Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Screw Chumpcar and Lemons racing-why can't we FolkRace?

Posted by RALLYRS 
danster
Haggis Muncher
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

Re: Screw Chumpcar and Lemons racing-why can't we FolkRace?
August 19, 2013 12:08PM
john vanlandingham
Naw, it ain't that much fun, especially with shit-box shit cars..
Several times I've attacked moto-cross courses with some innocent unsuspecting Saab---which unlike the POS little shit box junk comes with nice 15" wheels, and has stock gearing at 4.88 so it has some axx.
And it was funny as hell but the honest truth is 2 times we had been smoking some pretty good spliff---and the other time we had eaten huge handfuls of Psilocybin 'shrooms...ahhhh my mid 30s...how i miss those days.. Well it could have been early 40s too---tee heee!

Pics or it didn't happen...........ok here is some recently found footage. smoking smiley

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
Please Login or Register to post a reply
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

August 19, 2013 02:56PM
john vanlandingham
Several times I've attacked moto-cross courses with some innocent unsuspecting Saab---which unlike the POS little shit box junk comes with nice 15" wheels, and has stock gearing at 4.88 so it has some axx.
And it was funny as hell but the honest truth is 2 times we had been smoking some pretty good spliff---and the other time we had eaten huge handfuls of Psilocybin 'shrooms...ahhhh my mid 30s...how i miss those days.. Well it could have been early 40s too---tee heee!

So maybe if they allowed---no! I got it!
Maybe if they MANDATED that you be like on shrooms or waaaaaaaaaaay stoned then bouncing along in some slow no-powered thing on the edge of losing control and flipping on the side at any second could be "entertaining"..

Fortunately according to Wiki:
Psilocybin[nb 1] (/?s?l??sa?b?n/ SIL-?-SY-bin) is a naturally occurring psychedelic compound produced by more than 200 species of mushrooms, collectively known as psilocybin mushrooms.The most potent are members of the genus Psilocybe, such as P. azurescens, P. semilanceata, and P. cyanescens, but psilocybin has also been isolated from about a dozen other genera. As a prodrug, psilocybin is quickly converted by the body to psilocin, which has mind-altering effects similar to those of LSD, mescaline, and DMT. The effects generally include euphoria, visual and mental hallucinations, changes in perception, a distorted sense of time, and spiritual experiences,.
Some users of the drug consider it an entheogen and a tool to supplement practices for transcendence, including meditation and psychonautics.[/color]"

Now i personally believe that the main and lasting value of what we do when playing with cars or bikes or ski or whatever---if we do it long enough and challenge ourselves is just this very last thing--the reach for trancendence, so maybe mandatory 'shroom prepped beater-cross could be a good developmental step on that road...

Folk-race having watched a few is impressively fast. They get going.. Gearing is found by many guys who get good cars that came with 15" who just go to 13", guys mill heads 2-3mm and use reground cams nastier than is common here on rally cars--and the tracks are Folk-race tracks---smoother for the innocent cars, wider, generous radius turns..

Not saying something like Beater-cross" is bad, or can't be done, but bouncing up and down in first, bog in second and getting stuck, unless on good drugs, doesn't seem it would be sustainable..

Ahh..memories of my youth..growing up in Los Angeles suburbia-I was at least lucky to be in the hills-literally 300ft from our doorstep the dirts roads started-a network of-some- wide fireroads,and mostly-twisty, climbing ,relatively smooth and narrow dirt roads with cliffs on one side and cut out hillside on the other,and several steep hillclimb trails-some of them climbable with 2wd-some not.

My group of friends-their parents had money to some extent-but not like some of the kids I went to school with.
No-no shiny new car or 4x4 for us-no-we all had beaters...

And of course we disappeared whenever possible into the hills to do speed runs or see how far our 2wd car could make it up that 4x4 hillclimb.

And good or bad- suffice to say-especially at night-a good chunk of my car control skills(learned intentionally or sometimes otherwise)were learned under less than sober conditions...

But getting back to Folkrace vs beaterx-totally agree-when I watch vids of Folkrace they look much more entertaining.

Higher speeds-smoother tracks-more tight-SKILLED racing.

When I watched the rolling ranch and beaterx-I thought.....something's missing....

Ha ha-speed- is one thing!

I mean-beaterx would be better than nothing-they can be done at an existing moto-x track,and I don't see how the car prep could be any cheaper.

BUT-yeah..the course is kept wet and ground up so the speeds never get too fun,and the course design is slow and tight.......

Not at all like FolkRace...

Problem is finding a nice flowing smooth dirt track in the U.S.

And I'd prefer to build the car to a higher level than these beater-x cars..

If you noticed..when I posted the youtube video of what course I was thinking of running on in MY neck of the woods-it wasn't a moto-x track.

That property actually has moto-x tracks on it-but I was thinking more open,higher speeds and some width,at least in some areas..

It may not be quite the actual folkrace course..but you have to start somewhere.

I'm going to have a little chat with my rallycross organizer and see what he thinks...

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 19, 2013 03:16PM
danster
john vanlandingham

Pics or it didn't happen...........ok here is some recently found footage. smoking smiley

Danny, you really have to believe now, OK?

We used to think those great films were documentaries...

Ya know? Like live action, cameras just following guys around..
We ALL went thru things like those guys filmed..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
RALLYRS
Mike Ball
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Nope...I wish...RWD 2 Door Jeep XJ 4.0 5-spd Dirt-o-cross car(we have no grass!)2.3 ZX3 rallyx car(sold)

August 21, 2013 10:05PM
So I've been looking more closely at some of the cars in the Folkrace vids-man they really are beat!

Anyway-what fun!

This Mr. Wall guy can drive-car goes and sounds good too:

But-yeah in rallycross- It ain't a tree that jumps out and gets you...

I watch Top Gear sometimes,but hadn't seen these:

................................................. .....................

Support your Local North American Rally Forum!!

While they are still around-and get the hell off Farsebook!!

We still have Specialstage & RallyAnarchy.

Post up Here:

https://rallyanarchy.com/phorum/posting.php

and here:

https://www.specialstage.com/forums/forum.php
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

August 23, 2013 09:50AM
We have folkraces every Friday and Saturday night all across America. Same kind of POSes, but they only turn left. Figure out a way to build a multi-directional course in a 1/4 mile dirt oval, and your wish could come true.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login