Posted by BobOfTheFuture 
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

Re: BRS: Who's going to watch?
September 22, 2014 04:36PM
Now, I did say hi, I was the guy who took the time card at the finish of the first time through Goose Pond in. I also did the start for Goose pond out 1. I had the 'Rhorl with it' shirt on.

Enablers, All of you.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Dan McGinn
Senior Moderator

September 22, 2014 04:54PM
Loved the Rohrl shirt! Thanks for taking our cards, that is our car.

We had a minor off on stage two, just after flying finish, went too hot into the R5, went off and punted a big fucking rock with the skid plate, broke a tie rod, bent a control arm, ripped a brake line out of the caliper....ratchet strapped the remaining part of the ball joint to the control arm and did a 25 mile transit back to service, fixed it with minor time penalites!

Any pics you have are appreciated!
Jard
Jared Lantzy
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Free range navigator

September 22, 2014 04:56PM
Definitely liked the shirt and thanks for volunteering!
si
John Farnsworth
Godlike Moderator

si
September 22, 2014 06:05PM
BobOfTheFuture
Here's another nice Merkur

Hey, that's us. Thanks! Also was digging the shirt.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

September 22, 2014 08:42PM
Dan McGinn
Loved the Rohrl shirt! Thanks for taking our cards, that is our car.

We had a minor off on stage two, just after flying finish, went too hot into the R5, went off and punted a big fucking rock with the skid plate, broke a tie rod, bent a control arm, ripped a brake line out of the caliper....ratchet strapped the remaining part of the ball joint to the control arm and did a 25 mile transit back to service, fixed it with minor time penalites!

Any pics you have are appreciated!

I heard you guys were seen driving with a deranged wheel, I figured it was BS when I saw you running soon after. Guess not! Did notice the big dent in that skid plate though!

It was fun volunteering brs, though I am starting to wonder if a Ark should be mandatory equipment for working a stage there.

Enablers, All of you.
mothra
Matt Smith
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

September 22, 2014 11:04PM
#000, Volunteer Coordinator, etc. (the list got longer each leg of the rally smiling smiley)

We would love to have you as a volunteer if you aren't going to be racing. It was great to see a couple of XR's in their natural habitat.

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 22, 2014 11:54PM
mothra
#000, Volunteer Coordinator, etc. (the list got longer each leg of the rally smiling smiley)

We would love to have you as a volunteer if you aren't going to be racing. It was great to see a couple of XR's in their natural habitat.

Oh he's going to be racing...soon as he gets a rack in the Golf---and finsihes the 240.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Dan McGinn
Senior Moderator

September 23, 2014 08:05AM
BobOfTheFuture

I heard you guys were seen driving with a deranged wheel, I figured it was BS when I saw you running soon after. Guess not! Did notice the big dent in that skid plate though!

It was fun volunteering brs, though I am starting to wonder if a Ark should be mandatory equipment for working a stage there.

Yup, ratchet strap held the wheel kindo of straight, but we had very little steering, I could see that the official car had their doubts when I told them I broke a ball joint but could probably limpt it to service, tire smoked for a bit, but it made it!

Day two did get quite wet, at turnaround we saw animals crossing the road, two-by-two and some bearded guy walking after them mumbling about finishing his boat...
KTurner
Kevin Turner
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2wd Impreza... dude you should do an sti swap

September 23, 2014 08:43AM
BobOfTheFuture
Ok, so sorry I didn't get to talk to any of you much, I was pretty busy, and so were you. But I did get some ok pictures!

KTurner this is you, right?

That's me! It was nice meeting you. We had a good weekend after being out of the car for a little while. Had an early scare about 2 miles into the first stage we came off the bridge into a compression and the car started blowing oil out the exhaust like crazy. It has been determined that the root cause was a broken spark plug wire causing a misfire in #4. Replaced the wire at service and continued on, long term damage tbd. We then lost a bunch of time on Fullerville 1 when turning the knob from vent to defrost (it was pouring out) was met with a nice snap sound... ran the stage only being able to see through the small spot on the windshield where I could wipe with my hand; pretty sure we were in a couple ditches. All in all a great event, a little disappointed that there were stage cancellations due to running over the road permits yet again.

