Posted by PeteNaz 
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

gr.2 Rally Civic Project
February 25, 2013 12:52PM
Hey I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that has helped with the random questions here and there that I have been having! Its really helped in getting the car ready! I thought it would only be fair to put some pictures up of the current progress...everyone likes pictures so here it is!

I've been trying to race the car in any event possible between building, which has had me take the car apart and put back together the night before many times now! but I'm almost complete and wont need that any more!!!! I was pushing to make Cochrane rally on March 9th but it was postponed, which is good and bad (I really wanted to go! now I have to wait, but it'll only mean I'm better prepared for its re-date in May). I got cage inspected and my temporary logbook a couple weeks ago smiling smiley

I painted this weekend...not the best quality but from far away it looks great winking smiley My first time using bondo or painting a car...next time will be much better I'm sure. Everything I've done on the car has been my first time and I'm extremely Proud of myself!

Next up is thoughts on suspension....

You can see how the car started through my link in my signature. (special stage isn't as interactive as Rally Anarchy...you guys are good fun)

I'm always posting on Instagram...follow me! PeteNaz Instagram

My Build smiling smiley
Please Login or Register to post a reply
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

Re: gr.2 Rally Civic Project
February 25, 2013 10:49PM
Oh man, now we have two green Civics!
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

February 26, 2013 10:14AM
BillyElliot
Oh man, now we have two green Civics!

Who's got the other one?!?!

I picked green because no one around this area seems to be using that color....its bright though....Its a whole lotta green when you take it out in the sun.... People will definitively see my car coming, cause they wont be able to hear it with how quite it is hahaha

My Build smiling smiley
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

February 26, 2013 07:27PM
Good deal. We need a Rally Civic or Rally Honda FB page.
mke723
Mike Lindenfelser
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1995 Impreza L

February 26, 2013 10:23PM
looks good. how light do those things get fully stripped?

I be sorry as a muthafucka I did, still sorry I did n' hustled ta peep what tha fuck I holla'd a lil' bit better, or at least try to.
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

February 27, 2013 12:24AM
mke723
Depends on which model but mine with full rally gear weighs more than stock! But anywhere from 2200 for a CRX to 2400+ for an EK4

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2013 12:25AM by Cosworth.
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

February 27, 2013 10:28AM
Cosworth
Good deal. We need a Rally Civic or Rally Honda FB page.

I almost want to make a guide along the lines of Randy's open light guide for Hondas. You can really come out with an amazing car for just under $10k if you keep your purchases tight and look for used parts as much as possible. It's about $6000 to add a cage/seats/intercom and all the other rally stuff. So leaving $4000 for a suspension/brake/transmission/engine package is real easy.

There's a lot of lessons learned I had the first time building mine that I wish I knew ahead of time through the build.

mke723

Yeah mine is about ~2450 with all the rally stuff (1/4" 6061 front, 1/4" HDPE under floors, 1/8" 5058 for fuel tank) then you add in more bars, spare tire, jack, tools, etc and it adds about 200lbs of rally specific crap.

I'd guess my car would be well under 2200 and closer to 2100 in a more "track" type build. That is, only one diagonal in main/roof/rear, one less bar in each door and no a-pillar support bar. One less seat, no spare/tools/etc.
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

February 27, 2013 10:53AM
Between all the Honda guys on here I think we can have a good guide and do's and don't's.
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

February 27, 2013 11:07AM
Cosworth
Between all the Honda guys on here I think we can have a good guide and do's and don't's.

I really like the idea of the facebook page, or just somewhere that a ton of info can be found in one place! I had envisioned a huge build thread and documenting everything but when I started working on the car I would realize the last thing I was thinking about was taking pictures because I was having so much fun!

I definitively learned a lot and if I was going to make another one it wouldn't take quite as long, and I would do a few things differently....

I'll have to weight mine one day, when I corner balance. I'm still sorting out my options on suspension... Bilstein HD's with ground controls looks easy, and the Ksport gravel coilovers might come into a comparable price as that set. But I havent heard anything about them from anyone. I know Hotbits are available and I don't mind spending money where its most useful, but still looking into everything!

I'm going to run my first event on stock suspension, I'm more interested in racing than having everything just perfect for the first race. cant build a rally car to sit in the garage!

