Rally Chat
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

best central us locale to get the most rallys in a year?

Posted by Snidewhips 
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

Re: best central us locale to get the most rallys in a year?
November 18, 2013 11:29AM
i'm in wv about a days drive from all the east coast rallys
and 3 hour drive from rally wv

its a third world state but in a central location

i'm from here and aim to get from here,asap

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
Please Login or Register to post a reply
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

November 18, 2013 11:45AM
HiTempguy
aj_johnson

Adam may snub 50k a year, and think a $400k house is a good deal

The twisting of words is strong with this one. I explained that I personally did not feel that DOLLAR to DOLLAR, you could afford the same standard of living with the same job elsewhere. Nothing more, nothing less. I also didn't say it couldn't be done.

Adam if I'm reading your above statement correctly...- Mom and dad paid for housing, schooling, and basic necessities, and you are proud that you paid for a few car parts and a couple vacations to play with cars in the woods?

You can read into what I said however you want. I don't particularily feel the need to justify what I've done or how I've done it. Needless to say, I'm content with my place in life, other people's views on it are pretty irrelevant (actually, completely irrelevant).

I will say though, to not be "good" with your place in life or to look down on people that didn't have to scrape for every little thing, must be hard carrying that large of a chip on your shoulder.

No chip, don't have time for one winking smiley There are many attitudes one can take towards work/life, I'd rather be paid less, but have more free time to be with the family etc. There is always a way to turn a dime, and as such my family will always be taken care of. I do not feel the need to love my job but I do love what my job allows me to do with the free time it gives.

To be honest I have no idea what your financial situation is, nor do I care. Just seems like you enjoy arguing now and again. I was also up late with sick children and not in the most friendly of moods. Sorry about that.
HiTempguy
Banned
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

November 18, 2013 11:56AM
aj_johnson

To be honest I have no idea what your financial situation is, nor do I care. Just seems like you enjoy arguing now and again. I was also up late with sick children and not in the most friendly of moods. Sorry about that.

I loves me some arguing! I didn't feel particularily insulted or anything, I just like it when the argument remains (what I feel) is relevant.

I completely agree on the living your life vs working aspect. That's why I (normally) work 40 hours per week and have 5 weeks of paid vacation a year. smiling smiley
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

November 18, 2013 01:25PM
Ah, heavy duty, makes more sense now...
Mechanic work sucks and makes for a rough life. The two ways to approach it is to either work your ass off young, save, save, save (which really means do not spend, spend spend...) and retire by 40 before you are broken OR save and learn and start your own shop by 25-30, which then means hobbies like racing are a business expense.
Wyoming pays pretty well for oil field type work. Not much different then Alberta, well, alot less people (entire state has less people than the city of Edmonton) and no sports teams (though do you guys still really count the Oilers?)

I've been to rallies from PNW to SW to midwest to east coast. I'd say PNW would have been my favorite, though the move east for Oregon Trail a few years ago and worse the further east move for day two , loss of Mt Hood and Doo Wops are negatives. Rebirth of Olympus rally might just make up for that though.

Grant Hughes
deaner
Dane Aura
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

November 18, 2013 01:47PM
Beh.... Unless you value work more than sleep, I'd stay out of the oilfield. Spent some years out in WY latching pipe on Rig 2 haha. Oil towns suck ass in general. You make a crap ton of money but the cost of living is insane. Up until last year(minus rough necking) I was spinning wrenches. Ended my career at a domestic hotrod shop after I was laid off for a month and applied/hired at the outfit I'm at now. Making bullets in a factory ha! I can honestly say the best move(professionally) I've probably made, was getting out of wrenching. Mechanics don't make jack shit down here(for the most part) and the ones that do, work or live in crap holes or work ALL the time.

I live in MN(north of mpls an hour or so.) and from my doorstep, are 5 rallies throughout the year within 8hrs. 4 which are under 6. I'd imagine the NE and NW would be a good bet as we'll for central location.

