Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Am I going to need another Volvo?

Posted by DR1665 
Francois
Francois Poirier
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Open class Laser RS (RIP), 242 GT on the way!

Re: Am I going to need another Volvo?
June 17, 2008 05:15PM
DR1665 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Haztoys Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----

> The one thing I really need right now is the
> front-most 8" of an 89-92 Galant so I can get this
> GVR4 back on the road. Once it's on the road, I
> will sell the 245 and begin looking for my cheap
> 242/244. I'll also clean the shit out of my Talon
> and sell it to cage the Volvo I get.

I have 2 friends who converted their 2000 GTX to VR-4 front end, they may still have some parts for you at a very good price if you don't care about the look.

Francois
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Haztoys
David Rodgers
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
90 Mitsu truck ..And needing something new just not sure what..???

June 18, 2008 12:44AM
So your after the front clip .......Right...? ... I'll do some digging up here.. Is your car realy that bad to have to have the car cut,,,??? Are you sure it can't be fixed ...And yes I was the tall thin wise ass that was at Rogers place ..If you remember I wondered up and looked at your VR4...You posted pics of your car and the wreck did not look that bad ...Pics are one thing seeing it up close some thing different I know..Have you tryed to pull on it any ,,,??.. "I" would at least try to pull it ...You should pull on it any how before you cut it ...It ends up a strater car in the end ..

112 ........How the fu%#k do you people live down there..I get to run the killer roads up here any time I like ...Thats why I live here ...LOL..

DR1665
Brian Driggs
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

June 18, 2008 06:14PM
2000GTX would be nice. I'm an Eagle guy first and foremost, but I digress.

I've lashed the upper and lower core support rails to the Amigo and gave them a couple gentle "adjustments." It looks pretty straight, but the lower core support, which is supposed to be box-like, has been smashed almost flat. My current concern revolves around locating the AC condenser and radiator properly.

http://www.dr1665.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=1062
In this picture, the almost flattened lower core support is on the passenger side. It should profile like this [] , but it's more like this /] . Next to impossible to get in there, so I've taken to pounding it into itself to make room.

There are two tabs into which pegs on the base of the radiator are set. This locates the radiator in place along with a couple braces bolted over similar pegs on the top. If you've seen one Mitsu radiator set up, you've seen this deal. I've got one of them (driver's side) looking good, but the other side, behind the mangled lower core support, isn't so good. I'm toying with the idea of snagging a pallet from behind the shop, breaking it down, and building myself something of a form to place behind all this which could be pulled forward in unison. Dunno yet.

My other concern is that the bumper cover installed to the bumper. The bumper was mangled and heavy and I opted to toss it rather than move it to the house. On top of that, the two larger supports which the bumper mounted to are twisted and almost ripped off the car. (They did their job, for sure.) I suspect I will need to have them cut off and replaced with something custom (read: simple, like a pipe bumper).

http://www.dr1665.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=725
See that mangled mess of steel between the lights hanging, there? That's one of those mounts I suspect will have to be replaced.

Finally, while I only need to get the radiator in there and plumbed in order to make the car drivable, if I want any boost, I'm going to have to get some piping in there for the new FMIC. This is something of a fun project that I'm looking forward to, but with it being so damn hot right now, I'm in a bind - It's so hot that I need to get this car back on the road for the AC, but it's so hot that I don't want to work on it!

Damned if you do. Damned if you don't.

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2008 06:19PM by DR1665.
Haztoys
David Rodgers
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

June 18, 2008 09:02PM
Sorry to see your toy all smashed ... As someone how does this sort of thing to pay the bills and has fixed lots of stuff like this ...I think you missed what I was trying to say...You need to pull it as strate as you can before you cut the car .. I can see the the core support should be replaced.. But to do this you need to pull on it until the wheel wells are strate not careing about the core support ...So you will have something strate the weld the new core support to..Once the wheel wells are strate.. You can drill the spot welds and remove the bad core support very EZ.. It looks like the strut towers are good are they..??..Your going to hate me for this but I have a frame machine ..But I moved my shop and its not set up ..Its sitting it the weeds out in the north forty..And know real place to put it.. Wow 117 is hot .. Going to the junk yards up here soon need some stuff for a car I'm doing ..I'll see what I find ...If I can help let me know...
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

June 19, 2008 01:25PM
Ah. Gotcha.

I've never bought a core support by itself before. I would imagine the yards wouldn't be eager to cut up a front clip like that. Despite how I have no need for the lights, grille, bumper cover, radiator and all that. Have you ever picked up just a core support? I recall seeing $2000 JDM front clips with powertrain and I've bought $1200 clips sans engine/trans, but I'm curious if I could snag something like this for just a couple hundred bucks or so.

