Posted by heymagic 
12xalt
"oh! you're the one!"
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1974 Dodge Colt, under construction

Re: Olympus 2014
June 04, 2014 05:54PM
just a couple of pics my friend took (she posted a bunch on fb, I only did the copy/pasta on a few of them)

Please Login or Register to post a reply
Jay
Jay Woodward
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege

Jay
June 04, 2014 06:04PM
northcoast
Just wondering 'cause I heard a little chaos going on when you came down the hill and the rear tire was kicked out pretty good.

A wee bit of embankment landscaping gave us about 3" of toe out on the right rear. Made for some interesting handling but our wizard crew sorted it out...

Jay Woodward
Snohomish, WA
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege
Chronologically, 46...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2014 12:20AM by Jay.
aj_johnson
A.J. Johnson
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
88 Audi 80

June 04, 2014 08:53PM
Way cool! sorry I missed out on this one, I'll be sure to be there next year.

Al Kun- Didya fix the rear end? What was it?
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

June 04, 2014 09:22PM
Hey Gene, Huge thank you for letting me leave my car at your shop till I found a tow back home! I heard you use to race 510's like Jeff or something like that? I'd love a 510! Thanks again!
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 04, 2014 10:23PM
You're very welcome. It was nice meeting Jeff and son, fellow Datsun enthusiasts. My first rally car was a horribly wrong 1600 Roadster. Kinda slow and very crude really. Then a Plymouth Arrow, then Datsun 510 and a slew of others over the years.

Your car doesn't look quite as bruised as Jay's.

Looks like we may get some more northern roads towards the Black Creek area and likely not have Nahwatzel for 2015.
corax
Keith Fritzinger
Ultra Moderator

June 04, 2014 10:31PM
northcoast
Anyone know what happened to the #938 car on SS12? They were doing good when they passed me but I saw they got a DNF.

Electrical problems downed the car between inst 59 and inst 63, just over 2 miles before Finish.

from Steven Redd's FB:

We started the last stage and were going flat out with about 2 miles left we broke the exhaust then it bent up and melted the main exhaust harness and killed power to the motor but that's rally ! . . . .
we had a blown main fuse then a fuel pump fuse blew and after fixing all the bare wires it fired right up !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/04/2014 10:36PM by corax.
alkun
Albert Kun
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

June 04, 2014 10:57PM
aj_johnson
Way cool! sorry I missed out on this one, I'll be sure to be there next year.

Al Kun- Didya fix the rear end? What was it?

Yep, all turned out to be a loose nut on the pinion.

That was just a wonderful rally. The operation ran like a swiss watch and the roads were awesome!

We were having a really great run but had problems with the fuel system... at least we drove it onto the trailer.
alkun
Albert Kun
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

June 04, 2014 11:05PM
corax

Ditto. Had a blast, everything ran smoothly, and a little bit of carnage but no injuries makes for a great weekend. Me and my medic got a good startle from one of the Volvos while we were posted at inst 53 on the night running of Nahwatzel - I think they weren't quite sure if they wanted to bear left or blow banner tape and take the Ting Wu detour.

Sorry about that, I distictly remember that "moment", it earned me a scolding from my codriver, and it takes a lot to get a rise out of Don B.

If it makes you feel any better, earlier in the day I made myself scream like a little girl when the rear kicked way up over crest that turned out to be a jump, and the car thought about introducing itself to the trees...
northcoast
Kevin Morrison
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1998 Subaru Imp

June 05, 2014 08:58AM
corax
northcoast
Anyone know what happened to the #938 car on SS12? They were doing good when they passed me but I saw they got a DNF.

Electrical problems downed the car between inst 59 and inst 63, just over 2 miles before Finish.

Thanks for the update Keith. I don't do FB so I miss out on a lot of stuff. Good to meet you (and everyone else) out there. Do you think my other car might have a future as a sweep?

Here's a little compilation vid from that same corner Seana and Merrilee were at on Sunday.

I've got some footage from Inst. 6 on Cougar too. If anyone is interested just send me a PM with the car #.
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

June 06, 2014 09:51AM
heymagic
You're very welcome. It was nice meeting Jeff and son, fellow Datsun enthusiasts. My first rally car was a horribly wrong 1600 Roadster. Kinda slow and very crude really. Then a Plymouth Arrow, then Datsun 510 and a slew of others over the years.

Looks like we may get some more northern roads towards the Black Creek area and likely not have Nahwatzel for 2015.

I'll get the car fixed, I think the window header is my only concern at the moment. Might need some advice on that and maybe the right tools if it involves more than a sledge hammer. Where there's a will there's a way!
I was watching some of my in car video and dang, while I don't think I need power I do need different gearing for sure. Seems like with all the hills the car was always in the wrong gear. Not to say some of it is all me. It just felt like the car was always bogging down. Also I got some bad habits I need to resolve. I think some proper schooling would be a great investment. In car video is priceless really shows you how rad you think you are, you aren't. smiling smiley

I know it's a bit early but do you think that it's possible for any of the new stages next year to be as long as Nahwatzel?
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 06, 2014 10:13AM
I doubt any will be as long as Nahwatzel, it's pretty rare to get that combination for length.

