Posted by Gravity Fed 
Wannabe
Anne Francis
Mod Moderator

Re: Let's get political. Gun Debate!
December 24, 2012 01:01PM
heymagic
Wannabe
I have read through just a few of the posts on this thread.

When I heard the news it saddened me. I didn't think of gun control, or of the mental illness issues that face so many. I thought of the children all so innocent how short their lives were and why this happened, not how or what if. There are no answers to my questions but there were a lot of young lives lost and if there is a God and he let this happen I think he surely wanted to send us a message or make us think about something other than gun control.

There are also many, many lives lost through accidents which begs the question of responsibility.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/daughter-washington-police-officer-dies-shot-sibling-reports-article-1.1037383

I'm sure all of us were sickened. No normal person would do such a thing. As the details came out it was obvious the kid had issues beyond what we can relate to. Too many people aren't responsible for their actions or inactions. Keeping firearms away from small kids, teaching kids what guns are about and shut the f'n tv off once in a while. Problem with gun control is after a point it punishes all of us, and we aren't the problem.

Hey Gene,

Big hearts are a definitely a given here smiling smiley I know that for sure. You're right this is a debate and a good one. It's just sometimes when there are no answers all you can ask is "why" and try and find some greater reason.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/24/2012 01:58PM by Wannabe.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 24, 2012 01:17PM
RWD4ME
Jens

I stopped my NRA membership in the mid or late 90's, because they did not represent me. I am thinking of rejoining (temporarily possibly) to stop this rabid media anti-gun agenda, but I will have to hold my nose to do it.

This provokes an interesting thought:

How many of you writing on this thread is an NRA Member?

Well Morten I think at least you might find this interesting:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/23/gun-owners-vs-the-nra-what-the-polling-shows/

Gun owners vs. the NRA: What the polling shows

Posted by John Sides on December 23, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Poli-Sci Perspective is a weekly Wonkblog feature in which Georgetown University’s Dan Hopkins and George Washington University’s Danny Hayes and John Sides offer an empirical perspective on the issues dominating Washington. In this edition, Sides examines research showing that the strongly anti-gun control views embraced by the National Rifle Association are not only at odds with those of most Americans who do not own guns, but differ from those of many gun owners themselves.

After the Newtown shooting, Senator and National Rifle Association member Joe Manchin said that NRA would “offer meaningful contributions to help make sure this never happens again.” It sounded as if the NRA might be softening its staunch opposition to gun control. But at a press conference on Friday, NRA president Wayne LaPierre did nothing of the sort—blaming gun-free school zones, violent video games and films, and the media for rewarding killers with “wall-to-wall attention.” LaPierre ultimately proposed the “National School Shield Emergency Response Program,” which would put armed security in every single school.

Perhaps LaPierre’s comments weren’t much of surprise. They were consistent with what the NRA has been arguing for years: to fight gun violence, make sure that people can fight back with guns of their own. But what might be surprising is how much the NRA is out of step not just with many Americans, but with many gun owners themselves.

Opinions on gun control are more varied even among gun owners than you might think. (Thomas Cooper/Getty Images)

In December, 2011, the survey firm YouGov interviewed 45,000 Americans and asked whether they or someone in their household owned a gun and whether they were members of the NRA. About 22 percent of the sample reported owning a gun, 13 percent said that someone else in their household owned a gun, and 59 percent reported not owning a gun. The remaining 6 percent were not sure. Thus, about 35 percent of Americans had a gun in their house—a number, incidentally, much lower than in an October, 2011 Gallup poll but more in line with data from the General Social Survey.

About 7 percent of this sample reported being an NRA member. Among gun owners, the number was 24 percent. Among those who lived in a household with a gun, it was 4 percent. Among those without a gun, it was 1 pecent. Ultimately, you can classify 93 percent of respondents into one of four groups: gun owners who were NRA members (5 percent of the sample), gun owners who were not NRA members (17 percent), people who lived with someone who owned a gun and were not NRA members (13 percent), people who did not own a gun or belong to the NRA (58 percent). Almost all the rest were not NRA members but were also not sure whether there was a gun in their house.

Why distinguish between people living with someone who owns a gun, people who own a gun, and people who both own a gun and belong to the NRA? Aren’t they all just “pro-gun” in some sense? In fact, there are important differences. For one, in this sample, gun owners were mostly men. So naturally, people who lived with someone who owns a gun were mostly women.

NRA members were also different politically even from gun owners who weren’t in the NRA. For example, 70 percent of gun owners who were NRA members called themselves “conservative” or “very conservative.” Only 44 percent of gun owners who weren’t NRA members said that. And while gun ownership has become increasingly confined to Republicans, there are still big differences in terms of party identification even among gun owners. The vast majority of NRA members (73 percent) identified with or leaned toward the Republican Party. But among gun owners who weren’t in the NRA, only 49 percent were Republicans; more than a third (35 percent) were actually Democrats.

Very interesting..
But like 99% of the mass murderers seem to be white-boyz-from-the-burbs, not old cornservatude-atarian-baggers

WTF?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Jens
Jens
Godlike Moderator

December 24, 2012 01:37PM
john vanlandingham

Well Morten I think at least you might find this interesting:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2012/12/23/gun-owners-vs-the-nra-what-the-polling-shows/

Those numbers might change. Ten days ago I would have said there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell that I was going to rejoin the NRA. The immediate political ASSAULT directed at law abiding gun owners has changed my mind. I will be calling NRA this week to once again become a member.

