Posted by tedm 
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

Re: Rally of the Tall Pines 2008
November 18, 2008 11:54AM
Sweet. Hopefully those guys put on a show. I just finished prepping the car last night and will be packing up the truck tonight. Looking forward to a good event.

Now the big decision is what tires to put on the car for the trailer ride up. I had to switch to the snows while it was on the trailer last year which was no fun so I think I may just have the snows already on the car this year.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
tedm
Ted Mendham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
once upon a time drove WRX, Sentra, SAAB 99

November 18, 2008 01:45PM
Whatever tires you mount WILL BE the WRONG ones! :-)
I don't think we will know until Saturday morning and then it may change again during the day as the cars clear the snow or at night when the frost hits the roads..

Ted Mendham
www.rensport.net
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

November 19, 2008 09:15AM
I agree that the tires will be wrong but it is much easier to get a car off the trailer with snows when there is no snow than with gravels and nice polished snow in the parking lot.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2008 09:16AM by Andrew_Frick.
david amor
david amor
Junior Moderator

November 20, 2008 12:18PM
Tall pines you ALWAYS leave with the snows on. I promise you will want to be on snows for A1. It has been cold. It has been wet. There will be ice in spots. One mistake here and it's into the rally ending ditches for you. You have been warned. Tall pines is the real deal.

Gone fishing
tedm
Ted Mendham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

November 24, 2008 05:21AM
Any stories folks?

We had another lame-o run. Lost third gear early. Almost ran it out of fuel on the third stage. It kept stalling on jumps. But we somehow made service. Odo crapped out. Wentwell off on the second running of Egan Creek, but managed to find a way out. Still finished 9th.

Saw lot's of carnage early, then the survivors mostly settled down. Drove on snow tires the whole time on what was 80% gravel. It's fun to listen to them howl on the hard packed gravel.

Ted Mendham
www.rensport.net
david amor
david amor
Junior Moderator

November 24, 2008 07:12AM
No stories from me but check out the stage times of some of the anarchists running on JVAB suspenders. Chris Martin went 4th fastest on A2, 3rd fastest on A3 then again 4th fastest on A4.

http://rallyscoring.com/results/2008/TallPines/index.htm

Gone fishing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2008 07:16AM by david amor.
Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

November 24, 2008 08:26AM
Stage A1, started well, but half way through the main battery cable chaffed through, and shorted out, Lost 15+ minutes on the side of the stage fixing it.

Stage A2, caught 2 cars on stage, got by one almost immediately, but followed another for a couple of KM's (no room to pass here). Still managed 4th O/A on this stage.

Stage A3, only caught 1 car close to the end, still followed for a KM or so, went 3rd fastest.

Stage A4, Convinced the marshalls to give us 2 minutes gap, and went 4th fastest again.

Stage A5, we were flying...literally. Went too fast over a jump...flew too far and we know how that ends...landed on the nose...

After we went out i went to check stage times...i generally start looking for my name somewhere around 10th or so...and couldn't find us until i started looking up!

Managed to completely trash 16 brand new Blizzaks between 2 cars, they were literally worn down to the allseason tread within 4 stages...but they were really the only choice.

Have a little bit of work to do to straighten out the rad support/etc now, but pretty pumped about Maniwaki now.

E85 kicks ass!! i only ran "low boost" (10psi) all day. had the 20PSI map at the flick of a switch, but could still spin the tires all the way through 4th.

Now off to fix stuff, figure out how to get E85 to start in the cold, and get alot more miles on it!

Chris
tedm
Ted Mendham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

November 24, 2008 10:37AM
Yeah, Chris you were flyin'!!!!!!!
Kudos

Dave, Stu never got those adapters. Still in my van.

Ted Mendham
www.rensport.net
CommanderSalamander
Dave Shindle/Navitron 2000
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Someone has to call the notes

Re: Rally of the Ted McGearless
November 26, 2008 08:36PM
tedm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Any stories folks?

> Odo crapped out.

Great. Zimmer's froze and we followed you on the transit to first pass of Lower Hastings (transit into the sun) thinking you knew where you were going.

> Wentwell off on the
> second running of Egan Creek, but managed to find
> a way out.

