Posted by john vanlandingham 
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Now we get to see who knows how to drive: 2wd In IDAHO
June 09, 2013 04:18PM
Who needs all those extra diffs and driveshafts and diff controllers and all those other driver's crutches?

Looks like Derek Nelson doesn't
Looked like Hoche-mong was doing pretty good too in a pretty damn mild spec Golf---which just happens to have a proper gear set and final drive in it.

Garth upholding Saabs honor by crushing cars 40 years newer! Can it get better than that?

Could it be that a well built 2wd car really is what's decisive?

Congratulations to everybody but especially them doing the mostest with the leastest.

Now, what were the big blunders?

• ...Who was most hung over?
  • ...Was Embreys DNF 0.1 in SS1 the shortest ever?
  • ...What happened to the new and improved Dave Clark in Sean's beautiful Xratty?
  • ...Kathy Hardy in the Volvo 240, let's talk about your impressions. I'll trade some advice for some (discreet) advice, and some ciggies, you should be stomping a lot of Blue Subies with that nice car.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

Re: Now we get to see who knows how to drive: 2wd In IDAHO
June 09, 2013 09:03PM
I was doing ok until I slid wide on a turn and smacked a berm with the rear end. It just debeaded the tire - no real harm done. Just cost me a few minutes of time to change it. I think I was running fourth or maybe third OA until then.

Que sera sera. Was my own damn fault.

Derik's freakin' fast. Holy cow.

Self-righteous douche canoe
Slowwpoke
Dave Clark "The Lesser"
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur XR4Ti

June 09, 2013 09:05PM
We were having a blast and setting some pretty good times on Saturday until our motor esplode. sad smiley
Pretty sure the black stuff needs to stay on the inside.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 09, 2013 10:27PM
Slowwpoke
We were having a blast and setting some pretty good times on Saturday until our motor esplode. sad smiley

AAAaaaaaaawwwww shit.

How many extra motors do you need?
wanna assemble a good one or just cram in one of the Cossie YBs I have here all minty fresh rebuilt with nice "zero-zero" cranks, new everything else..
4 wires to hook up...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
heymagic
Banned
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 10, 2013 01:12AM
Well he has a rally in two weeks so make it quick.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

June 10, 2013 01:28AM
Learning from this site all the time.

Black stuff = inside
Beads = Glue to rims

Enablers, All of you.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

June 10, 2013 02:59AM
Wait a minute, John, how is possible that a horrible Bowel Movement Wonder with the loooooonnnnnggggg boat anchor engine stuck way out ten feet in front of the car beat all those other cars? I thought they were terrible understeering pigs that couldn't be made to go around a corner? Hmmm, maybe they're not so bad after all? spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

**OK, sarcasm mode off**

**Though I do expect a several paragraph rambling response to what I posted as just a bit of teasing. winking smiley
Morison
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

June 10, 2013 08:58AM
Doivi Clarkinen
...how is possible that a horrible Bowel Movement Wonder...
Bwahahaha. I was going to post something similar but thought better of it.
John has long been saying that few people here push their cars to anywhere near their limits. Therefore, it would be expected that the driver getting more from their car - no matter the car - just might win.
Derik's fast and the car is good. The win is hardly a shocker when you look at it in context.

Slowpoke
Pretty sure the black stuff isn't actually supposed to be black... ;-)

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Anders Green
Anders Green
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

June 10, 2013 09:07AM
john vanlandingham
Now, what were the big blunders?
  • ...Was Embreys DNF 0.1 in SS1 the shortest ever?
Nope. I'm pretty sure the record held by Doug Havir at Maine Forest in around '02 will stand for quite some time. He didn't make it through the first corner to crash on the other side, and if 1/10th is about 500 feet, he was WAY less than that. We all started on the edge of the forest, I'd guess he made it about 150 - 200 feet. A bunch of drivers then ran down the stage to turn it over to get it out of the way.

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
John Reed
John Reed
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

June 10, 2013 10:48AM
First I want to say that this event was awesome, well organized and a great schedule to just ENJOY. And the roads. Wow. So smooth, and so much fun.

