Posted by tedm 
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

Re: Super Production build?
September 25, 2008 10:52PM
LOL, thanks. yeah, I'm not there yet. I have a spare 2.5L block that needs to be built out, so maybe that's next year's project winking smiley My current engine CR is 8.2:1

oh look, trickle down rally economics at work grinning smiley

2009 Subaru Contingency Program for Rally America Teams

Subaru of America is once again providing contingency support for Rally America National and Regional competitors in Subaru vehicles. Subaru’s generous 2009 National Championship support will switch from PGT to the more inclusive new Super Production class, and 2002 to current Impreza models will be eligible for the higher payouts under plan “A”. All currently eligible Subaru PGT vehicles will continue to be eligible in the new Super Production class. Also continuing for 2009 is a program whereby participating eligible regional competitors will receive a start fund for all classes in national championship support events:

Subaru press release:

(September 25, 2008) Subaru of America Inc. announced today that it will continue its support of Subaru drivers in the 2009 Rally America National Championship. The 2009 Subaru Rally Support program, which began in 2005, continues to represent the largest total prize payouts in North American rallying with a total purse of nearly $115,000. The biggest change to the program for 2009 will be a shift of prize money from the Production GT (PGT) class to the newly announced Super Production class (SP).

The all-new Super Production class was recently created by Rally America to offer a compromise between the top-tier Open class and the more restrictive Production GT class. This new category will provide a playground for 2002-2008 Subaru WRX and STI models among others and should prove to be the most hotly contested Rally America class championship in 2009. Nearly $13,000 per event will be available to participants, with the top finishing Subaru SP class finisher netting $3000. Prize payouts will be awarded to the top 10 finishing Subaru SP class registrants.

The SP class will appeal to many Subaru drivers because it allows several key modifications to Subaru WRX and/or STI model rally cars to make them more affordable to prepare and run as well as more competitive overall compared to the PGT class. This includes allowing vehicles to be updated or backdated within a body style of the model. Additionally the rules allow the fitting of hydraulic handbrakes and allow for many more brake modifications compared to the PGT class. The SP class will also feature a larger turbo inlet restrictor than the PGT class, 34mm versus 32mm, allowing SP cars to produce potentially more power.

"By creating this new class, Rally America acknowledges the growing field of rally-capable cars in the U.S. market and has made a substantial step forward in making the sport more accessible and inclusionary," explains James Han of Subaru of America, Inc. "Subaru is pleased to support the efforts of Rally America and proud to offer the most lucrative contingency program in U.S. rally to support the efforts of eligible Subaru privateers."

In addition to support to SP class participants at Rally America National Championship events, Subaru of America Inc., will also offer a $200 'start fund' to any class Subaru entered in a Rally America Regional rally that runs concurrent to a national event weekend.

The 2009 Subaru Rally Support Program is administered and managed by Vermont SportsCar. For complete rules and information on how to register please visit rally.subaru.com

For more information about the Rally America's new Super Production class please read through the latest bulletin outlining the class: www.rally-america.com
or contact Rally America directly: www.rally-america.com

Jon Burke - KI6LSW
Blog: http://psgrallywrx.blogspot.com/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2008 10:56PM by Jon Burke.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
tedm
Ted Mendham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
once upon a time drove WRX, Sentra, SAAB 99

September 26, 2008 07:25AM
Jon,
Thanks for posting this. I was about to do the same.
That's what I'm talking about! Like it or not, this has to looked at.
Ted

Ted Mendham
www.rensport.net
david amor
david amor
Mega Moderator

September 26, 2008 07:36AM
Well this makes me want to get serious again. I wonder just how illegal my car would be in SP. Now where'd that link to the proposed rules go? Any co-drivers listening? my long time co-driver is mostly retired.

......the hunger in me returns..........

Edit; never mind. My car is irrevocably OPEN!!!

Gone fishing

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2008 07:52AM by david amor.
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

September 26, 2008 10:55AM
yeah, its cool...but impossible for me as I'd have to do another engine build back DOWN to 2.0L, repurchase a stock td-04, stock intercooler (Eli, give me back my intercooler! LOL), stock ecu, etc, etc, etc. All for 1 RA event not near me? (seed 9).

I'll just keep my car as-is and 'do what I want'. Which has been the plan all along grinning smiley

I just wish they'd do stuff for NASA events as well, when they do THAT, they you know they're REALLY supporting the sport.

