Posted by shiza 
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

Re: Shiza's Integra
June 26, 2012 03:37AM
If you have 5/8 front and 1" rear, that big of a split will give you problems with the geometry. It will cause instability when the car is braking hard enough because the balance bar will pivot off the rear.

As for not having enough brake pressure, the 5/8's master cylinder is the smallest you can get for that, so the best thing to do is to take a tape and measure the pedal length from the pivot to the centre of the foot pad. Then measure again from the pivot to the clevis rod.

Google has everything but most of them wrong. Remembe to measure to the centre of the foot pad, not the bottom.

If you have anything more than 5:1 ratio then either the pads arent good enough or you're too weak because thats already too much mechanical and hydraulic ratio with a 5/8's and a 5:1. BTW you do know that race brakes normally take alot more effort than a minivan right? 200lbs of pedal force is typical for certain cars and drivers.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
shiza
Dan Norkus
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

June 26, 2012 06:01AM
Yes I know race brakes require more force. I drove the Salta prepared STI that Dick Rockrohr now owns and the Vermont Sportscar prepared STI at Dirt Fish. Neither were as stiff as mine. Part of it may be seat position. I think if the seat was closer that would help. So if 5/8 and 1 is too big what do you recommend? I'll take some measurements later and see what I get.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2012 06:06AM by shiza.
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

June 26, 2012 09:19AM
if you've got the mfactory gear set, ratios should be something like this:

1st: 3.07 (stock is 3.25)
2nd: 1.95 or 2.105 (stock)
3rd: 1.704/1.695/1.670/1.652/1.636/1.625
4th: 1.387/1.384/1.355/1.313/1.296
5th: 1.210/1.130/1.118/1.033/1.028/1.000

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

June 26, 2012 10:36AM
shiza
Yes I know race brakes require more force. I drove the Salta prepared STI that Dick Rockrohr now owns and the Vermont Sportscar prepared STI at Dirt Fish. Neither were as stiff as mine.
Thats a clear indication that there's something wrong. The caliper in your car has about the same amount of pistion area as the Dirt Fish STI calipers. And the STI is being actuated with a 1-1/16" master cylinder. Your 5/8's master creates nearly 3 times the line pressure for the same pedal force. And I doubt that the pedal ratio is 3 times less than the STI's. My guess is that its similar.

What pads are on your car currently?
alkun
Albert Kun
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

June 26, 2012 10:49AM
Sweet Dan! Nice sounding gear ratios. Just start going to the gym and doing the leg press machine.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

June 26, 2012 01:26PM
Sick looking car. you don't like power brakes? i love mine.. smiling smiley (though i don't like my pedal feel .. but for other reasons)

on your seat , reaching stuff, what about some lay back? if you tilt the seat (lean back) a bit your upper body will move away from the shifter/wheel/Ebrake while your feet get a little closer to the pedals. now slide the seat forward a little bit to get back to the ideal arm distance to the wheel. ?

smiling smiley might not work miracles but it seems like you are already able to hit the pedals...
shiza
Dan Norkus
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

June 26, 2012 05:34PM
Ok the pedal length is 13" and from the pivot to the clevis rod is 3.5". Those measurements are close but I'm sure far from exact. The more I think about it the more I think it's my seating position. Just not being able to push hard enough when stretching my foot. Right now I have the seat as close as I can without making new seat mounts sad smiley. I might have to give some sliders a try. That or screw in some wood blocks to the clutch and brake pedals grinning smiley

Alex I don't like the feeling of leaning back. Just not comfortable for me. Yeah I can reach the pedals but I'm stretching to push the clutch all the way in and to hit the brakes I'm almost tippy toeing the pedal. Not quite but I think I just need to be closer. As far as power brakes go I would have been fine with them for a while but this car came with the dual masters already installed.

As far as the ratios it does have a stock second gear. Everything else is MFactory.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 26, 2012 05:36PM
shiza
Ok the pedal length is 13" and from the pivot to the clevis rod is 3.5". Those measurements are close but I'm sure far from exact. The more I think about it the more I think it's my seating position. Just not being able to push hard enough when stretching my foot. Right now I have the seat as close as I can without making new seat mounts sad smiley. I might have to give some sliders a try. That or screw in some wood blocks to the clutch and brake pedals grinning smiley

Alex I don't like the feeling of leaning back. Just not comfortable for me. Yeah I can reach the pedals but I'm stretching to push the clutch all the way in and to hit the brakes I'm almost tippy toeing the pedal. Not quite but I think I just need to be closer. As far as power brakes go I would have been fine with them for a while but this car came with the dual masters already installed.

As far as the ratios it does have a stock second gear. Everything else is MFactory.

You could duct tape a short piece of a 4x4 to your sole, that's easier than sliders.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
shiza
Dan Norkus
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

June 26, 2012 05:40PM
john vanlandingham
You could duct tape a short piece of a 4x4 to your sole, that's easier than sliders.

Well that would reduce pedal feel too much grinning smiley. I'll duct tape a 4x4 to each pedal!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 26, 2012 05:48PM
shiza
john vanlandingham

Well that would reduce pedal feel too much grinning smiley. I'll duct tape a 4x4 to each pedal!

That's thinking!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 26, 2012 06:36PM
Modified seat mount >>> sliders.

Grant Hughes
shiza
Dan Norkus
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

June 26, 2012 07:06PM
NoCoast
Modified seat mount >>> sliders.

I know but with the winged seat I won't have much room to get out if I move it up. Ideally I could just move the pedals closer to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2012 07:10PM by shiza.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

June 26, 2012 07:21PM
If those measurements are correct, that is only 3.7:1 ratio. I think you need to get a more accurate measurement. If that is close, then I don't think you will get the effort any easier.

When I first did the dual masters in my car the pedal effort was stupid high, even with the good pads. Trns out the ratio was just under 4:1. I cut the top off and shortened the distance between the pivot and clevis to get right around 6:1, and that dramatically improved brake feel, pedal effort ect.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

June 26, 2012 07:39PM
well Dan. I have a welder, beer and I live like 10 miles away. Perhaps a seat modding, pedal chopping evening is in store for us?

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

June 26, 2012 08:03PM
Damn good to see you in the left seat!

Let me throw out a question for you. What are your thoughts on a co-driver for your first event? That sounds like I'm asking for a ride, but I'm not. I ask because you, like myself, have spent a good bit in the right seat and are now making our long awaited transition. I always looked at co-driving as practice towards being a better driver but I now have some friends trying to talk me into a rookie co-driver for my first few events to keep me dialed back a bit, drive what I see. Given this any thought yourself?

Bet your still grinning. Color me jealous.

Zap zap my ass...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login