Posted by Mitsudriver274 
Mitsudriver274
Michael Rodzinski
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2006 Evo IX SPGT

Back at it again... Evo IX SPGT Build
May 29, 2012 09:07PM
I've been given the opportunity to get behind the wheel again and I'm very excited, psg films will be working with us to develop this team and get the name out.

Just Heard about this forum today and saw some familiar names. I'm posting this thread to hopefully get as much input as possible to get this car setup right.

I have an ever growing list of questions but here are a few:

As far as transmissions go, is there an advantage with running the MR 6 speed? I have read that they are weaker than the 5 spd, but the closer ratio's may give the car a broader envelope as far as technical vs fast flowing stages.

ALS- Exhaust is unrestricted as long as the stock manifold is used. Likewise, ecu is unrestricted. This obviously means I can program in ALS but can I run the air injection into the manifold (as long as the stock manifold is used?)

Struts- I've been looking for some affordable suspension and have heard good things about hotbits, but that's regarding street cars. Does anyone have experience with their gravel suspension?

- We currently have the car stripped, most of the seam sealer removed. Its going off to dave clark to get stitch welded and caged.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/img5409jq.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/img5411c.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/img5418q.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/img5421l.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/img5430f.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/img5432zl.jpg/

Sowa Motorsports
#274 M.Rodzinski
Attending: WWU ~ Vehicle Design
WWU Formula Sae: Powertrain

Previous:
1990 Galant Vr4 (Open) <= Sold
2003 Evo VIII (Open)<= Sold to Joseph Burke

Current:
2006 Evo IX (SP)
Please Login or Register to post a reply
alkun
Albert Kun
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

Re: Back at it again... Evo IX SPGT Build
May 30, 2012 10:17AM
Sweeeeee-eeeee-eeet!

I know nothing about mistus, but I'd go for the stronger trans over closer ratios. That way you have to shift less.

for damper, Jon-Claude Vandamlandingham is the man !
Gravel Spray
-------------------------------------------------
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
-------------------------

May 30, 2012 10:28AM
Mitsudriver274
I've been given the opportunity to get behind the wheel again and I'm very excited, psg films will be working with us to develop this team and get the name out.

Just Heard about this forum today and saw some familiar names. I'm posting this thread to hopefully get as much input as possible to get this car setup right.

I have an ever growing list of questions but here are a few:

As far as transmissions go, is there an advantage with running the MR 6 speed? I have read that they are weaker than the 5 spd, but the closer ratio's may give the car a broader envelope as far as technical vs fast flowing stages.

ALS- Exhaust is unrestricted as long as the stock manifold is used. Likewise, ecu is unrestricted. This obviously means I can program in ALS but can I run the air injection into the manifold (as long as the stock manifold is used?)

Struts- I've been looking for some affordable suspension and have heard good things about hotbits, but that's regarding street cars. Does anyone have experience with their gravel suspension?

- We currently have the car stripped, most of the seam sealer removed. Its going off to dave clark to get stitch welded and caged.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/692/img5409jq.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/img5411c.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/834/img5418q.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/208/img5421l.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/109/img5430f.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/835/img5432zl.jpg/

I've built and ran a few evo rally cars.

Hotbits = shit, they'll fold. DMS will make the car porpoise. I've run just about everything on an Evo, RSSP or Proflex are the two "budget" options that work and work well.

Use the 5 speed, simple and bullet proof.

Air injection? no need for rocket science type wrc stuff. Just the stock manifold and turbo. Autronic, Vi-pec, or Motec all make plug and play ECU's and all three have good ALS strategy.

What are you going to do about the ACD??

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 10:31AM by Gravel Spray.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

May 30, 2012 11:10AM
Gravel Spray
I've built and ran some of the most competitive evo rally cars in the US.

Fixed that for you.

Grant Hughes
Nubby
Tony Wells
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

May 30, 2012 12:32PM
The 5M/T in the Evo has a pretty tall 5th but you can help that out a bit with a JDM 5th gear that's about 8% shorter. You can see gear ratios here and this place sells the JDM 5th:

http://teamrip.com/TRE%20EVOLUTION%20STAGE%201%20TSB%20REBUILD%20SERVICE.html

Besides the overly tall 5th, I think the ratios in the IX 5-speed are fine. No weird gaps or anything.
Gravel Spray
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

May 30, 2012 12:51PM
In SP you have to use the stock ratios for whatever make/year/model you choose to build. If you use the 6sp you have to use the entire MR package.

With a good tune on the motor there should be no worrys about ratios as the things make huge and flat Tq right off of idle.
Nubby
Tony Wells
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

May 30, 2012 01:09PM
Ahh.. I saw "SPGT" and thought that was some NASA class or something. Nix my JDM 5th idea!
Mitsudriver274
Michael Rodzinski
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2006 Evo IX SPGT

May 30, 2012 04:11PM
Gravel Spray

Hotbits = shit, they'll fold. DMS will make the car porpoise. I've run just about everything on an Evo, RSSP or Proflex are the two "budget" options that work and work well.

Air injection? no need for rocket science type wrc stuff. Just the stock manifold and turbo. Autronic, Vi-pec, or Motec all make plug and play ECU's and all three have good ALS strategy.

Mr Van Bogart, good to see you on this forum. How is cascade auto sport doing?

We had DMS on our last car, I never got the chance to drive it but hearing about the customer service makes me want to stay away from them. I will look into RSSP and Proflex.

As far as ECU goes I will probably just run the stock ecu as it is very powerful.

