Advanced

VW MK2 GTI suspension upgrade/questions

Posted by Kristof 
Pete
Pete Remner
Infallible Moderator

Re: VW MK2 GTI suspension upgrade/questions
July 16, 2013 04:49PM
Oh, cool, haven't heard of that one before... That's a different failure mode than the cage exploding at high lock for sure.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

July 17, 2013 12:22PM
john vanlandingham

Fehler, wie immer!
Sonder:

JOY THRU STRENGTH!

MTS

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Pete
Pete Remner
Infallible Moderator

July 17, 2013 01:09PM
Kinder durch Freunde?

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 17, 2013 02:26PM
Pete
Kinder durch Freunde?

You aren't suggesting that we should do that with strangers, are you?

And the sheared off splinded part of the CV is what I have seen on every fast car here.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
wildert
Brian Klausen
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

July 17, 2013 02:35PM
john vanlandingham
And the sheared off splinded part of the CV is what I have seen on every fast car here.

Wow - with three of those under my belt, it must mean that I have a very fast car grinning smiley

Brgrds
Brian

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 17, 2013 02:37PM
wildert
john vanlandingham

Wow - with three of those under my belt, it must mean that I have a very fast car grinning smiley

Faster than 90-95% here.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

July 17, 2013 02:43PM
john vanlandingham
Pete
Kinder durch Freunde?

That's why we don't see many of them in the midwest...we're mostly in slow cars.
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

July 17, 2013 02:53PM
The first thing I thought when I saw this was over-torque on the axle nut. Just a guess on my part. What are you guys torquing them to? Or are you just jumping on a breaker bar? I just stand on the breaker bar (maybe hop a bit) but I'm not that big of a guy, about 165 lbs.

This is the first time I've seen them break like that but I haven't exactly researched the topic. I've only broken them at the cage during full lock at grass-o-cross, never on stage but I've been running an open diff up to this point. The reman axles break a lot easier than the vw ones as far as that goes.

john vanlandingham
Towona
Like wildert, I had one snap off in the same manner (at the cup)... and that happened on a smooth paved transit to a stage (coming from a service no less).

Like this?

Dave Grenwis - DG Rally - www.dgrally.com
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 17, 2013 02:54PM
fliz
john vanlandingham
Pete
Kinder durch Freunde?

That's why we don't see many of them in the midwest...we're mostly in slow cars.

well I din't want to say that because we're all unique snow-flakes and we all want trophies for participation (Like SCCA used to give 2 points for entering a National and we saw the case one year where a friend entered 10 nationals, DNFed in almost all or was out of the points, and 20 "Starting" points beat several individuals who "won" just one round in the end of the year.), but I think there's something to that..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 17, 2013 03:00PM
DG_Rally
The first thing I thought when I saw this was over-torque on the axle nut. Just a guess on my part. What are you guys torquing them to? Or are you just jumping on a breaker bar? I just stand on the breaker bar (maybe hop a bit) but I'm not that big of a guy, about 165 lbs.

This is the first time I've seen them break like that but I haven't exactly researched the topic. I've only broken them at the cage during full lock at grass-o-cross, never on stage but I've been running an open diff up to this point. The reman axles break a lot easier than the vw ones as far as that goes.

john vanlandingham
Towona
Like wildert, I had one snap off in the same manner (at the cup)... and that happened on a smooth paved transit to a stage (coming from a service no less).

Like this?

Dave look at the threaded end. 20mm threads, big fillet radius between the threads and the splined part...And most people cannot shear off a 12mm stud--unless the stud has been rusty---rust is on surface, and cracks grow from surface--given a chance, and rust is the chance),
nobody even with 10 foot pipe extention is going to stress the root, much less really hurt the threaded part...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

July 17, 2013 03:09PM
fliz
john vanlandingham
Pete
Kinder durch Freunde?

Oops spoke too soon. haha

DG_Rally
Dave Grenwis
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
'92 VW Golf

July 17, 2013 03:18PM
So what do you think then, manufacturing defect? Defect + rust? Super gnarly driving + shitty vw parts? smiling smiley

wildert
Brian Klausen
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

July 17, 2013 03:42PM
DG_Rally
So what do you think then, manufacturing defect? Defect + rust? Super gnarly driving + shitty vw parts? smiling smiley

I'm pretty sure mine wasn't over-torqued. I was always super careful with using a torque wrench and so on - torqued to the spec in the Bentley.

Like I said, I broke three of them. At least two was from the same manufacturer - and that may have been a real bad/cheapo one - quite possibly.
When I changed to VR6, I also got the joints from a different (German) manufacturer, and so far they have been doing just fine. I even have two spares from the same place sitting on the shelf, but so far no need (knock on wood).
But I broke some with my limp wristed 1.8 8V with nothing more than an exhaust manifold and a slightly warmed over cam, along with a 4.64 FD and a Quaife. Not exactly a lot of power...

The last one I broke after I went 16V - but it's still no fire breathing machine.

Another factor I'm suspecting in this, was that I for a long time only had nylon bushes in the engine mount at the gearbox and the front. The third on the back of the engine was the original one. It may have cause too much movement in an unfortunate direction - I dunno...

The weird part about the VR6-stuff is that it's only 2 mm. thicker - that's not a lot - to say the least...

Brgrds
Brian

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 17, 2013 04:12PM
wildert
DG_Rally

I'm pretty sure mine wasn't over-torqued. I was always super careful with using a torque wrench and so on - torqued to the spec in the Bentley.

Like I said, I broke three of them. At least two was from the same manufacturer - and that may have been a real bad/cheapo one - quite possibly.
When I changed to VR6, I also got the joints from a different (German) manufacturer, and so far they have been doing just fine. I even have two spares from the same place sitting on the shelf, but so far no need (knock on wood).
But I broke some with my limp wristed 1.8 8V with nothing more than an exhaust manifold and a slightly warmed over cam, along with a 4.64 FD and a Quaife. Not exactly a lot of power...

The last one I broke after I went 16V - but it's still no fire breathing machine.

Another factor I'm suspecting in this, was that I for a long time only had nylon bushes in the engine mount at the gearbox and the front. The third on the back of the engine was the original one. It may have cause too much movement in an unfortunate direction - I dunno...

The weird part about the VR6-stuff is that it's only 2 mm. thicker - that's not a lot - to say the least...

You know I'm thinking a lot about this mount thing. That's the common denominator... All year Golf have crap mounts..There's different kinds of crap, but its all crap..

And all serious FWD rally things have serious mounts....

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
ericlangbein
Eric Langbein
Junior Moderator

July 17, 2013 04:22PM
It may appear that the outer diameter of the flange that's supposed to seat to the wheel bearing never got there (up tight to the inner race of the wheel bearing). That part is supposed to bear any bending load (when torque is being applied and wheel is turned) while the splines are really only designed to bear radial or driving/accelerating load. If the wheel bearing is too thin (worn out? improper part or manufacturer tolerance?) or the hub is longer than its supposed to be (are the spine ends interfering before the axle nut draws the CV flange up to the bearing surface?) I could see this happening.

Just throwing some ideas out there- I don't have any experience with this particular problem.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/2013 04:22PM by ericlangbein.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login