Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

Re: Lets say I wanted to build a car...
February 16, 2012 08:27AM
What do you mean?! grinning smiley

Think its time I let it die?

Enablers, All of you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 08:28AM by BobOfTheFuture.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

February 16, 2012 09:52AM
A few of these mega-long threads should probably be "Part 2ed"...but IDK, that makes it tougher to find info in a search.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

February 16, 2012 10:48AM
I seem to just use this to babble lately.

Well, Time and some cash has come my way as of late, which means I've begun some more proper work on the Volvo. Think I should start a Pt. 2 with pics and such of ACTUAL CAR STUFF?!

Not that it will be all that impressive... Just changing in manual windows and crap.

Enablers, All of you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2012 10:49AM by BobOfTheFuture.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

February 16, 2012 02:10PM
I try to do one hour a day, and lately I have been able to keep up with that. Last night I cut out some rust in the sapre tire well and welded in a patch. It took 1 hour, but thats one more thing done. Sometimes you just have to force yourself to get on it. The hardest part for me is when it is almost done. I hate that phase......
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

February 16, 2012 08:48PM
Haha, that sounds like the best way to go about keeping both progress and interest up.

My issue is im at work or traveling 13 or 14 hrs a day, and my car is not at home and outside, so my work happens in weekend thrashes.
Its the worst when some free time rolls around and I'm drawing blanks on what to do next, and waste the day... anxiety goes up badly with that too.

To be able to walk into a garage, and just do some crap for an hour or two... that sounds like a lot of fun to me, honestly. It would be more like stress relief then anything!

Enablers, All of you.
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

February 20, 2012 09:48PM
So, Today I went out and started to remove the sound deadening material form the car. I used the dry ice method... I gotta say, didn't work as well as I'd hoped. I used about 10 lbs of the stuff and couldnt seem to get it cold enough to come off cleanly, except where the metal was thinner, like the raised area under the seats. I ended up using the claw side of a hammer a bunch to get it to come off in clumps... scratched the metal a bit in places, but im not too worried.

I ran out of Ice and daylight at about the same time and called it at day with half of the trans tunnel still covered, and the sheet in the trunk untouched. I figure this is best left for tommorrow.

Other Volvo guys: any of you have a better way or removing the stuff from the trans tunnel? I removed half of it, but bent the thin sheet metal there a bit. I think I am going to have to get some more ice and rig up something to hold it to the tunnel and get a good freeze goin'.

Also, What do you guys do with the left over adhesive spots? Just paint over it?

Enablers, All of you.
wildert
Brian Klausen
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

February 20, 2012 10:21PM
For the left over spots, I just use a rag with thinners. Shouldn't take too long.
Next time maybe try to break the dry ice into smaller bits for better contact. The dry ice I had when don't it, was in small pellets. It really "flowed" well around the contours of the sheet metal. Also, let it sit for 15 minutes or so after applying the ice to get a freeze going.

Brgrds
Brian

BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

February 21, 2012 12:14AM
For eels? I didnt think some thinner would attack that crap. Ill have to give it a try.

And 10-4 on the smaller bits. I get some more and finish up tommorrie.

Now... what next... uhhh.

Also, John, Parts arrived. That crossmember is sexy.

Enablers, All of you.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

February 21, 2012 10:19PM
I sit in there with the heat gun, get it pretty warm and the putty knife lifts it right off. Then laquer thinner and rags to finish it up
wildert
Brian Klausen
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

February 22, 2012 05:48AM
BobOfTheFuture
For eels? I didnt think some thinner would attack that crap. Ill have to give it a try.

Maybe VW and Volvo-stuff isn't the same, but it worked on my Golf smiling smiley.
Just removing the left over residue or "markings" if you well (the foreigner lacking knowledge of whether there is a better word here) I have done quite effectively with thinner.

Pics or it didn't happen:
The pellets I had available:

After 15 minutes or so this is what I had on the underside: (obviously it will depend on the humidity of the air, and Denmark generally is fairly humid... not SoCal - but I guess NY shouldn't be that different)

After chipping it all off I was left with this (the white area I had done at a previous time using heat gun and scraper - took me all evening to do that tiny area... got three times that + more done in one evening using dry ice)

Having been over it with a rag with thinner, steel brush on a grinder, after a bit of welding, etc.:

Brgrds
Brian

BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

February 22, 2012 09:48PM
I got the pellets for day #2. They worked pretty good, I was able to get more off, but still lots of that residue left. I weighed the crap I hammered off this (my) weekend, It came out to about 15 lbs.

I used the rest of the the day to pull out the wiring harnes from the dash to the rear of the car and start pairing it down. Unfortunately, I cut a few wires that I belived were junk for the stereo. So now I think I am going to have to repair some wires for the 2 tail lights, and something for the fuel pump... D'oh eye rolling smiley

Luckily, With how simplified everything is w/o interior and useless crap, the repair should be easy thumbs up

Pics or it didnt happen: to follow laterz actually I took one pic, boring one of the outside... nobodys wants to see that.

Not that too many are reading this anyhow....

Enablers, All of you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2012 09:54PM by BobOfTheFuture.
pist'n broke
kevin zidkovich
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 242

February 22, 2012 10:48PM
^^^im reading it...

appreciate all the updates man, keep 'em coming im gonna be following suit here shortly and i've already learned lots from your posts. its great that there are 2 active threads for volvo builds right now. can't wait for days off so i can start hacking and slashing....

what could go wrong?
BobOfTheFuture
Rob
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
None, anymore.

February 23, 2012 05:34AM
Really? Okay, Ill make sure to take more gooder pics of the car just for you, pist'n.

And, about the other threads, I know right? It sure is handy. Also good at making me feel slow and making me get out there grinning smiley

Good luck with yours mang, I look foward to seeing how it goes.

Enablers, All of you.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 23, 2012 09:48AM
BobOfTheFuture
Really? Okay, Ill make sure to take more gooder pics of the car just for you, pist'n.

And, about the other threads, I know right? It sure is handy. Also good at making me feel slow and making me get out there grinning smiley

Good luck with yours mang, I look foward to seeing how it goes.

Yeah Bob, every build story is good. Even here the ratios of guys contribuiting, for what ever reason bless there pointy little heads, versus the Lurkers is real high. We are, somehow, helping guys we may never hear from...
Keep it up.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
pist'n broke
kevin zidkovich
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 242

February 23, 2012 10:11PM
posting up build stories takes a bit of the mystery outta the process for the "i'd like to do that someday" guys. it also has given me some direction as to a sequence of events and an ability to prioritize the first few steps. when everything is laid out with pictures and solutions to problems, its a lot more enticing to get involved

what could go wrong?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login