Advanced

Bianca ('06 STi), A New Start.

Posted by gregroot198521 
gregroot198521
Greg Fuck off
Professional Moderator

Bianca ('06 STi), A New Start.
July 19, 2013 12:31AM
Well, this is my first post here on Rally Anarchy, so I figure I'll transfer in the build thread for my car which I won't be able to rally by some rulebooks. So for my current times I'll probably just build and enjoy this car for more off-roading purposes, and learn things from you guys here, maybe build something else to rally. Some of the Subie guys on here might know me already, I'm the guy who had the (likely first) 3rd gen WRX ('08+ models, mine was an '11) with a tube bumper. It was a good learning process, but the truth remained, the 3rd gens aren't as toughly built as the GD bodies. So I traded in Roxie (WRB '11 WRX) for Bianca (OBP '06 STi). This will be my build thread for the new iteration, and the thread was started on February 8th 2013. This was Roxie's build: http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24372

So here's Roxie before:

Built for damage:

And as she looked at trade in:

Now say goodbye to Roxie, and hello to Bianca.
As she rolled out of the dealership:

Next to my buddies WRB '04:

And just a few mods done over the first few days (Perrin Wing Stiffies, JDM style window visors, a SickSpeed shift knob, some vinyl decals to represent (DirtyImpreza & MNSubaru) and a partial debadge):

Update 1 (Feb. 10):
Alright, so update: technically it's yesterday now that I did this (my buddy helped out a lot, thanks Preston): installed the Cusco OS rear strut tower brace and triangle brace. Ass feels a little stiffer (giggity!!), took a supply run to finish though as the bottom brace mounts in a rather PITA spot. Also, we fixed my power steering squeal. Replaced all the clamps with hose clamps, replaced the fluid (it was nasty and brown, probably never replaced) and then replaced the o-ring. Squeal is gone, and steering is beautiful now, very happy with Bianca (that's my STi's name). And last, but not least, we went for some fun in the desert, and his car started spewing fluid out the janky makeshift coolant reservoir. Lost all the coolant, and the 4 of us who were out there, all helped in refilling the radiator and reservoir with piss. Good times. I'll get some pics of the car later, as it's dark now.

Update 2 (Feb. 11):
Well, damn it, the whine is back in my power steering, so either it's pulling in air from the o-ring still, or it has another spot it's coming in from. Either way, the search continues for wherever it's coming in from.

Update 3 (Feb. 13)
Alright, it's looking like I may have taken care of the steering, we'll give it a couple days. The previous o-ring was super squared off, hard and warped; the couple day old one was torn to hell along the edges. Replaced it again (better fitting ring) and seems to be good now. Also, installed 2 of my 4 Hella Supertones, need to find good spots for the last 2, already have the wiring setup though. Will see how loud they are later.

Update 4 (Feb. 18)
Okay, I'd say the power steering is considered fixed now. Zero problems since replacing the o-ring (need to get a pic of that *****) that was torn (knocks on wood).
Finished my horn install today, so I have 4 Hellas just waiting for some idiot to cut me off. Hopefully someone S*** their pants and wakes up.

Update 5 (Mar. 15)
So, let's see; about time for an update. Removed my carpet and most of the relatively easily pulled foam mat, as well as the plastic venting for the rear foot-wells. Sold the carpet and the floor-mats to my buddy here who has an '04 with ugly carpet and floor-mats.

Installed some Aluminum diamond-plate floormats (with the dead pedal also) to provide some grip, bought them off an eBay shop. They would fit better if I had the regular flooring still, but it's alright, I have them bolted in to the floors, and am awaiting my riv-nut tool to do the install properly.

Installed some Carbon Fiber Sokie Tech (believe that's the companies name) hood dampers off of some eBay seller (Alvoturk9000 or something close). Great purchase, and glad I bought them.

Ordered a bunch of different riv-nuts, thread matched screws and some 6" wide HDPE strips from McMaster-Carr. Riv-nuts and screws are for multiple uses, the HDPE strips will be used to cover and protect the fuel lines and wire-looms that run along the inside of the door frame to the back. These will be riveted to the kick-plates (or whatever those trim pieces are called that sit in the door frame) and then mounted underneath the lines/wiring with the riv-nuts and the screws.

I'll try to remember add some pics in here after I've done this part, though I do need some pics just because.

