Posted by heymagic 
alkun
Albert Kun
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

Re: Olympus 2014
June 06, 2014 05:57PM
welcome to the club Chris! Glad you two are ok, car didn't look that bad. It will be faster now that its going to be uglier.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Jay
Jay Woodward
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege

Jay
June 06, 2014 06:24PM
I keep hearing that in FWD cars, "if you lift you die" or something like that. I should post vid of my off. Can't say "our" off cuz it's alllll me. Maybe we should start a new thread of in-car boo-boo clips. I try and learn as much as I can from the mistakes of others, maybe others can do the same.

Jay Woodward
Snohomish, WA
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege
Chronologically, 46...
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

June 07, 2014 11:03AM
Gene, I'm definately going to get some professional instruction. I'd hate to get some bad habits going this early on. I got to meet Nate Tennis Saturday night at Olympus. I we managed to close the bar. What a riot that was.

John I'll work on getting out there, we'll figure something out. Toughening up the rear would be good. My new neighbor came over one day when I was working on my car. I guess he builds hot rods at his shop in Bellingham. Said he just bought another welder and that he would gladly leave it at my place if I like. Also said I could use his truck and tow rig anytime. Lol just met the guy. Thought it was a little strange. I'll take him up on it sometime though after I've talked with him more.

Thanks Albert! Glad to be part of the club... I think. Lol
I suppose it had to happen sometime. Glad it wasn't too terrible. I'm anxious to get her up and running soon. I think that it's made me want to rally even more!

Jay, crash videos are alwYs fun to watch! Start a page! It seems though that it should be crash videos of the persons involed thst posted them.

Thanks guys for the input. Always good to hear and think about.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 07, 2014 11:56AM
Jay
I keep hearing that in FWD cars, "if you lift you die" or something like that. I should post vid of my off. Can't say "our" off cuz it's alllll me. Maybe we should start a new thread of in-car boo-boo clips. I try and learn as much as I can from the mistakes of others, maybe others can do the same.

Thing is MOST of what "we keep hearing" is usually at best maybe 1/2 true...
It's the "blind leading the blind" thing...
From some more experienced guys than anybody in North America I've been told "FWD, RWD, AWD, in the end its not that much different.....you have to do mostly the same things...little differences but not a big deal"

Just look at how the guys who are the fastest in WRC cars are also blindingly fast in old RWD cars...Hirvonen and Latvala spring to mind.. (Both DO tend to drive cleaner that the heros "back in the day".)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Morison
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

June 07, 2014 02:44PM
john vanlandingham
From some more experienced guys than anybody in North America I've been told "FWD, RWD, AWD, in the end its not that much different.....you have to do mostly the same things...little differences but not a big deal"

Agreed. And in any of them, 'if you lift you die.' Further, get on the brakes, you die more.
A fun thing to do is to look at the crash videos and see how many are going off the road with the front wheels locked up...

Chris, It is really tough to tell from your video, particularly with it being really just one corner - would love to see some other corners before commenting too much, but from the audio, and the fact the back end kept coming around, it seems like you didn't get on the gas, or were in too high of a gear for throttle to be of any use, and/or you got on the brakes as well.

You said it yourself, BOTH HANDS ON THE WHEEL is hugely important.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

June 11, 2014 07:34PM
Keith, Ill see about getting some more video up when I get a chance. Car is back at my place. This weekend I will clean her out and start to take her apart. I priced fenders at the pick n pull and they are a good deal at somehing like $56 each same with hood.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 11, 2014 09:11PM
ChrisKobi
Keith, Ill see about getting some more video up when I get a chance. Car is back at my place. This weekend I will clean her out and start to take her apart. I priced fenders at the pick n pull and they are a good deal at somehing like $56 each same with hood.

Call "Certa-fit" on West Valley Hiway on the Renton/kent border.. Fenders are less than half that, headlight cheap--they "Sorta Fit", buit marvvy for a rally car with a maniac driving. Cheaper and easier..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

June 11, 2014 09:51PM
Excellent, I will check them out. Thanks John!
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

June 16, 2014 10:38PM
So here is some video. This is Black Creek. The more I watch this the more i am convenced I will do so school before next rally. I need to make sure I do not form bad habits. This is my third rally. feel free to critique if you wish.

northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

June 17, 2014 08:58AM
john vanlandingham

Let's schedule some time to visit some woods---with no ditches...

Chris,

Once you get the car fixed I'd be up for some practice too. Primitive has a school coming up in July/August and of course Dirtfish every day of the week.
markhuebbe
Mark Huebbe
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1970 VW Beetle (Historic)

June 17, 2014 09:22AM
ChrisKobi
So here is some video. This is Black Creek. The more I watch this the more i am convenced I will do so school before next rally. I need to make sure I do not form bad habits. This is my third rally. feel free to critique if you wish.

At first I thought you were on recce making notes. (Did you use the same car for recce? Why the tape on the wheel if you didn't?)

Yeah, a school might be in your best interest. It seems that you are very tentative and quite possibly don't like sliding the car around at all.

http://www.huebberally.com
northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

June 17, 2014 09:29AM
almost did a little happy clap when the speedo got above 60

Chris, do you have any video of Cougar? Curious to see what you did on that one.
Morison
Banned
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

June 17, 2014 09:58AM
I'd either remove the steering wheel tape during the event, or get a second steering wheel to change out when you're not on recce. If you use steering wheel marks to grade corners, it doesn't mean you'll be turning the wheel to that point on stage. There's no need for the marks during the event and they are more likely to be distracting than helpful - other than the centering mark.

Definitely timid approach, and not enough 'control' of the steering wheel. Often one-handed and moving the grip position around all the time. Should be 10 and 2, both hands on the wheel unless there's a good reason, firm but light grip, don't be afraid of crossing over.

What were your tire pressures like? Allignment? When the back end does start to swing, it seems to really move... but you also tend to come off the gas, or be below your powerband, so that may not be reflective of set-up.

Again, tough to tell from a video but it seems you're short shifting and staying below the power band. This gets you in trouble several times in the video where you should have had the power to just put your foot down and get going.

I think either a school, or a test day with someone who can teach you, would pay off huge.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
heymagic
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 17, 2014 10:04AM
Dirt Fish. Eklunds school is a slo-mo affair and of no real benefit in your case.

First off it seems like you are a bit tentative in the corners and off the gas too much. When in decel like that it encourages the rear of the car to come around.

Car seems squirrely. Something not quite right there maybe.

Talk to Troy Jorgenson at DF. I called him and they can allow caged rally cars on course and Nate Tennis would be great to help you.

3rd event thing is fine , we all had to learn. Previous motorsports gives a guy a bit of an advantage as the fear of speed is much less. Right now I'd be worried you will develop more bumps and bruises than speed....
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 17, 2014 10:15AM
Morison

*Definitely timid approach,
*What were your tire pressures like?
*Allignment?

When the back end does start to swing, it seems to really move... but you also tend to come off the gas, or be below your powerband, so that may not be reflective of set-up.

*it seems you're short shifting and staying below the power band.
This gets you in trouble several times in the video where you should have had the power to just put your foot down and get going.

I think either a school, or a test day with someone who can teach you, would pay off huge.

After watching I say the points emphasized need emphasis..

Really tho BEFORE that answers to the questions.

And once again--and seriously find the vid clip I have posted
"If you're goin to shoot SHOOT, ya wanna talk talk."

You wanna gas it GAS IT, don't balk.

You wanna brake, BRAKE, don't balk

You should concentrate on GROSS driver improvement before worry about anything.
(Like notes, LFB, blah blah)

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login