Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Rabbit 16V

Re: Roll Cage inspection
August 01, 2013 12:28PM
john vanlandingham
irishfire
Hello everyone!

Update: Carl Somerton, our local scrutineer came out to my house last night and inspected the cage. Needs two gussets at the X-Crossing in the rear with the seat belt bar and to remove the bent pieces by the A-pillar and replace with straight ones.. Thats it. So I will be fixing it, hopefully this weekend and boom cage done.

I"ll keep posting build pictures till it's done. Thanks for the tips and help.

What cage? The one in the photos on page 1?

Shirley, you cannot be serious---if that is the case.

Yes that cage. The welds were fine and everything else seemed fine. The only problem he had was that there was no gusset at the X and the second bar near the a-pillar was bent and not welded where it should be. Other than that he just made suggestions. I'll be welding into the front suspension mount, and tying into the a-pillar where the factory hardware is sitting.

I'll post some more pictures of the car, but that's all I can do. If he says its ok and he would pass it then I can't do anything to try and force the guys to fix it. Unless another scrutineer wants to come to Idaho to look at it then they are more than welcome. But chances are I will only be able to do the Idaho rally next year and maybe the "no name".
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 01, 2013 01:17PM
irishfire
john vanlandingham
irishfire
Hello everyone!

Update: Carl Somerton, our local scrutineer came out to my house last night and inspected the cage. Needs two gussets at the X-Crossing in the rear with the seat belt bar and to remove the bent pieces by the A-pillar and replace with straight ones.. Thats it. So I will be fixing it, hopefully this weekend and boom cage done.

I"ll keep posting build pictures till it's done. Thanks for the tips and help.

What cage? The one in the photos on page 1?

Shirley, you cannot be serious---if that is the case.

Yes that cage. The welds were fine and everything else seemed fine. The only problem he had was that there was no gusset at the X and the second bar near the a-pillar was bent and not welded where it should be. Other than that he just made suggestions. I'll be welding into the front suspension mount, and tying into the a-pillar where the factory hardware is sitting.

I'll post some more pictures of the car, but that's all I can do. If he says its ok and he would pass it then I can't do anything to try and force the guys to fix it. Unless another scrutineer wants to come to Idaho to look at it then they are more than welcome. But chances are I will only be able to do the Idaho rally next year and maybe the "no name".

At least get the tubes off the main hoop that go to the gawddam thin ass trunk floor moved to the little shock towers---and the shock towers stitched in so they actually contribute some something to the strength of the cage...
It ISN'T just about meeting the rules...that's thinking backwards, its about potentially saving your or your co-driver's lives.
Shorter tubes to a dome shaped body element is better than long tubes terminating in paper thin trunk floor...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
irishfire
Alex Dahlman
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Rabbit 16V

August 01, 2013 01:22PM
Noted: There are changes I want done. But the biggest concern were if the majority of this even passed rules, for court reasons. I can't have them change the cage because of preference.

Yes we will tie into rear struts and front struts and fix a-arm bend with straight arm and different welding spot.

Any other suggestions?
mke723
Mike Lindenfelser
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1995 Impreza L

August 01, 2013 03:59PM
RA, not sure about NASA, frollows FIA, and according to FIA Appendix J Article 253: Longitudinally, the safety cage must be entirely contained between the mounting points of the front and rear suspension elements carrying the vertical loads.

not sure if that specifically means it needs to be mounted to the shock towers, BUT i have not seen any well known companies NOT put them there, as well as FIA homologated cages terminate ON the rear strut towers.

your are clearly in violation of that rule. so seems as tho you have some legal cause.

I be sorry as a muthafucka I did, still sorry I did n' hustled ta peep what tha fuck I holla'd a lil' bit better, or at least try to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2013 04:02PM by mke723.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 01, 2013 04:24PM
mke723
RA, not sure about NASA, frollows FIA, and according to FIA Appendix J Article 253: Longitudinally, the safety cage must be entirely contained between the mounting points of the front and rear suspension elements carrying the vertical loads.

Then there is the whole "The backstays must be attached near the roofline and near the top
outer bends of the main rollbar, on both sides of the car, possibly by means of removable connections.
They must form an angle of at least 30° with the vertical, must run rearwards and be straight and as close as possible to the interior side panels of the bodyshell."

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

August 01, 2013 04:36PM
While we're bitching, get the gawddam door bar somewhere where a simple sideways bang into a bank doest result in the bar breaking or cracking your rubs and puncturing a lung.
Lower down so maybe they hit the seat when you whack a tree...seat is stronger than ribs--besides you need to be able to get in and out of the car easily

Fortunately, the mods won't cost any more material since where the tubes need to be will result in shorter tubes so just a little Sawz-all time followed by some angle grinder with a sanding disc--30 to 60 grit and things will be much better. And maybe there will be someplace for a spare.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
irishfire
Alex Dahlman
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Rabbit 16V

August 01, 2013 04:43PM
This was built via NASA rules and inspected by a NASA scrutineer. That was the main concern. It was my fault for not giving them a RA/FIA book.

We are going to fix the door boors, front and rear strut mounting, gussets for the rear X, and A-pillar bar. Any other suggestions?
mke723
Mike Lindenfelser
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1995 Impreza L

August 01, 2013 06:10PM
other than bring to over to colorado and let Grant fix it once, right....? i understand building to nasa specs, but as far as i can see, from the pictures on page 1, the rear stays are not correct, also, your going to need a harness bar for your shoulder straps

I be sorry as a muthafucka I did, still sorry I did n' hustled ta peep what tha fuck I holla'd a lil' bit better, or at least try to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2013 06:12PM by mke723.
heymagic
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

August 01, 2013 08:29PM
PM sent to Alex.
fiasco
Andrew Steere
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
too rich for my blood, share a LeMons car

August 01, 2013 09:03PM
mke723
other than bring to over to colorado and let Grant fix it once, right....? i understand building to nasa specs, but as far as i can see, from the pictures on page 1, the rear stays are not correct, also, your going to need a harness bar for your shoulder straps

plus Juan.

Those rear stays would flunk a LeMons tech. Get them back to the shock towers, or at least the floor at the center of the rear wheels.

Andrew Steere
Lyndeborough, NH
KB1PJY
irishfire
Alex Dahlman
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
83 Rabbit 16V

August 01, 2013 09:10PM
Ok update,

Upon further talking and outside consulting this cage is a redo. I'll let you guys know how court goes again. Thanks for the input and suggestions.
alkun
Albert Kun
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

August 01, 2013 11:09PM
Chin up there buddy, it hurts now, but you will be glad. Rally is a long term love affair an you want something you will be proud of.

It shouldn't take but 2-3 hours and a few fresh sawsall blades to clean that out. You will be much happier when its done right.

Try to get the knucklehaeds to cough up the dough, keep a cool head, stick to the idea that you can't get it approved, they fucked up getting in over their heads, you are not a happy customer, maybe split it with them and get half, and I hate to say it but in the worst case if you get nothing back, it won't be the last pile of $ that goes flying out the window if you stick with rally...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login