Bianca ('06 STi), A New Start.

Posted by gregroot198521 
gregroot198521
Greg Fuck off
Professional Moderator

Re: Bianca ('06 STi), A New Start.
August 07, 2013 08:19AM
czwalga
You have to understand what this forum is and post as such. Pics of carbon fiber fuel doors, vs people pounding the fenders out from the inside around the fuel door just so it might kinda look half decent from 40 yards away.

This forum is pretty much about going fast and breaking stuff... and arguing for the fun of it. The 'other' forum is a little more docile, but still no one would car about pretty things, unless its an initial full out rally build. Then some people will drool, others will bitch because its not what they think you should be building.
The fuel door thing was a just-for-the-fuck-of-it type thing. Spent all of $10 on it, thought it was some replacement door, instead it's just a cover. Didn't feel like dealing with seller to return and said to hell with it and installed it. Unfortunately I installed it so well that the bastard isn't coming off without bending the door all to shit. But, I have a buddy who said he'd trade his fuel door for the CF covered one, as he likes the look, and I really have grown to dislike after looking at it in pictures since then. I'll just wanna do my Line-X job soon after, since his car is WRB and mine is, obviously, not. Or rattle can the blue one black. Which ever.

I'm not ready to be destroying this car to that extent, I likely twisted the frame on the last one, rather not do the same to this one without a cage to help prevent it. And I know it was tweaked a little, ride was different after, and a lot of the boddy panels suddenly had strange changes in spacing that weren't there before. Lesson learned; don't launch a non-reinforced car off a berm and then through some mesquite trees.

I can understand that, though I'm sure a good chunk of the membership here didn't join with a fully built rally car, think some forgot that their rally cars started out as a stock vehicle once upon a time. As for the "pretty" stuff in mine, most of the stuff I've done was actually for function, looks were second. The struts for the hood give a lot more room, plus I got used to them on my old WRX, call me spoiled. The floor "mats" are actually aluminum diamond plate, and they are to keep my feet out of the holes Subaru has all over the floor pan just covered in tape. thumbs down The plates just need some more grip to them to be better, IMO. Sometime after I am back from this damned island I'll add pics of my protection for the fuel/brake lines and wiring harnesses that are run through the cabin under the doors. Made covers out of some HDPE sheet, keeps my feet from hitting them, and it'll provide an area to coat without getting all over the lines and wiring. Don't know what solution yall use, but it seemed the best option to me. Did the same type of covering over the cabin entry for the e-brake cables, this was more to keep stuff from hitting them as easily, and to protect from the liner again, if I do even bother with liner inside. One other thing without pics up are the Sullivan Racing pedals I installed, they're beutiful, but they are super functional, they almost seem to have a gravitational property to them, my feet stick like a champ, even with the slippery-as-fuck floors. The Stiffis in the spoiler are functional as well, noticed the spoiler moving a bit while speeding, didn't after, also looks good I think.

Now the "ricey" stuff, like the grills, the fuel door, the glove box handle and the stickers. Grills were an impulse, was hoping for a better fit, didn't get it, most likely will pull them off when I'm back and reinstall the stock ones. Fuel door was covered earlier, not going to beat that dead horse. The stock glove box handle was cracked (god knows how, thing is pretty thick), saw the aluminum one on ebay, thought "aha!!" and bought it. Boom, problem solved, and I barely pay attention to it, though it might get a coat of black gloss sometime, just because. Some of the stickers will go buh-bye when I get home, some will stay. Vinyl doesnt weigh much, don't care, but a couple will still go away, and a couple (on the paint) will be replaced after the Line-X treatment.

May have missed something in there, can't recall all of it from halfway around the globe when I can't see my Bianca, but that's most of it, I think. This all said though, I like to go fast like yall, and I lke to do it in the dirt too (sounds like a nasty euphemism), I'm just not as far along as pretty much any of you, but we all started somewhere, and I just wanna have fun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2013 08:21AM by gregroot198521.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

August 07, 2013 02:29PM
gregroot198521
Don't recall anything other than mocking from the rest, and some asshole posting a pic of a fugly riced out Pontiac.

Ratsack, thanks for the compliment. I think is was a very telling photograph, and really not far off from your photos. The point was that cosmetic additions to a vehicle that do absolutely nothing for performance are a waste of time and effort. Kind of like a 3 inch chrome muffler tip. Or a faux carbon fiber gas door.

