Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Bianca ('06 STi), A New Start.
August 05, 2013 01:25PM
gregroot198521
People like you are the reason rally isn't followed as greatly anymore

Rally is probably followed more than ever in the USA.
People like you are the reason rally isn't more popular. How much money have you dumped into your street car?
Just saw a thing on facebook that a guy who was midway through a STI build just found out his girlfriend is pregnant. It's one of those over the top builds, probably going to be in the $40-60k range, so middle of the road open class car, and probably 3/4 done. Cage, lots of engine and power work, needs a bunch of other shit still. Think there's any chance he'll be able to finish it now that his bachelor days are done?

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
SeanP
Sean Lane
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 Dodge Neon G2, bruised

August 05, 2013 02:24PM
NoCoast
gregroot198521
People like you are the reason rally isn't followed as greatly anymore

Think there's any chance he'll be able to finish it now that his bachelor days are done?

Nope. But there is a really good chance that people like me will pick it up for 20 cents on the dollar winking smiley
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

August 05, 2013 03:58PM
You want to scare him away tell him his STI will cost 60k. Just because he has a newer STI doesnt mean he has to spend 60k. I have an 08 sti and im way under 20k build. I just rolled the car at RWV and am under $1500 in repairs.

Good suspention on an 87 golf is the same cost as a 06 Subaru. 08 Subaru is even cheaper with rear coilovers instead of struts.

How new the car is adds up to pitilly shit compared to entry,fuel and hotel costs.
You can build a $500 bmw or a 10k subaru in the end after all the goodies there only 2 to 3 rally budgets away from each other. If he wants to build an 06 I say do it. If he does it wright he will be competative and as cheap as a bunch of beamers.

Look at his floor mats and bling as a savings acount for the cage. When he guts the interior he can sell those goodies and recoupe some cage moneys.

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 05, 2013 04:10PM
Morison

john vanlandingham
Don't you fucking dare suggest we aren't welcoming..
You really need to start using emoticons more often, especially when you're chasing very dry, very ironical humour like this. confused smiley

Everything I say should be read with emoticons coming outta your ears cause everything is written with very very dry irony just dripping out of it.
It's the plague of a generation.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 05, 2013 11:16PM
Reamer
You want to scare him away tell him his STI will cost 60k. Just because he has a newer STI doesnt mean he has to spend 60k. I have an 08 sti and im way under 20k build. I just rolled the car at RWV and am under $1500 in repairs.

Good suspention on an 87 golf is the same cost as a 06 Subaru. 08 Subaru is even cheaper with rear coilovers instead of struts.

How new the car is adds up to pitilly shit compared to entry,fuel and hotel costs.
You can build a $500 bmw or a 10k subaru in the end after all the goodies there only 2 to 3 rally budgets away from each other. If he wants to build an 06 I say do it. If he does it wright he will be competative and as cheap as a bunch of beamers.

Look at his floor mats and bling as a savings acount for the cage. When he guts the interior he can sell those goodies and recoupe some cage moneys.

20k build? 08 sti car purchase included ??? Is your car competitive?

I've seen friends build a competitive low budget sti, but they had WAY more resources than 99.9999% of people. They sold it and got out of rallying when they realized it cost them almost 20k to run the car a season.

Grant Hughes
DaveK
Dave Kern
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

August 06, 2013 12:11AM
NoCoast
I've seen friends build a competitive low budget sti, but they had WAY more resources than 99.9999% of people. They sold it and got out of rallying when they realized it cost them almost 20k to run the car a season.

And had won a towing championship all within the state lines?

Dave 'ducks and covers'
BJosephD
Brian j Dyer
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
04 Rocky Mountain MTB...