Haztoys
David Rodgers
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

June 19, 2008 02:50PM
Done lots of core supports..Your thinking is off..Your thinking its a 07 car that someone wants ... No one wants a 91 FWD plane jane Gaylant..No one is going to "clip' an 91 Gaylant...The only people fixing these cars own a GVR4 like you .. One of the reasons I got into Mitsu's in the junk yards the parts are free know one wants them ...If its a Toyota they want big money for the parts do to people wanting them..I'm sure if you bring all the smashed parts from your car you will get a better price ...Old Mitsu cars are just tonage to a junk yard..The price of scrap is so high this days.. They do not have to sell parts..There making so much on just crushed scrap.. I trade tonage for tonage with the yards up here..If I see a car or metal up here no one wants I grap it if its something I do not want ..The junk yard owner sure does..Have not payed for parts in years..You get what you give in this world.. Been friends with the yard owner for years..He never sells Mitsu parts ..They go strate to the crush stack...No market for them..I'm not a guy who know alot about what fits what on a GVR4 ...I'm into Talons..But knowing mother Mitsu I'll bet a FWD core support would work..Moss should know..Roger should know.."I" would get the sawzall and off to the pick apart ..Cut the donor car at the front of the tower.. Get the clip home ..Drill the spot weld ..They make a spot weld bit just for this..And remove the core .. Its nice to have a strate core around as your pulling on the wrecked car.. So you can see were your at...Like I said ..Get the sides of the car strate first...I've come across cars that it would of been EZer to replace the core support then try to fix the one they tryed to fix..And it looked like ass once it was done ..I'm sure you have opened a hood in your travels to see a core support that was realy ugly..That should of been replaced..Replace it you'll have a much nicer car in the end..

I'm sure they'll be more then happy to sell you parts ...Mitsu's are just tonage to most yards..And if you have any metal you need gone do some trading..Yards make money two ways ..Sell parts and sell scrap metal ..

David

Hazardous Toys inc
Francois
Francois Poirier
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Open class Laser RS (RIP), 242 GT on the way!

June 19, 2008 03:40PM
I don't know if it's available for an 91 VR-4 but a DSM or 94+ Galant core support are like 50-70$ brand new on ebay.

I know a few ppl who used them on 2G DSM without any major issues (just a bit of adjustement since it's a wrecked car).

this one is for a 01-02 Galant, but maybe the seller can have some for your's

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/_Car-Truck-Parts-Accessories__MITSUBISHI-GALANT-02-03-RADIATOR-SUPPORT-CORE-CAR-NEW_W0QQitemZ260253230128QQadnZCarQ20Q26Q20TruckQ20PartsQ20Q26Q20AccessoriesQQadiZ2865QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item260253230128&;

Francois
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

June 19, 2008 04:08PM
Holy shit. All this time I could have probably got it for under $200 on Ebay?

Now I want to get mine straight, cut it off, and take it to a local yard to see if they're up for a trade. tongue sticking out smiley

If there's anything cheaper than a rally car mechanic, it's a DSM rally car mechanic! tongue sticking out smiley

Haztoys
David Rodgers
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

June 19, 2008 04:27PM
OH shit I forgot theres one of the biggest auto body parts houses on th west coast down there...But I can't remember there name ...But I googled and call a place or three ...(602) 233 3300 did not get the name ...Core was $80.00 hood was $99... $39 each on finders in the box new and in the valley ..No cutting no drilling no mess....Did not ask on GVR4 ..I just asked 91 Gaylant...You get to do the home work..

Now bitch ..winking smiley ...Why is that car not fixed...Thats a rare car needs to be fixed

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2008 10:20PM by Haztoys.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

June 20, 2008 01:21PM
Oh man. You are positively evil.

I had checked with Certi-fit a couple times, as I know they have a lot of NIB parts like that, but they didn't list the E39 chassis on their catalog. I'll try that number and see what I can find.

Damnit all to hell if it's not 2wks to payday. sad smiley

Guess that means there's time to get that front end straight. I'm lucky that the unibody is fine as far as 6" in front of the strut towers. Just a little snip-snip, bangy-bang, savvy?

Haztoys
David Rodgers
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

June 20, 2008 11:47PM
I to called Sorta-fit first...When they said that they did not have the parts ..I ask were to go nexted ...And Sorta-fit people gave me the line on the number that I gave you...Strange that I had to ask and they never said to you to look here or there. ...

So I realy cheater ...tongue sticking out smiley...LOL...But I'm sure you do not mind...

Hope you get her back on the road and look me up next time your up the hill..
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

June 30, 2008 01:07PM
Aw, man! FAIL.

Certi-fit = no dice
AutoPartsNation = bupkis
KT AutoBody = denied
Keystone = negative, ghostrider

So now I need to grab a cordless sawzall and start visiting yards, I guess.

Made me sad.

alkun
Albert Kun
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

June 30, 2008 01:59PM
So the answer is yes, you do need another volvo. You were going to make a rally car from a model you can't find body parts for? Easy to see where that story will end up. Sometimes I sneak volvo parts back INTO the pick-n-pull because there are so many and I don't want to pay to take them to the dump.

Viva 240!

-Al
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

June 30, 2008 02:26PM
alkun Wrote:
> So the answer is yes, you do need another volvo.
> You were going to make a rally car from a model
> you can't find body parts for? Easy to see where
> that story will end up. Sometimes I sneak volvo
> parts back INTO the pick-n-pull because there are
> so many and I don't want to pay to take them to
> the dump.
>
> Viva 240!
>
> -Al

Haha! Nice one, Al. We sort of shifted to talk about fixing my Galant VR4. winking smiley

Haztoys
David Rodgers
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

June 30, 2008 06:36PM
DR1665 Wrote:
> Aw, man! FAIL.
>
> Certi-fit = no dice
> AutoPartsNation = bupkis
> KT AutoBody = denied
> Keystone = negative, ghostrider
>
> So now I need to grab a cordless sawzall and start
> visiting yards, I guess.
>
> Made me sad.
>
> Brian DR1665 | Phoenix, AZ
> 86 245GL - daily | 91 GVR4 - rally project

Strange maybe they miss herd what I said ...? Sorry on that ..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login