Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

Re: U.S rally: How's it going guys?
August 16, 2013 01:41PM
john vanlandingham
BUT
Some genius many times smarter than even your celestial height of erudition wrote on some other forum this:
Oooooo... I see what you did thereeye rolling smiley

john vanlandingham
Late 1980s/early 90s...$100 /day
Except that Derek said he paid $250 entry to doowops in 1988 so we know the $100 isn't the right starting point. But even if entry fees were $100 in the late 70s and early 80s, that would have been a 250% increase in 8 years. over 30% increase per year, and regional entry fees of over $1000 today.

john vanlandingham
...explain how all the people that say the high cost of entry to their SS1 is trivial and their concerns should be dismissed as you are doing.
You so love to misrepresent me and what I say.
What I said wasI think one of the reasons people think entry fees are too high is people keep telling them they are.
People who come from some other automotive motorsports regularly comment about how relatively cheap rally is, but also complain about the logistical nightmare associated with the sport.
But beyond that, you have to appreciate that the cost of entry isn't going up just to line some people's pockets. As Gene has pointed out, the cost of putting on events isn't doing anything but increasing and surely you know few, if any, organisers are holding rally events for personal profit. (certainly not the case in Canada.)

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 16, 2013 01:46PM
Morison
john vanlandingham
BUT
Some genius many times smarter than even your celestial height of erudition wrote on some other forum this:
Oooooo... I see what you did thereeye rolling smiley

john vanlandingham
Late 1980s/early 90s...$100 /day
Except that Derek said he paid $250 entry to doowops in 1988 so we know the $100 isn't the right starting point. But even if entry fees were $100 in the late 70s and early 80s, that would have been a 250% increase in 8 years. over 30% increase per year, and regional entry fees of over $1000 today.

john vanlandingham
...explain how all the people that say the high cost of entry to their SS1 is trivial and their concerns should be dismissed as you are doing.
You so love to misrepresent me and what I say.
What I said wasI think one of the reasons people think entry fees are too high is people keep telling them they are.
People who come from some other automotive motorsports regularly comment about how relatively cheap rally is, but also complain about the logistical nightmare associated with the sport.
But beyond that, you have to appreciate that the cost of entry isn't going up just to line some people's pockets. As Gene has pointed out, the cost of putting on events isn't doing anything but increasing and surely you know few, if any, organisers are holding rally events for personal profit. (certainly not the case in Canada.)

He said---therefore it must be.eye rolling smiley
I said I was paying 100 in the early '90s, but you reflexively ignore that and choose to believe what was then a mere teenager's memory. eye rolling smileyeye rolling smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Morison
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

August 16, 2013 02:44PM
Yah, something that 20+ years in journalism has taught me.

Source 1 "I paid $100 entry fees in the early 90s"
Source 2 "I paid $250 entry to Doo Wops in 1988"

Source 2 is inherently more credible because it references a specific fee for a specific event in a specific year.

Throw in Source 3 "We used to have sub $100 regional or divisional events out here and $300 or less nationals back in the 80s."

Together, that suggests $100 regionals in the 90s likely wasn't the case and that Source 1's information is the 'outlier' and would need more substantiation.

Most importantly, all of the source material is hearsay and any documentation from the day would be considered authoritative. I've been asking around for supps from the 70s, 80s and 90s out of curiosity.

But then, that's all obvious boring stuff...

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 16, 2013 09:30PM
fuckin idiot. Doo-wops was a stand alone often 2 stage run 4 time event when it started. It also had a policy of absolute no day of event entries. It was higher priced than any other Divisional by far and the 2 stage run a bounch of times didn't appeal to me so I didn't do it..
I'm not interested in debating with an idiot like you enough to go and dig out more events than the one I quoted "1988 Pacific Forest Pro Rally" because you're just a dumb fuck annoying pissant who like to argue about unimportant things. It was typically 100 buck for Divisionals and MOST Divisionals ran in conjunction with "Pro" or "Natioanl events---that I did...

Being a complete schlub, you still argue about shit you weren't at, and obviously know nothing about. You believe the memories of a guy who was maybe 17-19 years old because you want to, simple as that.

My 40 something years in contact with imbeciles who call themselves "Journalists" has taught be that they almost invariably are so ignorant that they mistake a passing comment that is news to them as "knowledge", but are almost always partially wrong on most critical details...but since they really just want to yap that isn't a major concern. Thet are among the least trustworthy, most prone to exagerate and fabricate grand works of fiction of any group I have been around except police who are congenital liars.

Whatever the case, bub, it was $100 in the early 90s, average $846 now.

