Andrew Frick
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

Re: Let's pretend I have a Volvo 242
May 28, 2014 02:27PM
Morison
Andrew_Frick
Is it is just Reiger springs and dampers...

'Just' doesn't quite to Reiger justice.
Don't forget Nelson also has full time access to Dirt Fish to work on set-up and make sure the suspension settings are optimized. That can't hurt either.

This is the root of my question. Is this tuning of a great damper / spring combination connected to stock uprights, control arms, top mounts, etc. Or is there more going on?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

May 28, 2014 02:28PM
NoCoast
I can't believe the obvious answer hasn't been stated yet. Chevy LS big block and T56 with 2.88 final drive!

No no, Ls1 and T56, all aluminum block comes in at about 370lb minus intakes, less then some iron block 4 bangers. And, what is this, Volvo started selling the L series engine for their boats in 2013. And that's close enough for the peeps that matter.

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
Jard
Jared Lantzy
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Free range navigator

May 28, 2014 02:29PM
mellow65
And, what is this, Volvo started selling the L series engine for their boats in 2013. And that's close enough for the peeps that matter.

thumbs up
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

May 28, 2014 05:41PM
Jard
mellow65
And, what is this, Volvo started selling the L series engine for their boats in 2013. And that's close enough for the peeps that matter.

thumbs up

Even though I would probably go the LM7 route, you know in the spirit of cheap ass motors, you can pick those up for pretty dang cheap, and from many of reading well underestimated on power from the factory. If you felt you needed to save the 70ish pounds the aluminum block saves you, then the L33 is a better choice then a LS1, under a $1000, heads i guess from the LS6 (corvette motor), and well it's not the LS1, so you don't pay the LS1 premium. Also, a well built T5 will do all T56 will do, minus the 6th gear, as long as you don't crank the power all the way up to 11. And the costs should still be less then a well built T56.

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 28, 2014 06:41PM
At this risk of spoiling all the talk of Ellis Juan and all the powerz.....and making this thread into a wank fest---eeeeewwww----The question was a good one...

But you boys need reminding of how the Ozzie in the little tiny 1600cc Fiesta kicked everybody in the Continents ass except a couple of the millionaire guys?

With maybe max 160 hp at the crank?

Please. V8 and massive HP fantasies in a thread maybe marked "Dreams of bazzillion HP so I can jizz in my jeans thread"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

May 29, 2014 01:34AM
The Reigers were 7k about, Low speed, high speed and rebound adjustments, and they have those slick dropaway valves that open the rebound all the way when the wheel leaves the ground.

The front kuckles and arms are 325, not the stock M ones, with Alcon radial mounted brakes.
The rear is a stock M trailing arm with a turner spherical bearing, and turner motorsport links, and I believe stock rear brakes.

He just switched over to plain non M driveshaft and axles, because they are lighter.

It really isnt that uber trick, just well thought out.
Jard
Jared Lantzy
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Free range navigator

May 29, 2014 08:09AM
john vanlandingham
At this risk of spoiling all the talk of Ellis Juan and all the powerz.....and making this thread into a wank fest---eeeeewwww----The question was a good one...

But you boys need reminding of how the Ozzie in the little tiny 1600cc Fiesta kicked everybody in the Continents ass except a couple of the millionaire guys?

Please. V8 and massive HP fantasies in a thread maybe marked "Dreams of bazzillion HP so I can jizz in my jeans thread"

You mean Reeves in an R2? Which also has Reigers, a sequential gearbox, extensive lightening, etc...

http://www.m-sport.co.uk/motorsport/rallying/m-sport-the-cars/r2.html
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

May 29, 2014 09:54AM
Well I'm going to guess yes, the topic of small cars kicking everyones asses has come up before, yet the fact the car cost $100k always seems to get lost in the debate.

A much more relevant argument would had been the Burress bros and their old rabbit, now that was a small car with a small engine that kicked everyones asses.

And really, no ones looking for a bazzion hp, i just still hold true to the old preaching of JVL, cheap, strong and readily available, regardless what you're building. smiling smiley

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 29, 2014 09:57AM
Jard
john vanlandingham

You mean Reeves in an R2? Which also has Reigers, a sequential gearbox, extensive lightening, etc...

http://www.m-sport.co.uk/motorsport/rallying/m-sport-the-cars/r2.html

Yeah. Look at the spec:
The engine delivers 163 PS @ 7,500 rpm and torque of 182 Nm @ 5,700 rpm. (that's a whopping 135 ft/lbs)
And a 5 speed dog box---nothing special of "trick' and the sequential thing while logical and cool and "shoulda been done" 40 years ago is not "THE!!!!!" decisive thing...

We can make educated guess...well I can make an educated guess what the ratios are and the final drive.... but the point to be stressed---espeicially when Good Ol' Bois start stroking themselves about Ellis Juan "because 400 Bee haitch Peas is soo easy" is:

LOADS Horse Powerz isn't the beeeeg deal..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 29, 2014 10:06AM
mellow65
Well I'm going to guess yes, the topic of small cars kicking everyones asses has come up before, yet the fact the car cost $100k always seems to get lost in the debate.

A much more relevant argument would had been the Burress bros and their old rabbit, now that was a small car with a small engine that kicked everyones asses.

And really, no ones looking for a bazzion hp, i just still hold true to the old preaching of JVL, cheap, strong and readily available, regardless what you're building. smiling smiley

Doesn't get lost to me! I ridicule it constantly....

And Tom absolute vehemently HATED the Rarebit car --and the motor WAS a nice 2.0 16v with a nice clean up in the ports (did a little "touch the seats up" on it) with some limp wristed girl-man cams and moderate comp.....

