Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Historic Class - why isn't it offered and why do organizers think it's an add-on to an existing class?

Posted by modernbeat 
bknblk2
Tony Wood
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Citation "Oskar"

I understand where your mind is at, but it's far too restrictive. There just aren't enough people in this country dedicated to the point of sourcing 30-40 year old unobtainium to then go risk said parts out in the woods. It must stay more open, anyone running the class looks over each others cars and gives the thumbs up or down. In the Mustang example, Shelby GT350's have been rallied, probably with 400 ish HP. So It's ok with you if I put a $$,$$$ R code motor in it as long as it has a "proper" datestamp but a 200HP 25 year old (that's 1989) 5.0 or heaven forbid a Mod motor is no good in your book?

None of "our" cars are going to set the world on fire, win rallies. Why not let more people into our odd clubhouse, not slam the door because they have a terraphone clubman or Dmacks....
Please Login or Register to post a reply
bttmotorsport
Jari Hamalainen
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Opel Monza, Chevy Monza to be finished 2012, BMW 318 iS

john vanlandingham
buerckner
Again 'cause we don't like to think to much we have a Classics class.

Check the entry list for our first round, there was at least one ex Australian champion entered and if stage times are compared they often run in the top 5-10 of the national class.
The guys that run have the funds and were/are quick enough but they don't want to run a modern car at 11 tenths everywhere.

Yeah Classic/ or Historic gets interchanged here. I don't know how many here know that the real "Historic" class requireds the shell or some part of the shell have "documented compertition history" from back in the day or some such pointless crap.

The thing is by the "Classic standard virtually every signle car i ever worked on except 2 for damn near 20 years at that point (early 2000s) had been pre 1980 and this esteamed Herr Doktor got quite pissed when a kept pressing "What is so different about a 1975 typical spec and a 1985 typical spec.."
And I meant details: valve sizes, clutch sizes, gear ratuios, final drive, suspension ..

Of courser the guy didn't know a single thing but he made little balls of his fist and stamped the ground and said
"What have YOU ever done to support Classic cars in US Rally?"
If You consider for example FIA Historic European Championship as "real" Historic, documented competition history has not been required for in about 10 years anymore. but cars must be built according the period rulebook + homologation form, excpect for safety gear. And they must have FIA Technical passport which can be obtained after inspection of the car.
Attachments:
open | download - 552288_10151009555804198_36748421_n.jpg (62.6 KB)
552288_10151009555804198_36748421_n.jpg
heymagic
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

There will be a point (or is now) where old, legitmate rally cars are all gone. This is not an easy life for a car. I don't have a problem with replicas because of that . I do have a problem (although very small) when someone decides to build a car for a class with no participation and then call out the world over it. If YOU want a historic class, then YOU need to do it. Get the group together, elect a chairman, get things going. It is laid out in the rule book and has been for years. The problem lies with the lack of competitors. CRS does it with their specific classes. YOU need to make the class happen and when or if that gets there and is not recognized then you have a legitimate bitch. As I mentioned we have offered it out here several times when there were enough cars to justify it and still no takers. They all wanted to run G2.

The other problem is the rolling date allowing relatively modern cars into the mix and then...what about the Quattro and GTX cars? Are we talking H2 and H5 as well as H0 or H PGT? Are you willing to be beaten about the head and shoulders by a well prepared historic AWD turbo car?
AnthonyLatham
Tony Latham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2015 Subaru WRX

heymagic
There will be a point (or is now) where old, legitmate rally cars are all gone. This is not an easy life for a car. I don't have a problem with replicas because of that . I do have a problem (although very small) when someone decides to build a car for a class with no participation and then call out the world over it. If YOU want a historic class, then YOU need to do it. Get the group together, elect a chairman, get things going. It is laid out in the rule book and has been for years. The problem lies with the lack of competitors. CRS does it with their specific classes. YOU need to make the class happen and when or if that gets there and is not recognized then you have a legitimate bitch. As I mentioned we have offered it out here several times when there were enough cars to justify it and still no takers. They all wanted to run G2.

The other problem is the rolling date allowing relatively modern cars into the mix and then...what about the Quattro and GTX cars? Are we talking H2 and H5 as well as H0 or H PGT? Are you willing to be beaten about the head and shoulders by a well prepared historic AWD turbo car?