Update 6 (Mar. 16)
Alright, some pics, long overdue.
First up we have the diamond plate floor mats, the lack of carpet and mat, the cigarette plug splitter/extension and the billet aluminum glove box handle:

Next we have my carbon fiber grill (needs some fitment adjustment n the side pieces), hood dampers, and the place I hide part stickers:

And last for this update are the carbon fiber fuel door cover and all the vinyl that doesn't hide when dirty:

Update 7 (Mar. 24)
Alright, update for today:
Installed some more HDPE strip covering the fuel/brake lines & wiring along the door frames. Got the passenger side finished until the thicker material comes, then I'll make it a little bit of a prettier job. I'll add a pic in of this later.

Installed a Blox Racing vortex generator, fitment wasn't the flattest, but it's not going anywhere thanks to 8-10 beefy rivets, some 3M foam tape and some E-3000 (or whatever it's called, some sort of silicone/glue, it works great). Hopefully it doesn't leak at all, but if it does, I'll fix that.

Also finished the hard-install of the passenger side floor mat. Took a few tries for some of the riv-nuts to actually stick, but it's stuck, and not going anywhere. Took the chance of having the mat out though, to get rid of more if the foam mat S*** that was behind the box (ECU?, though not sure why it'd be so hidden) over there. Few pounds shredded over all, but not the main reason, just easier to clean without all the crap.

Last, but not least, installed a set of Whiteline rear subframe lockdown bolts. Took her for a spin, think I could feel the difference, or I could be suffering from that imagined feeling issue lots of people have after installs.

Tomorrow, I'll probably do the oil change and finally install my skid plate, since it had the holes for GD bottoms as well as the holes for the GH/GR/GV bodies. If I do the oil change, I'll finally install my Fumoto valve, since it's been waiting, though I should probably find it first.

Update 8 (Apr. 1)
More of a through the weekend thing, but I finished installing the thicker HDPE I bought under the front doors. Pretty sturdy, and I now have less worries about damage to the lines there.

While I had the driver side seat flopped over on the passenger side seat, I remounted the factory underseat sub using that metal "tape" that is used for pipe strapping usually. Basically metal ribbon with a bunch of holes on the center line. Stuff works great for many other uses too, just use your imagination. Also wrapped most of each ribbon in painters tape to hold down foam strips. Figure less metal-plastic contact the better. Probably take them off later and rewrap, then paint them.

Lastly, I finally started installing my Defi Advance BF gauges. Bought a set from a local friend here (boost, EGT, and fuel pressure) a long while back. Got the boost and EGT mounted in an ATI steering column cluster, seems that I don't have another jumper for the fuel pressure though. May hold off on the fuel pressure for a while anyways, assume that's more of a gauge for a racer. Anyways, didn't get the sensors ran yet, and still have to decide where I want to install the control box. First, need hardware for the boost sensor, and a place to insert the EGT sensor.

Pics will come soon, like I always say.

Update 9 (Jun. 30)
Hmm, I guess I still owe pics.... Oh well, nothing to be done for it till I'm back to my car. I'm currently in Guam (2.5 months now), and probably for a good bit longer, so eventually real updates will come. Maybe in the meantime I'll start a list of things I'll be wanting to accomplish when I get back.

-Start with finishing the install of my Defi EGT and boost gauges.
-Install the various bracing and other parts that are waiting for it.
-Get ahold of a set of blown stock struts to get revalved for gravel.
-Get the King springs for the spring lift again.
-Continue trying to hunt down a 4/2 pot brake set without the rotors included.
-Get those DBA rotors that are available now.
-Continue stripping out and replacing some interior trim for my possible eventual cage.
-Install turbo blanket
-Go stage 2
Can't think of anything else currently, maybe I'll think of more to add later.

And, since this is somewhat of a journal, as well as my build thread, I'll say goodbye to my (my wife's originally) dog, Cara. She had to be put down on Saturday in VA, due to just getting really old, and having organs failing. She was an English Yellow Lab, and she would have hit14 years old come September. I'll miss the puppy, but I know she isn't hurting anymore.
Obligatory pic of the fur-butt.