-KTurner
Stomp down on the exhilarator and hold on to the wheel.
Jard
Jared Lantzy
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Free range navigator

September 23, 2014 09:23AM
Let's talk about luck for a second...

We pull up to the final stages of the night, Goose Pond In/Out and we're informed we will be transiting back out. Great! We can coast and preserve our lead.

We mounted our lights but start with them off, quickly figure out they should be on within the first .25 miles so that's a distraction, J stretches forward to flip them on.

We hit the first BigJmp about a mile in and I hear a bang on the landing and the car is immediately thrown sideway toward the swamp. He fights it out of the ditch, back in, and finally back out and straight down the road (two other cars ended their night in the same ditch/swamp). I honestly thought we lost a wheel for a second, but we continued.

We aren't pushing at all but the brakes are fading throughout the whole stage and we finish with the pedal pulsing and not doing much at all. BUT, rally is over, right?! We relax and wait for everyone else to finish so we can transit back out.

Start the transit and realize that something is really not right about the brakes so J minimizes using them as much as possible. He has to slow down for the course opening cars in front of us at some point and things start grinding, we assume the brakes are just starting to lock up due to some kind of damage.

Finally we hit the end of the stage and come to a complete stop and an official takes our card. The brakes lock up completely in the back! We still have .2 miles to get to the finish ceremony. J dumps the clutch and things break free but we have to stop another .1 down the road. Now the driver's rear brake locks up for good. He keeps crab walking the car down the road by dumping the clutch and moving 10 feet at a time until we get it out of traffic.

We broke the bracket that holds the caliper to the hub and the caliper wedged itself into the wheel, locking it up. We are very lucky we didn't need to run Goose Pond Out, although we would have investigated the braking issues at the turnaround and removed the caliper to limp out and probably still won (44 second lead).
si
John Farnsworth
Godlike Moderator

si
September 23, 2014 09:46AM
Jard
We hit the first BigJmp about a mile in and I hear a bang on the landing and the car is immediately thrown sideway toward the swamp. He fights it out of the ditch, back in, and finally back out and straight down the road (two other cars ended their night in the same ditch/swamp). I honestly thought we lost a wheel for a second, but we continued.

Yup, that spot was weird. We were taking it very easy, as the road was just destroyed and we were exhausted. We just drove over that jump nice and easy and then caught what I assume was your rut (the same rut that the MR2 that went in there first caught) and it just sucked us right into the swamp like we had no front tires at all. Just had no control and the car just tracked straight in and headed straight for the MR2 that was already parked the bad way in it. Fortunately we stopped a good 50 feet short of them and didn't hit anything, but the swamp was deep and sticky, couldn't even hope to move.

The photographers who were there showed us the video of you guys kind of hopping one leg into the same ditch and then jumping out. Not sure how many other people did the same, but we definitely got the short side of the swamp.

Unfortunately they were in a hurry to get the turnaround done and finish the rally, so sweep wasn't willing to pull us out until after getting everyone transited out the other direction, and that was the end for us even though we were able to drive it back fine as soon as we got pulled clear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2014 09:47AM by si.
KTurner
Kevin Turner
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2wd Impreza... dude you should do an sti swap

September 23, 2014 10:03AM
Jard

I was wondering who got sucked in there. I put a wheel in and quickly realized it was a bad decision; it looked so nice to cut there and then the swamp would start pulling you in. Two cars stuffed in there on the way in.

-KTurner
Stomp down on the exhilarator and hold on to the wheel.
Dan McGinn
Senior Moderator

September 23, 2014 10:16AM
That pre-swamp corner was sketch, we pulled back a bit on that last stage as well, I was bummed to see the first car in the swamp on the way in, then Mike's Mighty max off near the end of the stage and the XR in the swamp on transit out. Final stage took out 3 cars. sad smiley
Jard, glad you got that caliper taken care of, I think my crew chief, Tim, went over to help you guys out when you lost total steering coming into the overlook.

-Dan
si
John Farnsworth
Godlike Moderator

si
September 23, 2014 10:21AM
4 cars, the cavalier also got stuck apparently not too far past us up the hill after the swamp.
Jard
Jared Lantzy
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Free range navigator

September 23, 2014 10:58AM
F that swamp

Sorry it ended your night.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login