Porta power on the header with a new windshield for test fit and a wee bit of bondo. Alternately it isn't very hard to reroof the car if needed. Snip, snip, weld, weld.

Gearing is a bit tougher. With a smallish NA motor I'm with JV on the 4.8 to 5 whatevers. Especially with 15 inch tires.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 06, 2014 01:08PM
ChrisKobi
heymagic

I'll get the car fixed, I think the window header is my only concern at the moment. Might need some advice on that and maybe the right tools if it involves more than a sledge hammer. Where there's a will there's a way!
I was watching some of my in car video and dang, while I don't think I need power I do need different gearing for sure. Seems like with all the hills the car was always in the wrong gear. Not to say some of it is all me. It just felt like the car was always bogging down. Also I got some bad habits I need to resolve. I think some proper schooling would be a great investment. In car video is priceless really shows you how rad you think you are, you aren't. smiling smiley

I know it's a bit early but do you think that it's possible for any of the new stages next year to be as long as Nahwatzel?

Chris, been helping a raving loon in Ontario with his Fuckus and he's already been doing some of the right stuff and the biggest thing is he got "M-factory" half gear kit and final drive...
Fuckus ain't my flavor but the bieest drawback is the fact that it is such a good econo-box--and part of that is the whole gear set and final drive is soooooooooooo MPG oriented....

So your only choice till you can afford gearing is beating the piss outta the motor screaming it as hard as it'll go...cause with so little torques it often won't pull the next gear..

So one thing to think of is if you're pounding it to max revs say flogging it second a lot, you oughtter think of an oil cooler---cause the econo thing wasn't set up for constant MAX revs..

Like everything there's the consumer easy quick way but you can't afford that so there's the spend a little time and save hundreds of bucks way...
I can show you---it's using a lotta same parts as I've used for centuries off either Saabs in the old days or Volvo turbo last 20 years..

Drop by..

Oh in talking with Kulikowski in Ontario and a new Fuckus kid around Fargo ND we cam up with a poor man's rear arm strengthening idea that is super easy and super cheap. again I can show you easier..Easier than the fancy link thing I cam up with but it'll work as well for relaibility at a mere fraction of the cost..
Part of the principle "Don' fab what you don't have to"

By the way here's Kulikowsi reviewing the half gear kit combined with a 4.7 final drive:
http://forums.focaljet.com/shift/668261-review-mfactory-mtx75-4-75-fdr-3-5-close-ratio-set-2.html

Pretty good combo...especially with the taller tires that seem popular.....with that you will not just pull hills, you'll accelerate up them even with a poky stockish engine.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
ChrisKobi
Chris Kobayashi
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
2000 ford focus zx3

June 06, 2014 02:14PM
Gene, sad about Nahwatzel, I guess it is what it is. Still gonna be a blast!

John, I will look into that after work. I intend on throwing an LSD in the car as it is badly needed. Maybe then is a good time to get some gearing. My girlfriend is helping me budget better as she is really great with money. So maybe it will be possible. But yeah you're due for a visit in any case. Sucks that I live way up north now days. But I save a but I money... I think.
Here is my off.
Feel free to critique some things have been pointed out like hands on wheel and ignition.

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

June 06, 2014 03:41PM
ChrisKobi
Gene, sad about Nahwatzel, I guess it is what it is. Still gonna be a blast!

John, I will look into that after work. I intend on throwing an LSD in the car as it is badly needed. Maybe then is a good time to get some gearing. My girlfriend is helping me budget better as she is really great with money. So maybe it will be possible. But yeah you're due for a visit in any case. Sucks that I live way up north now days. But I save a but I money... I think.
Here is my off.
Feel free to critique some things have been pointed out like hands on wheel and ignition.

Let's schedule some time to visit some woods---with no ditches...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
heymagic
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Not a Volvo

June 06, 2014 04:05PM
Well you could have had 8 arms on the wheel and still be poked. Front end looked ok, turning in ok, maybe a bit too far off the shoulder. Didn't push so speed didn't seem grossly too much. Lifted off throttle..transfer weight to front, lessen grip in rear..not so good, possibly drop throttle oversteer. Car was basically gone before the apex. Possible issues...alignment, suspension too stiff for you, tire inflation, brake bias, etc. Really hard to 3rd base from the vid. You counter steered what looked like an appropriate amount but no throttle to pull you away from the bank (I think).

I would really recommend a short course at DirtFish to get the basics pounded into your head. Maybe get someone with good FWD skills and experience to assess your car also, maybe they will do that also, Nate Tennis would be good at that.

New guys...all new guys...won't alway instinctivly know what is wrong or right with both driving style and car setup. You learn by doing, and often that means doing wrong first. The old learn by mistake deal. Very expensive, especially with the cost to get to an event then add the cost of repairs and time down. Yikes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/06/2014 06:21PM by heymagic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login