And that is out of all proportions to any other rise except "Heathcare".
Even CEO salaries have not risen so fast.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Morison
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

August 16, 2013 11:00PM
john vanlandingham
Doo-wops was a stand alone often 2 stage run 4 time event when it started. It also had a policy of absolute no day of event entries. It was higher priced than any other Divisional by far and the 2 stage run a bounch of times didn't appeal to me so I didn't do it.
But this isn't all about you. (you often make the mistake that it is)
We're talking about average entry fees and frankly your statements aren't matching up with what other people are saying.
Derek also said:

The entry fee for 1988 Doo Wops was $250. Entry Fee for Oregon Trail Regional was $773 in 2013 the math works out to 4.6% annual growth over the 25 years but Doo Wops was always a lower cost rally than Doo Wops so 4.6% is likely overstated.
Now, even the simplest of minds can see through the typo to see that he meant to say that 'Doo Wops was always a lower cost rally than Oregon Trail...'
So... you insist Doo Wops was higher priced than any other divisional, by far, and Derek says it was always lower. Certainly in more recent years the event prided itself on keeping costs low, so when did that change.
john vanlandingham
I'm not interested in debating with an idiot like you enough to go and dig out more events than the one I quoted "1988 Pacific Forest Pro Rally" because you're just a dumb fuck annoying pissant who like to argue about unimportant things. It was typically 100 buck for Divisionals and MOST Divisionals ran in conjunction with "Pro" or "Natioanl events---that I did...
But when you say "National Pacific Forest whatever the fuck it was...", showing you don't exactly remember the name of the event, do you really think you come across as authoritative on the price?
Beyond that:
john vanlandingham
...although I entered the 2 club events. Total: $200.

OK, there's the $100 entry figure from 1988 - for each of two one-day regionals.
So, the comparison number for today would be either the $200 to the price of all regionals ($750) or $100 to the price of a single day entry ($450.)
So, even before adjusting for inflation, which really isn't being honest about the costs, you are between 275% and 350% increase.
When you do account for inflation, that $100 in 1988 would equal 197.46 in today's dollars. So in 'buying power' terms, it's closer to a 127% increase.

john vanlandingham
Whatever the case, bub, it was $100 in the early 90s, average $846 now.
But it's not, even by your numbers. YOU said $200 for both divisionals, so compare right price to the right price. When you do that, there is still a big question of 'why have entries more than doubled in cost, after accounting for inflation.'

john vanlandingham
Even CEO salaries have not risen so fast.
Mostly because more often than not, CEOs don't make the majority of their incomes in salary but rather in bonuses or options.

On another note: Are you up to the challenge of carrying on discussions that don't end up in personal attacks and insults?

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

August 16, 2013 11:33PM
DooWop was always priced to be a low cost divisional event. Back then the insurance costs took a large jump to include real medical coverage. In 1998 DW was only $165. DW was always priced to be grass roots affordable and was actually one of the first true divisional events after SCCA originated that particular program.

Costs are what they are, nothing is going to change that in any great fashion. RA backed down the entry fees after obtaining cheaper insurance from USAC. NRS has always been affordable if you had decent car count. No organizer is getting wealthy doing this. There is just no good reason that rally has to be the bottom of the food chain poor mans sport.

Overall the sport is hanging in there. Some cloudiness over the future in regards to RA/USAC/SCCA as to 'who is on first' and who will be around next year and the year after. NRS is stable and will be fine.
Morison
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

August 17, 2013 02:16AM
heymagic
DooWop was always priced to be a low cost divisional event.

[chevy]Gene, you ignorant slut![/chase]
Stop spreading rumorus and lies like that.
The all knowing, all seeing, all remembering John John John John Van Van Van Van landingham ham ham ham has decreed otherwise.
(Yah, I know Vanlandingham is a single word, it's called poetic license)

infallible memory
Doo-wops ... was higher priced than any other Divisional by far...

[/single malt]

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2013 04:29AM by Morison.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 17, 2013 11:27AM
Morison you stupid cunt. Shut the fuck up cocksuckling shithead.
Just shut the fuck up.
You disgusting moron.
You know why you're a disgusting piece of shit--abnd i treat you exacly as you deserve?
Because you're a obvious cunt-troll.
You said like a cock-sucking faggot you are--so big lisp: Well (swish!) as a Journalists for OOooooooOOOOver 50 years I learn that..."
First you cunt, you learned nothing.
Second YOU HAD A QUOTE shithead, and if I didn't write the whole pretentious stupid name used ONE TIME 25 years ago does NOT meran I don't remembered things:
It means THE NAME of the event YOU FUCKING MORONIC CUNT is not THE SUBJECT WE ARE DISCUSSING

Second, you had a quote and a name and a amount before my friend Derek mentioned in passing a single incident when he was a testosterone drenched kid (as opposed to now being a testosterone drench early 40s guys---tee hee), but you, a fat putz in some desolate nowhere dimsisses the one and choose to believe the other "Because I learned after 70 years as a ..." asshole walking around in little shit-hole.......
Bullshit

You are a bullshitter--you just admitted to being a CAR SALESMAN....fuck you..
Go away. You always, like most idiots who don't ever really do anything well, always miss the point and waste time correct things that are unimportant.

