Rumours, Lies & Damn Lies
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!

Posted by Anders Green 
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!
September 04, 2015 09:56AM
reecers
NoCoast
Bonus to being able to retain all thr interior with that cage!!!

huh? you mean retain your front seats and dash stuff?

Plastic trim, roof liner, door panels, etc.

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
reecers
Reece
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 04, 2015 02:00PM
well we shall see, i am emailing a sales rep. They give a custom sheet that you can give them all the dimensions you need. I wonder if that makes the price much different from what they have listed, but even then my biggest cost problem with roll cages is getting the bends in the pipe. The rest is just basic welding skills (i used to do handrail for a living)

If i could get them to save a copy of a kit that worked for rally america and nasa and it was 500-600 bucks that would save a lot of money for a lot of people?

I am not an alien

Koolaid on specialstage just an FYI
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

September 04, 2015 02:40PM
If you just want the bent bars for an Impreza, contact Doug Nagy at Streetwise. He can do the main hoop and half laterals. You just cut to fit and put in all the feet and straight bars. He has a couple different cars that he has patterns for. Grant can probably do the same thing.

On a separate note, having been asked to tech several cars with the Charles/Autopower nightmare kits, I am really leery of cage kits that are put together without a scrutineer checking them out. Preferably two.

Self-righteous douche canoe
reecers
Reece
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 05, 2015 07:03PM
hoche
If you just want the bent bars for an Impreza, contact Doug Nagy at Streetwise. He can do the main hoop and half laterals. You just cut to fit and put in all the feet and straight bars. He has a couple different cars that he has patterns for. Grant can probably do the same thing.

On a separate note, having been asked to tech several cars with the Charles/Autopower nightmare kits, I am really leery of cage kits that are put together without a scrutineer checking them out. Preferably two.

Well i talked to a rep at S&W and he said for that amount of steel it would be around 650+shipping and they have a custom order form you can fill out. So once you get that form filled out and try it on the first subie then it can just be copy pasta from there. So if you have a welder guy work on getting everything welded after you have prepped it then you might be looking closer to 1200-1500? I mean I have no idea how much a welder guy charges for his hours but if you can tack everything into place and let him do the actually welding I don't see what the fuss is about.

JVL you have any input?

I am not an alien

wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

September 05, 2015 08:19PM
reecers
Well i talked to a rep at S&W and he said for that amount of steel it would be around 650+shipping and they have a custom order form you can fill out. So once you get that form filled out and try it on the first subie then it can just be copy pasta from there. So if you have a welder guy work on getting everything welded after you have prepped it then you might be looking closer to 1200-1500? I mean I have no idea how much a welder guy charges for his hours but if you can tack everything into place and let him do the actually welding I don't see what the fuss is about.

JVL you have any input?

Well, you need to have it set so you can get to the back of the welds to be able to do them properly, so you have to drop the cage into the floor and then build and weld boxes or take off the roof, add gussets, etc., so not cut and dry and usually a lot more work than finishing up around the spot welds.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Littlelina
Lina Lipilina
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1971 BMW 2002

September 06, 2015 01:11AM
"welder guy" huh?
reecers
Reece
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 06, 2015 11:29AM
Littlelina
"welder guy" huh?

yes they are a dime a dozen in oklahoma. Hell i might even do it my self if i had the need for a 1000 dollar welding setup. I used to work at a few welding shops.

I am not an alien

EricW
Eric Wages
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 WRX

September 06, 2015 01:14PM
reecers
Littlelina
"welder guy" huh?

yes they are a dime a dozen in oklahoma. Hell i might even do it my self if i had the need for a 1000 dollar welding setup. I used to work at a few welding shops.

Andrew, show us that we're all wrong. Get your car caged, and show us a picture of your receipt(s) for the cagework to make it all legal next to the logbook and the signature of the scruitneer who granted it.

I'm not saying it's impossible. But I'd be more confident in winning the lottery than you being able to get this all done for less than 3.5k.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2015 01:16PM by EricW.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 06, 2015 11:53PM
Roll cage is definitely the best place to try to save money. Extortion that someone would even consider charging more than a grand.
I gave one friend a cage kit for FREE! But I knew he was competent enough to build, profile, and weld it on his own also.

