Grant Hughes
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

Re: Olympus 2014
March 25, 2014 09:48AM
Robert Culbertson
Rallymech
I'll take the rally car over the box truck any day. However, my stock Volvo 240 is much better than the rally car for recce.
Man, it's all about recce in the box van! Robert, just use your new two wheeled toy. It might take a better seat, but 10 inches of plush suspension is real nice.

Like the Roberts team that has a second STI in their box van for recce...

Grant Hughes
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Jay
Jay Woodward
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
'90 Mazdog Frankenprotege

Jay
March 25, 2014 10:02AM
OK, so *why* is the rallycar such a bad thing to do recce in? All I know is that I agree wtih Gene as to the importance to sighline similariy. When we recce'd in a Blazer, it was amazing how many crests magically appeared in the rallycar at speed that were simply not there in the taller thing. Aside from getting dirt ont the car before parc expose, making unwanted noise, maybe being uncomfortable or whatnot, I just don't see what the big effing deal is. If i get my druthers, I'll have enough folks around to be able to get another driver to bring my street car down, and use it. If not, WTF, you think I'm gonna rent a Fusion at Hertz or use my RV to do recce? Shhheeeeeeeeit.

Jay Woodward
Snohomish, WA
Chronologically, 46...
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 25, 2014 10:04AM
Have to wonder how much faster and/or better everybody would be if for every hour spend playing recce and proselytizing about the coming eternal paradise that will spring forth when we all have 2 pass recce, more of you guy actuall drove your cars between events in PRACTICE...

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 25, 2014 10:08AM
Jay
OK, so *why* is the rallycar such a bad thing to do recce in? All I know is that I agree wtih Gene as to the importance to sighline similariy. When we recce'd in a Blazer, it was amazing how many crests magically appeared in the rallycar at speed that were simply not there in the taller thing. Aside from getting dirt ont the car before parc expose, making unwanted noise, maybe being uncomfortable or whatnot, I just don't see what the big effing deal is. If i get my druthers, I'll have enough folks around to be able to get another driver to bring my street car down, and use it. If not, WTF, you think I'm gonna rent a Fusion at Hertz or use my RV to do recce? Shhheeeeeeeeit.

Jay its bad because the guys whose secret desire is to replicate what their love-objects do, so whatever they see on TV then we all have to do at our level...
Central service
spint evebnts with endless thiumb twiddling
TV!!!! WE HAVE TO HAVE TV!!!!!!
Turbo 4wd cars
2 pass recce
recce cars
motorhomes
The same brand helmet and romper suit...
dog boxes
the same pain job

How otherwise would the viewing public know we're just a mini version or the Dubya Are Sea?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Andrew_Frick
Andrew Frick
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
Rally Spec Ford Focus

March 25, 2014 10:16AM
John, I thought the no recce in rally cars was more of a local relations thing than anything else.
Dante
Allan Dantes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Mazda LSRX-7

March 25, 2014 11:28AM
NoCoast

Like the Roberts team that has a second STI in their box van for recce...

You should have seen what he used previously at Ojibwe. The STI is a peasants' car compared to a late model A8.

Owner, Driver, Head Mechanic, and Janitor at Tower City Race Team, headquartered near L'Anse. Michigan.
Driver / CoDriver in Rally America, NASARallySport, ARA, AMS, UPMDA, Champ Off Road

https://www.facebook.com/TowerCityRaceTeam/
https://www.instagram.com/towercityraceteam/
Morison
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

March 25, 2014 11:37AM
Jay
OK, so *why* is the rallycar such a bad thing to do recce in?

First off, a disclaimer that I'll be talking in generalities here and recognise there will be exceptions to each of these points.

Suspension: The ride on rally suspension at recce speeds is relatively rough, making it much tougher to write clean notes (or changes) on the fly. That means a lot of going back to re-write sections and some difficulty - at times - with reading what has been written.

