Buy, Sell & Trade
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Group Buy: Bimarco Seats (Formerly question mark)

Posted by MattWatson 
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

Group Buy: Bimarco Seats (Formerly question mark)
May 07, 2013 10:28PM
edit:
--------------------------
LINK TO POST WITH PRICING
--------------------------

Hey Guys,

Normally I hang out on SaabRally, but pop over here occasionally.

Anyway, I am putting together a Saab 900 for rallycross and stage rally and I chatted with my cousin's husband who runs a company that does group buys for various things. He knew that I was putting together a rally car and asked if I (and if I knew additional people) would be interested in getting together anything through them. (we agree on what we want to buy, they take the money and arrange everything)

So... I was taking a look at FIA seats, and Bimarco out of Poland http://www.bimarco.pl/index_en.php seem to be a great option for full head restraint FIA seats and they seem to be pretty afordable now (~550 per seat for a seat with wings (GRIP), ~$320 Without (Futura)) and with a group buy they should be less.

I was thinking of picking up a set anyway, so just thought I would put it out there for everyone.

Last group buy they did on seats was for Recaro Pole Positions for 650$ or so selling only 6 in the group buy. Which wasn't their lowest it could have gotten to. (They also already have a relationship with Recaro, so it is "easier" to do, and they will likely be doing them again if that is what you are into...)

The way the site works is that they take suggestions, then people vote on what they would like to have a group buy for. If there are other seats that people would prefer more, we could always add them and then see what we could do.

The voting for the one I want is: https://www.massdrop.com/vote/recaro-racing-seat/ Note: if you don't want to register to vote right now, but would be interested, let me know since I can tell him numbers to get an idea of pricing.

Thought I would put it out there.

Matt

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 07:18PM by MattWatson.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Potential Group Buy: Seats
May 08, 2013 01:18AM
Tell us about your 900 plans? Turbo? N.a.?

A real 900 or an Opel Vectra in disguise?

What are you going to do about gearing (eventually)?

Have you been really warned about where to strengthen the shell?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

May 08, 2013 08:06AM
john vanlandingham
Tell us about your 900 plans? Turbo? N.a.?

A real 900 or an Opel Vectra in disguise?

What are you going to do about gearing (eventually)?

Have you been really warned about where to strengthen the shell?

Hey John, I am going to use an 86 SPG as a base (because I have it and it is in decent shape) so a real 900 winking smiley.

Currently the plan is to put together a pretty basic car to get it out and racing. So the usual, seam welding the spring towers (maybe lengthening them to put in a longer spring for some additional droop travel), boxing the A/control arms etc. Anything specific that you would recommend? Lots of 99's out on the stages from Saabrally, just not so many 900 guys are really active there and the 99 is just that amount shorter and beefier. Really I am going to try my best to keep it basic and do what I really need to do rather than put together something really really fancy. Well... I will try. We wouldn't be in this hobby if everyone wanted to do things basically winking smiley

Other than that, it's already got the best bolt pattern out there for the strong soccerball/minilite wheels (we didn't get shelby's up here so they are out) and the front vented discs that just happen to fit well with the narrow Wilwoods. That likely will be my largest work from stock, replumbing the brakes for a dual circuit front/rear with hydraulic handbreak since I will be ditching the cable one as part of the stock caliper removal.

Gearing will likely remain stock for now. I don't want to afford to put together a chillcast case with the super-duper works dogbox gearset like Luke ended up doing... he seemed to do fine with just a normal box for the first bit.

I also have a DD 85 SPG that I just did a full engine rebuild and gearbox on (I did the engine, retired saab mech friend did the gearbox) and a '78 99 EMS, so I am likely to be stocking up on gearboxes anyway.
HiTempguy
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

May 08, 2013 01:54PM
I'd be down for two futura's, the biggest thing being when their expiry dates were. I don't want to buy seats that are halfway through their 5 years.

Edit-
Matt, I see you are in Calgary. You should explain shipping and what not in the thread. I bet a TON of people in Alberta/BC would buy these. I was actually just going to put up a post on CSCC that if enough people got in on this, I'd drive down, pick them all up in the US with my truck, and drive back. I'd only charge whatever fuel was split evenly between everyone. My time is free, especially if I can get useable FIA seats for 5 years!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2013 02:02PM by HiTempguy.
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

May 08, 2013 02:00PM
HiTempguy
I'd be down for two futura's, the biggest thing being when their expiry dates were. I don't want to buy seats that are halfway through their 5 years.

I'll make sure that we ask for fresh dates, or I think this is a no go for a lot of people (myself included). I'm keeping a list on SaabRally.com so I'll add you to that one as likely for 2.

Commitment comes after pricing and details.
HiTempguy
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

May 08, 2013 06:44PM
Matt,

I just noticed this, but the Futura's appear to be HUGE. I'd be much more interested in a Dakar (which as far as I can tell, is larger than a sparco evo 2).
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

May 08, 2013 07:08PM
HiTempguy
Matt,

I just noticed this, but the Futura's appear to be HUGE. I'd be much more interested in a Dakar (which as far as I can tell, is larger than a sparco evo 2).