August 06, 2013 06:48AM
This site is just an entirely different caliber of D-Bag than you are used to. I see this going one of two ways.
scenarios:
1. you build a rally car. scrap your "post for edit" nonsense, we dont do that here.
2. you go back to NASIOC and post there, where your build will forever be like the others.

gregroot198521
Wow, nice way of welcoming a new member. People like you are the reason rally isn't followed as greatly anymore, and has such a high atrition. Came here to read info, learn things, and figured if I was going to join I might as well post up what I've been working on. My bad for not being up to your guys standard. That said, I think I can be done with this site if the type of people here are the same types of d-bags found on NASIOC.
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

August 06, 2013 10:21AM
Yes car included. 10k from copart for 08 sti light front hit 48k miles. $900.00 cage 3k used rssp suspension sold rears struts for $1500 and bought some nice Ohlin reservore double adjust shocks for $1200. $900.00 to repair damage to front end. $1600 fia seats $600.00 in seat belts. $100.00 in hand brake. $300.00 in duel master pedal box. $200.00 in plumbing brakes fuel. $900 in subaru red calipers and carbotech race pads.

Thats aproximate of course. But heres the good part I sold the interior with seats for $1200.00 sold the wheels for $1600 sold the brembos to australia for $1500 sold door swithes a/c compressor, hid head lights ,sti badges, fog lights, door sills,sun vizors, nav radio,cigerete lighter blank,Stock pedals, ebrake, floor mats,rear wiper motor, 4 air bags basicly EVERY little part that someone might want to bling or fix there wrx,sti. for a still growing total of over $9000.00 take the aproxamite total of 19k -9k for a total out of pocket of 11k. I sold my oval track car to buy the wrecked sti and pay for cage and seats.

Thats an 08 sti with a tdo4 turbo that was 3rd fast on stgae 1 of RWV with an off and a left front flat 3/4 way threw with My wife as codriver who never seen notes before 8:30 am that morning. when we found out my origanal co driver was to sick to rally.

The car is plenty fast the driver on the other hand has miles and miles of stages yet to run to be competative.

First rally 2013
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 06, 2013 11:38AM
Nice work Jeff! You also have more resources available than most people. In many states, you can't buy from CoPart without a dealer license. To give you an idea, in Colorado to get a dealer's license you need a $30k surety bond, net worth of $50k+, credit score of 600+, and clean criminal record. Luckily you can buy at auction with just a business license, but you cannot sell more than 3 cars per year without dealer license.
PS> You still need the diff controller, cool Rocket rally maps, an ECU to tune your antilag, front and rear differentials, and and and... smiling smiley
At top SP pace, you will go through a set of pads daily and probably set of calipers per rally so that's $900 running expense right there. Plus tires. Plus turbos. Plus cats. Plus plus plus. Of course, you could leave the car simple and be happy with a decent regional car and be able to do well there.

Grant Hughes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 11:41AM by NoCoast.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

August 06, 2013 11:53AM
Reamer
Yes car included. 10k from copart for 08 sti light front hit 48k miles. $900.00 cage 3k used rssp suspension sold rears struts for $1500 and bought some nice Ohlin reservore double adjust shocks for $1200. $900.00 to repair damage to front end. $1600 fia seats $600.00 in seat belts. $100.00 in hand brake. $300.00 in duel master pedal box. $200.00 in plumbing brakes fuel. $900 in subaru red calipers and carbotech race pads.

Thats aproximate of course. But heres the good part I sold the interior with seats for $1200.00 sold the wheels for $1600 sold the brembos to australia for $1500 sold door swithes a/c compressor, hid head lights ,sti badges, fog lights, door sills,sun vizors, nav radio,cigerete lighter blank,Stock pedals, ebrake, floor mats,rear wiper motor, 4 air bags basicly EVERY little part that someone might want to bling or fix there wrx,sti. for a still growing total of over $9000.00 take the aproxamite total of 19k -9k for a total out of pocket of 11k. I sold my oval track car to buy the wrecked sti and pay for cage and seats.

Thats an 08 sti with a tdo4 turbo that was 3rd fast on stgae 1 of RWV with an off and a left front flat 3/4 way threw with My wife as codriver who never seen notes before 8:30 am that morning. when we found out my origanal co driver was to sick to rally.

