Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

Re: VW MK2 GTI suspension upgrade/questions
April 09, 2013 10:25AM
Josh Wimpey
Kristof
john vanlandingham
Do you want to rally or screw around for years in the garage?

QuantumRallySport is doing the same thing I wanted to do, put a diesel in an mk2 and rally:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=271193

That is me. We decided to do this for fun. Not sure how it will turn out but it has been a fun project. Started out just building a spare caged shell and turned into a TDI build when I picked up a rolled mk4 TDI for $500.

Worst case scenario, it is a fun street car or tarmac rally car that gets 60mpg on transits

Fun street car with 300 ft-lbs plus of torque.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Please Login or Register to post a reply
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

April 09, 2013 10:49AM
Steve Bis at Salta Motorsports just finished swapping a newer VW TDI engine into a 91 4Runner. Controlling the VNT was a little tricky but cool. Will make for some fun camping trip this summer as the 500+ mile per tank range will let us get really deep into the backcountry.

Grant Hughes
Kristof
Kristof Kiraly
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1986 VW GTI

April 09, 2013 11:27AM
Josh Wimpey
Kristof
john vanlandingham
Do you want to rally or screw around for years in the garage?

QuantumRallySport is doing the same thing I wanted to do, put a diesel in an mk2 and rally:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=271193

That is me. We decided to do this for fun. Not sure how it will turn out but it has been a fun project. Started out just building a spare caged shell and turned into a TDI build when I picked up a rolled mk4 TDI for $500.

Worst case scenario, it is a fun street car or tarmac rally car that gets 60mpg on transits

Oh my... How can I find a deal of a lifetime like that in Southern California?
$500 for a whole tdi swap! So jealous.
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

April 09, 2013 05:30PM
The TDI cant be all that bad for rallying due to its powerband since its going to feel just like a restrictor car. Plus Michael seems to do just fine.

wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

April 09, 2013 09:55PM
john vanlandingham
Genoss Herr Advokat von Kessler is right that there are off the shelf stuf that can be bolted on.

And can work fine until you reach the pointy end. And be very cost effective. After all, it's your 40mm stuff, just without a fancy and (maybe) stronger outside casing/strut ears/coil over crap.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 09, 2013 10:55PM
wvonkessler
john vanlandingham
Genoss Herr Advokat von Kessler is right that there are off the shelf stuf that can be bolted on.

And can work fine until you reach the pointy end. And be very cost effective. After all, it's your 40mm stuff, just without a fancy and (maybe) stronger outside casing/strut ears/coil over crap.

Shorter travel, different valving, much much weaker design

The worst is the shorter travel, Wilson.. I said i've re-done I don't know how many guys VW stuff to incrtease travel and get a stronger tube, and every one said they were thrilled the difference...

Delay gratification 0,6 events and the difference is paid for..

Tom Buress particularly said he loved the difference as he would use up all travel just braking...much nicer to have some travel left.

So yes, off the shelf may work--for a while---but seems everybody eventually upgrades to better..after they've bent the short stuff a few times.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

April 10, 2013 12:38PM
John, serious question regarding the TDI idea and traction problems due to torque...

What is the difference between running a 160hp 160tq gasser with a low final drive (to multiply the torque as you so often remind everyone) and running a 160hp 260tq TDI with higher gearing?

Doesn't this solve at least one of the problems with the expense of a fancy final drive for modern FWD gearboxes? If you can just use the stock gearing because it is good enough considering the torque and it's delivery throughout the powerband?

From my calculations, it looks like a good gearbox for 2nd-5th compared to a 16v 'close ratio' box with a 4.47 Final Drive... 1st gear is useless in both of course aside from pulling on the trailer.

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Mod Moderator

April 10, 2013 01:28PM
You will have the torque, but what do the power and torque curves look like? Max RPM?
Overlaying power/torque graphs, along with shift points (in speed and RPM) is a really good way to compare the data.
I'll see what I can find to explain this a bit better....
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

April 10, 2013 01:58PM
Let's say the specs are as follows:

16v gasser has more than 125 tq from 3500 to redline at 7300rpm with a peak of 160 tq at 6000rpm

TDI has more than 200 tq from 1800 to redline at 5200rpm with a peak of 260 tq at 2600rpm

Both are relatively flat tq curves as you can see.

One. Class -- 2WD

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

April 10, 2013 02:13PM
OK, I added top speed in each gear at redline. Still looks pretty good considering both engines have relatively flat torque curves across the usable RPM range.

One. Class -- 2WD

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 10, 2013 02:19PM
Josh Wimpey
John, serious question regarding the TDI idea and traction problems due to torque...