Not that I am against diamond plate floors. I've got them in my rally car, as I hate seeing the paint get scraped up on the floor, plus it makes it less slick. I cut mine out of aluminum diamond plate from the local metal supply. They don't say "BMW" on them anywhere. They are bolted on the floor with rivnuts holding them down. They were shiny once. I put them in after we fitted the cage, race seats and pedals. The passenger side has a codriver's foot plate as well. There is a foot operated horn button on it, as we like to beep at the speccies as we drive by.

If you are going to build a toy to play in the dirt, build a toy to play in the dirt, not a wannabee toy.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
urr
Andrew Sutherland
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru, EVO, Honda, Husky

urr
August 07, 2013 05:03PM
I think most of us take offense of being called douche bags! It's been pointed out that our members are actually self-righteous douche canoe's!
alkun
Albert Kun
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

August 07, 2013 08:28PM
Hey OP,

just so this doesn't further devolve into a total flame-off...

somewhere there used to be a "read this" (I can't find it now) that said this forum don't give two shits about any cars except for rally cars. Now we don't really know your intentions, but if you are planning to build your car into a real rallycar (to enter in rallies) we will try to give you some good advice.

If you are building making a show car, rally inspired car, cool looking car with rally mud flaps, Prodrive-built rallycar thats never going to be rallied or whatever else, its going to be a mess here.

We are all about the rally, the cars are just a part of it. Its a real community thing, which is great, but it means sometimes you will get good advice that isn't fun to hear. So here it goes; for a first rally car, an STi is not be the best choice unless you have $50k to throw in the fire. (there will be debate on this) Thats a nice car. Get a beater for $1k and build your first rally car from that.

Seems you are deployed in service of the US somehow. If so thanks for your commitment.

Personally, I hate cars, thats why I rally; to punish cars .
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 07, 2013 08:34PM
Al, just remember: it's us, or them...And the cars are out to get us.eye popping smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
gregroot198521
Greg Fuck off
Professional Moderator

August 07, 2013 09:02PM
wvonkessler
gregroot198521
Don't recall anything other than mocking from the rest, and some asshole posting a pic of a fugly riced out Pontiac.

Ratsack, thanks for the compliment. I think is was a very telling photograph, and really not far off from your photos. The point was that cosmetic additions to a vehicle that do absolutely nothing for performance are a waste of time and effort. Kind of like a 3 inch chrome muffler tip. Or a faux carbon fiber gas door.

Not that I am against diamond plate floors. I've got them in my rally car, as I hate seeing the paint get scraped up on the floor, plus it makes it less slick. I cut mine out of aluminum diamond plate from the local metal supply. They don't say "BMW" on them anywhere. They are bolted on the floor with rivnuts holding them down. They were shiny once. I put them in after we fitted the cage, race seats and pedals. The passenger side has a codriver's foot plate as well. There is a foot operated horn button on it, as we like to beep at the speccies as we drive by.

If you are going to build a toy to play in the dirt, build a toy to play in the dirt, not a wannabee toy.
One, learn to read, Kessler, my name is not "Ratsack", that's quite disrespectful, and that's the only warning I'll give, as that is one of very few names that have started fights with me. If it was accidental: be more careful; purposeful: don't. On that note, I knew a Kessler once, pretty sure he had an IQ slightly above that of a soda can, and he was an asshole, so he was stupid asshole, but he still managed to figure out how to say my name. Hope you can manage, as the typical rally fan seems to be a bit higher up the evolutionary ladder compared to say, NASCAR fans like he was/is.

Two, if you aren't bright enough to realize that my car comes stock with a spoiler, that is actually functional, don't know what to tell you, as this car is a far-cry from that nasty ass Pontiac. The exhaust is all stock, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about there. Learn more about a vehicle before you talk shit maybe. Already beat the horse enough about the CF accents, not much I can do about that right now. As for the stickers, (horse pretty well beaten too) they add 5hp a piece, so shove it up your pipe and smoke it. grinning smiley Sarcasm aside, as I said before, some will come off, some may get replaced and put under the hood, and some may be just gone. I look at the pics a lot, (as I can't do anything else with it) and most of the stickers irritate me, so yeah. Oh, and I pretty well understand that cosmetic things don't make the car faster, but when you're bored and want to do something to your car, these things happen sometimes. Some people call that "livery", IIRC.