It is the whole cost thing which I am poking at on the new--and intentionally contrarian--chorus "Bee Em Vey vill save de Day"
oi Vey!

So far as I can see the only thing the one model---3.0 24v with whoopie doo cams ---has going for it is its stock 240 Peee Ess.

But if it costs 5 or 7 or 10 times as much to get into the car then beeeg fawkin deal--we can MAKE a better engine with race quality parts than an unknown condition-hope-it-wuz-serviced stock thing ---that seem to pop if beaten on.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Jard
Jared Lantzy
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Free range navigator

May 29, 2014 10:14AM
john vanlandingham
But if it costs 5 or 7 or 10 times as much to get into the car then beeeg fawkin deal--we can MAKE a better engine with race quality parts than an unknown condition-hope-it-wuz-serviced stock thing ---that seem to pop if beaten on.

And back to the original question:

How do you make 240 crank HP in a Volvo all season long, reliably and cheaply?
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

May 29, 2014 10:30AM
Jard
john vanlandingham

And back to the original question:

How do you make 240 crank HP in a Volvo all season long, reliably and cheaply?

Pics of the car please.

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
heymagic
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

May 29, 2014 10:46AM
Seriously folks (and JV)....

It doesn't cost a bazillion dollars more to get a 3 series than an old Volvo or Merkur. Even if the car was double the price we're not talking big money. $500 for an old Volvo that doesn't run or $1000 for a BMW that you can drive home. That is the cheap part really.

If you look at the vids (I won't link it I promise) the poorly geared, unreliable L6 BMW has massive power, doesn't need revved to the moon, doesn't need tractor diffs, doesn't need special gear boxes. it just works. 2 OA wins in Dereks hands last year and essentially a 3rd OA this year in a strangers hands. It may be all wrong, but it is so right.

Alternate power...BMW 6's are pretty reliable in the real world at the power levels produced from the factory, even the non M3 motors can live a ling time. The 4.0 Ford V6 cammer makes great power, light weight and lives forever. The LS series Chev V8 makes a low of about 270/290 to well past the 400 numbers . The lowly 4.8 and 5.3 are two of the absolute best gas engines ever built and routinely see 300,000 plus miles dragging 6000 lb trucks around that are often loaded with another 6-8000 lbs.

So , yes you can turbo anything, add expense, add pistons, add camshafts, add complexity, add engine management, add heat and add UNRELIABILTY . 250hp in factory, production line spec or 250 hp in stressed tune. Which will live longer do ya think? Heck most Subes dump a turbo at 100k even with grannie driving. Weight?? negligible these days.

Yes you need good suspension, yes you need good brakes but there are very cheap ways to get reliable power that have changed in the last 40 or 50 years.

For the pervs..a mere taste of what can happen (junk yard motors too boot ) http://www.superchevy.com/technical/engines_drivetrain/shortblock/1306_4_8l_vs_5_3l_engine_tech_little_ls_slugfest/

Can be pretty much installed complete in anything in a long weekend btw...including a trip to get the motor (available at fine wrecking yards everywhere)

Carry on...drinking smiley
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

May 29, 2014 10:55AM
john vanlandingham

I'm still lost on where you are thinking building a small block chevy is somehow going to be 10 times as much as building a volvo motor. Even if you left the LM7 5.3L bone stock you get 285 hp/325 lb·ft, to much for you, do a LR4 4.8L 270 hp/285 lb·ft. Ok, maybe a touch to much power for rally, but it's not 500hp of insanity. Now because the LS motors are basically the most popular engine on the planet anymore, full rebuild kits are cheap.

So I take my $200 LM7 thats in need of a rebuild, and with a full kit with pistons and cams for $1000, thats a $1200 for a high 200hp and torque engine that doesn't have much more weight then that cast iron volvo 4 banger.

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 29, 2014 11:39AM
mellow65
john vanlandingham

I'm still lost on where you are thinking building a small block chevy is somehow going to be 10 times as much as building a volvo motor. Even if you left the LM7 5.3L bone stock you get 285 hp/325 lb·ft, to much for you, do a LR4 4.8L 270 hp/285 lb·ft. Ok, maybe a touch to much power for rally, but it's not 500hp of insanity. Now because the LS motors are basically the most popular engine on the planet anymore, full rebuild kits are cheap.

So I take my $200 LM7 thats in need of a rebuild, and with a full kit with pistons and cams for $1000, thats a $1200 for a high 200hp and torque engine that doesn't have much more weight then that cast iron volvo 4 banger.

Fer fucks sake I am not talking about fucking V8s.. let's be clear: fuck fucking V8s. Was that clear?
FUCK V8s. They are stupid and pointless. They make the wrong power at the wrong time.

This is supposed to be a "whole car package" and "part by part' comparison btween a nice simple cheap and affordable to run--and upgrade 240 Volvo--or a Xartty for that matter since the cars use basically all the same parts.... and a big E36 M3 thing..

The BMW car is what can cost 5-6- or 10 times as much which we have seen in searching Ad-hunter to look at Craigslist ads nationwide....

The CAR....with its long 3.0 24v with variable cam timing and 60% front weight balance...ranges in price from $6,000 to $12,000....where 240s can cost from $400 to $2000 for quite clean ones..
leaving a big pile of budget on the floor to BUILD and buy BETTER parts than the BMW with its wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide ratio box, and its gearing for 160 mph+ and its brake you cannot use....etc

OK?
Again: FUCK V8s.
You wanna convince us of how great V8s are and why the entire world just missed the point and shoulda had V8s in their cars and that's why they're all slow as shit come on, start a thread
" I lurv V8s, the Answer to all of Life's Big Questions"

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login