Posted by JohnLane 
frumby
Jason Hynd
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4TI a slow build!

Re: What did you do to the rallycar today II
November 26, 2007 03:50PM
Awesome Mark...I'm learing alot. The crank was brand-new from Top-line. I'll look around for a good machine shop. There must be something around, but I'm not sure how close.

The rod is actually discolored blue from heat around the big end. It's pretty torn up...the bearing was completely out of there...even so, doesn't hurt to ask.

I'll take another look at the head, block, and manifolds. I really can't see where the leak happened. Could be the turbo I s'pose.

Thanks again!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
starion887
starion887
Ultra Moderator

November 26, 2007 09:56PM
Seems like there should be a local dirt track in the area; find out who does a lo to that engine work.

I've used reworked 'blued' rods before in a V8 street drag engine that lasted fine to 6500 rpm regularly. But, if they don't cost a lot new then maybe it's wiser to get a new one. Get an opinion from a racing machine shop. What kind of RPMS do you turn?

Mark B.

frumby
Jason Hynd
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4TI a slow build!

November 27, 2007 08:17AM
That's a good call. There are alot of dirt track type guys around. I really only spin to 6ish grand. The 34mm restrictor just takes the fun out of it after about 5500. Only reason to sit higher than that is to avoid shifting right before a corner.

I got the rods as part of a combo deal with pistons. Nice Eagle H-beams...but they should only be about 100 bucks per.

You've convinced me to try another rebuild myself...that last build ran sweet right up until that tappety tap tap noise...at least Sandblast is only a 600 mile tow from MS...BRS was a bit farther away!
starion887
starion887
Ultra Moderator

November 27, 2007 01:29PM
I think you can do it, considering all you got done before. Buy a good set of micrometers, check them against standards at the machine shop to know where you are, make sure you Plastigage each bearing, test fit each ring in the bores to set gap, re-torque head gaskets, measure side rod gaps, ring side clearances, etc., etc., etc.

I sure would work hard to figure how the coolant got in the oil though. That is not directly explainable by excess oil pressure.

6k rpm is not a lot; boost will be your biggest stressor.

Regards,
Mark B.
JohnLane
John Lane
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

December 08, 2007 08:48AM
Soooooo since last updated the Volvo has got some love.

The really ugly Volvo exhaust manifolds have gone away and have been replaced with the manifolds found in an Eagle Premier. They look much nicer. Attached to these with the big Mig welder is 2" .120 wall DOM steel tube that finds it's way to the T-4 thing, which has been rearranged such that exhaust now exits to the passenger side. I've made up a new downpipe and turbo oil drain tube. Next up the exhaust downstream will get some attention. It got bent into the shape of a pretzel in the last (big) roll and never got fixed right.

The 9" thing is also back in my hands. Not much got saved. Unsprung weight is down whilst increasing the bling value by using a fancy hunk of aluminum for them gears to hang out in. It got a gear ratio change to 3.0 (fron 3.5) to quiet things down on the freeway some. We shall see how noisy the gears are. Bill Scribner (Scribner Welding in Kent... Bill builds some beautiful things in metal) gets credit or blame for help with some of the cool things in the car. The 9" rear being one, the adjustable rear suspension upper arms another.

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
mothra
Matt Smith
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

December 10, 2007 10:53AM
Yuck. I spent the weekend rebuilding/cleaning the front suspension in preparation for Sandblast. All new poly bushings and new ball joints and tie rods. The carnage was intense 2 wasted ball joints, 2 trashed outer tie rod ends, and a bunch of really squishy rubber bits. To add pain I realized Ihad lost my coil over wrench (good luck buying on locally on a Saturday night) in the move this spring so all the suspension is out but the coilovers are hanging from the towers then I stripped out a captive nut for the sway bar bracket. Still it will be nice to have fresh suspension.

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 10, 2007 11:08AM
Was that the first time you've replaced all those bits Matt?

That sounds like what mine look like now, but I too have all the parts to replace them.

Grant Hughes
mothra
Matt Smith
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
xr4ti

December 10, 2007 02:33PM
The first time for most of them. So that is 4 official rallies, 8-10 rallyx's, and 200+ pratice forest miles on parts that came with a resurected junk car (yep, I 'm a cheap bastard). The inner and outer tierod ends hae been replaced a few times thanks to various embankments, berms, and dips in the roads.

i can't wait to get it all in JVAB suspension and full poly bushings in the front + nylon steering rack bushings. In the rear I am going to try out the MC2 solid beam and diff mounts with nylon bushings and a welded differential.

That should keep me happy until I want more power, a proper T5, and a better final drive.

Matt Smith

Racing in glorious black and red

My daily life is a Saab story (sold!)
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

December 10, 2007 04:20PM
Rollcage is nearly done. Just need some door bars, a belt bar, a few little things like that. It took a bunch of extra work because I had to cut out and patch in big sections of the floor that had been mangled over the years and patched over patches, plus I had to cut out the floor plates from the original cage. Still lots of work to do ...
JohnLane
John Lane
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

December 13, 2007 05:11PM
K so the 9" thing is in, has fresh Torco oil and looks way too nice for my car.

The exhaust is looking good to the rear of the car. It will be less impossible to service without a sawzall now. Hopefully.

I'm currently building the plumbing for the external wastegate. This is a bit of a PITA. Fitting things well is an art I've not gotten quick at. I'll keep working at it.

Wheels will arrive tomorrow that will clear the Alcon calipers and fancy-butt rotors on hats.

Progress.... 'Tis maddeningly slow, but I'm putting one foot in front of the other and repeating.

Dave keep at that Ascona. You need to be driving it at Doo-Wops.

JohnLane

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/2007 11:43AM by JohnLane.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

December 13, 2007 05:52PM
I want pictures Mr. Lane.

Grant Hughes
JohnLane
John Lane
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

December 15, 2007 11:47AM
I've got to figure out how to post pictures.

She has the fancy-butt digital camera.

The Volvo now has complete exhaust. The external wastegate plumbing was (predictably) a pain, but turned out well.

It sounds quite different then in the past.

Now I've got to plumb brakes and get tires mounted up.

JohnLane

JohnLane
John Lane
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

December 18, 2007 11:06AM
I will finish plumbing brakes today and hopefully get tires mounted up.

Next will be setting up sensors for the Terratrip. I'll be setting up a seperate sensor for the 'Terraspeed' that has been in the dash for nine years now; unused.

Progress.....

JohnLane

Rallyho
Mike White
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 900 - aka-The Swedish Rally Tractor

December 19, 2007 09:11AM
Well, it's not <technically> done, but the shell goes to paint this weekend. And by go to paint I mean a buddy and I are gonna squirt it in a heated (sorta) barn. smiling smiley

She's screamn' fer eet!
Rallyho
Mike White
http://www.facebook.com/rallyhomotorsports
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

December 19, 2007 09:23AM
Just remember, shut off the torpedo and propane heaters before you start shooting! And that OMNI stuff leaves you with a nasty buzz, especially when you're using a worn out $19.00 Home Depot "respirator".

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login