SteveL
Steve Leitch
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Can't decide which to use...

Re: Let's pretend I have a Volvo 242
May 29, 2014 11:43AM
mellow65

So I take my $200 LM7 thats in need of a rebuild, and with a full kit with pistons and cams for $1000, thats a $1200 for a high 200hp and torque engine that doesn't have much more weight then that cast iron volvo 4 banger.

What would you put it in??

SteveL
This is the point in the killing spree when you really should turn the gun on yourself
Please Login or Register to post a reply
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

May 29, 2014 11:52AM
The 242 in my garage.

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

May 29, 2014 12:19PM
The red E36 BMW piloted by Brooks Freehill this month at Idaho was bought running and driving, needing FR tie rod and control arms for ~$250.
I paid $900, $1200, and $2k for my four. The $2k was a car with coilovers, decent wheels/tires, studs, carbon intake, blown four banger, and a second caged M3 shell. The cheaper ones ran, one is our Chumpcar, one is being built into rally car for my brother in law.

Grant Hughes
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

May 29, 2014 06:44PM
B23e

http://burlington.craigslist.org/cto/4487113603.html

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
SteveL
Steve Leitch
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Can't decide which to use...

May 29, 2014 08:06PM
mellow65
The 242 in my garage.

So the additional 100lbs is "not much more"?

SteveL
This is the point in the killing spree when you really should turn the gun on yourself
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

May 29, 2014 08:14PM
Nope, I'll just find me a small codriver.

"Rally racing makes a heroin addiction look like a vague craving for something salty"
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

May 29, 2014 09:05PM
Someone must have been frightened as a child by a set of Cherry Bombs on a 283...

Corvettes dominate sports car racing with ??
Chevy wins Nascar with??
Chevy V8s powered winning dragsters, drift cars, desert racers, Indy cars, monster trucks, off shore boats and so on. 100 years of winning so far and many more to come.

I was racing small block Chevies while JV was still chasing the neighbors dog with a jar of peanut butter. They rock the racing world and have made many thoroughbreds such as Porche and Ferrari go back to the paddocks.

Fuck turbos I say, they are just a band aid for a serious problem..no power. There is no replacement for displacement...otherwise someone would be hawking 2 cylinder all aluminum Kawaski 600 cc motors and 8.1/1 final drives.

Rally onhot smiley

WooHoo, Olympus in sight! Outta be a fun weekend.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 30, 2014 03:19AM
NoCoast
The red E36 BMW piloted by Brooks Freehill this month at Idaho was bought running and driving, needing FR tie rod and control arms for ~$250.
I paid $900, $1200, and $2k for my four. The $2k was a car with coilovers, decent wheels/tires, studs, carbon intake, blown four banger, and a second caged M3 shell. The cheaper ones ran, one is our Chumpcar, one is being built into rally car for my brother in law.

Since the comparison was framed to be a comparison to Derik Neslon car you must mean all those are 1995 E-36 M3s with the 3.0 24v 240 PS motors....the same body and motor and junk as the Derik Nelson car so those are real good prices..

Good deal. Cause casual searching on Ad-hunt nationwide didn't bring up anything under $5000, and average 7500-8500 and many above 10g..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 30, 2014 03:40AM
heymagic
Someone must have been frightened as a child by a set of Cherry Bombs on a 283...

Corvettes dominate sports car racing with ??
Chevy wins Nascar with??
Chevy V8s powered winning dragsters, drift cars, desert racers, Indy cars, monster trucks, off shore boats and so on. 100 years of winning so far and many more to come.

I was racing small block Chevies while JV was still chasing the neighbors dog with a jar of peanut butter. They rock the racing world and have made many thoroughbreds such as Porche and Ferrari go back to the paddocks.

Fuck turbos I say, they are just a band aid for a serious problem..no power. There is no replacement for displacement...otherwise someone would be hawking 2 cylinder all aluminum Kawaski 600 cc motors and 8.1/1 final drives.

Rally onhot smiley

WooHoo, Olympus in sight! Outta be a fun weekend.

OH silly me... Somehow I got all confused! My bad! I though this was a rally forum where we are all excited about driving on GRAVEL!!!!!
Must be the blows to the head everybody's been talking about.. Ding you head maybe 1000 or 2000 makes you get forgetful.
I mean I was going to ask what sports car racing, Nascar, dragsters, drift cars, desert racers, Indy cars, monster trucks, off shore boats and so on. had to do with gravel rally.

Then I realised I was the one with some major problem! I must be on the wrong forum!

Chevy V8...(snip) 100 years of winning so far and many more to come.

Well hell even on the wrong forum I can still learn stuff, WOOT...100 years dominating everything in the whole world ........The intre Webs is a fount of knowledge! And i miss a LOT, I miss a LOT---this must be 2055----how'd that happen? I'm 103 years old...Has to be, it MUST be if Chevy V8 been winning for 100 years..

