Another RWD motor option, if you can make it fit. smiling smiley

Posted by mellow65 
mekilljoydammit
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
No rally car yet

Re: Another RWD motor option, if you can make it fit. smiling smiley
July 28, 2011 08:18AM
Well, it would be if you 'sumped it, and we have some circle track dry sump parts sitting around...
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

July 28, 2011 08:22AM
Doivi Clarkinen
Also, what are you going to be using the RX-7 for now? Unless they changes the rules when I wasn't looking putting a Subaru engine into a Mazda will make it not legal for any rally sanctioning body. One thing is for sure. Seeing an Rx-7 go by making Subaru noises will be... interesting!

Dave, NASA changed the rules last year to drop the motor must be derived from the manufacturer requirement. So at least at NASA rallies you can run whatever franken car you want to build. I haven't really read the rules but you should be able to run at RA event just might not be allowed to score points.
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

July 28, 2011 08:36AM
Not dissing Subarus. But those in this thread making statements about 200k miles or that the motor burns so much oil that I can't see it on the dip stick between oil changes, does not give me happy feeling about reliabilty. In my book motors that are not purposely designed to burn oil that are burning enough so it is no longer on the dip stick is not a healthy motor. It might still be turning over but that does not mean it running like it came off the line.

Matt, I own an RX-7 GSL-SE with 193,000 miles on the clock and it still runs fine. And burns so little oil that I never get a point where I have to add oil between changes.
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

July 28, 2011 09:38AM
Andrew_Frick
Doivi Clarkinen
Also, what are you going to be using the RX-7 for now? Unless they changes the rules when I wasn't looking putting a Subaru engine into a Mazda will make it not legal for any rally sanctioning body. One thing is for sure. Seeing an Rx-7 go by making Subaru noises will be... interesting!

Dave, NASA changed the rules last year to drop the motor must be derived from the manufacturer requirement. So at least at NASA rallies you can run whatever franken car you want to build. I haven't really read the rules but you should be able to run at RA event just might not be allowed to score points.

You are correct, NASA dropped the rule, and for RA, well Hurst said I wouldn't be able to collect points for the national championship.

Right like i could have done that anyways. smiling smiley

but i already asked the question, if no other issues were there, I would be allowed to run a RA event.

http://www.rally-america.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2750

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

July 28, 2011 11:01AM
Andrew_Frick
Not dissing Subarus. But those in this thread making statements about 200k miles or that the motor burns so much oil that I can't see it on the dip stick between oil changes, does not give me happy feeling about reliabilty. In my book motors that are not purposely designed to burn oil that are burning enough so it is no longer on the dip stick is not a healthy motor. It might still be turning over but that does not mean it running like it came off the line.

Sorry for the confusion. I've never had a Subaru burn oil. It's leaking from the oil pump. The 2.2 oil pump has an o-ring on the high pressure side that always squares off and creates pressure in the low side and pushes out the gasket. If I run the engine on 1-2 quarts of oil in the sump instead of the required 4 quarts it does not leak as much which means on my 20 mile 75 MPH commute to work in 100 degree weather I don't have as large of a smoke cloud when I come to a stop. Ironically I have the crank seal and oil pump o-ring sitting beside me to replace tonight since I'll be driving more in the coming weeks. Right now I drive to work on Monday, take train during week, drive home on Friday so it's not too big of a deal.
I don't know if I've bought a 2.2 powered car that didn't need that o-ring replaced and wasn't dripping from the oil pump. I've owned, well 5 or 6 now probably. Current one was the lowest price at $200 but never paid more than $1000 for an Impreza.
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

July 28, 2011 11:14AM
Don't all subarus come from factory with oil leaks? grinning smiley

I swear it's just an option.

"now sir would you like your Subaru to piss oil in your driveway or engulf you in smoke at a stop light." smiling smiley

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

July 28, 2011 11:28AM
mellow65
Don't all subarus come from factory with oil leaks? grinning smiley

I swear it's just an option.

