Rumours, Lies & Damn Lies
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!

Posted by Anders Green 
reecers
Reece
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

Re: Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!
September 08, 2015 03:29PM
Reamer
Reecers link for a cage doesnt pass tech for RA. Price is fine but the cage wont be legal at half the rallies you may want to enter. RA rule book and FIA for that matter dont allow halo type cages. Budget At least 3k for cage and go have fun in th woods.

yes that cage in the link won't pass tech. I emailed a sales rep at S&W asking how much money it would take to make his cage pass RA and NASA and he said it would be closer to 650$ plus shipping.

Look I understand that racing is expensive. I also understand that sometimes other forms of racing are actually more expensive.

I was just pointing out something I found and I talked to a sales rep. Anywho carry on smiling smiley

also you can email S&W with your exact measurements for things if you want to retain more room. It seems to me like a pretty good deal if someone gets one put together and then gives the information to other people with the same car.

So if you can get your cage done for half the price then you have more money to do another rally, to get you even more hooked.

I am not an alien

Koolaid on specialstage just an FYI

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2015 03:32PM by reecers.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
EricW
Eric Wages
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 WRX

September 08, 2015 03:32PM
reecers
Reamer
Reecers link for a cage doesnt pass tech for RA. Price is fine but the cage wont be legal at half the rallies you may want to enter. RA rule book and FIA for that matter dont allow halo type cages. Budget At least 3k for cage and go have fun in th woods.

yes that cage in the link won't pass tech. I emailed a sales rep at S&W asking how much money it would take to make his cage pass RA and NASA and he said it would be closer to 650$ plus shipping.

Look I understand that racing is expensive. I also understand that sometimes other forms of racing are actually more expensive.

I was just pointing out something I found and I talked to a sales rep. Anywho carry on smiling smiley

For $650 you can't afford to NOT cage your car, Andrew!
reecers
Reece
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 08, 2015 04:15PM
EricW
reecers
Reamer

remember eric that is just the steel. So if you clean out your car (grinding and cleaning of paint) and like i said get a fabricator/welder type to get it done. I bet you would be a lot cheaper than this 3500 dollar magic number you speak of.

I am not an alien

EricW
Eric Wages
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 WRX

September 08, 2015 04:39PM
reecers
EricW
reecers
Reamer

remember eric that is just the steel. So if you clean out your car (grinding and cleaning of paint) and like i said get a fabricator/welder type to get it done. I bet you would be a lot cheaper than this 3500 dollar magic number you speak of.

Oh, I totally know what *you're* saying. And what the rest of us, who arguably have been around this block more than once, are indicating something that's completely different. Many of us stripped the cars ourselves. I did it. I drove my stripped car to the builder 2 hours away with the odo bungee-corded to the dash bar. Race seat bolted in. That was it. And even then, it was $2500 5 years ago. And the guy said he wouldn't charge that cheap of a price the next time he did one because it was a huge pain, just as all of the others pointed out here.

So, if you think you can do it for the price you're saying, you should do it. It's a steal. Otherwise this is just a thought exercise and not worth of future discussion unless you have something verifiable.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

September 08, 2015 09:50PM
You know, I've been a scrutineer for both RA and NRS for many years, and have logbooked many many cars, and I can't ever remember anyone complaining about how much the cage cost, except when a cage has been done incorrectly and it's either a do-over or needs to go back to the fabricator for more work.

Most people see their cages as sort of a badge of honor and are proud of them.

Now, where a kit *might* help is in reducing the number of do-overs, but such a kit would have to be pretty car-specific as well as being rally-specific. What generally happens is that someone takes their car to a place that has done cages before, but for circle track or drag racing or desert racing or what have you, and the cage builder is intent on building to what they've done before and the poor car-owner doesn't know enough to stand up to that and say, "no, it has to be done this way".

What might be more helpful is a step-by-step guide for making a rally cage, leading people through the process with the end goal in achieving a fully FIA-compliant cage that can be used at any North American event. I did a quickie one several years ago to help out someone; it's out of date and has some things that I would now recommend doing slightly differently so I don't want to post it up to the world, but someone PM's me I would be happy to give out the URL (along with commentary).

Self-righteous douche canoe
reecers
Reece
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 09, 2015 03:40PM
hoche
You know, I've been a scrutineer for both RA and NRS for many years, and have logbooked many many cars, and I can't ever remember anyone complaining about how much the cage cost, except when a cage has been done incorrectly and it's either a do-over or needs to go back to the fabricator for more work.

Most people see their cages as sort of a badge of honor and are proud of them.