Gene is totally right when he says all the competitors involved NEED to to get together, elect or designate a Chairperson and REPRESENT to the appropriate board. Funnily enough there are a few of us Canadians working on a historic class structure. Rally West and RPM have had Group D (Dinosaur) for some time now (Thank you Peter Hill!) and the timing seemed right for a class revision and push for national status. The new class is call Historic. We have decided to move to a fixed cutoff date for the Rallywest Historic Championship. The series will be for cars 1987 or older, 2wd with no turbos. While the XR4Tis and Turbo Volvos wouldn't qualify, the AE86 Toyota Corolla GT-S and Mk 2 VW Golfs would. Older Saabs (Like Garth Ankeny and Paul Westwick's), Porsche 911s and Ford Cortinas would be welcomed home like brothers. LSDs are allowed but sequential shifters are not. Further changes might be considered later but the consensus is that we want to see how many entries show up in 2013 first. It will be up to the class competitors to comment and lobby for any further rule changes. Once the full class regulations have been posted online I wiil post a link here and on ss.com.

Regards,
Tony

2015 Subaru WRX
Traded the Audi for the above
Sold the 1993 Honda Civic EG w/B16A Conversion to the Raw Racing boys
6 bicycles because, you know, global warming and all
Anders Green
Anders Green
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

modernbeat
Why are you ....

Write the rules for historic class (which will need to meet modern safety regs). Get four of your buddies to agree to them. Get five paid entries of compliant cars. I will announce the class the same day. smiling smiley

Looking forward to some old Saabs, MGBs, and Minis! smiling smiley

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
AnthonyLatham
Tony Latham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2015 Subaru WRX

Anders Green
modernbeat
Why are you ....

Write the rules for historic class (which will need to meet modern safety regs). Get four of your buddies to agree to them. Get five paid entries of compliant cars. I will announce the class the same day. smiling smiley

Looking forward to some old Saabs, MGBs, and Minis! smiling smiley

Anders

smileys with beer

2015 Subaru WRX
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

Anders, hold a rally closer to Texas and I will. FWIW we are thinking about tweeking some things on the car and sending Brianne to Rally West Virginia with it.

To everyone else, I'm not debating the merit of the class or the rules the class should or should not run under. RA already has a loose ruleset to run these types of cars under. And it's already in the rulebook. Why isn't it offered as a class at RA events? People keep saying that nobody shows up for the class, but at the same time they can't because the class is never offered. And many of the potential entries are a hell of a lot more subtle than the tiny SAAB.

And on the Shelby GT thing, the 5.0 is a shade of grey to me. If it's dressed halfway period, including a carb, I'd give it the thumbs up. But my example of a turbo Duratec would get the thumbs down from me. But if the majority of the other Historic Class participants said yes to it staying in H rather than G5, I'd be happy to go along with it.

Jason McDaniel
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

Jason, if it's not offered as a class at your local RA events and you want to run Historic, make a fuss and point out that section of the rulebook. The old SCCA guys are clearly wrong and it's a separate class, not an adjunct.

The immediate problem you'll face is getting someone to do something about it. Keep in mind that organizers have 50 bazillion things on their minds and tracking and making trophies for an extra class is just another set of things to do. Almost every organizer I know of would go out of their way to do it if there's a reason to, but they're not going to do it to satisfy the whims of one single competitor. You need mass support; i.e regular proof of multiple entries.

Or just get some famous model to drive the car and toss a lot of publicity and money at the National Series. That should work too.

Self-righteous douche canoe
HiTempguy
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

AnthonyLatham
and the timing seemed right for a class revision and push for national status. The new class is call Historic. We have decided to move to a fixed cutoff date for the Rallywest Historic Championship.

What's this "we" business? I just received the email today, and RallyWest hasn't even discussed it yet. confused smiley

Not that I see anything wrong with whats currently been presented, but that's not just my singular call.
AnthonyLatham
Tony Latham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2015 Subaru WRX

HiTempguy
AnthonyLatham
and the timing seemed right for a class revision and push for national status. The new class is call Historic. We have decided to move to a fixed cutoff date for the Rallywest Historic Championship.

What's this "we" business? I just received the email today, and RallyWest hasn't even discussed it yet. confused smiley

Not that I see anything wrong with whats currently been presented, but that's not just my singular call.

Gah, I should say that the RPM board had voted to switch from Group D to Historic class rules and my HOPE is that Rallywest will do that same. My apologies - I should not have presented this as a done deal.