Fuck you.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Morison
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

August 17, 2013 01:42PM
john vanlandingham
Second, you had a quote and a name and a amount before my friend Derek mentioned in passing a single incident when he was a testosterone drenched kid (as opposed to now being a testosterone drench early 40s guys---tee hee), but you dimsisses the one and choose to believe the other

Since you seem to have missed where I, perhaps too quietly, acknowledged your $100 divisional entry fee and worked with that number.

So, here it is again:
Morison
OK, there's the $100 entry figure from 1988 - for each of two one-day regionals.
So, the comparison number for today would be either the $200 to the price of all regionals ($750) or $100 to the price of a single day entry ($450.)
So, even before adjusting for inflation, which really isn't being honest about the costs, you are between 275% and 350% increase.
When you do account for inflation, that $100 in 1988 would equal 197.46 in today's dollars. So in 'buying power' terms, it's closer to a 127% increase.

An analogy would be saying that in the '80s I could buy a beer for $1 but today a case of 12 costs me $20. That's a 2000% increase! (Let's ignore that it's actually a 1900% increase)

john vanlandingham
You ... always miss the point and waste time correct things that are unimportant.
Not so.

The topic is 'U.S rally: How's it going guys?'

As a part of that, someone pointed out that 'today' the regional entry fees are being kept down because of the higher National entry fees being charged.
Your response was to ask "...why have regional entry fees gone up 800% in this century??[/quote]

Using the numbers you provide, the answer is clear that 'divisional entry fees' haven't risen by anywhere near 800% when you look at the raw numbers.

Of course taking that position plays to your need to be seen as the lone champion of the clubbie's best interests but, frankly, does nothing but build animosity between newbies, organizers and sanctioning bodies. It does more harm than good for the sport.

Of course we are all guilty, from time to time, of making off-the-cuff remarks that are based in sentiment, not fact, that are quickly shown to be wrong. I know I've done it and, like most civilized people, I'm quick to admit it and stand corrected.

There was an easy way out of this...

What john vanlandingham could have said
Clearly "800% in this Century" was a purposeful exaggeration to make the point that Rally has never been more expensive to get started in than it is today. Entry fees take more than double the hard earned dollars out of the clubbie's wallet while the federation kneels down in front of a few trustafarian types who want to tow their way to a championship, but only if the rules can be skewed to their favor.
Yah, maybe the lowly regional entry fee is reduced thanks to insanely high national entry fees but the real question is would the entry fees be even lower if Foggie Boys and the midwest brain-trust before them weren't solely focused on sponsorship and corporate sponsorships.
Sponsors? We don't need no steenking sponsors!
Like everything except hookers and scotch, cheaper is betterer

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 17, 2013 02:15PM
oh shut the fuck up.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Morison
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

August 17, 2013 02:52PM
So is it just you refuse to admit you were wrong or do you actually not believe you can be wrong?

http://www.rallyanarchy.com/phorum/search.php?1,search=I+was+wrong,author=john+vanlandingham,page=1,match_type=PHRASE,match_dates=30,match_forum=ALL,match_threads=0

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

August 17, 2013 06:01PM
Epic thread .
alkun
Albert Kun
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

August 17, 2013 06:48PM
heymagic
Epic thread .

Indeed! if I win the lotto, I'm going to hire actors from the royal shakespeare company and have them read John/Keith dialogs in the modern art museum...
Jens
Jens
Infallible Moderator

August 17, 2013 06:56PM
alkun
heymagic
Epic thread .

Indeed! if I win the lotto, I'm going to hire actors from the royal shakespeare company and have them read John/Keith dialogs in the modern art museum...

Hey! This is my thread. You have to pay me royalties if you want a piece of the action.
Morison
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

August 17, 2013 07:23PM
Jens
Hey! This is my thread. You have to pay me royalties if you want a piece of the action.

Hell, I'm authoring half the lines (most of the family friendly ones at that) so there should be a cut coming my way as well.
FWIW I'd pledge my royalties to reducing entry fees at regional events in Western Canada...

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login