Posted by DaveK 
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

Re: BMW Compact Build
June 26, 2013 05:38PM
Something something the now-paved road formerly known as Pikes Peak.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 27, 2013 01:34PM
Yeah...

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 27, 2013 01:48PM
NoCoast
Yeah...

That's what I figured. I guess its good timing then, he'll be done with that and back to the Bee Em

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 27, 2013 01:55PM
I think he's doing a Time Attack event in September or so in the Evo too so he's planning a rear mounted radiator setup for it so not 100% back to BMW, but mostly.
Lands End Hill Climb on July 27-28 and I know he's running that in the BMW.
We HAVE to get him to a rally this year. Maybe Ojibwe, LSPR, Prescott, or Big White

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 27, 2013 02:16PM
NoCoast
I think he's doing a Time Attack event in September or so in the Evo too so he's planning a rear mounted radiator setup for it so not 100% back to BMW, but mostly.
Lands End Hill Climb on July 27-28 and I know he's running that in the BMW.
We HAVE to get him to a rally this year. Maybe Ojibwe, LSPR, Prescott, or Big White

Yeah maybe we can taunt him and call him a limp-wristed pavement pussy and shame him into doing a good event.. Ojibwe I think would be way fun with that car...and its usually a real well run event--from all reports..
Fast and flowing, closest thing we have to the "Spiritual homeland" of stage rally.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
DaveK
Dave Kern
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

July 02, 2013 06:38PM
john vanlandingham
Yeah maybe we can taunt him and call him a limp-wristed pavement pussy and shame him into doing a good event.. Ojibwe I think would be way fun with that car...and its usually a real well run event--from all reports..
Fast and flowing, closest thing we have to the "Spiritual homeland" of stage rally.

Sitting down with some other local rally peeps over the next week or two to come up with an event to head out to so we can share crew guys. PP is damn expensive and its basically in my back yard. Towing 1000+ miles just makes it more so.

Still need to figure out this stupid non locking diff...and get working on the wifey's car. smiling smiley

Dave
DaveK
Dave Kern
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

July 14, 2013 09:24PM
Ugh! Had planned on pulling the trans on the red car this weekend to fix the torque converter but had a weird issue that the white car wouldn't fire up. Figured the battery was dead from sitting for a few weeks without popping the kill switch, but after trying to push start with no luck had to dig into that instead.

Found out we could only turn the crank thru about 70 degrees of rotation. Thought the starter might be frozen, so removed that. No change, still just 70 degrees.

Figured could have had a stuck injector and hydrolocked the engine, so pulled all the plugs next. Nothing weird there.

Pulled valve cover off next and didn't see anything amiss, but realized after putting it back on I forgot to check the timing...if that's even doable given the 70 degrees of rotation.

Have had a new clutch sitting at home for 8 months so figured the next course of action was to pop the transmission off and see if the ring gear had jammed up on the flywheel or something like that. Also, nothing found.

Current guess is that the motor has skipped timing and that the valves & pistons are FUBAR'd. angry smiley

Oh, and the red car? Inspection hole on the bottom of the trans was missing and one of the bolts had backed out causing the 'playing card in the spokes' sound I'd been hearing. For good measure though we'd check the other bolts. Another one was completely missing (would explain that same sound issue and then it disappearing at the CORE testing session), so looks like just one bolt is left holding it together. Based on the engine issue in the white car, I may try to thrash to get the red car back together for our race in 2 weeks.

Dave
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 14, 2013 09:30PM
DaveK
Ugh! Had planned on pulling the trans on the red car this weekend to fix the torque converter but had a weird issue that the white car wouldn't fire up. Figured the battery was dead from sitting for a few weeks without popping the kill switch, but after trying to push start with no luck had to dig into that instead.

Found out we could only turn the crank thru about 70 degrees of rotation. Thought the starter might be frozen, so removed that. No change, still just 70 degrees.

Figured could have had a stuck injector and hydrolocked the engine, so pulled all the plugs next. Nothing weird there.