I'll get prices on those then too if possible.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

May 09, 2013 08:58AM
HiTempguy

Edit-
Matt, I see you are in Calgary. You should explain shipping and what not in the thread. I bet a TON of people in Alberta/BC would buy these. I was actually just going to put up a post on CSCC that if enough people got in on this, I'd drive down, pick them all up in the US with my truck, and drive back. I'd only charge whatever fuel was split evenly between everyone. My time is free, especially if I can get useable FIA seats for 5 years!

Is CARS following Fia with seat expiration? 5 years for 1999 certified seats, 10 years for 2009?

Grant Hughes
HiTempguy
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

May 09, 2013 09:08AM
NoCoast

Is CARS following Fia with seat expiration? 5 years for 1999 certified seats, 10 years for 2009?

As of Jan 1st 2014. Some people have been (had been? I dunno) relooking into the issue, but the default answer is that that is the standard (even though the more people look into that answer, the more it shows that most national series don't follow every FIA rule for safety equipment, specifically helmets, h&n's, and cages, not necessarily in that order or all or none). We've had good success with getting BSI helmets to be allowed back in, and IMO a helmet is WAY easier to damage than a seat.

A bit ridiculous, as I'd first like to see one instance of a failed seat in the past decade that was FIA rated. Did anybody die from a 10+ year old helmet? Or how about that super old custom suit Keith wears, I'm surprised he doesn't just spontaneously combust when he gets in a rally car (cause I know he's going to pop in here), he ain't dead yet (close to it age-wise, but I digress) spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

I'd rather keep my $1000 a piece sparco's personally, but these Bimarcos sound pretty good, and under a $1k for the pair all in is cheaper than you could get one of those uncomfy steel-tube FIA sparcos for.
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

May 09, 2013 10:10AM
HiTempguy

Edit-

Sorry I missed this the first time...

We can be fairly flexible on shipping with this I think. We are going to try to do the cheapest thing possible, which if we have enough in Canada and the US is likely to Ship to 1 location in the US and one location here in Canada (likely Calgary) and then distribute from there. (This will avoid the whole paying import duty into the US and then into Canada.

I havn't really given any details yet, becuase I am still waiting on some pricing back, and then I will work with the company on getting everything squared away. If it falls though with massdrop (I doubt it) then I will do my best to arrange it personally. What I am aiming for is a price all in including shipping.

If you would post to the CSCC that would be awesome. The more the merrier.

Edit:

The drop ship cost as MSRP is 85$ or so, so it will likely be cheaper than that (or at most that)

So MSRP on the seats are: (not including mounts)
Grip: 450 + 90 = 540 ea. (edit: wrong price before)
Futura: 320 + 90 = 410 ea.
Dakar: 300 + 90 = 390 ea.

Futura:

Grip:

Dakar:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2013 11:07AM by MattWatson.
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

May 09, 2013 10:28AM
Pet peeve about all seat manufacturers sizing charts---especially for seats with head-wings.

There are 2 crucial dimensions that are never given:

1) Height from cushion to bottom of head wing
2) Height from cushion to top of shoulder harness slots.

Most of the dimensions on the diagrams are useless other than width for anyone that isn't trying to wedge these in an MR2 or similar small box.

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

May 09, 2013 10:31AM
just fyi, http://www.fasttracksims.com/racing-seats/ appears to offer the Grip at $450, not the $550 MSRP. Haven't tried to order from them, so it could be a mistake, but...

(I absolutely would be interested, if it weren't for the fact that my "play money" account is currently in the red...)

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

May 09, 2013 11:08AM
Aaron Luptak
just fyi, http://www.fasttracksims.com/racing-seats/ appears to offer the Grip at $450, not the $550 MSRP. Haven't tried to order from them, so it could be a mistake, but...

(I absolutely would be interested, if it weren't for the fact that my "play money" account is currently in the red...)

You are correct, sorry for the typo smiling smiley I Have fixed it in my previous post.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

May 09, 2013 12:27PM
I realized quickly that the seat is the second most important component in a rally car (to suspension). I was in pain for weeks after rallies I codrove in with shitty seats. It's like dampers, you get what you pay for. I have the same pro2000 for years, next will be proadv. May bring in a few ergos to have on display someday...

Grant Hughes
Morison
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

May 09, 2013 12:44PM
HiTempguy
As of Jan 1st 2014.
If I were a betting man I'd lay money on seat expiration going away from the CARS rules but being replaced by something more sensible.

HiTempguy
A bit ridiculous, as I'd first like to see one instance of a failed seat in the past decade that was FIA rated.
I can't think of example out there off the top of my head, but they are out there.

HiTempguy
Did anybody die from a 10+ year old helmet?
The thought if wearing a helmet that is 10 years old baffles me. Mine gets enough dings and sweat in 5 years that it just makes sense to replace it. In one case I replaced a helmet after one race because of an impact it had in an off, yet didn't show any sign of damage.

HiTempguy
Or how about that super old custom suit Keith wears, I'm surprised he doesn't just spontaneously combust when he gets in a rally car
The suit's only 10 years old. (and some 20 lbs ago) SFI rated only.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login