Posted by Jard 
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

Re: Let's pretend I have a Volvo 242
June 01, 2014 09:46PM
We used to go down the Chehalis River bridge and shut the key off for a ways then turn it back on and scare the peewiddle out of people walking. Cherry Bombs and Purple Hornys were so much fun.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

June 03, 2014 07:29AM
Since we are talking about power. Here is a Volvo option that fits John's criteria other than price. Ford has also just released a EC?U and wiring kit for it which takes all of the guess work out of the wiring. Should be good for a 100,000 miles.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22999

tech notes
252 Horsepower @ 5,500 RPM
270 lb. ft. of torque @ 3,000 RPM
All-aluminum construction - about 55 pounds lighter than a comparable naturally aspirated V6 engine
9.3:1 compression ratio - Premium fuel recommended
Ti-VCT Strategy Employs twin independent variable camshaft timing for optimized fuel economy, performance and emissions
Borg-Warner Turbocharger with low-inertia rotor spins at speeds up to 195,000 rpm, producing up to 16 psi of boost
Optimized design ensures that maximum torque is achieved at very low engine revs
Peak torque available from 2,000 to 4,500 rpm
Direct-Injection high-pressure fuel system
Seven jets on each injector spray fuel directly into the combustion chamber
Engine design has been optimized for maximum operating efficiency, with a focus on minimizing friction and other parasitic losses
Low-friction coatings on the piston rings and highly polished surfaces on the tappets
Engine Kit Includes:
Starter
Alternator
Front accessory drive and belt
Intercooler and air intake ducting
Air Cleaner Assembly
Manual Transmission flexplate/flywheel

ECU and wiring for custom installs.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22998
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

June 03, 2014 09:01AM
Andrew_Frick
Borg-Warner Turbocharger with low-inertia rotor spins at speeds up to 195,000 rpm, producing up to 16 psi of boost

Considering this is the engine shipping in the current Focus ST, 16 psi is a very conservative number. Boost should peak at 21 psi and be about 18-19 psi constant.

Suggested Retail Price $8,000.00, better start stuffing your piggy banks.
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

June 03, 2014 09:10AM
Thomas Kimsey
Andrew_Frick

Considering this is the engine shipping in the current Focus ST, 16 psi is a very conservative number. Boost should peak at 21 psi and be about 18-19 psi constant.

At 9.2:1 Compression, putting it much higher would require some better fuel I personally think. I like how they say "Premium Fuel Recommended" if you didn't use it, they must have some amazing knock detection and boost cut. But maybe I am just stuck in the old saab days winking smiley
Thomas Kimsey
Thomas Kimsey
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 XRatty

June 03, 2014 09:19AM
MattWatson
Thomas Kimsey
Andrew_Frick

At 9.2:1 Compression, putting it much higher would require some better fuel I personally think. I like how they say "Premium Fuel Recommended" if you didn't use it, they must have some amazing knock detection and boost cut. But maybe I am just stuck in the old saab days winking smiley

9.3:1 and it runs fine on the crappiest of fuels. Modern knock detection and engine control is a wonderful thing. The 21 psi comes with what Ford calls overboost. You are limited to 15 seconds of it in optimal conditions.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 03, 2014 10:10AM
Andrew_Frick
Since we are talking about power. Here is a Volvo option that fits John's criteria other than price. Ford has also just released a EC?U and wiring kit for it which takes all of the guess work out of the wiring. Should be good for a 100,000 miles.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22999

tech notes
252 Horsepower @ 5,500 RPM
270 lb. ft. of torque @ 3,000 RPM
All-aluminum construction - about 55 pounds lighter than a comparable naturally aspirated V6 engine
9.3:1 compression ratio - Premium fuel recommended
Ti-VCT Strategy Employs twin independent variable camshaft timing for optimized fuel economy, performance and emissions
Optimized design ensures that maximum torque is achieved at very low engine revs
Peak torque available from 2,000 to 4,500 rpm
Direct-Injection high-pressure fuel system
Seven jets on each injector spray fuel directly into the combustion chamber
Engine design has been optimized for maximum operating efficiency, with a focus on minimizing friction and other parasitic losses
Low-friction coatings on the piston rings and highly polished surfaces on the tappets
Engine Kit Includes:
Starter
Alternator
Front accessory drive and belt
Intercooler and air intake ducting
Air Cleaner Assembly
Manual Transmission flexplate/flywheel

ECU and wiring for custom installs.
http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22998

Actually tyhe thread was supposed to be a real world based comparison limited by the examples given

Ya know? When the master questioning the pupils and says
"Given the following two examples....., compare and contrast"

You aren't supposed to just free associate or start blabbering about 100 years of Snmall Block Chevys dominating or yakking abvout cheap mundane limp BMWs but rather keep to the example E36 M3 with 240 bhp...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
MattWatson
Matt Watson
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Merkur

June 03, 2014 10:40AM
john vanlandingham

Actually tyhe thread was supposed to be a real world based comparison limited by the examples given

Ya know? When the master questioning the pupils and says
"Given the following two examples....., compare and contrast"

You aren't supposed to just free associate or start blabbering about 100 years of Snmall Block Chevys dominating or yakking abvout cheap mundane limp BMWs but rather keep to the example E36 M3 with 240 bhp...