Pulled valve cover off next and didn't see anything amiss, but realized after putting it back on I forgot to check the timing...if that's even doable given the 70 degrees of rotation.

Have had a new clutch sitting at home for 8 months so figured the next course of action was to pop the transmission off and see if the ring gear had jammed up on the flywheel or something like that. Also, nothing found.

Current guess is that the motor has skipped timing and that the valves & pistons are FUBAR'd. angry smiley

Oh, and the red car? Inspection hole on the bottom of the trans was missing and one of the bolts had backed out causing the 'playing card in the spokes' sound I'd been hearing. For good measure though we'd check the other bolts. Another one was completely missing (would explain that same sound issue and then it disappearing at the CORE testing session), so looks like just one bolt is left holding it together. Based on the engine issue in the white car, I may try to thrash to get the red car back together for our race in 2 weeks.

Dave

Bring More Wampum.
Big Major Welding.
Buried massive work.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
DaveK
Dave Kern
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

July 15, 2013 02:26AM
john vanlandingham
Bring More Wampum.
Big Major Welding.
Buried massive work.

Build My (W)suspension?

Its a silent 'w' smileys with beer
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 15, 2013 12:30PM
Helpful responses so far!

Dave - I tried looking around behind the flywheel and didn't see anything jumping out at me as being possible to be blocking this.

If the timing chain tensioner failed it's possible that it skipped timing. Didn't you put a new one of the
"better" design into the car or something?

When you pulled the valve cover were all the valves still there? As in, no dropped valves? It's also possible that one sheared and is jamming it up. We may want to measure the amount of piston stroke that the ~70 degrees of rotation is giving. If it's only 50% stroke and locking up before the next piston in firing order gets close to TDC then it is probably not valve to piston contact. If it is, we can figure out which pistons are at top when it seems to be stopping and look inside and see if there is any evidence of valve to piston contact.

We should also disassemble the front of the engine and see if something like the timing tensioner or one of the pulleys has failed or come loose and preventing it from turning.

Sucks for sure, but we'll figure it out and learn from it.

Grant Hughes
DaveK
Dave Kern
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

July 15, 2013 12:40PM
I think I'm going to try to pull the clutch and flywheel tonight. I've had new cerametallic clutch and flywheel friction surface sitting around for a year waiting for the old used clutch to give up the ghost.

At this point I have a hard time seeing a positive outcome for this engine, but nothing looks as broken as I'd have expected this far into the investigation. Even posted on Bills page to see if he had one of those $500 ITB'd motors I could buy. smiling smiley

Dave
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 15, 2013 02:26PM
don't forget that max valve lift is somewhere around 90 ATDC

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

July 15, 2013 05:44PM
even firing 6cylinder is 120 deg between cylinders, usually they will bend intakes or exhausts.

It ran when parked?
DaveK
Dave Kern
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

July 15, 2013 05:51PM
phlat65
even firing 6cylinder is 120 deg between cylinders, usually they will bend intakes or exhausts.

It ran when parked?

Raced it the first weekend in June.

Drove it onto the trailer and pushed it off the trailer into the shop that Sunday night.

Car sat for a couple of weeks, but the night I went down to load up the Evo for PPIHC we fired up the BMW and let it idle for a while to charge the battery back up.

It wouldn't start weekend before last so I let it sit on the charger for a few hours but still wouldn't crank over.

Last weekend still wouldn't start after being on the charger so with a few people at the shop we tried push starting it with no luck.

It was at that point that we tried turning the crank by hand and found it would move less than 90 degrees.

Dave
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 15, 2013 09:49PM
divine retribution?
original sin?

Gula (gluttony)?
Fornicatio (fornication, lust)?
Avaritia (avarice/greed)?
Superbia (hubris, pride)?
Tristitia (sorrow/despair/despondency)?
Ira (wrath)?
Vanagloria (vainglory)?
Acedia (sloth)?

These "evil thoughts" can be categorized into three types:

lustful appetite (gluttony, fornication, and avarice)
irascibility (wrath)
intellect (vainglory, sorrow, pride, and Discouragement)?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login