Posted by Kristof 
Carl S
Carl Seidel
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
1993 honderp

Re: VW MK2 GTI suspension upgrade/questions
July 15, 2013 12:05PM
Heres another, similar design (flaw): http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_207_220&products_id=1808

And another, these ones are painted gold so I think that justifies the (alleged) $1400 price tag. And the page for these ones has a fancy computer colored picture to show you right where they'll break so you don't have to use your thinker so much:
http://scch-heads.com/viewpart.php?id=35
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 15, 2013 02:24PM
Carl S
Heres another, similar design (flaw): http://www.usrallyteam.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=76_207_220&products_id=1808

And another, these ones are painted gold so I think that justifies the (alleged) $1400 price tag. And the page for these ones has a fancy computer colored picture to show you right where they'll break so you don't have to use your thinker so much:
http://scch-heads.com/viewpart.php?id=35

GOLD! We're all going to be RICH!!! Ha! ha! ha! Rich i tell you!!!!

Look real strong:eye rolling smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Towona
Tony P
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

July 15, 2013 02:46PM
If this is your first ever rally car, just get yourself some used/refurbished JVABs (front and back) as they are perfectly adequate for the job and don't break the bank. Don;t worry about hte tubular control arms... if you are concerned about how tough they are, just add some strategically placed reinforcement plates. You should be more worried about your driveshafts snapping themselves off.

Speaking of, has anyone definitively determined the issue with that? Last I heard was full power at full lock being the culprit, and a spacer in the rack helping... Anyone?

Runamuck Rally
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 15, 2013 04:13PM
Towona
If this is your first ever rally car, just get yourself some used/refurbished JVABs (front and back) as they are perfectly adequate for the job and don't break the bank. Don;t worry about hte tubular control arms... if you are concerned about how tough they are, just add some strategically placed reinforcement plates. You should be more worried about your driveshafts snapping themselves off.

Speaking of, has anyone definitively determined the issue with that? Last I heard was full power at full lock being the culprit, and a spacer in the rack helping... Anyone?

And I just might happen to have some rebuilt/freshened stuff too... Just a phone call away.

As for the snappage of the CVs, and anybody trying anything to solve it, come on its only 25 years and a whole pile of guys insist it never happened to them so obviously their experience of it not happening trumps the experience of it happening, so no need.
(we need a better "eye-rolly" similie, bigger more eye rolling...Maybe a good "Jewish Mama forehead smack"winking smiley

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Robert Culbertson
Out of this dumpster fire
Super Moderator

July 15, 2013 04:20PM
I tried to find some Audi ones that were a bit larger, and then machine the Audi hub to fit the bearing, but the internal splines for the CVs were off a bit. I was hoping for the VWMS style with the bolt instead of the giant nut.
Anyways, VR6 is an easy upgrade and they fit the VW halfshafts/sticks. Talking with Robert G, he's a firm believer in the steering rack spacer. He might know a few things about VWs.
Pete
Pete Remner
Mega Moderator

July 15, 2013 08:58PM
Towona

I've never heard of anyone breaking a VW CV in a straight line.

Seems that not securely holding the engine still is another big factor, something VW has traditionally sucked at.

Pete Remner
Cleveland, Ohio

1984 RX-7 (rallycross thing)
Silence is golden, but duct tape is silver.
hoche
Michel Hoche-Mong
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Golf, Golf, RX-3

July 15, 2013 09:48PM
Pete
Seems that not securely holding the engine still is another big factor, something VW has traditionally sucked at.

Huh. I've only had the engine fall out of my car once. Fortunately, the skidplate held it up long enough to finish the last stage and make the final transit.

Self-righteous douche canoe
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 15, 2013 09:56PM
Pete
Towona

That's sumpin that every production car sucks at cause it is in contra-opposition to the all important NVH

Odd since a motor flopping around can be a source of all kinds of bad ju-ju...and man do motors flop around..
Odder still when there are so many excellent examples of what serious (works0 efforts are designed like, but nobody has been clamorous enough or disciplined enough to try and solve this other chronic 25 year+ problem..