Still despite all this well reasoned and detailed argumentation of the wonders of the perfection SBC, you just have to wonder why nobody in the world at any level other then extreme amateurs figured out how inadequate their shitty little 4 cylinder are for gravel rally....how could they all be so dumb? All those WRC titles ond only one ro 2 were things other than 4 cylinders.
Fuckin dumb French and Germans and everybody else spending all that effort when V8 Chevvy dominates all racing....

Wait--Gene couldn't be doing Maximum Troll Attack could he?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Jard
Jared Lantzy
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Free range navigator

May 30, 2014 09:11AM
Knowing nothing about Volvo (or Saab) motors, I still don't know how you make 240 crank HP with a Volvo 4 banger. Like, take xxx block and heads and slap this and that on it and run it with this ECU... And it came in this car and there are xxx of them in the country...

The "go to the scrap yard and get a 5.3L V8 from a mid-00s Chevy truck for very few $dollars" option seems to make a ton of sense. You will certainly be able to find parts anywhere in the country, including a replacement motor, and it bolts up to any transmission designed for a SBC.

Although the 5.3 almost seems to make too much power stock...but it's the same block as the 4.8 so no weight savings to be had by going with the smaller displacement motor?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2014 09:14AM by Jard.
mellow65
Oliver Klozoff
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Nada

May 30, 2014 10:19AM
Jard
Knowing nothing about Volvo (or Saab) motors, I still don't know how you make 240 crank HP with a Volvo 4 banger. Like, take xxx block and heads and slap this and that on it and run it with this ECU... And it came in this car and there are xxx of them in the country...

The "go to the scrap yard and get a 5.3L V8 from a mid-00s Chevy truck for very few $dollars" option seems to make a ton of sense. You will certainly be able to find parts anywhere in the country, including a replacement motor, and it bolts up to any transmission designed for a SBC.

Although the 5.3 almost seems to make too much power stock...but it's the same block as the 4.8 so no weight savings to be had by going with the smaller displacement motor?

You're right, there is no weight savings to going to the 4.8, it was just a lower torque rating out of the box. There is the GM 4.3 v6 that was also offered from volvo, as also the ford 302, but both are not all that light.

If RA was to ever lift the "engine needs to be offered from the manufacture" I could think of several mid to low 200hp range v6s. But that's a big if.

heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

May 30, 2014 10:29AM
The power is nicely administered and not peaky, especially in a light car. No lag, no turbo to come apart, none of the bad stuff. Roll on the throttle and go. Either 4.8 or 5.3 would be fine and not too much power, in fact you'd be about 200 hp less than Crazy John Lane has in his Volvo. I had about 300 hp in my RX-7 (not a clue on torque numbers) and there were times I wished for a bit more.

Bigger power stock, means greater reliability. 250 torks means you don't need 5.10 gears and a worthless first gear or a custom built transmission. It means less expense on drive train bits, less shifting on every stage, less chance of a shift rail failure even.

Just because some people (who has never raced a Volvo, Merkur or Chevy that I know of) has decided it's not right for him doesn't mean it's not right for everyone. I think the fastest car on the NW hill climb circuit is a Caterham style with a LS Chevy. Old guy driving it to boot. Look at the cars that ran Pikes Peak when it was gravel, a whole bunch of V8 powered sprint cars. There is an ass for every saddle.
wvonkessler
Wilson von Kessler
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Colts are in Finland; now '87 325i, '89 325i

May 30, 2014 10:35AM
http://people.physics.anu.edu.au/~amh110/16V_Folder/16_valve_turbo_volvo.htm

"Talk about drugs. Driving a car like that, going that fast, it’s like all the drugs at once." - Tommy Byrne

"Now, Pinky, if by any chance you are captured during this mission, remember you are Gunther Heindriksen from Appenzell. You moved to Grindelwald to drive the cog train to Murren. Can you repeat that?" - The Brain
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

May 30, 2014 03:35PM
john vanlandingham
NoCoast

Since the comparison was framed to be a comparison to Derik Neslon car you must mean all those are 1995 E-36 M3s with the 3.0 24v 240 PS motors....the same body and motor and junk as the Derik Nelson car so those are real good prices..

Good deal. Cause casual searching on Ad-hunt nationwide didn't bring up anything under $5000, and average 7500-8500 and many above 10g..

I have to agree with John on this one Grant. Colorado seems to have some abnormal BMW prices. It could be proximity to the BMW factory, but cheap e36s are very hard to find in South Carolina. Prices are more in the 1,500-2,5000 range for one that runs. M3s are still commanding 5-10K. Heck I saw one go for 6k around here that stated it had wrist pin knock and it sold in like 24 hours.
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

May 30, 2014 08:06PM
We bought a nice running e36 a couple years ago for $1100. 5 spd with a battery draw problem. Fixed the draw, drove it for 6 mos and sold it for 1800.

Even if you spend a bit more for the BMW you save a ton not having to build the snot out of a Volvo motor, transmission and rear end.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login