On the fast stuff at the start or end or the slow stuff in the middle. Seemed the final stretch was way slippy.

Our biggest 'oh shit' moment was going way-wide on the left following the back straight on the second pass of the super special.

> Drove on snow tires the
> whole time on what was 80% gravel. It's fun to
> listen to them howl on the hard packed gravel.

So did we. Sounded like tarmac tires on tarmac.

John Vanos
John Vanos
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2006 Subaru STI

November 27, 2008 06:33AM
Our event started out great, was in 4th place OA 3 seconds out of third....then the bake pedal started sticking on A4 about half way, makes it sort of hard to LFB when the pedal stays where you put it last! A5 my codriver gave no notes (at my request) in hopes hed feel ok enough to not puke...Didnt work, he puked a couple km's into the spectator stage...missed me for the most part!

A6 right before our in time Terry Epp says we have 2 wheel nuts missing...upon closer inspection 2 studs are atually sheared and we are now late into A6

Got through A6 carefully and still lost another stud but now the wheel bolt holes were elongating as the wheel was moving around a lot and we had to DNF, we still had another stage and a fair amount of transit before service and I didnt want to lose a wheel on a car at speed that wasnt even mine!

Very disappointing but thats how she goes I guess

Chris was flying taking 10+ seconds from us on every stage he was healthy
On A2 we came upon Seamus Burke who had stopped to see if Block was ok, once we arrived they took off and we followed, we got held up a fair bit by him, it was clear he didnt like his tires on that road!

Fun while it lasted, special mention of Peter K who was flying in the swift, I think he finished 8th OA, in his first national!
MRWmotorsports
Martin Walter
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Nissan 240SX

November 27, 2008 08:55PM
We had a blast, no real drama, I guess going to slow...
Had a flat in Peanut 2, couldn't make it up the big hill and had to back down to a safe spot and change it...lost 3 minutes before I got out of the car... 10 minutes total... That put us way down the order but we kept up a reasonable pace and others fell off the road. Wore out the snow tires after 6 stages, and didn't want to wear out the ice tires too early, so did the first eagen creek on gravels... that packed snow/ice was scary... alomst off into the trees on the fast stuff near the end... Gravles were the right tire for lower and middle old hastigs though... pity lower was cancelled that loop. We had to do it at transit speed. No reason for us not to run it that I could see... Mass confusion at middle hastings start when 4 teams checked in on the same minute. We ended up with a nice 3 minute gap so the dust was OK. Good clean run.

One more loop of the same 3 stages. Put the ice tires on this time :-)
Much better on the ice... no shit ... but took it pretty easy through the rough narrow stuff as I didn't feel like changing tires in the dark frozen forest! Lower old hastigs was dusty as hell, co-driver started puking after 300yds... no notes for the rest of the stages. 2 minute window for middle old hastings dind't make much difference... co-driver still puking, drove it blind... literaly!

Started 35th finished 15th even after a 10 minute tire change on stage. Had a blast. Need new ice tires for PN! Must get co-driver the patch.

Didn't break or bend any suspension... that I'm aware of yet, acr is still in teh trailer!

More than anything we had a blast.

And yeah, Peter K. was smoking fast in that swift, congrats!

-Martin.
Brian Johnson
Brian Johnson
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Co-Driver - Old School Motorsports WRX

November 28, 2008 08:18AM
MRWmotorsports Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We had a blast, no real drama, I guess going to
> slow...

> -Martin.

Slow, my ass. :-) You were flying and absolutely kicking our asses. Greg and I look forward to competing with you again next year Martin.

-Brian
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

December 01, 2008 01:33PM
We had a good rally, I love the stages at Tall Pines. This was the 3rd race for Ryan, my co-driver, and our goal was to finish. The recce really helped get our timing down and discuss where the notes were going to be tricky or needed to be simplified. Almost crashed my mother's outback on Egan Creek. Came over a crest and hit the breaks the ABS went off the whole way down the hill and I was able to only lightly bump the bank.

At the start of the rally we had a couple of cars ahead of us that wanted to swap places. Not sure how that worked in CA we had found an official and made the switch at the start of Upper Hastings. We caught the Robin in the rx-7 on peanut after passing Ken Block for the 2nd straight year grinning smiley made the pass safely but the Robin put the wrong turn signal on after we had started to pass which was a little bit of a pucker moment. We changed places at the next control. Thanks for letting us by.