What is the difference between running a 160hp 160tq gasser with a low final drive (to multiply the torque as you so often remind everyone) and running a 160hp 260tq TDI with higher gearing?

Doesn't this solve at least one of the problems with the expense of a fancy final drive for modern FWD gearboxes? If you can just use the stock gearing because it is good enough considering the torque and it's delivery throughout the powerband?

From my calculations, it looks like a good gearbox for 2nd-5th compared to a 16v 'close ratio' box with a 4.47 Final Drive... 1st gear is useless in both of course aside from pulling on the trailer.

Josh not sure I'm following , read this 3 times and the only thing that jumps out is the bit bolded bit.. Did you notice what Paulinho mentioned about "restrictor motors"?
What I've seen of typical dielsel torque curves they look like a mirror image of a gasser HP curve....
Here's some typical thing:

Seems to be a whole shit ton at very low rpm then fades rapidly..
And with a whole shit-ton, coming in suddenly, grip---thru just 2 wheels is a problem, and that is what SBD said...

Gassers make less power initially and build up as revs increase...as we all know.
Gearing multiplies but the net effect is different...hard to splain simply--especially when I'm supposed to be working AND minding the girls who are off from school this week..
Basically "it ain't what we're used to" and so the sloutions "ain't what we're used to.".

And if a place with a lot more resources would say in interviews that they had a LOT of difficulties, what will the poor bastid here have?
Possibly a slow car

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Greasecar
Justin Carven
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
'79 VW Rabbit TDI, '02 VW Golf

April 10, 2013 02:21PM
Don't mean to go too far off topic but I saw the TDI discussion so I figured I have to jump in. I've been running my Rabbit the last 4 years with a MK4 TDI engine (ALH) converted to mechanical injection and turbo control. The vane actuation is nowhere near as refined as it would be with the help of an ECU but still does pretty well with a simple Forge adjustible pressure actuator.

I finally have my new MK4 TDI finished and gave it a shakedown at Rallye Perce Neige in Feb.. It was hard to put the power down on polished ice but we'll get to see how it handles with traction at the Empire State Rally next week. I expect it'll take a bit of time to get everything dialed in.

I think Josh is going to have a great combination, starting with a proven MK2 platform he's been fine tuning for years and adding the tourque and reliability of the TDI.

www.DMackTyresUSA.com
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

April 10, 2013 02:36PM
I don't think this problem is unique to diesels. Every turbo 2wd car has a similar problem because the torque and horsepower can easily more than double within a narrow rpm band of just a few hundred rpm. It seems to me that where it occurs within the rpm band is less consequential than how quickly it occurs.

If you are in 2nd gear and boot it from 3000rpm in a turbo gas car you may go from 0psi boost and maybe 65tq to 25psi and 300tq by 3400 rpm.

So, it seems to me that traction and boost control strategies would be useful in either situation. Everyone I know with a turbo 2wd rally car has struggled with this --- particularly if they are FWD where sudden wheel spin means sudden loss of steering.

One. Class -- 2WD

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

April 10, 2013 02:56PM
Josh Wimpey
I don't think this problem is unique to diesels. Every turbo 2wd car has a similar problem because the torque and horsepower can easily more than double within a narrow rpm band of just a few hundred rpm. It seems to me that where it occurs within the rpm band is less consequential than how quickly it occurs.

If you are in 2nd gear and boot it from 3000rpm in a turbo gas car you may go from 0psi boost and maybe 65tq to 25psi and 300tq by 3400 rpm.

So, it seems to me that traction and boost control strategies would be useful in either situation. Everyone I know with a turbo 2wd rally car has struggled with this --- particularly if they are FWD where sudden wheel spin means sudden loss of steering.

Yes, that is sorta the direction i was thinking.. And there the thing will taller gearing on loose/slick---(think clutch slip, its kinda the effect I'm struggling with....)
It seems to me that a sudden surge/loss of grip is harder to catch (the consequences of) when gearing is taller---or if in a say proper rally car, when in higher gears....

Clutches slip more readily in 4th-5th than in 1st and 2nd...

And I know from the one time I was at Perce Niege that spin in 4th gear and I was rotating around a full 360 spin before I could react--except to shrug..

So a stockish turbo-diesel hitting pretty hard just off idle means grip is a problem more than what we're used to..

(You boys should know I lurv diesels and extra Heart
turbo diesels. I believe that was a match made im Himmel. [angelic choir UP}

But not on gravel in a 2wd car with the resources we have...
Or I should say "In a VW I do not see the advantages over a nice DOHC gasser."

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

April 11, 2013 10:24AM
Kristof
I would like to discuss what is the best upgrade from stock to "rally ready" suspension for VW MK2 (Gravel set up).

Thank you.

Forgot: http://www.sellholm.se/

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login