BUT, it will be interesting to see how this new class does. Sounds like the first couple Subaru SP-class players will be getting some cash for sure.

Jon Burke - KI6LSW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2008 10:58AM by Jon Burke.
gilbrock
Eli Gilbert
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
91 Galant, 02 WRX

September 26, 2008 11:16AM
You might be able to have it back, I'm on the fence about PGT. Too much money in new parts to get it back to PGT, and I'd rather go nuts with lightening and a nicer tranny I think. I dunno, decisions decisions....
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

September 26, 2008 11:31AM
gilbrock Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You might be able to have it back, I'm on the
> fence about PGT. Too much money in new parts to
> get it back to PGT, and I'd rather go nuts with
> lightening and a nicer tranny I think. I dunno,
> decisions decisions....

NP, just don't chuck it. If you don't use it, I'll get it back from you at some point and use to to practice welding w/aluminum.

Jon Burke - KI6LSW
Pete
Pete Remner
Mod Moderator

September 26, 2008 08:47PM
tedm Wrote:
> Why water down the Meth?
>
> Ted Mendham
> www.rensport.net

Why dilute the water?

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
tedm
Ted Mendham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:

WRX is junk, need STi!
September 30, 2008 05:42AM
http://www.specialstage.com/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=1085&cat=all

"This is a 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX we started to prep as a PGT class rally car but stopped almost immediately as the rules changed so we are selling it to search for an STI instead. So this car is immediately available."

Ted Mendham
www.rensport.net
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

October 02, 2008 08:54AM
http://www.y2kimports.com/parts04to06sti.htm

This is a place local in the Detroit area. They pick up any and all salvage title STIs in the area (and beyond) and then part them out in kits.

$3500 for 04/05 trans
$4000 for 06 trans
$4500 for 07 trans

$600 for R160 rear diff.

Not as cheap as the $3000 for everything but still well under the $6000 quote that some have said.

I'm pretty sure once (and that is IF, I still might be a G2 slut for life) I rally subarus, these guys will be on my #1 speed dial.
tedm
Ted Mendham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:

October 02, 2008 10:09AM
Billy,
That's great, but the big picture is gonna cost more. I would want to control that fancy center diff. The 1/2 shafts are different. Might as well put on the later hubs too. And a group-n brake kit to bolt on those nice hubs. And new struts. The ears are different. And the big rear end. Oh yeah the carriers are differnt. How about the drive-shaft? New clutch. Might as well get the kit, from a mall parking lot. ;-)

Ted Mendham
www.rensport.net
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

October 02, 2008 11:31AM
^^yeah! that's what I've been sayin'...lol. its not 'just the tranny' unfortunately, and again, all you're doing is 'keeping up' with the existing STI's that only had to get the group-N brake kits.

Jon Burke - KI6LSW
tedm
Ted Mendham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:

October 02, 2008 11:43AM
It's a monster and it NEEDS to be fed!
Maybe that Paulson dude will fund it.

Ted Mendham
www.rensport.net
Jon Burke
Jon Burke
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru w/<1000 crashes

October 02, 2008 01:07PM
tedm Wrote:
> It's a monster and it NEEDS to be fed!
> Maybe that Paulson dude will fund it.
>
> Ted Mendham
> www.rensport.net

you know what's a riot? My rally/engine build actually helped me make money with all this financial shit. I went overbudget a little, so I took some money out of a mutual fund about 5 months ago to pay for that and buy the used DMS's I picked up. Now that fund has dropped like a rock, and I'm paying back my 'loan to myself' at a much lower price than when I sold it all.

rally loans FTW winking smiley

Jon Burke - KI6LSW

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2008 01:08PM by Jon Burke.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

October 07, 2008 10:26AM
Jon Burke Wrote:
> I just wish they'd do stuff for NASA events as
> well, when they do THAT, they you know they're
> REALLY supporting the sport.

Subaru isn't necessarily in it to support the sport, they're more likely in it to promote themselves. If that's their goal, aligning with a group that wants big media makes perfect sense. I think Subaru is doing exactly the right thing for what they're trying to accomplish. It's just fortunate for us that their self-interest ends up with them giving us money. smiling smiley

The $115,000 that Subaru spent on contingency/support last year (I think that's what the article said) is about the price of one employee in their ad agency. Could that one guy have generated as many media impressions of their car as becoming the dominant car of a series? Nope.

Cheers,
Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login