I'm so lucky that I wasn't 1/2 as smart as all the genii of today who all have every solution a keystroke away and forums full of ex-spurts all who have been driving WRC level for years, and so when I started and saw auxiliary motor mount brackets in the catalogs, and the text said to use them, I got them right off, and used them--5 point motor mounting and an engine that sits still. And still sits still.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 09:58PM by john vanlandingham.
Kristof
Kristof Kiraly
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1986 VW GTI

July 15, 2013 10:00PM
Isnt the point of tubular control arms is to be lighter than stock control arms? Less unsprung weight.

We dont need it to be stronger, because we want the control arm to break and not damage other components, dont we?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 15, 2013 10:23PM
Kristof
Isnt the point of tubular control arms is to be lighter than stock control arms? Less unsprung weight.

We dont need it to be stronger, because we want the control arm to break and not damage other components, dont we?

The point for cars which see little or no stress is lighter... so if there are no bumps and no poop in the motor, no gearing in the box and a complete pussy driving slow on pool table smooth roads, then one can putter al;ong and worry about unsprung weight...

However:
REAL stressed cars accept substantial increases in weight in all the suspension parts in return for strength and durability..

We need ALL the parts to be significantly stronger: uprights, bearings, hubs, ball joints, links, subframe mounting points, bodyshell mounting points, everything.
The whole "fuse" shit is shit-talk from forums from people rationalising why they were so non-chalant to try to make their car better and stronger.

VW uprights/knuckles are cheesoid and spindly--and can easily be reinforced. The stamped steel control arms are shitty and a flat plate really is kind of minimalist. The ball joints are miniture, tie rods are soda straws, subframes slightly better than wet cardboard...it is not surprising most people dare not drive hard...

Unsprung weight is one of the most hard to exterminate "Intra--web Tru-isms", nice to fight about theoretically and in actual practice nothing for a clubbie guy on a real world budget to give a single thought to.

Like everything else they did in VWs heimat, they got it all backwards when they said "Kraft durch Freud" (look in the lower part of the title)

Fehler, wie immer!
Sonder:

JOY THRU STRENGTH!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/15/2013 10:24PM by john vanlandingham.
wildert
Brian Klausen
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

July 16, 2013 02:40AM
Pete
Towona

Well - you have now... Granted I had just finished exiting a turn - but the wheels were pointed straight ahead (or real close to it). My Quaife ATB diff and a rather uneven concrete surface may have played a role, but I wasn't going round a corner.

I have actually broken 3 in total - 2 on the drivers side, and 1 on the other. None have broken at full lock. 1 at straight ahead or close to it, and the other 2 at low to medium steering input (or what ever you would call it - sorry, not native English speaker, hope you get the point).

All failures have been with the actual axle stub breaking clean off the joint "cup".

Then I got REAL tired, and bought 2 VR6 hubs, and a bunch of VR6 CV joints. Welded and redrilled the hubs for 4x100, and so far no issues (knock on wood). It is now 3 or 4 years ago.

Like John said: everybody sucks at that, and yes, it plays a big role in CV's breaking as well, but that is not specific to VW mk II's.
I have Nylon bushings at all three engine mounts for that same reason. Lots of vibrations, but the engine is held solid in place. Given that the gear linkage is not via cable but solid rods, this is even more important with mk II's (as well as the A1 platform like Rabbits and Sciroccos).

Brgrds
Brian

Towona
Tony P
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

July 16, 2013 12:57PM
Like wildert, I had one snap off in the same manner (at the cup)... and that happened on a smooth paved transit to a stage (coming from a service no less).

Runamuck Rally
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

July 16, 2013 01:21PM
Towona
Like wildert, I had one snap off in the same manner (at the cup)... and that happened on a smooth paved transit to a stage (coming from a service no less).

Like this?

That is the failure I am always referring to..

Which according to the ex-spurts shouldn't be happening..

Notice the key word? Shouldn't.

This are are or aren't, should and shouldn't isn't the question..
The use of the word should should be prohibited!
And shouldn't shouldn't be tolerated either!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Towona
Tony P
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
MK2 Golf

July 16, 2013 01:38PM
yep

Runamuck Rally
wildert
Brian Klausen
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
VW Golf GTi 16V

July 16, 2013 01:41PM
That would be a yes for me as well - because it's my picture of my second failure smiling smiley.

Brgrds
Brian

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login