Best regards,
Tony

2015 Subaru WRX
HiTempguy
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

AnthonyLatham

Gah, I should say that the RPM board had voted to switch from Group D to Historic class rules

I'm just busting your balls Tony, just busting your balls. smileys with beer
Morison
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

Hey Tony,

I'm curious about what the differences will be between this new Historic class and what GrD is right now. You've mentioned a fixed cut-off of 1987 as one difference, but what else needed changing?
Are the rules being adopted the rules Scott Trinder put forward to the CARS Board?
(not being argumentative, just asking)

2. Group D Preparation Rules
The Group D class is intended to provide a classification under which “low tech” vehicles can compete, with the objective that they are prepared to a standard of
competitiveness that would have been possible at the time of vehicle manufacture. Modifications to enhance reliability should be allowable within the constraints below. Safety requirements remain as stated in the National Rally Regulations.

2.1 Definition.
Vehicles must be 2-wheel drive, normally aspirated models sold in Canada in minimum units of 100 or in the United States in minimum units of 500. Drive configuration must remain as originally manufactured (e.g. front engine, front drive).
Vehicle models must have been manufactured for a model year 20 years or more before the beginning of the current competition year. i.e. for competition year 2005, vehicles from model years 1985 and earlier are eligible.
Competitors are responsible to provide acceptable evidence of the actual model
year of their vehicle.

2.2 Engines and Induction Systems.
Engines are unrestricted, but the engine block must be derived from the product line offered by the vehicle manufacturer in any of the eligible model years.
No forced induction is allowed.
The generic type of induction, i.e. carburetor(s), mechanical injection or electronic injection, normally available for the engine selected must be used.

2.2 Displacement.
Actual displacement must be no greater than 5100cc.

2.3 Bodywork
a) Except for b. and c., the modification, reinforcement, substitution, addition or deletion of parts and components is permitted without restriction, provided the vehicle complies with the safety and general regulations.
b) Exterior pieces (i.e.: all components licked by the air stream) must be visually similar to the original item, including bumpers. Except for doors and roofs, bolt-on body pieces may be constructed of an alternate material. A and B pillars must remain
original. The original floor pan and firewall must remain and may be modified only to the extent necessary to accommodate allowed alternate components.
c) Fenders may be modified to the extent necessary to provide tire clearance. Fender flares may be added. Installation of one-piece flared fenders or quarter panels is prohibited.

2.4 Mechanical Components.
Brakes, carburetors / injection, transmission, suspension, cooling, final drive ratio and type, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel are unrestricted except by paragraphs above.

2.5 Wheels.
Wheel diameter and width are unrestricted

2.6 Exemptions
Due to the nature of the class, and the difficulties of maintaining vehicles of this age, limited exemptions may be felt necessary to the age related rules above. Exemptions applicable to a specific vehicle, for a specific championship, may be requested from the relevant national or regional office.
An exemption must explain any modifications to, or deviations from, the above rules in sufficient detail so that compliance may be verified at technical inspection.
The written exemption must be attached to, and become part of, the vehicle logbooks.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
heymagic
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

Still looking at the RA rules and it appears Historic is not a regional class so national entry only. It isn't listed under the RA national championships awards. I'm guessing you get Historic points but they count for ??? Rules still mention the elected Historic chairperson and no procedure. I'd guess it must be a position elected by the Historic competitors , probably needn't be a competitor but should be someone with a fair bit of vehicle knowledge about the time period and performance specs of the cars.

So at the end of the day I'm going to guess it is more of a potential thing and is entirely up to the competitors to make it work. More of a thing RA will allow and recognise, as would NRS, IF there was an actual reason to. Organize the competitors into a cohesive group and RA has the provision to make it happen. Seems fair.

But...we need to do away with the Rally truck class, haven't seen one in years. GpN is gone as is GpA. P class needs to be done away with also, even though there are a few of those, most are just old beaters because people don't want to spend any money on performance and get the gold star for finishing well in an under subsrcibed class. Dead last and first in class is still dead last in my book.
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

I have an old car. I'm happy that it "looks" historic and that people will probably love seeing it. Like most of the rest who have "old" cars, I don't care about an official "historic" class. I just want to get out there (eventually) and have fun.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Ah I see something materializing in front of my eyes. Its a vison!
This

Made from 1984
Dropped into this:

Or this

Or even one of the "alleged 510s"

Hmmmmmmmmm

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login