alkun
Albert Kun
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

Re: Swedish Endeavors: Project Rally Tractor
April 12, 2012 12:33AM
Right on,

word to the wise, careful with the liquid N. Frostbite really sucks.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

April 20, 2012 08:00PM
Bit of work done yesterday and I'm off for another round here in just a bit. First I'll share.

Sticking with the Dana30 for now but there are thoughts of other (wider) options in the future so we decided to try and get as much room out of the rear wheel wells as possible. For some reason, if you think of the curve of a normal well as concave, the outer part of these are convex. WTF?

So out they came...

You can see through the hole some reinforcement tacked and glued to the inside of the fender. This has also been pulled.

While I was chopping away in the rear Blake worked on getting the axle welded up...

Pan-hard mount still needs reinforcing and then its the shock tabs

Happy to be moving forward once again. Blake was still zapping away when I left so depending on how far he got we might get to cut the holes for the towers tonight. Feels good. If you might be the type to find this type of shit extraneous, well then you can kiss my grits. I also cut out all the seat belt anchors in the back, just to piss you off. tongue sticking out smiley

Zap zap my ass...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2012 08:03PM by slidewayswrx.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 20, 2012 08:12PM
Pat been dragging this week...I guess its normal but man its a drag. Haven't cleared up those other pieces.. I will but I guess I'm 'spossed to be taking it easy...just slept from 2PM -5.50PM and am cross-eyed..

Did crawl under yesterday and did a quick "fix" on wifey car muffler in about 1 minute.. It's horrible.....last week when just out of the OR she said what happened, I knew it would happen and i was saying "just shove it back it, wahhhh! grrrr1 cram IT IN, that's all it needs for now" and she didn't understand.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

April 20, 2012 08:16PM
Man that shit can wait. YOU GET BETTER!

We have plenty on or plate now with the turrets and the death ray. Plus OTR is going to take up all of our time here shortly.

Cup o tea is the heaviest thing you should be lifting.

Zap zap my ass...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 20, 2012 08:29PM
slidewayswrx
Man that shit can wait. YOU GET BETTER!

We have plenty on or plate now with the turrets and the death ray. Plus OTR is going to take up all of our time here shortly.

Cup o tea is the heaviest thing you should be lifting.

OK I'll have a cup now....its rough sitting though, really...like Ouch it pushes on the gash....

Reading a great book though
"We Meant Well....How I Helped Lose the Battle of Hearts and Minds of the Iraqi People" by Peter Van Buren, a lifetime State Dept Officer.

He's this war's Micheal Herr with a dash of Heller thrown in,

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
RallyTaco
Chris Lanctot
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
just a wannabe

April 20, 2012 09:31PM
slidewayswrx

Three is better than two.

Sorry if I am in full retard mode and don't see the forest for the trees but I'm not exactly getting what is going on here? Triangulated panhard rod? It seems 90 degrees weird for that. No comprendo mucho. I know I could just wait to find out but I'm going full on Asperger trying to figure this out. Can haz explain?

slidewayswrx

Morison
[jvl] Ohh noooohs! There's an h'off tawpik thread in the gent-urinal dick-cushion four-hum. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!![/jvl]
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

April 21, 2012 12:42AM
yea im curious too.

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
sidewaez
Blake Lind
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
orange AE86

April 21, 2012 03:37AM
It makes the bracket double shear(and adjustable), and even with the ten inches of suspension travel it's nowhere near maxing out the heim.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

April 21, 2012 08:57AM
john vanlandingham

Man I loved Dispatches.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
alkun
Albert Kun
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

April 21, 2012 10:43AM
sidewaez
It makes the bracket double shear(and adjustable), and even with the ten inches of suspension travel it's nowhere near maxing out the heim.

I've got ten inches in the rear, and I love it!

(wink, wink)
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 21, 2012 11:59AM
wvonkessler
john vanlandingham

Man I loved Dispatches.

Finished it and in the afterword the author says he was thinking of Dispatches the whole time and the chapters Inhaling and Exhaling are homages to Herr.

I don't know how old you are Wilson, but that war was for me ALWAYS in the background from when I was 3 till, well in my book, now in one way or another...

Herr did the voice over narrative to Apocalypse Now and I'd seen that movie when it came out, first time in Germany with a gang of young Germans, all of us Anti-war to the max, and at my suggestion we all drank whiskey "to see the world like officers do"; then in London after a little smokie hash.... A few weeks before, literally a couple of days after the paperback was available I'd bought and read it at a sitting......

I've known and worked with a LOT of combat veterans, known it well enough to really talk---to see the scars 'where it went in here'....and came out here', infantry or airborne.....REAL shooting then (not like now where every fat old redneck neocon "was a LURP" )(yeah right, lotta LURPS....no grunts)
Anyway that book distilled the"sense" of what these guys said same time as it put into words those a couple of steps away who watched the madness for years.