"now sir would you like your Subaru to piss oil in your driveway or engulf you in smoke at a stop light." smiling smiley

Subaru should just make oil collectors at the valve cover gaskets and such and then spray the oil at the oil pan and rear wheel arches so they wouldn't rust as fast.

Oh, and Dave, it was a Cozzie diff to the toe, not a bash on the head...
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

July 28, 2011 11:56AM
Andrew_Frick
Not dissing Subarus. But those in this thread making statements about 200k miles or that the motor burns so much oil that I can't see it on the dip stick between oil changes, does not give me happy feeling about reliabilty.

I've only ever seen ONE person blow 'em up non turbo shenanigans related, and that was someone who figured the rev limiter made a good cruise control.

Matt, I own an RX-7 GSL-SE with 193,000 miles on the clock and it still runs fine. And burns so little oil that I never get a point where I have to add oil between changes.

I killed an engine in under 400 miles from dust. Current engine has tight side seal clearances and new oil control doodads (not the hard rings, but they're well in spec) and it doesn't smoke but it does add fuel to the oil to the point where after 1000 miles the oil is two quarts overfull and it heaves out of the (new) front seal when braking.

On the other hand, my SECOND RX-7 had its original engine still in it at 211k when I finally killed it from an overrev, and it had been overheated (boiling over) many times. Win some, lose some.

I've never seen anyone have the cooling system problems with a Subaru that I have with a Mazda.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2011 11:57AM by Pete.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

July 28, 2011 01:46PM
NoCoast
Sorry for the confusion. I've never had a Subaru burn oil.

Just loan it to me for a month... it will be eating oil.

My turboed car EATS oil really bad, (and is now also leaking it)
my last 1.8L had visible oil smoke out of the tail pipe (though actual consumption was low)

I totally agree the NA EJ motors are reliable, and peppy. I have no clue where they rank in the motor world.

My friends RX-7 is a lot of fun, motor feels more fun, but he always eats a lot of oil. (maybe there's an additive in tahoe that causes your motor to eat oil ?)
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

July 28, 2011 08:30PM
oil in rotaries is consumed if the engine is stock and working correctly. I modify mine to rid the factory metering oil pump and just premix my gas like a weedwater.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

July 29, 2011 01:23PM
My buddy has to pre-mix his gas now, but he also uses the oil normally.

he claims due to too high of ethanol in the gas eat his apex seals. sad smiley CA side of tahoe...
Pete
Pete Remner
Elite Moderator

July 29, 2011 08:40PM
Well, that's complete bullshit, since E10 has been standard here since at least the late 80's, and lots of guys run them on E85 and straight alcohol with no problems.

But hey, it makes a nice scapegoat, and you can't whine without a nice scapegoat.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 29, 2011 08:58PM
Pete
Well, that's complete bullshit, since E10 has been standard here since at least the late 80's, and lots of guys run them on E85 and straight alcohol with no problems.

But hey, it makes a nice scapegoat, and you can't whine without a nice scapegoat.

Would you like some whine with your scapegoat, sir?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
WhiteLX
Eric Moran
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1986 Merkur XR4Ti

August 11, 2011 05:32PM
Can he make a bellhousing to fit a RWD transmission to a Honda K-series engine? T5 would be a good choice because of ratios and weight, but I don't know how well a T5 shifts at 7500+ rpm.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 11, 2011 05:43PM
WhiteLX
Can he make a bellhousing to fit a RWD transmission to a Honda K-series engine? T5 would be a good choice because of ratios and weight, but I don't know how well a T5 shifts at 7500+ rpm.

Hi Eric, welcome abroad.
Another Xratty-perv is always welcome....

Hey! Peek in on the for Sale section under "Any rallycars fer sale in Michigan " or sumpin like that....
I suggested my buddy's clean red roller 85 that's sitting at Blugg's in Chicago, and they guy said he liked the ideeeer...

Well maybe with a little encouragement on (seriously) how simple 200 or so BHP is (just a big VAM and a puter from a Thunderchicken basically) is, maybe we can get him on the Righteous Path to Enlightenment...

You getting any kind of sideways pervy type thoughts???

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login