I did much the same as you, but went the Evo route. ~$15k into two cars, but selling used bits back in 2008 was more lucrative than it is today and I managed to recoup ~$8k. No used options for suspension, so was into a set of Ohlins for nearly $8k. I figured proper rally car should have the prep done the right way cage, so FIA kit from Custom Cages plus having the shell scrubbed and seam welded. Add in Racetech seats at $2200, and I was already well over your total unfortunately. Forced the sale of both my 323GTX and Miata to finish the build. The nice thing is I had a good spares package since I started with two cars...but never did get over the issue of not having spare suspension.

Also hated the idea that I had to pay to slow down the car via restrictors, whereas in our local series we can run without. When first starting out you're 100% on the right track to keep the focus on improving you, but at some point if you're the competitive type and you're still not winning, the costs can really start to skyrocket if you let it:

Costs for restrictor
Costs for proper tuning so as not to melt crappy factory pistons
Costs for spare turbos so you can run aggressive antilag
Costs for brake overhauls from LFB'ing everywhere
Costs for spares package
Costs for built higher compression restrictor specific powerbands

Can't say I've found the meaning of life, but I don't think I'd build another AWD car to rally...the BMW is equally as fun and if I can solve these motor issues that only I seem to be having, the running costs are going to be substantially lower than AWD.

I think part of the point of the comments to the OP is that its way too easy to waste money on stuff and AWD classes give you more things to waste money on...which is probably the leading cause of early burnout and getting out of the sport.

Dave
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

August 06, 2013 01:22PM
The dealer license laws are similar here also. I had to get finger prints done. simalar bond. also have to have so much square footage comercial and so many parking spots. I have a used car and salvage license so I can sell parts and dismantle and sell used cars.

I probably do have more resources then most. Ive been buying tools and race parts for half my life. Ive built sold traded many cars over the years. Ive got a frame machine tube beders tig mig plasma mill lathe quite a few gadgets.Im not a big beer drinker I dont do drugs I dont smoke all I really do is think about racing. Im not rich because It seems every time I get ahead I find something racing to burn my cash on! I do have 2 kids 3 and 1 and a wife of 20 years.

I agree totaly on the cost to rally AWD not sure how much year and make make a differance after the car build is over. I can see wanting antilag so far with a tdo4 im happy with quick spool up. Ive been tuning open source with romraider but no anti lag with that system. I made my restrictor on a lathe for cheap. got an alunimum drop from local machine shop for $10.

I did dnf stpr from a blown turbo so thats a knock against that. so far car hasnt had many other issues other then self inflicted driver error.

I like 2wd and now that Subaru has the BRZ that may happen in the future.

Tires are going to be an issue I think possibly more the wieght then the power but they do where quick.

I had some pirrelis that seemed good until I drove them on the high way.that chewed them up quick. At RWV i tried the Black Rockets on here. they chunked and showed where after 2 stages. Again I think do to wieght more then HP. If I had any advise for car longevaty I would say build it as light as you can. no matter what drive you choose.

First rally 2013
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
czwalga
steve czwalga
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

August 06, 2013 01:43PM
NoCoast
Nice work Jeff! You also have more resources available than most people. In many states, you can't buy from CoPart without a dealer license. To give you an idea, in Colorado to get a dealer's license you need a $30k surety bond, net worth of $50k+, credit score of 600+, and clean criminal record. Luckily you can buy at auction with just a business license, but you cannot sell more than 3 cars per year without dealer license.
PS> You still need the diff controller, cool Rocket rally maps, an ECU to tune your antilag, front and rear differentials, and and and... smiling smiley
At top SP pace, you will go through a set of pads daily and probably set of calipers per rally so that's $900 running expense right there. Plus tires. Plus turbos. Plus cats. Plus plus plus. Of course, you could leave the car simple and be happy with a decent regional car and be able to do well there.

Grant,

You can it only costs $200 extra per car. I've bought 3 cars from copart, don't have a dealer license or anything. You just have to go through a broker.

As long as you go in expecting the worse and know what you're getting into there can be some good buys.

