Posted by john vanlandingham 
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

Re: Now we get to see who knows how to drive: 2wd In IDAHO
June 10, 2013 10:59PM
Can't fool me. We'ze were spikkin of Norte Americano rallies, that Ford Transit in the background and the biker in the background not being morbidly obese says I don't think that we're in Kansas anymore.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

June 10, 2013 11:40PM
john vanlandingham

I wonder seriously if, since the early 1990s if there are any body out there aside from Holmes and the Saab V4s that have entered with pushrod motors?

Merrill had that S10 thing, a couple others have gone that route. 3.8/4.3 V6 maybe turbo?

Hurst's and Utect's old Mooseangsts.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 10, 2013 11:54PM
fiasco
john vanlandingham

I wonder seriously if, since the early 1990s if there are any body out there aside from Holmes and the Saab V4s that have entered with pushrod motors?

Merrill had that S10 thing, a couple others have gone that route. 3.8/4.3 V6 maybe turbo?

Hurst's and Utect's old Mooseangsts.

Yeah I forgot them, there was a nice guy with a Mooseangst too out here...
back in the 80s there were a few Starlets out here..The one car with shorter pushrods than a V4 that I know of.

Did that absurd Pick up of Merrill ever finish a stage? 2?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Creech
Scott Creech
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Audi 90 Quattro (WIP)

June 11, 2013 01:45AM
john vanlandingham
Can't fool me. We'ze were spikkin of Norte Americano rallies, that Ford Transit in the background and the biker in the background not being morbidly obese says I don't think that we're in Kansas anymore.

That looks more like one O' them "Mere-Kay-Teez" Dodge-Sprinter-alike vanzez. I can see a chikkin'-trakk on th' hood O' the one on th' Left. Ca' nay tell for sure th' other two.

Burger-Eats stickerz on the Ol' General, too.

Might be Canadia?

Parfois, on fait pas semblant!

I am:
I know:
I am from:

Nobody.
Nothing.
Nowhere.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2013 01:47AM by Creech.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 11, 2013 08:23AM
Kingdeals.gr sticker kinda implies not north America. The text over wheel well looks like Greek to me. I'm going with two big indicators that its from Greece.

Grant Hughes
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

June 11, 2013 10:40AM
Creech
john vanlandingham

That looks more like one O' them "Mere-Kay-Teez" Dodge-Sprinter-alike vanzez. I can see a chikkin'-trakk on th' hood O' the one on th' Left. Ca' nay tell for sure th' other two.

Burger-Eats stickerz on the Ol' General, too.

Might be Canadia?

There is a citroen van in the bg too, so definately not here.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

June 11, 2013 11:54AM
It is really cool to see another 2WD overall win.
The E36 BMW may have it's perceived issues, but they are amazingly easy and quite fun to drive. On paper they may not look like a perfect rally car but they work very well.
I have some seat time in a RWD car so it's hard to say, but when I drove Dave's Compact at CORE, it was instantly easy feeling.
One of our Chumpcar drivers commented on how quickly he felt comfortable and confident in the car. He said he was a little concerned as he'd never driven a BMW but said it was really easy to come to terms with. His rally/hill climb car is FWD so that's most of his experience.

Grant Hughes
DaveK
Dave Kern
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

June 11, 2013 12:00PM
NoCoast
One of our Chumpcar drivers commented on how quickly he felt comfortable and confident in the car. He said he was a little concerned as he'd never driven a BMW but said it was really easy to come to terms with. His rally/hill climb car is FWD so that's most of his experience.

Need to get a 2nd seat mounted so he can see where the 6 or 7 seconds are. Easy to hop into and be comfortable with, but the limits are further than it feels like where they should be. You did awesome! Based on times from other BMWs (though real race prepped) I think the car still has another 3-4 seconds in it. Better brake fluid, more aggressive brake pads, and fiddling with alignment should find most of that.

Dave
johnhuebbe
John Huebbe
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle & 1991 Subaru Legacy

June 11, 2013 12:43PM
john vanlandingham

My motor is pushrod.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 11, 2013 01:00PM
johnhuebbe
john vanlandingham

My motor is pushrod.

Yeah forgot that too, so was the insane loon, and old friend Dave La Tourette's 2.7 turbo 4wd bug..

But counting all these cars I forgot we still have fingers left over. Didn't even need to take me sockies off and count me toes.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Morison
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

June 11, 2013 01:02PM
john vanlandingham
But counting all these cars I forgot we still have fingers left over. Didn't even need to take me sockies off and count me toes.
Kinda like the Group 5 cars currently entering events in Canada...

