Posted by A1337STI 
Reamer
Jeff Reamer
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Subaru

Re: JVAB for RS 2.5
September 24, 2011 08:50PM
Where you have 17mm and 22.5 mm threads shouldnt that make the 33mm # 39.5mm? Just read this and was confused.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

September 24, 2011 10:24PM
Thanks John. That will work. Making some custom camber plates to fit some JVAB struts.
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

October 01, 2011 07:47PM
will groupe n strut tops work with jvab struts?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 02, 2011 12:13AM
tdrrally
will groupe n strut tops work with jvab struts?

Of course.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

October 02, 2011 06:08AM
that is what i thought, just making sure.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 02, 2011 10:44AM
tdrrally
that is what i thought, just making sure.

The strut tops come delivered as a 22mm x 110mm bar.
Anything within that limit is possible.

What I call "Ford GpA" is a big fat 20mm pin about yay long which gets spaced out to fit spherical bearings ID 7/8"...0.875", 22mm is .866

Subies mid 90s GpA top was 19mm ID

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

October 17, 2011 08:44PM
John, you racked up another one. Brianne won Open Light at the LSPR last weekend, but a "kick" in the instructions was actually a "jump" and the landing bent the bottom of one of the rear struts. So far it just looks like the ears, but we haven't been into it to find out for sure. I suspect that the springs are sagging based on our suspension measurements from before 100AW and after LSPR. And that a hard hit and bottoming out the spring, or the strut caused it to bend - imagine that!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 17, 2011 08:53PM
modernbeat
John, you racked up another one. Brianne won Open Light at the LSPR last weekend, but a "kick" in the instructions was actually a "jump" and the landing bent the bottom of one of the rear struts. So far it just looks like the ears, but we haven't been into it to find out for sure. I suspect that the springs are sagging based on our suspension measurements from before 100AW and after LSPR. And that a hard hit and bottoming out the spring, or the strut caused it to bend - imagine that!

Is there room for 16" free length springs in the back? No interference?

I got a sheet of Chrome-moly plate the Willaim TSSFab is gonna burn some fresh ears so that's one thing. The chance of coil bind should be eliminated...
The tube is probably straight.
Poor Alex R here bent the hell outta the ears and continued and bent the insert about 8mm but the tube itself runs straight and true in the lathe.

At least we have a bit of time.

And Congratulations to Brianne on another class win with JVAB Suspenders

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

October 17, 2011 08:59PM
Don't know all the specifics yet. I think it's just ears. We'll get with you on getting it fixed/replaced and working on preventing it again in the future.

BTW, every time Brianne drives the car, her favorite part is the suspension. She says it's "hooked up!".

We're running a 15x6.5 wheel with something like 39mm offset and a fairly skinny tire so there might be room for the longer spring behind the rim. I'll be at the shop next weekend and take a look. If not, I can buy Hypercoils at a ridiculously low cost and will be swapping to them and tossing them after a few events. That will be cheaper than buying replacement housings. We'll also be talking about going up with the spring rate a little.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2011 09:03PM by modernbeat.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 17, 2011 09:06PM
modernbeat
Don't know all the specifics yet. I think it's just ears. We'll get with you on getting it fixed/replaced and working on preventing it again in the future.

BTW, every time Brianne drives the car, her favorite part is the suspension. She says it's "hooked up!".

Odd as it seems it appears that I might just maybe possible know sumpin, maybe...
But man I want to nail down this ear thing. I want the gawddam stuff to be like Sean Medcrofts car:
Rally...wash
rally....wash
rally....wash
rally.....wash

Hey just fired up the motor in a all fresh way Sooper Bitchin V4 for a '68 Deluxe. Motor is virtually identical to Saab's 1969 RAC Rally winning spec.
The thing arrived with a nearly dead 1500 with maybe 40 bhp of wheezing powerz. This spec is typically 128bhp. Fresh box, new fuel lines and electric pump, new 99 sized rad and electric fan, all new bushes and new reinforced A arms etc, ...Niiiiiice.
It sounds significantly nastier than maybe 98% of the Group 2 cars I have seen and heard in the last 10 years. brouhaha!!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:

October 17, 2011 09:25PM
Forgot to mention that we had also installed camber plates with a huge 52xx bearing in the top. So the twisting of the suspension, spring, and top mount is not suspect. I really think you have it right that the geometry of the rear hub causes a huge twisting force on the ears when the rear bottoms out.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

October 17, 2011 11:06PM
128 hp in a 96? Now that's Sooper Bitchin'!!!!!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

October 18, 2011 12:13AM
fiasco
128 hp in a 96? Now that's Sooper Bitchin'!!!!!

1700 crank, +0,8mm for 1730cc. 42mm intakes, 36mm exhaust valve, 10.8 ish compression, Saab normal "7.6" rally cam for about 308 duration and 11.6mm lift, big oil pump. Flywheel - 3 lbs, ported 2bbl manifold with the 40x40 synchronous Weber DFI-5 (DFI-5 comes with 32mm venturis; Saab sold DFI-2 which had 28mm venturis--tho they suggested boring to 32mm)

Only difference from the 1969 spec RAC winning motor is they bored to 1mm and used forged pistons of course. They dynoed a very torquey 128 on independent dyno.

Well there is the fact this has a 25mm thick spacer between the carbie and the manifold which back in the early to mid 80s in what was called "Little GpA" (a class full of Starlets and V4s with extremely limited mods---compression and cam basically) it was found that spacing the carbie UP gave 3 hp at the wheels (points to obvious thru flow problems with the OEM manifold if ya get 3 bhp just by raising the carb up---air has a nicer path to flow) so the made these spacers out of some laminate hardwood and fiber and called it a "gasket"...

So maybe a smidge more than the 128 Saab had then.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

October 18, 2011 09:34AM
Were the ears "capped" top and bottom like the RSSP units? Gussets on the sides?

DMS doesn't use "caps" they just weld the ears on like John, and they bend, crack, etc also. Their "higher end" 5 way adjustable stuff "caps" the ears, and installs gussets just like RSSP.

I can also tell you that one suspension manufacture originally had a design with no "caps" and no side gussets.....a later revision of the suspension has the ears "capped", and added side gussets. They mention that this was for greater strength and durability.

When Prodrive used these same 50mm bilstien struts on Group A cars, a later revision of the ears has the ears "capped".

Ohlins "caps" their ears

Reiger "caps" their ears
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

October 18, 2011 02:10PM
Cap-pin Ears is all the rage these days? could be good.

Congrats to Brianne, Seems these JVABs are great for collecting class wins, even if they bend in the rear on occasion.

It seems to me that my Ksport setup has the same geometry in the rear as the JVAB coilovers ... guess i should try to really compare them side by side to see if there is any geometry differences. :| hmmf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login