Third, floor plates. My bad for not custom making something that was easier bought than trying to find the metal warehouse in El Paso. Know what?! Don't care, and I'm saving weight with the "STi" cut out, but hey, good job on not having a logo on yours. The material itself is thinner than any aluminum diamond plate I'd seen before anyways.. I believe I ended up putting rivnuts in the floor to mount these to also, and in those pics they were held down with self tappers. Now, obviously I'm bad about taking pics, as the last pics I took were what? a month and a half behind anything I had last done. Yeah, they are still shiny-ish, hadn't had too long to abuse them at the time of that pic, they were scuffed up plenty when I left and they will end up being cleaned off (ground to the metal), and coated for some better traction.

As far as "building a toy to play in the dirt", this car stock is plenty capable, so maybe you should really learn more before talking out your ass. Cosmetic accents don't make it a wannabe car, it just means I have different tastes than you. Oh, and once again, this car is just starting her transformation, I only had 3 months with her before I left, and a lot of that time was either getting my stuff packed, being stuck at my new battery from 0600-2030 almost every day, and spending time with my wife and friends with whatever free time I had.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

August 07, 2013 09:22PM
Thanks for reminding me I still need to pull the fuel door off my Legacy and weld the busted hinge.

Oh, and Wilson is an attorney, even thinking about threatening bodily harm is liable to get you slapped with a restraining order. grinning smiley

So chill out, relax, and just admit you want to build a drunk street racing in a school zone hooning car for now. I personally have all but given up on ever having a rally car -- I'll share a 24 Hours of LeMons ride until I figure out what I want to do when I grow up so I can have an actual career-type job. If you have huge expansive amounts of desert to play in, rock on and have fun!

Yes, we have a low tolerance for "rice" here. Deal with it.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
gregroot198521
Greg Fuck off
Professional Moderator

August 07, 2013 09:34PM
urr
I think most of us take offense of being called douche bags! It's been pointed out that our members are actually self-righteous douche canoe's!
Canoes, huh? I'll keep that in mind.
alkun
Hey OP, just so this doesn't further devolve into a total flame-off...

somewhere there used to be a "read this" (I can't find it now) that said this forum don't give two shits about any cars except for rally cars. Now we don't really know your intentions, but if you are planning to build your car into a real rallycar (to enter in rallies) we will try to give you some good advice.
I read the new member- Read me thread, don't recall anything about that, granted I read fast and have been known to miss lines, so I could've missed that.

If you are building making a show car, rally inspired car, cool looking car with rally mud flaps, Prodrive-built rallycar thats never going to be rallied or whatever else, its going to be a mess here.
The most rally this car will see will be rally cross, that count? Now I don't know how everybody misses the second sentence of the thread, I state it'll be a trail car essentially, but with a side of occasional rally-x. Maybe I'll have to edit it and make it a little clearer.

We are all about the rally, the cars are just a part of it. Its a real community thing, which is great, but it means sometimes you will get good advice that isn't fun to hear. So here it goes; for a first rally car, an STi is not be the best choice unless you have $50k to throw in the fire. (there will be debate on this) Thats a nice car. Get a beater for $1k and build your first rally car from that.
Yeah, I deduced that right after I joined the site. Good rally potential, but pricy to get right. I'll probably go the route of something else to build for the real rally-x purpose, and keep this as a secondary vehicle, just not a street queen ever. :barf:

Seems you are deployed in service of the US somehow. If so thanks for your commitment.
Yep, US Army. No problem, and thanks for the thanks (still sounds weird after 9 years, and 2 prior deployments).

Personally, I hate cars, thats why I rally; to punish cars .
Lol, but I actually love my car for once, maybe all the more reason to get the $1k beater, and rally the piss out of that.
john vanlandingham
Al, just remember: it's us, or them...And the cars are out to get us.eye popping smiley
Decepticons, huh? tongue sticking out smiley
fiasco
Thanks for reminding me I still need to pull the fuel door off my Legacy and weld the busted hinge.
No problem. How'd you manage that?

Oh, and Wilson is an attorney, even thinking about threatening bodily harm is liable to get you slapped with a restraining order. grinning smiley
Hey now, don't put words in my mouth, I just warned him, no threats involved. That said:

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward. Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both.
Hence why I have almost zero respect for lawyers, and suddenly dislike this Kessler guy even more. And a lawyer that can't manage to spell also.