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

June 11, 2013 01:09PM
john vanlandingham
johnhuebbe
john vanlandingham

My motor is pushrod.

Yeah forgot that too, so was the insane loon, and old friend Dave La Tourette's 2.7 turbo 4wd bug..

dat mah cousin
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

June 11, 2013 01:48PM
DaveK
Does CRS use minimum weights vs. displacement for G2, or is it simply engine size and weight is whatever you can afford?

Forgot to answer this (I was on the road yesterday and was typing during gas stops).

The CRS doesn't use minimum weights. No one's got any scales - there's no way to check. Maybe some day I'll buy a set of those $1000 scales and donate them to the CRS, but until then we're sorta stuck with the whole "eyeball the engine and look up its stats on Teh Interwebs" thing.

Mostly works, 'cept for some damn guy in some damn Golf who keeps running away from the rest of the CRS-2 cars down south. *cough*

Self-righteous douche canoe
bknblk2
Tony Wood
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Citation "Oskar"

June 11, 2013 02:19PM
Wez was pushrod powered (pontiac 3800, full gallon of powah) till I tried driving through a pair of 40 foot tall pushrods... come to think of it, the didn't push well at all! Even with the .8 multiplier still makes it a G5 against NASCAR powered ponycars. none the less I'm in the one class for 2wd.
PurplePanda
Dustin Embrey
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1987 Toyota Corolla GT-S

June 11, 2013 06:56PM
My Turn, My Turn, My Turn!

For the record, I didn't DNF .1 miles into stage, the GPS showed 1.4 where we pulled off, and it mostly wasn't my fault.

I'll go back a bit before I get to that though. My regular co-driver Mr. Stoner was unable to make Idaho as work forced him to go to Hawaii for some flight testing. The poor guy. Mr. Crane, the man responsible for the hole where all my money goes, graciously agreed to co-drive for me in exchange for one stage. I think he's still a little addicted to the power of my 20 valves. Greasecar so kindly provided Garth with some new Dmack rally tires, 195 mediums for the rear and 175 softs for the front in exchange for my credit card information.

Just before we left our home base for recce, the alternator on the service truck decided to die, so we took a quick trip to the ol' auto parts store in the panda for a new alternator. Once the 19 year old love of my life/clerk finished toying with the alternator tester, we had a new alternator, and I'm pretty sure new fan.

Recce was fine, and I even did a little stream crossing for shits sake. While we were up on the mountain, Garth's minions slaved away on mounting my new tyres.

Saturday I decided to stick some semi used Mediums in the front to save tread, and Adam and I headed up for the beginning of the stages. Hiding in some shade, waiting for the drivers meeting to begin, I casually commented on the beauty of the reliable Toyota. I really need to stop doing that BEFORE the rally. I curse to myself as I see Derek arrive, and mentally settle for the podium being pandaless. Our turn to go, comes up and here is where it all went wrong. Adam, being fresh in the co-driver seat makes his first mistake before we even get to the starting line, and forgets to give candy to the start workers. Karma is a bitch.

Starting time comes within 3 seconds and I realize Adam is spending more time fiddling with his Contour, and has forgotten to alert me of the impending beginning to the race. I slam the pedal down, and she's at 8000rpms before the clock strikes :00. I dump the clutch, and off we go. WOO HOO, RALLAY!!! Here comes turn 5, Adam's already three turns ahead in the notes, no biggie, I just have to remember more before I get to the turns. Go to shift to third as I exit a left 3 and the car wont go in gear, boo. I try once more for third, nothing. With loss of speed I shift back to second, no problems here, bad shifting, nothing new, let's get back up to speed. Press the gas, engine leaps to 8500 rpms, yet the car seems to be strangely going the same speed. CURSES!

Flat towed into service, started to disassemble and below is what came out of the starter hole.

Continue to remove the transmission and this is what my clutch looked like.

I was going to replace the clutch before Hood, but it was still biting, and not really showing any signs of slippage. I did not anticipate it exploding as it did.

Went to Boise, got a new one. (took about 4 hours there and back, thanks Boise Iron Man). Spent all night trying to get it back together, finally gave up at 11pm. I am not sure, but my best guess is that the pilot bearing took a shit, and so the slop was preventing us from being able to connect the transmission back to the car. We tried several different methods, with Adam, myself, and our fearless pit Ken, all taking turns at a try. I've got a new flywheel, clutch and all of the fun accessories that will be on before Nameless. So I will see you guys there.

Shortest rally, longest post. Suck It. I need to win at something.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login