Dave Kern
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

Re: BMW Compact Build
October 01, 2012 04:16PM
Quick hillclimb update:

-rebuilt rear diff was much better
-4.3 rear end is OK for hillclimbing at 7-8,000 feet, but higher could be ok maybe?
-missing the 2nd half of a ditch hook is not recommended
-the rear wing finally got mounted and it survived

Videos to come later this week I hope.

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 04:17PM by DaveK.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 01, 2012 05:18PM
DaveK

You realize you have the ability to be the FIRST to post onboard of an M3 powered BMW in the United States. Only previous vid was a short one of Hintz with hood propped up from Oregon Trail.
You really need to get a few Go Pro cameras stolen. Three on the car is too many and too much video to deal with.
You're gonna get scooped by Hintz or Nelson I'm sure of it! We'll see who was driving harder and looked better. Or we won't...

Grant Hughes
DaveK
Dave Kern
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

October 01, 2012 05:27PM
NoCoast
DaveK

You realize you have the ability to be the FIRST to post onboard of an M3 powered BMW in the United States. Only previous vid was a short one of Hintz with hood propped up from Oregon Trail.
You really need to get a few Go Pro cameras stolen. Three on the car is too many and too much video to deal with.
You're gonna get scooped by Hintz or Nelson I'm sure of it! We'll see who was driving harder and looked better. Or we won't...

I've posted several videos of a M3 powered BMW on dirt in the US already...some before those guys even started their builds.

3 may be too many, but I wish that I had 4 so I'd have had a camera on the driver's side on our second run Sunday.

Dave
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 01, 2012 05:49PM
DaveK
I've posted several videos of a M3 powered BMW on dirt in the US already...some before those guys even started their builds.

3 may be too many, but I wish that I had 4 so I'd have had a camera on the driver's side on our second run Sunday.

Posting a gymkhana like video is not the same as an in competition video. smiling smiley
PS> Did you win?
Any damage from the ditch?
What's the next event? Stage rally coming soon?

Grant Hughes
DaveK
Dave Kern
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

October 01, 2012 06:05PM
NoCoast
Posting a gymkhana like video is not the same as an in competition video. smiling smiley

Gym = lyfe! :confused:

NoCoast
PS> Did you win?

Technically no, since there weren't enough 2wd entrants to have a separate class from the AWD guys. In those standings we were 3 of 5, with Regester and McConnell taking the top two spots. Roger did a good job and was dropping chunks of time each run and I think by the end of the weekend he was about 30 seconds back.

Nobody in any of the classes were close to the records and I'm not sure if anyone broke the 5 minute barrier, it was a slippery course. Regester ran a 5:10 or about 18 seconds off our record from 2008 in the Evo (4:52), and I we ran a 5:42.10 in the Compact so got within ~8 seconds of the 2wd record from 2008 that Papa Connely set in the SRT4 Neon (5:33.96).

NoCoast
Any damage from the ditch?

Half tore off the rear bumper mount so the bumper sits on there pretty crooked, and the mud flap has a good tear on it.

On the way back home we were talking about that impact vs the one we had in the Evo at Monarch that bent up all the rear arms, and Allison and I both though this impact was a bunch harder...and we made it to the top 1 second slower than our morning run. Makes me wonder how strong the multi-link E36 rear would've done in comparison.

NoCoast
What's the next event? Stage rally coming soon?

Not sure. Was thinking LSPR, but would have to buy full year RA memberships and only have a chance to do one race. Its not that $300 will kill us, but I just think that stinks a bit. Leaning towards taking the Evo out to California for a time attack thing, so that may consume our fun budget for the year. At a minimum, the BMW will see more hooning time at CORE and BWDS should we get enough of the white stuff before X-mas.

Dave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2012 06:25PM by DaveK.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

October 02, 2012 02:54AM
DaveK

Dave

And here lies the problem. Your car was running and driving before before we even started building Hintz's car and certainly before the bulk of Derik's car was done. Yet you still haven't entered a rally with it. We seriously missed you at Olympus. You shoulda been there! Get your car in a freakin' rally already! Do I have to come down there and tow it to one myself??!! hot smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2012 02:55AM by Doivi Clarkinen.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

October 02, 2012 09:39AM
Haven't finished the full video, but here's our little 'moment' from the last run on Sunday. It sure felt like a bigger moment than it looks like here.

Dave

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/2012 10:26PM by DaveK.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

October 02, 2012 09:46AM
Doivi Clarkinen
And here lies the problem. Your car was running and driving before before we even started building Hintz's car and certainly before the bulk of Derik's car was done. Yet you still haven't entered a rally with it. We seriously missed you at Olympus. You shoulda been there! Get your car in a freakin' rally already! Do I have to come down there and tow it to one myself??!! hot smiley

Yeah, but I think those guys hired experienced builders! I had planned on farming out a good chunk of the build, but took a big pay cut back in early 2010 right as I was planning to get started with the build (took away our overtime which is what I'd previously used to fund the racing budget). So, it meant I had to do alot of the stuff myself and/or ask buddies for help when they had time to spare. Of course the huge delay in getting it on stage was the other mistress and that little hill just a lil south of Denver.

Dave
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 02, 2012 12:30PM
Ha. Yeah, that probably felt WAY bigger than it looks on camera!
Excited to see a full run. Or does it feel so slow you're embarrassed to post it. smiling smiley
You coming to shop tonight? Might pull the green car in and finish gutting interior. I would work on the Merkur but I'm STILL waiting on the insert to make it back from JVAB. Might just clean up a bit and drink beer though.

Grant Hughes
DaveK
Dave Kern
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

October 02, 2012 12:38PM
NoCoast
Ha. Yeah, that probably felt WAY bigger than it looks on camera!
Excited to see a full run. Or does it feel so slow you're embarrassed to post it. smiling smiley
You coming to shop tonight? Might pull the green car in and finish gutting interior. I would work on the Merkur but I'm STILL waiting on the insert to make it back from JVAB. Might just clean up a bit and drink beer though.

I'm needing to sync up the three videos so I can swap different views as the car goes up the hill. I think some of it looks pretty quick, other parts not so much (like pulling out of a hairpin with loose gravel on the surface). Thing to remember is that this car is at high altitude going up a hill...it'll only get faster at rally events.

CHCA board meeting tonight, so gotta bail on the shop. Get cracking on the green car!

Dave
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

October 02, 2012 01:31PM
Dave, Brianne just did that with her PPIHC video. Email her and see what it took to do it right.

Jason McDaniel
DaveK
Dave Kern
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

October 02, 2012 01:45PM
modernbeat
Dave, Brianne just did that with her PPIHC video. Email her and see what it took to do it right.

Its not too difficult in Sony Vegas since you can look at the peaks on the sound clips and double check by seeing first motion in the clips. I really just need to refresh my memory on how to swap between angles and such. I just don't race often enough apparently to remember this stuff off the top of my head. Note to self: race more!

Dave
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 02, 2012 03:34PM
If your software can do three video layers it's super easy as you can just layer them over one another then play with which one you want shown at a given time.

Grant Hughes
DaveK
Dave Kern
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

October 12, 2012 11:05AM
Finally got the full run video edited up!

phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

October 12, 2012 01:56PM
Wow Dave, that looks great!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login