We got started off on the wrong foot at the event, first stage (that everyone was saying how it is the best stage road anywhere) and we caught the Ranger in front of us within 2 miles and spent the next 10 miles or so sucking dust and hemorrhaging time. It appears we lost close to a minute. My goal to finish on the 2WD podium looked not so good. Easy to let the competitive side get in the way of the fun side and I think that led the way for a couple of driving mistakes later which cost us more time. Then to finish the day we got to run Harris Creek the other way and well we caught the car in front of us AGAIN (thankfully later this time). Just wasn't our day. However, I had a blast driving and tried to just forget about times and enjoy the rally. I haven't been driving rally long, but I can't imagine a road being any cooler than Harris Creek. We were 6th in 2WD after day 1.

Day 2 started fresh, I was a minute back of Garth in 3rd and wasn't really thinking I could have a shot at catching him so I just wanted to have some fun. Stages were amazing again, notes were spot on from Joel and we were having a blast. We ended up taking big chunks of time out of the two cars between us and the podium and after 5 stages Sunday found ourselves on the 2WD podium for the weekend by about 40 seconds and 9th overall.

Car was flawless all weekend and soooooooooooo much fun to drive on those roads.

PS: Derick and Hoche-Mong are freakin fast!! Nice job guys. I look at your stage times in awe. Someday!!

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2013 10:49AM by John Reed.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 10, 2013 11:02AM
John Reed
First I want to say that this event was awesome, well organized and a great schedule to just ENJOY. And the roads. Wow. So smooth, and so much fun.

We got started off on the wrong foot at the event, first stage (that everyone was saying how it is the best stage road anywhere) and we caught the Ranger in front of us within 2 miles and spent the next 10 miles or so sucking dust and hemorrhaging time. It appears we lost close to a minute. My goal to finish on the 2WD podium looked not so good. Easy to let the competitive side get in the way of the fun side and I think that led the way for a couple of driving mistakes later which cost us more time. Then to finish the day we got to run Harris Creek the other way and well we caught the car in front of us AGAIN (thankfully later this time). Just wasn't our day. However, I had a blast driving and tried to just forget about times and enjoy the rally. I haven't been driving rally long, but I can't imagine a road being any cooler than Harris Creek. We were 5th in 2WD after day 1.

Day 2 started fresh, I was a minute back of Garth in 3rd and wasn't really thinking I could have a shot at catching him so I just wanted to have some fun. Stages were amazing again, notes were spot on from Joel and we were having a blast. We ended up taking big chunks of time out of the two cars between us and the podium and after 5 stages Sunday found ourselves on the 2WD podium for the weekend by about 40 seconds and 9th overall.

Car was flawless all weekend and soooooooooooo much fun to drive on those roads.

PS: Derick and Hoche-Mong are freakin fast!! Nice job guys. I look at your stage times in awe. Someday!!

How in the world were you seeded behind a pick-up truck?

You could have, knowing how crazy light they are in the back, just given it the gentlest of little nudges as a hint to them to get the fuck out of the way...
And if that didn't work, a bit more, but still gentle nudge....

Also that's a good reason to have a seriously GOOD horn, say something off a locomotive, and then LAY ON the horn...especially in corners...

It is not a rule like Section 8.8 paragraph a thing, but it is a long unwritten rule that if you're caught, especially in short time, then get the hell out of the way so people a) don't flip out, and b) everybody can have a good time..
When they steadfastly refuse, you file an "Inquiry" citing the paragraph on "Unsportsmanlike conduct" which should be a big hint that their behavior has pissed off people and that they need to wake the fuck up.

Poor ol John Lane had even inquired about seeding behind some POS pickup driven by some woman from Oklahoma or some desolate wasteland, and got a stupid arrogant answer from her, proceeded to catch her in less than 5 miles, she continued her normal 27-30 mph "National Championship" pace and Lane, foolishly being polite and not ramming her hard, ended up parked way off the road and damaged his poor long suffering Volvo (nothing saying he might not have later crashed it even harder, he did that about every event, but those were his mistakes, not simply being pointlessly, and stupidly blocked for nothing, except arrogance and spite..)

