Steve Thompson
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2004 Impreza being prepped, going backwards

Re: some good roll cage buidling guides
December 08, 2011 02:27PM
[/quote]

Hi,

I'm new here and building my own cage, on a car that was already caged by a supposed 'pro' shop, for reasons I won't go into at the moment. As such I'm going over the FIA regs very closely and am a little confused. My assumption is that the FIA regs specify what is allowable for roll cage construction. In other words if it's not represented there you can't do it. I can't find any representation of the gusset pictured above, 253-31 of the 8/3/2011 regs is closest but has gussets that run between the roof member of the lateral front roll bar and a-pillar brace of the same tube (longitudinal roof member and windshield a-pillar bar). What is pictured above braces the transverse member to the lateral roll bar (windshield header to longitudinal roof member).

Please understand I'm not trying to start an argument or cast any doubt on anyone's design. What has been done here is solid and I have no problem with it. There are a number of cars that run tubing on the opposite vertex of this joint that don't seem to be represented either. What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not I can add elements to the cage that are not expressly detailed so I can design my cage. Are the regs the 'minimum' or the allowable? Sorry if I overlooked something simple as well.

Thanks,

Steve
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

December 08, 2011 04:47PM
SteveT

Hi,

I'm new here and building my own cage, on a car that was already caged by a supposed 'pro' shop, for reasons I won't go into at the moment. As such I'm going over the FIA regs very closely and am a little confused. My assumption is that the FIA regs specify what is allowable for roll cage construction. In other words if it's not represented there you can't do it. I can't find any representation of the gusset pictured above, 253-31 of the 8/3/2011 regs is closest but has gussets that run between the roof member of the lateral front roll bar and a-pillar brace of the same tube (longitudinal roof member and windshield a-pillar bar). What is pictured above braces the transverse member to the lateral roll bar (windshield header to longitudinal roof member).

Please understand I'm not trying to start an argument or cast any doubt on anyone's design. What has been done here is solid and I have no problem with it. There are a number of cars that run tubing on the opposite vertex of this joint that don't seem to be represented either. What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not I can add elements to the cage that are not expressly detailed so I can design my cage. Are the regs the 'minimum' or the allowable? Sorry if I overlooked something simple as well.

Thanks,

Steve[/quote]

This gusset used to be required by SCCA and RA, though it's not expressly required by FIA it's still allowable and a good idea. The FIA article 253 regs allow for additional reinforcements and bars if you are building your own cage to those regs. However, don't confuse that section with the section dealing with homologated cage kits (like you buy from Custom Cages or Safety Devices), those cannot be added to or altered in any way.
heymagic
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

December 08, 2011 10:32PM
FIA regs are a minimum allowable configuration, not the only allowable configuration. There is a fair amount of freedom in many areas as long as construction isn't deemed hazardous.
alkun
Albert Kun
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

December 10, 2011 10:00PM
Hopefully Lina will post some pics of her cool half laterals we bent up today. Nice fit on the first try! Lina wins the hardcore builder's prize, she drives her car 20 miles to and from the shop, with no windshield!
BJosephD
Brian j Dyer
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
04 Rocky Mountain MTB...

December 11, 2011 07:31AM
that solves the defroster debate.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login