dwarf rally are crimping my bank account's style. thumbs up smiley
- ????
- PROFIT!

Anyone have experience making custom knuckles? tongue sticking out smiley I should post pictures of this abomination at some point.

Post piccies...

I've done Suzuki suspension, and it didn't look bad in front. Small but so is the car....
The rears are just flat horrible design and horrible execution and really extremly limites with the "poke it thru and let it hang down--as the lowest point in the whole car' design.

Plus the ID is so small that any shock/strut worth a damn will not pass thru the 44.5mm ID--or whatever the hell it is.
Solution is hard because the way the spindle/hub is HERE o and the strut is inboard and forward...

One thing for certain is you want the car to be fun and last is:
MORE TRAVEL!!! than 4"
And that means going UP.

So something like this:

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
AlexeiS
Alexei Stapinski
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Suzuki Swift

August 23, 2013 01:25PM
NoCoast
Coilover with spring in stock location, hydraulic or weld on bump stop on chassis or spring perch. May take math to figure rate needed for stock location, but likely much cheaper than custom knuckle.

Very cool idea, I hadn't thought of that. The coilovers just have sleeves spot welded over them for the increased size, so I can try and remove those and go back to the stock knuckle. Thanks! I'll look into it first.

Edit: John, I'll post piccies when I work on the car sometime in a month or two. Agreed on the rear design. Only problem with extending the towers is the cage ties in, so even more mods sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2013 01:27PM by AlexeiS.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login