Just my ramblings......
starion887
starion887
Mod Moderator

November 18, 2013 09:18PM
Seriously in the midwest: Indianapolis or north up towards Ft Wayne or Chicago, or east over towards the OH line. One day towing to:
- LSPR
- SnoDrift
- Ojibwe
- 100 AW
- Rally WV
- SPTR
- Perryville
With a looong day's tow, you are up to various Ontario rallies, out to NY, down to Sandblast, and even up to Black River.

Wages fair. Cost of housing in non-metro midwest is about the cheapest in the USA. It's a LOT cheaper than in the PNW, CA, or the NE. Just be ready for flat and boring scenery.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 18, 2013 10:34PM
starion887
Seriously in the midwest: Indianapolis or north up towards Ft Wayne or Chicago, or east over towards the OH line. One day towing to:
- LSPR
- SnoDrift
- Ojibwe
- 100 AW
- Rally WV
- SPTR
- Perryville
With a looong day's tow, you are up to various Ontario rallies, out to NY, down to Sandblast, and even up to Black River.

Wages fair. Cost of housing in non-metro midwest is about the cheapest in the USA. It's a LOT cheaper than in the PNW, CA, or the NE. Just be ready for flat and boring scenery.

Highest thing for a thousand miles is overpasses.
And nothing between there and the North Pole to divert weather fronts from barrelling down...

So suicidally mind numbingly boring landscape---for a guy coming from the edge of the spectacular parts of the Rockies that mean be bad, then add inhumanly Arctic storms blow in constantly, except when it's 98F and 102% humidity, flooding routinely, and tornadoes to spice things up...

On the plus side there are a fair number of good solid and friendly people.

I think our boy might want to read "The 9 Nations of North America"

Here's a convenient link to Wikis review:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Nine_Nations_of_North_America

And a handy map:

Now our erstwhile adventurer is in a quite a divisive part of Canada, and it is fueled by and has the earmarkls of the same divisve forces that have split The Unexplored Southern Area.
Easy money which makes some people think they're smart, and goofy pick and choose the parts you like "religiosity"...in that bad mix of Religion, Nationalism and money so he might want to think about this map showing the rough distribution of Bible Thumping as a central part of the "life-style" ( notice, not part of life but of the "lifestyle"winking smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
BJosephD
Brian j Dyer
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
04 Rocky Mountain MTB...

November 19, 2013 06:24AM
New York, Plenty of work in New york, prevailing wages etc.
Empire series, STPR, NEFR, Quebec rallys. 100AW, RVW, Mt Washington Hill climb, vermont hill climbs and various track day events. to name a few.
Towona
Tony P
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

November 19, 2013 09:28PM
**After reading the first post**

Jeremy VanLivingston I presume?

Runamuck Rally
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

November 20, 2013 01:18AM
thats dr. jeremy van livingston

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 20, 2013 10:16AM
Snidewhips
thats dr. jeremy van livingston

You guys like that Unexplored Southern Area?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
deaner
Dane Aura
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

November 20, 2013 11:13AM
john vanlandingham

And a handy map:

Now our erstwhile adventurer is in a quite a divisive part of Canada, and it is fueled by and has the earmarkls of the same divisve forces that have split The Unexplored Southern Area.
Easy money which makes some people think they're smart, and goofy pick and choose the parts you like "religiosity"...in that bad mix of Religion, Nationalism and money so he might want to think about this map showing the rough distribution of Bible Thumping as a central part of the "life-style" ( notice, not part of life but of the "lifestyle"winking smiley

Hahaha hypocrite....
Snidewhips
Jeremy Livingston
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
1990 acura integra, 2010 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

November 20, 2013 11:45AM

couldn't find a good original, so sing along with me

All bridges burnt, island life is beauty
deaner
Dane Aura
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
PS4 controller

November 20, 2013 11:58AM
Snidewhips

couldn't find a good original, so sing along with me

Hahahaha
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 20, 2013 12:04PM
deaner
john vanlandingham

And a handy map:

Hahaha hypocrite....

Hypocrite?

Want to explain that?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login