Further: My politics are generally limited to bitching on the internet and to voting. That has changed. I have already contacted my congressman twice, and will continue to contact him, my senators, my governor, and everyone else I can think of.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Elite Moderator

December 27, 2012 07:45PM
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/12/23/5072877/sacramento-resident-kills-would.html

*whistle*

Welcome to the cult of JVL drink the koolaid or be banned.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 27, 2012 08:13PM

Three others, including the homeowner, were shot during the exchange of gunfire and suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/12/23/5072877/sacramento-resident-kills-would.html#storylink=cpy

Just like most of the time--if one bothers to research.

So pure luck the home-owner wasn't killed..

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Jens
Jens
Godlike Moderator

December 27, 2012 08:30PM
Too early to judge what happened. Could be drug dealers battling out.

That said: if real home invasion I'd rather be shot and killed shooting back than begging for my life empty handed.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Elite Moderator

December 27, 2012 09:24PM
john vanlandingham

Three others, including the homeowner, were shot during the exchange of gunfire and suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Glad to see that even in your old age your eyes still work and you, too, can read. eye rolling smiley

RWD4ME
Morten
Infallible Moderator

December 27, 2012 11:10PM
Dazed_Driver

Glad to see that even in your old age your eyes still work and you, too, can read. eye rolling smiley

I'm pretty sure that there's a few people on this forum who are older than John.

Did you stop to think that making a slag against John's age, may actually also have slaged them with a brush of the same stroke?

Just sayin'.
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Elite Moderator

December 27, 2012 11:24PM
I'm 23 and occasionally need to wear glasses...

RWD4ME
Morten
Infallible Moderator

December 27, 2012 11:56PM
Dazed_Driver

I'm 23 and occasionally need to wear glasses...

I'm not sure if that's a statement or an attempt to placate?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2012 12:21AM by RWD4ME.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 28, 2012 12:48AM
Dazed_Driver
john vanlandingham

Yes Timmy everything still works, and in contradistinction to you, I can also comprehend things...
and understand nuance..

Its such a shame that in your immature efforts to pretend to be experienced, you so frequently miss --or purposely leave out critical things like the homeowner was shot...

It is relevant ( big word there, you ought to learn it somebody---that means it applies to what were discussing. I know you can read simpler things but you seem to have arrested development in understanding what things mean---)

It suggests what I have understood talking to combat veterans from REAL wars, and that's he who shoots first ie has the gun out and aimed and finger on the trigger usually prevails--barring gross incompetence..

Or put simply guns don't work too well in defence particularly if the other guy has already drilled you and you're dead...

So logically the only sure fire way to make sure nobody gets the jump on you is to carefully shoot everybody you encounter first, just in case..
best defence is a vigorous offense.

So at 23, still living with Mommy and Daddy?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Elite Moderator

December 28, 2012 01:12AM
john vanlandingham
Dazed_Driver
john vanlandingham

Yes Timmy everything still works, and in contradistinction to you, I can also comprehend things...
and understand nuance..

Its such a shame that in your immature efforts to pretend to be experienced, you so frequently miss --or purposely leave out critical things like the homeowner was shot...

It is relevant ( big word there, you ought to learn it somebody---that means it applies to what were discussing. I know you can read simpler things but you seem to have arrested development in understanding what things mean---)

It suggests what I have understood talking to combat veterans from REAL wars, and that's he who shoots first ie has the gun out and aimed and finger on the trigger usually prevails--barring gross incompetence..

Or put simply guns don't work too well in defence particularly if the other guy has already drilled you and you're dead...

So logically the only sure fire way to make sure nobody gets the jump on you is to carefully shoot everybody you encounter first, just in case..

Nice deductions Sherlock. Must be proud you figured out that if you're shot first, you're usually dead first. Your powers of observation astound me.

Now why don't you stop stating the obvious and wasting bandwidth with your novel length posts most people skip anyway...

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 28, 2012 01:17AM
Dazed_Driver
john vanlandingham
Dazed_Driver
john vanlandingham

and understand nuance..

Nice deductions Sherlock. Must be proud you figured out that if you're shot first, you're usually dead first. Your powers of observation astound me.

Now why don't you stop stating the obvious and wasting bandwidth with your novel length posts most people skip anyway...

Novel length.. Yeah, for you it must be an effort....such a strain.

I explained it because all you fantasy drenched pitiful boys seems to forget that...or never thought about it yourself...or you wouldn't post the bullshit you do..

and all that effort was all for you.
Unappreciative little dick.

So still living at home Timmy?

Is that why you're so angry all the time because you know you're a complete failure as a human?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Dazed_Driver
Banned
Elite Moderator

December 28, 2012 01:21AM
I'm pretty sure complete failure is the level you reach when you're trying to flame someone over the internet who is younger than computers... lol

You just don't get it do you?

frumby
Jason Hynd
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
XR4TI a slow build!

December 28, 2012 01:51AM
In a war it's clear that if you get the drop on someone they are in trouble. Home defense is quite different. Many times the criminal is hoping for a soft target. Kinda like a group of people in a theatre or a school. Someone breaking into my home probably doesn't know the floor plan, or exactly where the bedrooms are located. The sound of a shotgun being racked is pretty unmistakable, and it's harder to miss and easier to do damage that will stop an intruder (than say a pistol). Most people know that, and I would expect them to skedaddle before I had to fire. if they had the balls to send rounds my way I don't think it would have gone well even if I was unarmed and helpless.
Look what the shooter in the Portlamd mall did when faced with a civilian with a gun. That guy didn't shoot, but the situation was resolved.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login