Grant Hughes
Anders Green
Anders Green
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

September 07, 2015 09:59AM
Second person in the last forty posts to tell the people actually building cages how cheap it SHOULD be.

In my approximately seven years of rally competing, roll cage ended up being 5% of the total cost of competing. Infrastructure, travel, all that other stuff far outweigh it in the long run.

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
MattP
Matt Pullen
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Ford StRanger

September 07, 2015 12:10PM
Up here the average cage cost is $3500, that works out to about 2 national and 2 regional entry fees. That's what is putting people off building a car in the first place, the up front hit of a good base car $3-5000, the cage, all the safety stuff $2500. Low end $9000 just the bare minimum to get you to the start line. Then the suspension and tires add another big whack. Given the average of less than 3 events as mentioned before it adds up to more that 5% of the budget.

I did build the StRangers cage myself, the DOM was about $700. I borrowed a friends bender, notcher and his welding setup, I still owed him for the grinding/sanding discs and welding gas coffee beer etc so the cost came down to about $1000 all in. If there were more like Grant and others, willing and wanting to get more people having fun in this sport at a cost that is more resonable for the first timer then rally won't be saved, it will become more accessible, thus paving the way for a saviour...

Yes, it's a Ranger.
Xr4Ti, it is rwd and was made in Germany.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 07, 2015 01:47PM
I own an Impreza and a Bmw, both of which will be caged and sold as builders in the 3500-4k range. People love the program.

Grant Hughes
reecers
Reece
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 07, 2015 03:47PM
NoCoast
I own an Impreza and a Bmw, both of which will be caged and sold as builders in the 3500-4k range. People love the program.

+1

I am not an alien

Anders Green
Anders Green
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

September 07, 2015 09:53PM
Anders Green
In my approximately seven years of rally competing, roll cage ended up being 5% of the total cost of competing.

MattP
Up here the average cage cost is $3500 ... Given the average of less than 3 events as mentioned before it adds up to more that 5% of the budget.

1) Seven years does not equal less than three events.

2) I recommend expanding your fraternity to broaden your perspective.

There are a couple guys in this country saying "Man, it's crazy that rally cars cost $450,000 dollars. They should be cheaper."

Then, there's about 10 guys saying "Man, it's crazy that the winning rally car cost so much. They should be cheaper. There should be a cap, where the cars cost $250,000 max." (This is not a hypothetical. There was an actual meeting, at a recent "national" event, where racers actually got together and that number was proposed.)

There's 50 guys saying "Man, it's crazy that rally cars cost $150,000. I'm only going to spend $60,000."

There's 100 guys saying "Man, it's crazy that rally cars cost $60,000. I'm only going to spend $30,000."

There's 150 guys saying "Man, it's crazy that rally cars cost $30,000. I'm only going to spend $15,000."

There's 1000 guys saying "Man, it's crazy that rally cars cost $15,000. Why does all this stuff cost so much? It's all BS. Screw this, I'm not going rallying."

My point is you can pick any budget number you like as the "more than this is stupid" point and some number of people will agree with you. Once you get below, oh, somewhere in the 10,000 to 20,000 dollar range, many people who haven't rallied will agree with the number. I don't know how useful the opinion of legions of people who haven't rallied is when compared to those who have, at a variety of budget levels.

My opinion is that it's unreasonable to imagine that we have fully equipped, functional road going RACING CARS for a tiny fraction of the cost of a regular road going car.

As in, if I spent $9,000 on a used car, I'd expect a pretty nice, functional, working car, probably some small dings, probably needs tires but nothing else. And that's with a whole world working behind it on the economy of mass producing cars.

So the idea of a race car costing as much as a "regular car" seems pretty reasonable. (I'm talking about spending $15,000 to $25,000.) Because you're getting a whole car, plus racing stuff!

Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

September 08, 2015 10:32AM
Reecers link for a cage doesnt pass tech for RA. Price is fine but the cage wont be legal at half the rallies you may want to enter. RA rule book and FIA for that matter dont allow halo type cages. Budget At least 3k for cage and go have fun in th woods.

First rally 2013
Rally car type AWD subaru
Total rallies as driver 6
Total rally cars built 2
Total rally cars caged 3
Total rally cars repaired from offs 4
Total years racing exp other then rally 19 yrs
Like 31motorsports on FB!
Check out 31motor sales on ebay for used Subaru parts
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login