Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Screw Chumpcar and Lemons racing-why can't we FolkRace?

Posted by RALLYRS 
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

Re: Screw Chumpcar and Lemons racing-why can't we FolkRace?
August 11, 2013 07:33PM
Beaterx was the best. Was that a MotoX track???
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

August 11, 2013 08:02PM
Beatercross does look the closest. Just need a bit more length and a little less car busting jumps.
Greg Donovan
Greg Donovan
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
95 Impreza Sedan

August 12, 2013 09:32AM
sidewaez
Blake Lind
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
orange AE86

August 12, 2013 10:24AM
Dirt cheap rally never happened, getting a dirt course to hold up for that long would be impossible. They wanted us to use street tires too which would come off the bead about once a lap.
Pete
Pete Remner
Mod Moderator

August 12, 2013 12:00PM
danster
I am also a bit miffed that your capacity classes seem to start where ours end!! Generally we have up to 1300cc, then 1600, then 2000, then over.

That's because there's maybe two rally-friendly cars that were sold here under 1600cc and a couple more under 2000cc...

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

August 12, 2013 06:36PM
sidewaez
Dirt cheap rally never happened, getting a dirt course to hold up for that long would be impossible. They wanted us to use street tires too which would come off the bead about once a lap.

Blake-

so you talked to this dirt cheap rally organizer guy?

And yeah-rules said only 2 brands of all season car tire-then later they added
" Tire selection is widened to any all-season radial with non-aggressive tread. The BFG Radial T/A is absolutely as aggressive as will be allowed. If in doubt, email erik@dirtcheaprally.com and ask for permission to use a certain tire. Applies to all cars, ‘real’ rally cars included.

Silly..trying to keep bite down to keep speeds down?

Did he ever say anything about getting this series going again?

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

August 12, 2013 06:51PM
Greg Donovan
Beatercross does look the closest. Just need a bit more length and a little less car busting jumps.

Yeah-course is a tad short but since we probably aren't going to have a lot of pickins' as far as facilities to do this depending on where we live this is something we'll probably have to live with.

And the jumps-great for spectators-not so much for competitors wanting to run as many races as they can in a car with "stock suspension".

The beaterx rules for suspension..

"Stock suspension
(OEM or Aftermarket suspensions are okay, no
performance shocks,
no changing geometry or mounting locations, okay to reinforce suspension and shock mounting must remain stock"

What the hell does stock suspension-oem or aftermarket mean?
Probably-a dodge or moog coil is ok for your neon-but not a swift spring 1" taller and 50% stiffer?

How do you define a "performance shock?
Bilstein bad-monroe good?

Anyone know how strict these guys are with beaterx rules-or how long a car lasts racing it?

Post up Here:

and here:

RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

August 12, 2013 07:33PM
Email sent to the dirt cheap rally organizer....Erik.

I invited him here......don't know if he'll respond..hope so.

Post up Here:

and here:

DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

August 12, 2013 10:24PM
RALLYRS
Greg Donovan

Yeah-course is a tad short but since we probably aren't going to have a lot of pickins' as far as facilities to do this depending on where we live this is something we'll probably have to live with.

And the jumps-great for spectators-not so much for competitors wanting to run as many races as they can in a car with "stock suspension".

The beaterx rules for suspension..

"Stock suspension
(OEM or Aftermarket suspensions are okay, no
performance shocks,
no changing geometry or mounting locations, okay to reinforce suspension and shock mounting must remain stock"

What the hell does stock suspension-oem or aftermarket mean?
Probably-a dodge or moog coil is ok for your neon-but not a swift spring 1" taller and 50% stiffer?

How do you define a "performance shock?
Bilstein bad-monroe good?

Anyone know how strict these guys are with beaterx rules-or how long a car lasts racing it?

Beater X exists because the owners make money on it. They stopped doing motocross there since it didn't pay the bills, they always have a crowd on beater x night. So that being said, the jumps aren't going anywhere or getting smaller. This racing is for the fans not the drivers. They actually do a really good job building and maintaining the jumps between heats. If a jump or landing isn't working they fix it (for the fans).

They're strict on the rules because its mostly self governed. Someone will call you out if you're cheating and the pits are open to everyone. It's beater x, not slightly modified stock car x. Oem or aftermarket means just that. Oem or oem replacement. Just like rally, how well a car is built will dictate how long it lasts. Some cars have nice cages on solid bodies and last years, others are rusted shit and don't make it through the night. Safety has been ramping up slowly, cages have been changing and they've added 5 pt harnesses this year. I sure as hell wouldn't do it without a Hans but most do.

Since most people have rusted shit boxes with blown shocks, bald tires, and are burning oil it's not hard to find a way to be competitive. Hell, fresh tires would probably put you on the podium.

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 13, 2013 04:36PM
RALLYRS
With costs similar(ideally substantially LESS!) than Chumpcar or LeMons.

What costs? Build cost or entry fees?
Our entry fee for the uncoming race is $250 per person. That's for 4-5 hours of seat time...
Build costs aren't going to be much cheaper. Overwhelmingly the expensive part is NOT the car but IS the running costs and the safety equipment.