I have the perfect motor for ya then. nice 1948 ford flathead. Nice 3 main bearing design, a whopping 120HP great flow characterisitcs and low center of gravity. Take that technology!
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 03, 2014 10:59AM
Well we were hoping for a real life example for comparison this weekend but the rally gods intervened and the Volvo broke before the event. Really bad deal. Sadly the old stock engined BMW plugged along for another 2WD win, but the AWD guys were certainly on their game this weekend.

Jardevall couldn't source another turbo I was told, sucks.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 03, 2014 11:32AM
heymagic
Well we were hoping for a real life example for comparison this weekend but the rally gods intervened and the Volvo broke before the event. Really bad deal. Sadly the old stock engined BMW plugged along for another 2WD win, but the AWD guys were certainly on their game this weekend.

Jardevall couldn't source another turbo I was told, sucks.

Drinking again so early? You have decades of real world examples, you obstinately choose to pretend the only thing that counts is what you see right in front of your nose...
That little corner of the State isn't the whole world Gene...and that has always been your way...

It's a shame Jardevall didn't have a spare in the truck... just imagine if he paid attention here and had a his turbos modded like this:

Easy swap even when hot....

Whatever, why don't you call Karl and tell him to dump the Volvo motor and put in a small Block Chevy that have been dominating things for 50 years before they were made?
Or why didn't you condescendingly tell Derik that that BMW is shit and HE needs a SBC to beat the Subies?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 03, 2014 11:41AM
MattWatson
Thomas Kimsey
Andrew_Frick

Nope you're stuck with the rate of burn and both you guys are stuck with 96mm which is a lot further than 87.5mm aboveor 79mm like the 1,6 Ecoboost....

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
heymagic
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 03, 2014 01:06PM
Well Mr. VanSlanderham, I rarely drink and never to excess. I don't have a problem with Derek, his car, his engine or his choice of suspension, nor do I have any issues with Carl Jardevall and his choices. Unlike you I am not my brothers keeper. Like all of the 300 plus unknown speccies that managed a weekend off I just like rally. More, varied cars the better.

Maybe should take a bath, brush your teeth, get a bus pass and find a real job that afforded a guy of your immense talents and knowledge a wage worthy of what you bring to the table.

And you really should figure out a way to make the event, support and future sales in the business world might be considered the same as rear towers and JVAB suspenders in rally...common sense.
Morison
Banned
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

June 03, 2014 01:40PM
heymagic
And you really should figure out a way to make the event, support and future sales in the business world might be considered the same as rear towers and JVAB suspenders in rally...common sense.
QFT
Family first is right, but planning to fit in good business promotion on the occasions it comes to within an hour and a half of your doorstep isn't exactly forsaking the family for your business. (It's supporting your business which supports your family, presumably)
But, it would have also meant a helpful approach to solving the problems at hand, and not 'that's why you shouldn't have done it that way' quipping from the sidelines.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
LexusFman
Yengi Lado
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
I Ain't rich!!!!

June 03, 2014 06:16PM
What exactally do you dislike on the BMWs?????? You alluded to the work that must be done to the nazimobiles but where soes the effort and gold go??????

And lmao you dudes are funny as hell you should get a TV show i'd watch it!!!
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 03, 2014 06:29PM
Morison
heymagic
QFT
Family first is right, but planning to fit in good business promotion on the occasions it comes to within an hour and a half of your doorstep isn't exactly forsaking the family for your business. (It's supporting your business which supports your family, presumably)
But, it would have also meant a helpful approach to solving the problems at hand, and not 'that's why you shouldn't have done it that way' quipping from the sidelines.

Thank you boys, I know you both manufacture a large variety of somewhat complex parts and all your suppliers have you on speed dial and are never weeks late with deliveries routinely and uexpectedly so you can relax about scheduling...
i really should study more from guys like you 2 who have been manufacturing things for so long.
I was thinking "How in the world could I justify taking even one day off when I have such a backlog of work from delays delays delays? Up at 0645 in bed at 0030----maybe I could zoom down for a few hours between 0100 and 0500...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 03, 2014 06:32PM
heymagic
Well Mr. VanSlanderham, I rarely drink and never to excess.

I dunno Gene I was just asking because you seem to be getting increasingly irrational..
Small block Chevy dominating everything for 100 years?

Was that humor that i didn't get?

Calling me a liar in some thread? WTF is up with that?

So when people suddenly become well crazy in some area, ya gotta wonder what's up..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login