Comfort: Not to be underestimated. Having A/C or proper heat in a recce car makes the day less taxing and helps keep you ready for the rally itself. Lets not forget the seemingly countless holes most rally cars have that let in dust... recce in a relatively tight grouping of cars means you don't really get enough positive pressure from a roof vent to keep the dust out.

Noise: The inside of a rally car gets really noisy, even on recce and at recce speeds. Even with transit headsets (which I even use in a road car on recce) it means extra 'work' speaking above the noise as well as hearing above it. You really do want clear communication on recce.

Wear and tear: Not all rally cars enjoy being driven around at 30mph, or transiting long distances at 70mph. Some do, granted, and that might be fine, but you're still taking miles off the car. I've seen more than one rally car DNF on recce with something that could have been caught in a pre-event bolt check.

Jay
All I know is that I agree wtih Gene as to the importance to sighline similariy. When we recce'd in a Blazer, it was amazing how many crests magically appeared in the rallycar at speed that were simply not there in the taller thing.
Meh. Some of the best notes I've made were done in a F-350.
A much bigger difference for crests is if you're running the stage in the dark but recceing in the daylight. THEN you'll see crests come out of nowhere!
Sightline is important, but not as much as many of the other issues. I'd take a rental Exploder before the rally car any day of the week. Don't forget, if you're looking WAY DOWN THE ROAD, like you're supposed to, a couple of feet difference in perspective won't make that much of a difference. But, one of he reasons I have my daily driver set-up with a skidplate, odo, and have speedlines with gravels on them is because it is nice to be recceing in an impreza when you're rallying in one.

Jay
If not, WTF, you think I'm gonna rent a Fusion at Hertz or use my RV to do recce? Shhheeeeeeeeit.
RV? No. Rental, absolutely - but drive cautiously and don't dnf recce with flats.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.
Morison
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

March 25, 2014 11:54AM
john vanlandingham
Jay its bad because the guys whose secret desire is to replicate what their love-objects do, so whatever they see on TV then we all have to do at our level...
We've had 2 pass recce, write your own notes - nothing provided, for the vast majority of our events in Western Canada for the last 10 years. The decision was made before I got involved in making decisons so I can't talk to the 'why.' But entry levels are much higher and disproportionally higher when compared to what's happening in US rally... so it doesn't seem to have hurt at all.

john vanlandingham
Central service
Mostly because the teams were calling for it. Our last national that had a moving service park faced annual complaints about it. Besides, central service is really much more friendly to the grassroots competitor, particularly those who can't put together a service crew. (Which seems to be a reasonable number in every event I've been at)

john vanlandingham
spint evebnts with endless thiumb twiddling
To do anything else needs more roads we can get permissions for, more volunteers to support the event, and competitors willing to spend longer out in the woods. 200km seems to be a natural 'max' that is being accepted these days by the competitors.

john vanlandingham
TV!!!! WE HAVE TO HAVE TV!!!!!!
And what's wrong with TV?

john vanlandingham
recce cars
And what's wrong with using the right tool for the job?

john vanlandingham
motorhomes
Ahhh... I loved being able to jump out of the car and into the motorhome when we had one. Particularity at cold or wet events it was a godsend and possibly even a competitive advantage. But, I've done far more events without a motorhome than with, and it's far from my 'must have' list.
What actually bothers me more than that is the proliferation of enclosed trailers. A decade ago you wouldn't have seen a single enclosed trailer at any of our events and now it seems half the field at our regional events are using them.

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
Jay
Jay Woodward
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

Jay
March 25, 2014 12:54PM
I ain't gonna say nothin against using motorhome as service rig. Twould be silly, given that's my plan, it's the only way to do this part of it specially if you already have a good one and don't sleep for shit in motel rooms. Motel money spends nicer on things like race gas and beer. As for the rest of it, why add complications. Renting another car, needing yet another driver to move rolling stock around during the event, what, 2 car trailer? Fuck that. How bout whatever's eaiest and cheapest. Maybe I can talk my codriver into comin down separately and use his car again, and when service moves we put it on the trailer and go. Or maybe he doan' care bout recce in rallykar any more than I do. all i know is, i can't wait... more stoked for this rally than prolly any other so far. The car actually, you know, runs at the moment. Them fellers at carburetor connection with the 4wd dyno in kirkland know thier shit. Dude says "Adaptronic? Another Aussie ecu? Never even heard of em. Gimmer yer laptop." And 10 minutes later laid in a map that works. I don't even have to keep blippin the throttle to keep it idling . If the front shafts don't break and we don't find yet another weak spot in the car!