Look at this:

Review from goodreads.com
by Gene (GoodReads user published 2008-01-06 ) Excellent
7 of 7 people found this review helpful
Having been in VietNam and having been in some of the Marine Units that Michael Herr writes about in "Dispatches" is the best depiction of war in general and VietNam in particular that I have ever read. It started me on the path to healing that I had kept hidden since I came back from Nam. Thank You Michael. <a href="http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/11779980">more...</a>;

Suggested reading list for anybody who wants to read about America's groping toward Empire:

The Quiet American, Graham Greene 1955/56
The Ugly American, Lederer and Burdick 1958
Dispatches, Micheal Herr. 1977
We Meant Well, Van Buren, 2011

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
slidewayswrx
Patrick Darrow
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Swedish John Deere

April 21, 2012 12:32PM
Ah, thanks John.

Now back on topic...

Last night we worked on the car late into the night but it was a Friday so much bullshitting was had.

We rolled the car on its roof and I duplicated the hacking of wheel wells and pulling the structure on the passenger side. While Blake went zappy zap zap in the background.

The gussets on the front of the four link tabs got fully weld in and the pan-hard mount is now complete.

Alex and Chris, here is some reference. Check out pics 546, 551, and 600-611
http://www.mat.fi/n_index.php?nav=gallery_view&gallery=projecttoyotacelicaturbotc35&g=13

Zap zap my ass...
RallyTaco
Chris Lanctot
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
just a wannabe

April 21, 2012 01:52PM
slidewayswrx
Alex and Chris, here is some reference. Check out pics 546, 551, and 600-611

Ahh. Thanks.

eye popping smiley

Morison
[jvl] Ohh noooohs! There's an h'off tawpik thread in the gent-urinal dick-cushion four-hum. THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!![/jvl]
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

April 21, 2012 08:51PM
john vanlandingham
Suggested reading list for anybody who wants to read about America's groping toward Empire:

The Quiet American, Graham Greene 1955/56
The Ugly American, Lederer and Burdick 1958
Dispatches, Micheal Herr. 1977
We Meant Well, Van Buren, 2011

Favorite passage from Dispatches:

"One day in 1963 Henry Cabot Lodge was walking around the Saigon Zoo with some reporters, and a tiger pissed on him through the bars of its cage. Lodge made a joke, something like, 'He who wears the pee of the tiger is assured of success in the coming year.' Maybe nothing’s so unfunny as an omen read wrong.

And this one (which was taken verbatim and put in Apocalypse Now):

"We heard then what sounded at first like a little girl crying, a subdued, delicate wailing, and as we listened it became louder and more intense, taking on pain as it grew until it was a full, piercing shriek. The three of us turned to each other, we could almost feel each other shivering. It was terrible, absorbing every other sound coming from the darkness. Whoever it was, he was past caring about anything except the thing he was screaming about. There was a dull pop in the air above us, and an illumination round fell drowsily over the wire.

"'Slope,' Mayhew said. 'See him there, see there, on the wire there?'

"I couldn't see anything out there, there was no movement, and the screaming had stopped. As the flare dimmed, the sobbing started up and built quickly until it was a scream again.

"A Marine brushed past us. He had a moustache and a piece of camouflaged parachute silk fastened bandana-style around his throat, and on his hip he wore a holster which held an M-79 grenade-launcher. For a second I thought I'd hallucinated him. I hadn't heard him approaching, and I tried now to see where he might have come from, but I couldn't. The M-79 had been cut down and fitted with a special stock. It was obviously a well-loved object; you could see the kind of work that had gone into it by the amount of light caught from the flares that glistened on the stock. The Marine looked serious, dead-eyed serious, and his right hand hung above the holster, waiting. The screaming had stopped again.

"'Wait,' he said. 'I'll fix that fucker.'

"His hand was resting now on the handle of the weapon. The sobbing began again, and the screaming; we had the pattern now, the North Vietnamese was screaming the same thing over and over, and we didn't need a translator to tell us what it was.

"'Put that fucker away,' the Marine said, as though to himself. He drew the weapon, opened the breach and dropped in a round that looked like a great swollen bullet, listening very carefully all the while to the shrieking. He placed the M-79 over his left forearm and aimed for a second before firing. There was an enormous flash on the wire 200 metres away, a spray of orange sparks, and then everything was still except for the roll of some bombs exploding kilometres away and the sound of the M-79 being opened, closed again and returned to the holster. Nothing changed on the Marine's face, nothing, and he moved back into the darkness.

"'Get some,' Mayhew said quietly. 'Man, did you see that?'

"And I said, Yes (lying), it was something, really something.

"The lieutenant said he hoped that I was getting some real good stories here. He told me to take her easy and disappeared. Mayhew looked out at the wire again, but the silence of the ground in front of us was really talking to him now. His fingers were limp, touching his face, and he looked like a kid at a scary movie. I poked his arm and we went back to the bunker for some more of that sleep."

Add to your list:

Bernard Fall: Hell in a Very Small Place
Neil Sheehan: A Bright and Shining Lie
The Pentagon Papers

and if you have not had enough, and a little lighter:

Philip Caputo: A Rumor of War
Tim O'Brien: Going After Cacciato

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2012 10:11PM by wvonkessler.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 22, 2012 01:18PM
You know who's in command here?

"yeah"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login