This has been a good resource of information on the stock ecu if anyone is interested:Merlins ECU Flash

Now that you bring up different ALS strategies could you explain them to me? Besides air injection I thought they all just jack the IAC open, retard timing -15 to -20 and add some fuel. Depending on what als strategy the stock ecu uses the autronic unit may be my next choice.

For ACD, we will most likely be using a reflashed stock acd unit, as the motec unit runs a bit out of my price range. Unless there are other options I am unaware of.

Pete, those group N brakes we bought off you a few years ago, are they the same as 2g dsm rotors calipers?

Sowa Motorsports
#274 M.Rodzinski

Previous:

Current:
2006 Evo IX (SP)
HiTempguy
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

May 30, 2012 04:16PM
Mitsudriver274

We had DMS on our last car, I never got the chance to drive it but hearing about the customer service makes me want to stay away from them. I will look into RSSP and Proflex.

All you have to do is send your stuff to FEAL Suspension for DMS... much much cheaper and they actually care about you (oh, and very well priced). Win-win-win.

Would depend on how much a set of DMS are for your Evo IMO.
Nubby
Tony Wells
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
SP Evo IX #112

May 30, 2012 04:19PM
I have some ACD maps I got off a guy who rallies an Evo in Ireland. From what I understand they're the Ralliart K2 maps which he didn't like very much and had some ACD guru rework them. He never tried them, ended up going Motec and I haven't tried them yet either since I'll need to build a rig to bench reflash the ACD.

So after that stunning endorsement, they're yours for the asking. If you want them just PM me your email address and I'll send them along, it's just two smallish files, an xml and bin.
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

May 30, 2012 04:22PM
its always nice to have diversity in the Open Class!

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
Mitsudriver274
Michael Rodzinski
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2006 Evo IX SPGT

May 30, 2012 04:38PM
HiTempguy
Mitsudriver274

All you have to do is send your stuff to FEAL Suspension for DMS... much much cheaper and they actually care about you (oh, and very well priced). Win-win-win.

Would depend on how much a set of DMS are for your Evo IMO.

I did not know that FEAL dealt with DMS, I have been talking with them about getting there coilovers on my drift project. I'll contact them about rebuild prices.

Sowa Motorsports
#274 M.Rodzinski

Previous:

Current:
2006 Evo IX (SP)
Gravel Spray
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:

May 30, 2012 08:18PM
Mitsudriver274
Gravel Spray

Mr Van Bogart, good to see you on this forum. How is cascade auto sport doing?

As far as ECU goes I will probably just run the stock ecu as it is very powerful.

This has been a good resource of information on the stock ecu if anyone is interested:Merlins ECU Flash

Now that you bring up different ALS strategies could you explain them to me? Besides air injection I thought they all just jack the IAC open, retard timing -15 to -20 and add some fuel. Depending on what als strategy the stock ecu uses the autronic unit may be my next choice.

For ACD, we will most likely be using a reflashed stock acd unit, as the motec unit runs a bit out of my price range. Unless there are other options I am unaware of.

Pete, those group N brakes we bought off you a few years ago, are they the same as 2g dsm rotors calipers?

RSSP has a clubmen spec set that would be a good bet, perhaps even cheaper, John's stuff, may be a good place to start. My only concern with the bilstein insert tubes on the front of an evo (shits heavy) is that you'll bend the insert tubes. I used some selholm suspension that was excellent as far as valving, but they based the front 50mm on a bilstein tube, and we bent quite a few during straight up stages.

I would stay away from reflashes, you'll maybe get a few % more, but at the risk of poor drivability or worse yet an engine failure, there is only so much you can do with a stock ecu and most of it is bullshit. The stock ECU has no table or provisions for ALS, you'll need to spring for a real motorsport ECU for that. If you can't afford a motorsport ECU than likely race gas etc is out of the question so be smart and go stock, plenty of yank there. If you insist on a flash, Franz Diebold is the only guy to consider.

ACD, if you can get a reflash of a Ralliart K2 or the real thing its the shit. Consider that Ralliart has some of the best rally engineers in the world, and assisting them in the software calibration some of the best drivers(evo Gp N) in the world, their product is directed at you, the brand and your success, why bother with wankers telling you otherwise? Once you get in 100 events in an evo...then perhaps get a gems or motec and start fucking with the maps and be sure to stack up some acd pumps you'll need them if your going to be working the system hard.

Brakes.. if you are going to use the steel slider type brakes, I believe (long time ago) they are gen 2 DSM calipers and rotors, but the slider is off of a Mitsu Montero. Of you can search around and find a nice APracing kit made by... ???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2012 08:33PM by Gravel Spray.
Mitsudriver274
Michael Rodzinski
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2006 Evo IX SPGT

May 30, 2012 10:58PM
After talking to Joseph Burke i'm set on the 5spd, we have started to look for spare ACD pumps as well.

Anyone know a distributor for the proflex or RSSP coilovers, I would like to get some pricing on them.

I noticed there was a provision in the rally america rule book for moving the acd pump in the evo, where are people moving them to?

Sowa Motorsports
#274 M.Rodzinski

Previous:

Current:
2006 Evo IX (SP)
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

May 31, 2012 12:10AM
Mitsudriver274
After talking to Joseph Burke i'm set on the 5spd, we have started to look for spare ACD pumps as well.

Anyone know a distributor for the proflex or RSSP coilovers, I would like to get some pricing on them.

I noticed there was a provision in the rally america rule book for moving the acd pump in the evo, where are people moving them to?

Rallispec for RSSP back seat for pump...

Grant Hughes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login