Now, where a kit *might* help is in reducing the number of do-overs, but such a kit would have to be pretty car-specific as well as being rally-specific. What generally happens is that someone takes their car to a place that has done cages before, but for circle track or drag racing or desert racing or what have you, and the cage builder is intent on building to what they've done before and the poor car-owner doesn't know enough to stand up to that and say, "no, it has to be done this way".

What might be more helpful is a step-by-step guide for making a rally cage, leading people through the process with the end goal in achieving a fully FIA-compliant cage that can be used at any North American event. I did a quickie one several years ago to help out someone; it's out of date and has some things that I would now recommend doing slightly differently so I don't want to post it up to the world, but someone PM's me I would be happy to give out the URL (along with commentary).

cool, so what did you hear them complain about?

I am not an alien

NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 09, 2015 10:44PM
I did a bendabar Subaru Impreza kit on dirty impreza. At least one cage built using it. Just have to gind a jd bender and tubing locally. Cage will fit a GD and probably not horrible in a legacy with maybe minor easy modification.

Grant Hughes
reecers
Reece
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1991 Ej20g'd Legacy

September 10, 2015 12:54PM
grant that is the kind of stuff you need to advertise on your webiste. Subaru cage kit with a price. I am sure you would at least get more website hits with something like that.

I am not an alien

hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

September 10, 2015 02:02PM
reecers
cool, so what did you hear them complain about?

If they contact me prior to the build, it's generally a gripe about why there're two rulesets in the US.

If they contact me after the build, it's about any do-over stuff, as mentioned.

Self-righteous douche canoe
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 10, 2015 03:48PM
reecers
grant that is the kind of stuff you need to advertise on your webiste. Subaru cage kit with a price. I am sure you would at least get more website hits with something like that.

Oh, don't get me wrong, it's not a cage kit. I won't build a cage kit for someone I don't know because I don't know your abilities or if you will end up calling me 15 times a day to ask more questions or just getting pissed off at your inabilities and spending the next two months posting as much hatred about our shop's shitty cage kit regardless of if it was due to your own mistakes. And by you, I don't mean you, it's a generalization.
The POTENTIAL headaches from a cage kit outweigh the potential benefits so we don't build one.
Think of the roll cage as being a good surrogate variable for your success in rallying. The people that successfully get an awesome roll cage in their car are typically the rallyists with success in rallying.
Here's the thread I mentioned.
http://www.dirally.com/forums/showthread.php?31102-Bendabar-GC-cage-building

Oh, I also provided the dxf files for cage feet too in that thread. And Tim Taylor's gusset templates. Nice.

Grant Hughes
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 17, 2015 01:55PM
New Chinese rally tire option will save rally! using engineers from Maxxis and probably somewhere else.

Now we just need to get Dunlop and Federal in and we can race to the bottom!!!

The US market is small and oversaturated with rally tires to some extent. BFG, Pirelli, Dmack, Maxxis, Black Rocket, IndySport, MaxSport and Silverstone tires are all in use, though BFG, MaxSport and Silverstone are not actively being imported for resale but imported by end users for most part. MaxSport likely will be imported in coming year. Hoosier is also developing a new rally tire working with Subaru Rally Team USA and another top privateer team.

Grant Hughes

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/2015 01:22PM by NoCoast.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

September 18, 2015 11:18AM
John, you must buy and build this car to Save Rally.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/5188629723.html

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
Clayto
Clayton McCrary
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
XRatty purchased. Now build it!!

September 18, 2015 11:28AM
Kewl sunroofgrinning smiley
danster
Haggis Muncher
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
VWs (for my sins)

September 26, 2015 05:29AM
It's an unusual tactic, but cancelling rallies will save rally...

http://www.coltnesscarclub.com/

Dissapointing times and I can't help but wonder if this is the result of the economic climate and implementation of rules requiring further expense for competitors coming home to roost.

Disappointingly not yet a Jackass
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 26, 2015 11:14AM
danster
It's an unusual tactic, but cancelling rallies will save rally...

http://www.coltnesscarclub.com/

Dissapointing times and I can't help but wonder if this is the result of the economic climate and implementation of rules requiring further expense for competitors coming home to roost.

Bummer.. especially the last bit:

Note: The previous round, and penultimate event, in the original eight round 2015 Scottish Rally Championship scheduled to run on the 5th of September was also cancelled. That means this year’s competition will be decided over the six rounds which have already taken place.

For mor details, visit: www.scottishrallychampionship.co.uk

"Scottish Car Clubs update"

Wot da fuq?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login