2nd run through peanut I obviously did not slow down for the rocks enough. At the end of the stage we had 3 bulging sidewalls and 3 bent rims. One of the fronts was leaking a little bit of air. We decided to not change it for Iron Bridge and just backed off a little. At service we started playing musical chairs with the tires. We had 2 spare snows but only one was holding air so we put the spare on the car and then put the best of the rest on so we had 2 bent rims and one tire that was leaking air. We also found that one of the hits had damaged the ball joint on the drivers front. Ran Egan and then switched to a gravel tire in the rear for the Hastings stages.

After the transit of lower we had a good run through middle Hastings, the dust was not too bad at this point but we were wishing we had put lights on at the previous service. At service our crew had the last good snow remounted so we but it on the car and decided to run the gravel on the back for Egan Creek rather than one of the compromised snow tires. During the refueling the gas can was not flowing properly so we put as much as we could in the car.

We took it slow and we could see the lights of the car behind us at toward the end of the stage. The hastings stages were nasty with dust. I had to turn off the rally lights as I could see better with just the high beams most of the time. So we did a fair bit out of driving the headlights. Halfway through lower the low fuel light came on. So we were unsure if we were going to make it back to service since the car seemed to burning fuel faster than normal. I drove middle hastings at least one gear higher than I normally would and tried to be as light on the accelerator as possible. Got the car back to parc ferme. I was very happy with our 2nd in G2, and looking at the times it looks like we were competitive with everyone but Peter for most of the day. And the car drove under its own power into the garage on Sunday so that makes it a good rally.
Robin Fleguel
Robin Fleguel
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Stanley Steamer

December 02, 2008 10:20AM
Decided to give RWD a try, so bought Donnelly's RX-7, which had been sitting in a barn since I last co-drove it in 2001. Not carbon locked - but a few issues to sort out (brakes of course, starter, alternator, balljoint, oil leak, no reverse lights, no lights, no horn, no co-drivers seat, roof bar for the cage etc). Stock GSL-SE 13B with the Racing Beat Dellorto kit (intake, carb, header - still frikkin' LOUD). Sprongl 40mm Bilsteins on front and the RX7-ubiquitous Tokicos on the back (I know, I'll figure something out...)

Showed up with 6 gravels and 6 snow tires. It was cold - put the gravels away. If you know me, you know my recent record of fairly substantial offs in both the Soob and the Talon - so confidence a little bit down. Drove like a pussy - kept expecting the ass end to snap and drag me off into the ditch - which never happened. Decided that RWD is more like AWD than FWD is (I think that makes sense).

Car leaked fuel from top half of the tank - fuel sender's broke - no gauge, so this lasted a good part of the rally. Stopped in A1 for Chris Martin - no triangle or cross, I could see he was just getting back into the car but Jeffy made me stop anyway. As I got going Kocandrie caught me (I signaled him which side to pass - not that it wasn't obvious - and he had no trouble understanding and doing that :-p ) Chris was going again and right on his ass, so let him by too. Arranged to have Kocandrie start in front at the next control. The turn from the fast to the narrow on the Peanut was very slippy and slid wide. Puttered through the rough part - thankfully all the tricky parts were well-marked with triangles and bent cars - got no flats. Frick caught me toward the end - very narrow but I managed to pull to the left at an opening - on the left - apparently put the 'wrong' signal on and fell short of my responsibility for guiding someone else's car past me (is there a middle finger smilie on here somewhere?)

Started feeling more comfortable about half-way thru the regional and started having fun. Really enjoyed the RWD thing. Benefitted from Martin Walter having used up his snow tires (he ran Egan Creek on gravels which must have been tough) and lucked into a 2nd Group2 in the regional - way behind Kocandrie (who also ran out of snows but managed to find some more - from the other Suzuki I think.)

Fun times.
Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

December 02, 2008 12:15PM
Robin,

Sorry you guys stopped in A1. We were actually just about to drop the clutch and pull away when you came around the corner and the spectators/marshalls said stop!

Loved following you for the little bit...i love rotaries and the flames they spit!

Chris
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login