Jay Woodward
Snohomish, WA
Chronologically, 46...
Morison
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

March 25, 2014 01:14PM
Don't confuse my position as being a 'must do.'

There are tangible advantages to not using the rally car for recce, advantages that make a difference. I'll admit they come at a cost, and if the advantages are worth the cost is something that is a team by team decision.

If you're starting with Jemba and just wanting to see the road and not 'fix' the notes... the biggest advantages are significantly reduced.

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
Morison
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

March 25, 2014 02:22PM
john vanlandingham
Have to wonder how much faster and/or better everybody would be if for every hour spend playing recce and proselytizing about the coming eternal paradise that will spring forth when we all have 2 pass recce, more of you guy actuall drove your cars between events in PRACTICE...

Why does it have to be one or the other?

Up here, where we have 2 pass recce, we also have regular sanctioned and insured test days on a real stage road. Typically three, but as many as four test days where the teams that come out virtually all run as much as they want in a day, volunteers/sponsors get rides, teams trade cars/co-drivers and the smart ones play with set-up and tire selection to see what really makes a difference.

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
Jay
Jay Woodward
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:

Jay
March 25, 2014 02:31PM
"we also have regular sanctioned and insured test days on a real stage road."

I *wish*...

Jay Woodward
Snohomish, WA
Chronologically, 46...
HiTempguy
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

March 25, 2014 07:02PM
Jay
"we also have regular sanctioned and insured test days on a real stage road."

I *wish*...

Its too bad BC didn't have any test days... there must be a 3km-ish road close to the border that would make it super easy for the PNW and BC to team up and have one. We certainly have enough competitors in BC to warrant it I'd think.

Having recce'd in everything, Keith brings up valid points. I disagree on the truck issue, but then again, I'll be recce'ing for a long time in a truck. Doesn't matter how far ahead you look, a small, insignificant crest is still a small, insignificant crest in the truck. There definitely is a sightline difference that is noticeable over those small ones and can have a relatively large change in notes (for myself anyways). But for even a one day rental, getting a smaller vehicle is definitely the way to go IMO.

Of course, better notes/practice helps get past that smiling smiley
Morison
Banned
Super Moderator

Rally Car:

March 25, 2014 07:13PM
HiTempguy
Its too bad BC didn't have any test days...

There has been some chatter about test days in, or around, Merritt. ~4 and a bit hours one-way for Jay. We've regularly had people drive that far, or further, for test days in Calgary. (That's about the same as Deadmonton to the Loop, but with a border crossing thrown in for fun)

Drivers (16)

john vanlandingham
Gravity Fed
Alex Staidle
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Various Heaps

March 25, 2014 07:18PM
Having been a codriver for events that have used the rally car and a "daily" I prefer the daily hands down.

1. it is easier to write notes which is realllllly good since that is most of what im doing in that seat during recce.

2. creature comforts. like a/c and radio. and heat that works well.

3. its civil, meaning quiet. Even a car that is exhaust-wise mundane is loud internally on gravel sans interior and all that. That makes communicating more difficult. (i like not HAVING to use a head set)

ideally the recce car should be on old rally tires to reduce changes of a puncture or de-bead.

however, i understand that its not always an option, but usually someone in the group has a car that isnt the rally car or the tow rig so it works out. But given the choice....

First Rally: 2010 First RallyX: 2004 (a bunch)
Driver (0), Co-Driver (7)
Organizer (3), Volunteer (3)
Cars Built (2.5), Engines Blown (2) Cages Built (0) # of rotations (3.5)
Last Updated, Apr 9, 2023
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login