Posted by Gravity Fed 
somepants
Jeff McMillen
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Subaru RX

Re: Peltors no good after 12/31/2013
January 16, 2012 01:29PM
Sweet. Then my shiny new (last year) helmet is still legal in Canada until 4/2021. Would be great if RA accepted that rule too so I don't need to replace it here in the US of A. Or... I could sell it to a Canadian who can use if for years to come.

Anyone want to pay me some colorful monopoly money for a used for 2 hours Large Peltor G78?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Tom B
Tom B
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf

January 16, 2012 02:37PM
Morison
CARS just passed a rule change to recognise the BSI standard for 10 years after the date of manufacture of the helmet. If there is no date of manufacture indicated on the helmet, the expiry is 12/31/13.

All the more reason to run some canadian events, hard to believe they would implement a rule that makes sense when everyone else is willing to throw our hard earned money out the window.

The build dates are shown on the back of the god damn helmet!

-Tom
DemonRallyTeam | Fine Tuning | CTS Turbo & RP Turbos | RalleyTuned | JRM | Meister Autowerks
Spitfire EFI | Product Apparel | JVAB Imports | NLS | AP Tuning | USRT

Add us on Facebook | Next Event: 2013 Olympus Rally June 22-23 Olympia, WA
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

January 16, 2012 02:50PM
Tom B
Morison
CARS just passed a rule change to recognise the BSI standard for 10 years after the date of manufacture of the helmet. If there is no date of manufacture indicated on the helmet, the expiry is 12/31/13.

All the more reason to run some canadian events, hard to believe they would implement a rule that makes sense when everyone else is willing to throw our hard earned money out the window.

The build dates are shown on the back of the god damn helmet!

Unless someone has painted the helmet or it is just rubbed off or, or, or...

So here's what I don't know (amoung other things) has Peltor seen fit to upgrade their helmets voluntarily since 1985? Snell has gone thru nearly 1/2 a dozen upgrades, improvement, changes over that period of time. You really should ask why they chose not to run with a recognized modern standard when the rest of the world did? They certainly cost enough that a little savings on certs shouldn't bankrupt them.
Morison
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

January 16, 2012 02:59PM
during discussions, the CARS Technical director said that he researched the helmet standards and found that the BSI standard was significantly further ahead than the SA standard to the point that it wasn't until the 2005 standard that they could be seen as being equal. I can't vouch for the validity of that statement beyond saying that our technical director works with this sort of document on a regular basis and understands testing and standards.

In other words - a SA2000 helmet would not nessicarily have passed the BSI standard.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 03:00PM by Morison.
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

January 16, 2012 03:20PM
Morison
during discussions, the CARS Technical director said that he researched the helmet standards and found that the BSI standard was significantly further ahead than the SA standard to the point that it wasn't until the 2005 standard that they could be seen as being equal. I can't vouch for the validity of that statement beyond saying that our technical director works with this sort of document on a regular basis and understands testing and standards.

In other words - a SA2000 helmet would not nessicarily have passed the BSI standard.

Well I've tried to do that in the past and never could find any accessable printed info regarding the actual standard. Kind of hard to imagine that a 1985 safety standard would eclipse a 2000 safety standard if for no other reason the manufacturing techniques and materials that have have changed during that period. Funny that CARS would buck FIA on this standard and not the HNR issue.
HiTempguy
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

January 16, 2012 05:34PM
somepants

Anyone want to pay me some colorful monopoly money for a used for 2 hours Large Peltor G78?

G78's sell for about $450cdn now from what I understand as they are getting blown out. I know someone who'd buy it for under $400 if you wanted to part ways with it...
HiTempguy
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

January 16, 2012 05:45PM
heymagic
Funny that CARS would buck FIA on this standard and not the HNR issue.

Is there data compiled in North America (or even worldwide) as to the cause of death in rallying accidents?