So chill out, relax, and just admit you want to build a drunk street racing in a school zone hooning car for now. I personally have all but given up on ever having a rally car -- I'll share a 24 Hours of LeMons ride until I figure out what I want to do when I grow up so I can have an actual career-type job. If you have huge expansive amounts of desert to play in, rock on and have fun!
Nononono, never. Lol, I may "hoon" through some snowy parking lots (not in El Paso obviously, maybe next time I can take her north again), and the desert, but I have standards, never drunk behind the wheel. winking smiley

Definitely plenty of desert, and mountain trails even, though the rocks require som hefty ground clearance or some very skillful maneuvering.

Yes, we have a low tolerance for "rice" here. Deal with it.
I shall, and that horse is a mushy pile of goop now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2013 09:46PM by gregroot198521.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 07, 2013 10:53PM
du, junge. auf Deutsch wo deine name kommt, sagen sie niemal "tH".
die "Th" bleibt immer nur "t" also deine name is eigentlich ausgesprochen
wie "R-a-T"

Did you notice the "von Kessler"...not only is he 'eine advokat" but a fucking Prussian, with monocle and dueling scar, the whole deal.
vorsicht junge!

I think this is the only known picture of beruhmte advokat heer von Kessler:

He's the guy to the left, so vorsicht junge!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
alkun
Albert Kun
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

August 07, 2013 10:53PM
Ratsack! heh, thats funny. Hes just busin' the proper Deutche pronounciation there.

We had this dude in highschool, Eric Schmidt. It was fun to call him Schmidt-head because how super serious mad he'd get...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 07, 2013 11:17PM
alkun
Ratsack! heh, thats funny. Hes just busin' the proper Deutche pronounciation there.

We had this dude in highschool, Eric Schmidt. It was fun to call him Schmidt-head because how super serious mad he'd get...

Ya think he know what we usaully call those Blue Thangs? Sub-a-...well it ain't rathsmoking smiley

Can you imagine how many dozens of different ways my poor innocent name has been hacked is HOW MANY different languages!@!!!?

And every langue group mangel-ates it to death differently.
fuck i can't even get it straight anymore

Dude,
the best boss, the most honest and fair I ever had was Chuck Scheibel in Olympia WA nearly allways referred to be as Fuckhead.
Admittedly there was so jealousy on his part cause well I had a shocking number of sweet young thangs I was involved in "Long Term Relationships" with and he was right, that what was in my head, but I didn't complain. It's just a name. Like in law, in language INTENTION counts..
I knew what he was meaning when he said Fuckhead---it was not a derogatory name..
It was a Badge of Honor! A compliment for a job well done.

Jan van Landeghem
aka Zhang Wei Han

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
SeanP
Sean Lane
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Dodge Neon G2, bruised

August 07, 2013 11:44PM
Lighten up, Francis.

Ratfawk. The gay is strong in this thread
gregroot198521
Greg Fuck off
Professional Moderator

August 08, 2013 01:22AM
Listen you ignorant tit, are you trying to tell me where my name comes from, like you have any fucking clue? Good job, Google brought up a few Germans with the same last name, bravo, the name is English however. You know, English from England, where they speak, you guessed it, fucking English. Oh, and guess how they pronounce the "th" sound there? Yeah as a fucking "th", so Rath is pronounced Rath. Now, yeah, I am a German/Polock, by blood line, but the name was originally Recek before my ancestors emigrated from Germany. They wanted an "American" name and copied some Brits last name thinking it sounded good. It didn't work. So yeah, please tell me more about me, like you fucking know me. I said I didn't like that name being used, but yet yall continue. Good job, you childish fucks. Hey Albert Kunt, since you seem to be somewhere higher in the mod rankings, feel free to delete my profile, I really don't see much use in continuing to get involved in ANOTHER forum full of douche-fags. You seem to be the dirty version of NASIOC. Sincerely, go fuck yourselves.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

August 08, 2013 06:36AM
gregRat198521
I said I didn't like that name being used, but yet yall continue. Good job, you childish fucks.

You, ah, Had a rough time in school, didn't ya tongue sticking out smiley

Enablers, All of you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2013 06:38AM by BobOfTheFuture.
simoniac
Simon Wright
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Focus

August 08, 2013 09:08AM
Wow, just wow.

Not sure I'd be comfortable knowing ratsack was in a car behind me on stage and possibly a first responder. Nice empathy for his fellow man showing through his wrath.

Be interesting to see how much help he gets in service when he's looking for that one critical part to get back out on stage. He's certainly having a hard time making friends here.

Simon

Simon Wright
Owner/Driver USUK Racing - Home of the USUK Racing LED Light Bars!

North America Rally Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login