NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: gr.2 Rally Civic Project
March 11, 2013 03:03PM
alkun
Does your car feel like you are bouncing on a diving board, or aim itself for the trees? If not, you are all good.

Overdamped vs under damped? smiling smiley

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
DaveK
Dave Kern
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

March 11, 2013 06:48PM
NoCoast
alkun
Does your car feel like you are bouncing on a diving board, or aim itself for the trees? If not, you are all good.

Overdamped vs under damped? smiling smiley

I thought we were supposed to reference handling in relation to livestock? Moooo!
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

March 11, 2013 10:59PM
NoCoast

But what does it mean???
You already fucked it up by deleting the descriptions.

Oh never mind you added them to the bottom where you included the merkorrible specs. You need to change the motion ratio's, that .7 is no bueno, your front is something like . Front should be around .95/.98
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 12, 2013 11:32AM
Cosworth
You already fucked it up by deleting the descriptions.

Oh never mind you added them to the bottom where you included the merkorrible specs. You need to change the motion ratio's, that .7 is no bueno, your front is something like . Front should be around .95/.98

WTF. Musta hit Cut instead of Copy. I actually fixed a few things that other people had screwed up, like typing in the in/lbs into N/mm on a few columns.

Motion ratio is the (distance traveled at spring divided by distance traveled at wheel) squared?

Still, what does it mean? Ya can't share without trying to educate a few heathens.

Grant Hughes
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

March 12, 2013 11:33AM
Merkorrible is a new one. I still kinda like Merkweird. I can't even say Merkur. Name makes me wanna puke almost as bad as double rear windows with dual plane spoilers.

Grant Hughes
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 12, 2013 11:52AM
NoCoast
Merkorrible is a new one. I still kinda like Merkweird. I can't even say Merkur. Name makes me wanna puke almost as bad as double rear windows with dual plane spoilers.

Same here. The closest I can come is by double diphthong-izing all the vowels into something like "Mair-KOOOOOOR " but stretch out 5 times longer than reasonable
like Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiirrrr KOOOOOOOR

Poking fun at the horrible 'Meikun habit of stretching vowels which in other languages are usually single short discreet sounds not diphthongs--unless they are doubled or vowel pairs.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Iowa999
no-one of consequence
Godlike Moderator

March 12, 2013 01:29PM
NoCoast
Motion ratio is the (distance traveled at spring divided by distance traveled at wheel) squared?

You're getting ahead of yourself. Motion ratio is just that: the ratio of spring compression to wheel movement. The squaring comes in when you are calculating the wheel-rate from the actual spring-rate. WR = SR * MR^2
krisdahl
Kris Dahl
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
Integra, Civic

March 12, 2013 04:17PM
I had/have Hotbits on the Integra... never had a single problem, did a lot of events on them. Good product, especially for the price, and the folks I dealt with were professional and very easy to work with.

People are happy with their JVAB setups too.
shiza
Dan Norkus
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
94 Integra

March 14, 2013 04:49PM
My Integra came with the Hotbits setup on it. I know the fronts had to be rebuilt after the 2nd event due to an "internal defect" from the manufacturer. I've driven it a good amount since they've been rebuilt but haven't seen an actual stage yet. Idaho gravel roads are smooth enough for stock suspension so they aren't much of a test. I have done a couple tarmac hill climbs on them without changing springs or installing a front sway bar. They handle like crap on tarmac with the gravel setup haha. The adjustability is nice because the way they were setup when I got it. The rear was way too stiff. I was having trouble keeping it in a straight line on gravel. A few clicks out of the rear and it handles right for me. For the one rallyx I did I tightened the back up again and it handles great for the low speed tight stuff.

What do the hotbits cost anyway?
mke723
Mike Lindenfelser
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1995 Impreza L

March 15, 2013 01:39PM
shiza
What do the hotbits cost anyway?

start right around 2 grand last i checked

I be sorry as a muthafucka I did, still sorry I did n' hustled ta peep what tha fuck I holla'd a lil' bit better, or at least try to.
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

March 15, 2013 02:54PM
Hey ya I got a quote from them with shipping to my door for. one way adjustable I believe

"Honda EK chassis.
DT1 Canister rally kit $2167 including shipping. GST extra.
All 4 canister monotube dampers, main and helper springs, boots and bumpstops."

One more Rallycross on Ghost lake tomorrow that I'm so excited for! getting faster and faster everytime smiling smiley

Then Trail of the GNU next saturday smiling smiley After that, make sure I have all the required bits for Cochrane Rally on May 25....couldnt be more excited to get into it!!!!

I'm always posting on Instagram...follow me! PeteNaz Instagram

My Build smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2013 02:56PM by PeteNaz.
brianosaurus
Brian Gottlieb
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 Toyota FX-16 GTS

March 15, 2013 09:20PM
I didn't use Hotbits on my Honda, but I had them for a few years on my Toyota FX-16s. I was very happy with them.

Before the Hotbits I was using KYB GR-2 inserts, and replacing a set every rally (I even had a GR-2 blow out at a single rallycross). I sent the set out for servicing once by Feal suspension in California, with probably 10 events before servicing and at least another 10 or so after. I have heard Subaru drivers tell me the same Hotbits horror stories as John relayed, so maybe we're just lucky that our 2WDs are light weight.

If you are looking for another alternative to Hotbits, I know Primitive Racing has a set of TEINs for an EK that is around that same price range. I used a set of the TEINs last year on Dojo, and liked them. Springs are 65kg/cm front and 35 rear (pretty sure I'm recalling correctly), dampers are adjustable rebound and compression, with external reservoir. I had to replace a bushing in the lower rear control arms since the EK bushing is narrower than on the EF, but they fit and work nicely.

We just put my TEINs on Cody Crane's CRX. After the Oregon Trail Rally he'll be able to tell you how they feel compared to 7 year old KYB AGXs. smiling smiley
Cosworth
Paulinho Ferreira
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Honda Civic

March 15, 2013 10:55PM
Dude just go get some Bilstein HD's and I'll give you the valving stack to make them work. These suspensions don't stress the dampers like McPh struts. That's why the hotbits wont puke the guts on civics. But those dyno's from hotbits showed the lines all over the place with the clicker changes. A lot of cross talk from compression to rebound, and it changes the shape of the nose on some of them too. Plus that damping strategy seems a bit strange, definitely not very rally like.
Morison
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

March 16, 2013 12:45PM
john vanlandingham
I wonder sometimes how people become so ready to assume malice in others., what horrible environment made them so ready to spew hate that doesn't even make sense.
Another nugget of Gold John!

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Morison
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

March 16, 2013 12:55PM
PeteNaz
Hey ya I got a quote from them with shipping to my door for. one way adjustable I believe
Out of curiosity is that straight from them or through Shawn at RallySport.ca? (local rally guy and supplier)
Seems to me the guys in Subarus would kill HotBits regularly but hat was the first version and I think they've dealt with the issue.
Eric Grochowski has run the same HotBits in his golf since 2006 and has done most of teh national championship in each of those years, including the rough eastern events, without any serious, non-induced, issues.

There are a few people locally who have run JVAB, talk to them directly about their experiences if you're thinking of going that route.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2013 01:00PM by Morison.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login