Buying and selling them as a biz is a different story. Buying them for rally parts is pretty easy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/06/2013 01:47PM by czwalga.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 06, 2013 02:58PM
czwalga
You can it only costs $200 extra per car. I've bought 3 cars from copart, don't have a dealer license or anything. You just have to go through a broker.

Varies state by state even, but yeah, there are ways to do it. Colorado USED to require dealer license, now just a business license, which is much easier.

Grant Hughes
gregroot198521
Greg Fuck off
Ultra Moderator

August 07, 2013 03:48AM
Morison
john vanlandingham
We simply asked a question, you know what a 'question' is, dontcha?
You simply asked a question.
Others responded with a bit more mock than welcome.

john vanlandingham
You didn't say a thing about what plans you have to gut the interior shit, cage it and pound the thing mercilessly in the woods....till you flip it.
So we're confused...

I dunno, the second sentence seems fairly clear:

gregroot198521
So for my current times I'll probably just build and enjoy this car for more off-roading purposes, and learn things from you guys here, maybe build something else to rally.

john vanlandingham
Don't you fucking dare suggest we aren't welcoming..
You really need to start using emoticons more often, especially when you're chasing very dry, very ironical humour like this. confused smiley
This. I answered JV's question in the second sentance of my post. Don't recall anything other than mocking from the rest, and some asshole posting a pic of a fugly riced out Pontiac. This car is just starting out, and it's definitely not a street car, hence received no love on NASIOC for my previous car (other than the one awesome thread there: Lifted. Rally Prepped or Just Plain Dirty Subarus). This car is going to go a similar route, but zero progress due to being gone from the country for the last 4 months, and going to still be gone for the forseeable future. I joined this site to learn, and figured if I was going to join, I would at least copy/pasta my current build in, so people can put a vehicle to the guy.

Now, as far as the floor mats, they are light, and they will be perfect for floor grip when I get them truck-bed-liner (probably just rhino-liner) coated, just like I'm planning for the bottom half of the exterior (Line-X for this). Yes, it'll add weight, but as I said, this isn't very likely to become a rally car in the sense of some of yours. Maybe rally-x at the most, due to the costs, not that interested in sinking that much money into something with minimal return beyond joy and adrenaline rushes. Can get that tearing around the desert (hence the Line-X plan), and don't have to drive far at all to find that in El Paso. There are some other parts of the interior that will get tossed, such as the roof liner, B and C pillar trim, rear seats will be removed again (just resting in the back half for a storage place currently), rear seat belts, and other parts unneeded due to lack of rear passenger space. Then I'll start looking into a cage for some more body strength as well as protection for myself; And move the battery to under the passenger side seat. Will install the roof vent and scoop I'll have waiting for me, as well as the 4/2 pot brake setup I'll have also waiting for me and then the 15" Braids I had on my old WRX will go on finally. Then it'll be time to get a set of struts revalved by Feal (gravel valving), some lifting King springs (~1.5" lift) and get the lift friendly adjustable trailing arms so I can readjust the location of my rear wheels and prevent rubbing on the fenders. Fender liners will likely get pulled and replaced with HDPE (I believe it was HDPE I was planning on, and not UHMW PU, or I could be backwards). May or may not install the mudflaps I have sitting around at this time too. There is more I'm planning, but it's slipping my mind currently, maybe I'll have to make myself an itemized list, just for my own organization, hence the reason I have saved posts for later editing and reformatting, my personal bit of OCD hell.

If people have actual questions, I'll answer, but I'm just not about d-baggery anymore. So I'll just ignore those from here on out, as I am interested in learning about rally builds more, not the d-baggery, I have that down already, thanks.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

August 07, 2013 06:25AM
You have to understand what this forum is and post as such. Pics of carbon fiber fuel doors, vs people pounding the fenders out from the inside around the fuel door just so it might kinda look half decent from 40 yards away.

This forum is pretty much about going fast and breaking stuff... and arguing for the fun of it. The 'other' forum is a little more docile, but still no one would car about pretty things, unless its an initial full out rally build. Then some people will drool, others will bitch because its not what they think you should be building.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login