Posted by DexterVW 
bknblk2
Tony Wood
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Citation "Oskar"

Re: Anti- Sub belt and seat question
November 06, 2012 08:08PM
Is it OK with John if we use the 5th/6th belt to keep the waist belt low and disregard the antisub properties? My better half is an EMT/RN on a trauma floor of a hospital with a level 1 trauma unit. For some reason she's under the impression that you'd rather have that belt across your pelvis than your liver, intestines and other somewhat useful organ meat.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 06, 2012 09:27PM
bknblk2
Is it OK with John if we use the 5th/6th belt to keep the waist belt low and disregard the antisub properties? My better half is an EMT/RN on a trauma floor of a hospital with a level 1 trauma unit. For some reason she's under the impression that you'd rather have that belt across your pelvis than your liver, intestines and other somewhat useful organ meat.

Yeah sure, but been asking guys who I've been talking to and an interesting thing is virtually nobody ever had anybody sit down and 'splain to them how they are 'spossed to sit and adjust the harnesses..
And yeah, I've seen hair raising positions, like a said like a big outie navel.
And I have tried to 'splain to guys that its wrong, re-adjust.
Take the time..

So the presumption I predicated things on : properly postitioned and snugged up belts is, it turns out, an erroneous presumption..
On reflection one might posit that since now all information on everything comes for the Intra-webs, maybe its not surprising that nobody has had somebody reach out from the screen and say "DOOOoooooooOOOOD, you should harness are pulling the lar belts way high, You high? Slacken up the shoulders, snug the lap like THIS (erk!), no pull the shoulder till they're nice."

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

November 06, 2012 09:42PM
john vanlandingham
bknblk2

Yeah sure, but been asking guys who I've been talking to and an interesting thing is virtually nobody ever had anybody sit down and 'splain to them how they are 'spossed to sit and adjust the harnesses..
And yeah, I've seen hair raising positions, like a said like a big outie navel.
And I have tried to 'splain to guys that its wrong, re-adjust.
Take the time..

So the presumption I predicated things on : properly postitioned and snugged up belts is, it turns out, an erroneous presumption..
On reflection one might posit that since now all information on everything comes for the Intra-webs, maybe its not surprising that nobody has had somebody reach out from the screen and say "DOOOoooooooOOOOD, you should harness are pulling the lar belts way high, You high? Slacken up the shoulders, snug the lap like THIS (erk!), no pull the shoulder till they're nice."

The LeMons guys last weekend actually went over this during the drivers' meeting. Lap first, crotch strap adjusted to ensure the lap belt goes over the pelvis, not your beer gut, then adjust shoulders.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Ferdinand
Ferdinand Trauttmansdorff
Junior Moderator

November 07, 2012 08:56AM
john vanlandingham
an interesting thing is virtually nobody ever had anybody sit down and 'splain to them how they are 'spossed to sit and adjust the harnesses..

A few years ago I was working the start control for the first stage at Perce Neige and noticed one newbie crew had forgotten to do up their HANS straps. I knocked on the window to remind them and then noticed they both had their HANS sitting loose on TOP of their shoulder belts.

A scramble ensued as we had to loosen their belts enough to jam the HANS in place under the shoulder harness. But I couldn't get the driver's shoulder belt loosened because he had the belts on BACKWARDS, with the adjustment buckles pushing against his chest.

We had to release the entire harness to flip the shoulder belts over before we could loosen them enough to fit the HANS properly in place. Sheesh. All of that with the seconds counting down to their start time for the first stage. Bit of a high pressure moment and definitely not the right frame of mind to be starting off in.

Thing is, I also noticed his crotch strap was way too loose, but there wasn't enough time to adjust that. I feel guilty to this day that I didn't just pull those guys out of the lineup and force them to belt up properly before letting them start.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 07, 2012 09:11AM
Ferdinand
A few years ago I was working the start control for the first stage at Perce Neige and noticed one newbie crew had forgotten to do up their HANS straps. I knocked on the window to remind them and then noticed they both had their HANS sitting loose on TOP of their shoulder belts.

A scramble ensued as we had to loosen their belts enough to jam the HANS in place under the shoulder harness. But I couldn't get the driver's shoulder belt loosened because he had the belts on BACKWARDS, with the adjustment buckles pushing against his chest.

We had to release the entire harness to flip the shoulder belts over before we could loosen them enough to fit the HANS properly in place. Sheesh. All of that with the seconds counting down to their start time for the first stage. Bit of a high pressure moment and definitely not the right frame of mind to be starting off in.

Thing is, I also noticed his crotch strap was way too loose, but there wasn't enough time to adjust that. I feel guilty to this day that I didn't just pull those guys out of the lineup and force them to belt up properly before letting them start.

Wow. Crazy story there Ferd. You would have been in the right to delay their start minute. I've had a team in front of me get an extra minute because they didn't have something right in the car and the start crew noticed. I'm sure there have been teams that have used this to get an extra start minute. Iorio was well known for doing anything within the bounds of rules to get extra minutes, sometimes even taking penalties to get an extra start minute.

Grant Hughes
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

November 07, 2012 04:02PM
NoCoast
Wow. Crazy story there Ferd. You would have been in the right to delay their start minute. I've had a team in front of me get an extra minute because they didn't have something right in the car and the start crew noticed. I'm sure there have been teams that have used this to get an extra start minute. Iorio was well known for doing anything within the bounds of rules to get extra minutes, sometimes even taking penalties to get an extra start minute.

You don't delay their start time. You just hold the car in the control until they're ready to go. I mean, with their stage time seconds ticking away.

Self-righteous douche canoe
BJosephD
Brian j Dyer
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
04 Rocky Mountain MTB...

November 07, 2012 06:16PM
hoche
NoCoast

You don't delay their start time. You just hold the car in the control until they're ready to go. I mean, with their stage time seconds ticking away.

some will beg and beg for an extra minute, loose time they spend haggling, then speed off without the proper safety gear on correctly. ask me how i know.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

November 07, 2012 10:55PM
BJosephD
some will beg and beg for an extra minute, loose time they spend haggling, then speed off without the proper safety gear on correctly. ask me how i know.

Yeah, I know. I've been on both sides of that. Thing is, you don't let them speed off, or you tell 'em they're going to get big penalties if they leave before they're buckled up on account of it's breaking a bunch of rules and disobeying a marshall and all. Don't let them take command of the situation - it's YOUR control. But they're on the clock because they're supposed to be buttoned up before the leavin' time, and they *know* this.

I mean, clearly if it's not their fault there's no need to be draconian, but if they're trying to game you for a dust minute...

Self-righteous douche canoe
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login