Have the helmets not been doing their jobs? The need to have standards updated is various. The HNR situation (in my mind) is because there was a safety issue that wasn't addressed by the current equipment:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HANS_device

(an interesting read)

Helmets, on the other hand, have been doing their job (I'd think) of protecting the ol' noggin. Keith, I forget how the situation with insurance/sanctioning/etc works with CARS, but do they not deal with the FIA (I seem to remember someone once mentioning it was Terry Epp being one of the person's who worked on that sort of thing)? Who gets the final say in what flies and what doesn't (the insurer)?
Morison
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

January 16, 2012 07:16PM
HiTempguy
...I forget how the situation with insurance/sanctioning/etc works with CARS, but do they not deal with the FIA
Not Quite.
ASN Canada FIA, Canada's ASN or FIA recognised motorsports sanctioning body, negotiates a blanket policy for all amateur motorsoport events that are sanctioned by it or one of its territories. (WCMA is a territory of ASN Canada FIA)
Neither the broker nor the underwriter are as knowledgable in motorsports as ASN or its territories. They accept that the governing bodies will make the right decisions when it comes to safety and operations and write policies on that basis.

That leaves the onus to make reasonable rules to the people who have the knowledge to do so. Great - you say - spaghetti noodle cages for all. Not so fast. If ASN and the territories didn't make 'reasonable' decisions I am sure the broker and/or underwriter would have second thoughts.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

January 16, 2012 08:54PM
So somehow negating an FIA decision and supporting an obscure 1985 standard is considered reasonable? I'm afraid I don't get that one and I'm glad you and I aren't any part of that decision.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

January 17, 2012 05:23AM
im curious about my Hutchens Hybrid since i see no mention of in in the file on the FIAs page for neck restraints. Lots of HANS though. But the Hybrid has an FIA tag. So im confused.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
409industries
Aaron Ekinaka
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2001 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS

January 17, 2012 03:06PM
Definitely subscribed to this topic, bought a brand new Peltor G78 last year and only have one event on it. I'm not going to be a happy camper if NRS and RA won't allow these past 2013.

-Aaron
http://www.dirtyimpreza.com
tipo158
Alan Perry
Godlike Moderator

January 17, 2012 03:36PM
Gravity Fed
im curious about my Hutchens Hybrid since i see no mention of in in the file on the FIAs page for neck restraints. Lots of HANS though. But the Hybrid has an FIA tag. So im confused.

Technical List 29 is the list of FIA 8858-2010 compliant H&NR (or Frontal Head Restraints (FHR), in FIA-speak). The second item on the list is Safety Solutions SSI Contoured Med. Every other item on the list looks like a HANS model to me, so I guess that is it. What does the FIA tag say for the Homologation No.? FHR.002.10-B?

alan
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

January 17, 2012 03:42PM
409industries
Definitely subscribed to this topic, bought a brand new Peltor G78 last year and only have one event on it. I'm not going to be a happy camper if NRS and RA won't allow these past 2013.

RA is definitely not allowing them after 2013, NRS who knows? Maybe Anders? With the way NRS is doing business they may well allow leather football helmets...grinning smiley
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

January 19, 2012 06:50PM
heymagic
409industries
With the way NRS is doing business they may well allow leather football helmets...grinning smiley

That's for the Stage Coach class!

Jon Burke - KI6LSW
Blog: http://psgrallywrx.blogspot.com/
heymagic
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

January 19, 2012 09:10PM
Seriously tho...

1990 Snell: 150 joules (energy) and 110j and 300g resultant peak acceleration(all anvils),
BS 1985: 141j and 70j and 300g for the flat anvil, 123j and 63j for the sphere anvil.

Kind of seems Snell 1990 surpassed BS 85 in the impact numbers. So someone would have to exceed BS quite a bit to match Snell minimum from what I see. IF Peltor was so clairvoyant as to be able to match a standard that was 20 years in the future they should have seen the FIA ruling coming....they must have a couple Mayan engineers on staff.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login