Grant Hughes
Pete
Pete Remner
Mod Moderator

August 13, 2013 04:47PM
NoCoast
RALLYRS
With costs similar(ideally substantially LESS!) than Chumpcar or LeMons.

Our entry fee for the uncoming race is $250 per person. That's for 4-5 hours of seat time...
Build costs aren't going to be much cheaper. Overwhelmingly the expensive part is NOT the car but IS the running costs and the safety equipment.

We figured $4000/race for Lemons for everything including entry fees for all drivers if you already have a car. Tires and fuel and hotel and entry fees and fuel and broken things and stuff all cost money.

I can do a track day for $300 with expenses, and get just as much seat time, and it's just as much "racing" as Lemons is. And I can do it any weekend I want and I don't have to come up with some shitty art-car "theme" to do it.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2013 04:50PM by Pete.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 13, 2013 05:20PM
Pete
We figured $4000/race for Lemons for everything including entry fees for all drivers if you already have a car. Tires and fuel and hotel and entry fees and fuel and broken things and stuff all cost money.

I can do a track day for $300 with expenses, and get just as much seat time, and it's just as much "racing" as Lemons is. And I can do it any weekend I want and I don't have to come up with some shitty art-car "theme" to do it.

We spent $6328.75 excluding meals and hotels to build and enter our first race.

$300 with expense for just as much seat time... That is more expensive than my $250 plus expenses technically...

Our event costs were $2780 for the first event. Estimated event costs for next one are $3000 with around $250 in reprep. We (Dave) scored a deal on some tires which saved us some loot.

We do Chump because I have no interest in the circus theme stuff. Though we did paint our car like a Goose.

Grant Hughes
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

August 13, 2013 10:01PM
[/quote]
Build costs aren't going to be much cheaper. Overwhelmingly the expensive part is NOT the car but IS the running costs and the safety equipment.[/quote]

Oh-sorry Grant.
I meant build cost.

Since it looks like this beater-x series in Mn. seems to be successful:

http://erstarnews.com/2012/08/24/racing-erx-closes-beatercross-season-before-nice-crowd/

I think I'll look at this as a model that could work at different tracks in America.
It ain't exactly Folkrace-but in the ballpark.

Using a moto-x track like these guys did-seems a good idea and there are quite a few of them around the country.

And by the way-the entry cost for a race is $40 for a payout class,$30 non -payout.
I think I can manage that!

Payout for placing: 1st place - $300, 2nd place - $200, 3rd place - $100-not bad when you are having fun anyway.

This is all according to their start page:

http://www.erxmotorpark.com/beatercross.html

So-getting back to build cost...

The rules:

http://www.erxmotorpark.com/2013_ERXMotorPark_Beater-X_Rules.pdf

..now say you have to have a cage-starting summer 2014-it's a 6 point-but apparently a 4 point would suffice before that date.

Apparently they have someone building the cages(at least the older 4 points) for $200.

http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?49569-Lucas-Oil-quot-Beater-Cross-quot-on-TV-from-Elk-River-MN

Here's a better thread with references to a complete -ready to race beater-x car for $900, and some other decent info:

http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?43237-Beater-X

So .. the cage requirement/cost is very basic.

You pick up a used race seat and a 5 point harness and a $500 pos....

I think you could build something for around $1000 ish-don't you guys think?

Or maybe step it up a bit-and build something a tad more solid and spend a little more on the initial shitter car...

Post up Here:

and here:

BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

August 14, 2013 10:20AM
Pete
Because there is too much vaginal silicosis, that's why.

The last Lemons race I was even remotely involved with, the car that the competitors decided to have crushed (the oil glass engine-fucker treatment) was a 944 because it was a Porsche. Mind you, it was running in something like 122nd out of 124 entrants after twelve hours, but screw those guys we need to fuck them up.

Vaginal silicosis any time there are people sharing a track.

The LeMons race at Nelson Ledges? I remember that green 944, was a nice looking car though. Honestly must have been shit up close and driven by bad drivers. I've see way too many cars that are way over a $500 budget at LeMons. It's all a bunch of cheaters and you buy a few bottles of top shelf booze to schmooze over the judges and you pass tech with no penalty laps.

The organizer said at tech he won't buy cars because he already has enough at his house. So what's the point of the $500 organizer purchase clause? At that point you just disguise your cheating, sandbag until some other chump gets voted people's curse and then turn up the wick and race your real race car. I just find it ubsurd when I see a nice e30 or even e36 BMW show up to these events. Just no fucking way they are $500 cars.

You need to put the purchase power into the hands of the drivers really. Fuck breaking cars (although this is 'Merica and we love crashing/breaking stuff) and they just need to ban them from the race.
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:

August 14, 2013 11:00AM
Yeah-seeing all the stupid stuff they do that has nothing to do with racing at LeMons-I'd run ChumpCar instead of that if I were gonna cheap-roadrace....

Post up Here:

and here:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login