My Build smiling smiley
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 27, 2013 08:40PM
PeteNaz
Cosworth

I really like the idea of the facebook page, or just somewhere that a ton of info can be found in one place!

I'll have to weight mine one day, when I corner balance. I'm still sorting out my options on suspension... Bilstein HD's with ground controls looks easy, and the Ksport gravel coilovers might come into a comparable price as that set. But I havent heard anything about them from anyone. I know Hotbits are available and I don't mind spending money where its most useful, but still looking into everything!

I'm going to run my first event on stock suspension, I'm more interested in racing than having everything just perfect for the first race. cant build a rally car to sit in the garage!

I believe that whoever K-Sprout is its kinda like Hot-bitch: some street guys in Bangkok or Kuala Lumpor think they know what rally is and sell street shit cause it sure has been reall short everything that I've seen..

Bilsteins are reasonably priced but EVERY SINGLE time I have seen Groud Control, it is ALWAYS too short a spring amd toooooo stiff.

Other thing, you thinking about Bilsteins post the PN for your model, I can get the valving and then one/we can look at it and think about if you want to bump it up to match correct springs... Keep your reciept and include a copy and the revalve on new studd is 1/2 price....

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

February 27, 2013 11:25PM
I have DMS and for spares a set of HD Billies that I had revalved to match the DMS (how shocking!). I'd say for good cheap shocking shocks, the Bilsteins are great. If you want to start adjusting things and play with knobs then you have DMS and Proflex.

And by the way just created said Facebook Honda Rally page, this way we can share all sorts of info
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Honda-Rally/425485000876816
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

February 27, 2013 11:43PM
for bilstein part #s, there's:
Bilstein F4-BE5-2336-H1 - HD for 96-00 (EK) Front
Bilstein F4-B46-1605-H2 - HD for 92-95 (EG) Rear

Obviously, you can't use the rear one 'off-the-shelf', although IIRC the EK rear bushing is just a bit narrower so some (not necessarily rally) folks have 'shimmed' it out with washers to run an EG rear shock.

That said, I believe there's an EK-specific rear HD that might be the same internals as the EG one I've got listed - I'm sure a search for HDs for an EK will find it.

I don't know how big the geometry differences are w/ the front between my car and yours, but on my car the front shock listed, with internal spacer removed, should get me very close to the 190mm of travel JVL shoots for on FWD cars.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

February 28, 2013 12:05AM
Aaron Luptak
for bilstein part #s, there's:
Bilstein F4-BE5-2336-H1 - HD for 96-00 (EK) Front
Bilstein F4-B46-1605-H2 - HD for 92-95 (EG) Rear

Obviously, you can't use the rear one 'off-the-shelf', although IIRC the EK rear bushing is just a bit narrower so some (not necessarily rally) folks have 'shimmed' it out with washers to run an EG rear shock.

That said, I believe there's an EK-specific rear HD that might be the same internals as the EG one I've got listed - I'm sure a search for HDs for an EK will find it.

I don't know how big the geometry differences are w/ the front between my car and yours, but on my car the front shock listed, with internal spacer removed, should get me very close to the 190mm of travel JVL shoots for on FWD cars.

Message sent for stock valving, let's see what it is..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

February 28, 2013 10:01AM
Facebook Page is great!! I was going to look into making one, glad you did though!!! smiling smiley

Thanks for all the info! Aaron, I'll look into those HD's and where to order them from. Paulino nice punnnnnn hahaha.... So you must enjoy the DMS valving then? How would I go about asking for that.

And thanks John, appreciate it! let me know what comes back....and how it compares to what ever it should be???

I'm really thankful for all the feedback! Now I'm excited to check up on the internet for more than just redtube..... I jooookkke

most importantly though, Who's got the other green civic?

My Build smiling smiley
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

February 28, 2013 11:17AM
looking at shox.com - which is where the folks @ Bilstein 'reccomended' I purchase them...

96-00: Set of 4 F&R 24-023368 front 24-023375 rear
92-95: Non-Adjustable. Price is for a set of 4.24-016049 front right 24-016032 front left 24-016056 rear

So, F4-BE5-2336-H1 should be the same as 24-023368
and F4-B46-1605-H2 should be the same as 24-016056

When I bought mine, I had extra circlip grooves cut to locate the spring perches differently, but kept the stock valving. The process of ordering from shox and having them "worked on" @ bilstein was pretty painless.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login