All updates from here on will be added as new posts. Cheers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2013 12:33AM by gregroot198521.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
gregroot198521
Greg Fuck off
Professional Moderator

Re: Bianca ('06 STi), A New Start.
July 19, 2013 06:17AM
Please don't be too critical, figured if I was going to join here, I might as well put my build thread up too. Definitely not as nifty as half the shit I've found so far on here. Good info on here. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2013 06:20AM by gregroot198521.
gregroot198521
Greg Fuck off
Professional Moderator

July 19, 2013 06:18AM
Save 2 for additions/modifying maybe.
gregroot198521
Greg Fuck off
Professional Moderator

July 19, 2013 06:21AM
Save 3 for additions/modifying maybe.
SeanP
Sean Lane
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Dodge Neon G2, bruised

July 25, 2013 12:38AM
That carbon fiber fuel door and those diamond plate floor mats will shave minutes from your stage times.

Cool story, bro.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 25, 2013 12:58AM
I don't understand what's going on here. Is this supposed to be a rally car one day?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Ckgtimk2
Corey Kline
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Used and abused Mk2 GTI

July 26, 2013 12:35AM
oh you must be looking for stickonposermodsanarchy.com...

i believe this forum is a bit, ummm, different. your not going to get any circle tug gratification bc of your street car... just sayin...

Less talk. More rally.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

July 26, 2013 02:03AM

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2013 12:39PM by wvonkessler.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

July 26, 2013 08:57AM
I bet that carbon fuel door is hard to damage.

Which reminds me I need to weld the fuel door on my Legacy before it falls off somewhere on Collins Road.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
urr
Andrew Sutherland
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru, EVO, Honda, Husky

urr
July 26, 2013 01:34PM
More dog pictures....
gregroot198521
Greg Fuck off
Professional Moderator

August 04, 2013 09:08AM
Wow, nice way of welcoming a new member. People like you are the reason rally isn't followed as greatly anymore, and has such a high atrition. Came here to read info, learn things, and figured if I was going to join I might as well post up what I've been working on. My bad for not being up to your guys standard. That said, I think I can be done with this site if the type of people here are the same types of d-bags found on NASIOC.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 04, 2013 10:58AM
We simply asked a question, you know what a 'question' is, dontcha?
You see, normally adjust adults know that we aren't always clear in what we wish to convey, ya know? Ever not be clear and somebody say "Huh" whaddya mean?"
Normally adjusted adults do not take a question as "wow not very welcoming to a new member"..

People with mal-delevoped sense of status and entitlement see all questions as "challenges" and any words that aren't pour adulation as "dissing" , slagging' or "not very welcoming"

Man up some.
You posted what looks to me anyway as just another pimped out blue Subie not any different any any noticeable way than 20,000 I have seen since the Impretzled was introduced. And when I say "noticable" I mean noticeable---that didn't say you're bad, or your car is bad or you suck.. Just that we/I have seen 10, 20 thousand street cars--daily.

You didn't say a thing about what plans you have to gut the interior shit, cage it and pound the thing mercilessly in the woods....till you flip it.

So we're confused...

Do not turn it around and call us unwelcoming---I just spent a solid 30 hours helping a guy in the build stage- designing/making/showing/ packing..
I think I wore him out..

Don't you fucking dare suggest we aren't welcoming..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2013 12:38PM by john vanlandingham.
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

August 04, 2013 11:36AM
I'll agree with JV. This isn't floor mat anarchy. We ususally toss that crap out on the way to a rally car build. Pine tree air fresheners don't pull much weight here.

So are you building a real, caged, suspended, proper seats and belts rally car? If yes then welcome! If not the maybe http://www.cardomain.com/ is more what you're looking for.
Morison
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

August 04, 2013 11:39AM
john vanlandingham
We simply asked a question, you know what a 'question' is, dontcha?
You simply asked a question.
Others responded with a bit more mock than welcome.

john vanlandingham
You didn't say a thing about what plans you have to gut the interior shit, cage it and pound the thing mercilessly in the woods....till you flip it.
So we're confused...

I dunno, the second sentence seems fairly clear:

gregroot198521
So for my current times I'll probably just build and enjoy this car for more off-roading purposes, and learn things from you guys here, maybe build something else to rally.

john vanlandingham
Don't you fucking dare suggest we aren't welcoming..
You really need to start using emoticons more often, especially when you're chasing very dry, very ironical humour like this. confused smiley

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

August 05, 2013 05:00AM
gregroot198521
People like you are the reason rally isn't followed as greatly anymore, and has such a high atrition.(sic)

In other news, with apparent insight like this, you might want to see the 'This will save rally' thread.

Enablers, All of you.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login