If you get REAL close, like less than 3 feet, your lights and radiator and windshield are safe from rocks AND the chance for any damage is lessened..

Plus they can hear the horn better.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
HiTempguy
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

June 10, 2013 11:06AM
John Reed
we caught the Ranger in front of us

I've saw you drive and you are fast. Is there a particular reason you were seeded far enough back to be behind a ranger (no offense to the ranger driver, but I don't think I've ever seen a 2wd truck do well EXCEPT for Bill?)
John Reed
John Reed
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Toyota AE86

June 10, 2013 11:10AM
john vanlandingham
How in the world were you seeded behind a pick-up truck?

You could have, knowing how crazy light they are in the back, just given it the gentlest of little nudges as a hint to them to get the fuck out of the way...
And if that didn't work, a bit more, but still gentle nudge....

Also that's a good reason to have a seriously GOOD horn, say something off a locomotive, and then LAY ON the horn...especially in corners...

It is not a rule like Section 8.8 paragraph a thing, but it is a long unwritten rule that if you're caught, especially in short time, then get the hell out of the way so people a) don't flip out, and b) everybody can have a good time..
When they steadfastly refuse, you file an "Inquiry" citing the paragraph on "Unsportsmanlike conduct" which should be a big hint that their behavior has pissed off people and that they need to wake the fuck up.

Poor ol John Lane had even inquired about seeding behind some POS pickup driven by some woman from Oklahoma or some desolate wasteland, and got a stupid arrogant answer from her, proceeded to catch her in less than 5 miles, she continued her normal 27-30 mph "National Championship" pace and Lane, foolishly being polite and not ramming her hard, ended up parked way off the road and damaged his poor long suffering Volvo (nothing saying he might not have later crashed it even harder, he did that about every event, but those were his mistakes, not simply being pointlessly, and stupidly blocked for nothing, except arrogance and spite..)

If you get REAL close, like less than 3 feet, your lights and radiator and windshield are safe from rocks AND the chance for any damage is lessened..

Plus they can hear the horn better.

Speed factor growing pains for me, which I am sure everyone new suffers from. The truck was very cool and I heard they are pretty quick in the more open desert events (basically a REALLY nice pre-runner truck, that sounded amazing as well) but perhaps not as suited for the roads in Idaho.

We joked about a little nudge and the fact the truck could probably use my poor Corolla as a jump and not damage itself. I can see very easily how one could get frustrated to the point of ending up with the car in the ditch. Some days go your way and some don't but in terms of a "bad" day, it was pretty awesome even still!

John Reed
John Reed Racing
www.johnreedracing.com
johnreedracing@gmail.com
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 10, 2013 11:10AM
HiTempguy
John Reed
we caught the Ranger in front of us

I've saw you drive and you are fast. Is there a particular reason you were seeded far enough back to be behind a ranger (no offense to the ranger driver, but I don't think I've ever seen a 2wd truck do well EXCEPT for Bill?)

Probably something to do with the CRS thing I'd guess...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

June 10, 2013 11:24AM
My 12 year old son Riley and I went and serviced for Derik. Our trip started off not so good as we left at 4:30 pm Friday, and spent 4 hours waiting for an overturned semi to be removed from Snolqualmie pass. With that, we arrived at the host hotel at 5:15 am, watched the sunrise, went to bed, and got up at 7. Derik drove that car very well, had only 1 small issue on Saturday and ended up 5 seconds back of O'driscoll. Sunday went well as he made up time on most of the stages to win the event. I have watched the incar, and it is just driving good lines, and using the brakes well.

The poor Merkur broke a ring or holed a piston. Iwas gutted for Dave, as his times were getting pretty damn good! The car will be here Wednesday John, I need to see if I have a good shortblock that I can freshen up, or if you have one you could have ready by Friday? Nothing fancy yet, just a fresh stocker.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login