Rumours, Lies & Damn Lies
Don\
Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!

Posted by Anders Green 
Anders Green
Anders Green
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
Parked

Re: Oooo! The next "this will save rally" is almost here!
January 03, 2012 09:31AM
HiTempguy
NoCoast
All I see is dwindling entries

I can only address this part, but 70 entries at sno-drift is dwindling? I mean, it is possible it is an outlier until we have more data

I have all the data for the US back to 2000. Between then and now, it isn't possible to get more data, because it's all there. winking smiley

While we have averaged about a 6% decline in entries each year for almost a decade, 2011 was worse with about an 8% decline and fewer racers than ever competing. Those that did race, raced less than every before on an individual basis. More events were cancelled (9) than I've every seen.

One event is not a sport. Six events isn't a sport. If I was putting out PR about my big event, I would say "It's a great sign of growth!" If I was trying to run a sport, I'd want a much bigger picture than what a press release says. winking smiley

Cheers all,
Anders

Grassroots rally. It's what I think about.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2012 09:32AM by Anders Green.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

January 03, 2012 06:24PM
NoCoast

I am going to actively try to reverse this trend regionally by getting at least four new cars built and two to three rallysprints underway. May even aim for the end of the year for the first event.
. I will also get at least six 13-17 year olds into rally cars for a day of fun and instruction at CORE. Probably will target local motocross and go kart events event winners. We will target and search for youth that have the means, talent, and potential to do well in rally cars and try to grow from there.
Fuck globally, think locally. Fuck GRC, let's bring back the CRC!

I love that type of thinking Grant!!

On a similar (and total rip off) I think i'll try to do the same, but on a much smaller scale. I want to expose some possible crew members to Rally. Think i'll reach out to the colleges around here, auto programs. but i also like the bike/cart racers too. I'm more gonna give a Demo of my car, and little test n tune rides... (just came up with this now) but I really like your idea.

I also think if everyone with a rally car gave just 2-3 "outsiders" a ride every season, rally would be growing rather than shrinking...
Vorpal_Rally
Stinkfinger Lipschitz
Godlike Moderator

January 03, 2012 11:14PM
A1337STI

I also think if everyone with a rally car gave just 2-3 "outsiders" a ride every season, rally would be growing rather than shrinking...

That is an excellent idea. Pro gun folks who want to show their non gunnie friends that a firearm is a tool takes said person to the range, has them learn some basic safety rules and supervises the new shooter in shooting some guns.

Every single rally car I've ever seen has a co -driver seat. Put a butt of a newbie in that seat and take someone for a ride.

It is useless for the sheep to pass resolutions in favour of vegetarianism, while the wolf remains of a different opinion.
William Ralph Inge

TANSTAAFL
jimmy
jimmy brandt
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
whoever will have me

January 04, 2012 08:16AM
There were 60 entries at Tall Pines (which was their max).

2 points make a line (but don't extrapolate too far.................)

press on,

HiTempguy
NoCoast
All I see is dwindling entries

I can only address this part, but 70 entries at sno-drift is dwindling? I mean, it is possible it is an outlier until we have more data, but that's an awfully strong start to the season!

just a poor, dumb, Michigan navie
HiTempguy
Banned
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

January 04, 2012 08:52AM
jimmy

I personally feel that Canada vs USA rallying is quite far removed... since I've been around, I don't think a single person has ever mentioned Canadian rallying as dieing.

Multiple organizations vs one organization, clubs running rallies vs individuals running rallies, etc etc. As always, I point out the simple fact that even though the US has 10 times the population, there isn't 10 times the competitors (so ODD it blows my mind)! If you guys had 10 times the competitors that we have, US rallying would be something to be looked up to worldwide! But I don't even think you guys have two times that. Yes, NASCAR is big, but so is F1, and somehow the rest of the world has room for rally... CASCAR and oval racing in general is extremely popular in Canada too ya know.

And furthermore, I humbly submit that it isn't a cost problem (as I've posted elsewhere about rally solo and the state of rallying in general).
jimmy
jimmy brandt
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
whoever will have me

January 04, 2012 09:06AM
Well, my observation (based on a sample size of 2) is that there is something else going on.

Tall Pines went from 48 (I think) in 2010 to 60 in 2011.

Sno*Drift went from 46ish in 2011 to 70ish in 2012. (26ish for National - no easy way to find total entries...............)

I'm not saying anything about borders.

I don't know what it is.

press on,

HiTempguy
jimmy

I personally feel that Canada vs USA rallying is quite far removed... since I've been around, I don't think a single person has ever mentioned Canadian rallying as dieing.

Multiple organizations vs one organization, clubs running rallies vs individuals running rallies, etc etc. As always, I point out the simple fact that even though the US has 10 times the population, there isn't 10 times the competitors (so ODD it blows my mind)! If you guys had 10 times the competitors that we have, US rallying would be something to be looked up to worldwide! But I don't even think you guys have two times that. Yes, NASCAR is big, but so is F1, and somehow the rest of the world has room for rally... CASCAR and oval racing in general is extremely popular in Canada too ya know.

And furthermore, I humbly submit that it isn't a cost problem (as I've posted elsewhere about rally solo and the state of rallying in general).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2012 09:18AM by jimmy.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

January 04, 2012 09:10AM
jimmy
Well, my observation (based on a sample size of 2) is that there is something else going on.

Tall Pines went from 48 (I think) in 2010 to 60 in 2011.

Sno*Drift went from 26ish in 2011 to 70ish in 2012.

I don't know what it is.

press on,

HiTempguy
jimmy

I think sno*drift had ~45 last year. The number you posted is probably national only.
jimmy
jimmy brandt
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
whoever will have me

January 04, 2012 09:25AM
Yep, corrected my post above.

Thanks.

czwalga

I think sno*drift had ~45 last year. The number you posted is probably national only.

john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

January 04, 2012 09:37AM
czwalga
jimmy

Sno*Drift went from 26ish in 2011 to 70ish in 2012.

Even so the comined "National only" and National+Regional" is about 30 this year so far.

I wonder if the combined $1400 early entry, $2000 by 13 Jan or $2600
entry fee has anything to do with anything.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
czwalga
steve czwalga
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
95 awd celica

January 04, 2012 09:53AM
Honestly I'm suprised there's as many national entries as there is. Unless there's some big prize fund i'm not aware of, I dont see the advantage other than 'winning', but a lot of them have an outside chance in hell at doing that. Regardless its their money and can do what they want, i'm sure it makes it easier on the organizers and in turn prevent pricing hikes on regional competitors, so i hope they keep doing it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2012 09:54AM by czwalga.
imnotcrazy
Don Kennedy
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Impreza

January 04, 2012 11:57AM
A1337STI
I think that's a great idea. BUT, just where do you do that? I think the organizers need to give competitors the opportunity to do that at events because otherwise (at least on the right coast) you're endangering the public on public roads most likely.

Don Kennedy
DaveK
Dave Kern
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

January 04, 2012 12:05PM
imnotcrazy
A1337STI
I think that's a great idea. BUT, just where do you do that? I think the organizers need to give competitors the opportunity to do that at events because otherwise (at least on the right coast) you're endangering the public on public roads most likely.

Rally-cross. Sure its not full tilt through the woods, but I'd bet that target market is more likely to build a car after seeing how much better XYZ is on a full blown car. That's how most of us in Colorado got into rally cars. Of course you could successfully argue that even with doing that we're a bit short on competitors...

Don't most of the national events have press/media stages? I gave rides to 3 or 4 people at Rally Colorado in 2009 when I was helping out as a Zero car...no restrictor thru the woods. grinning smiley

Dave
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

January 04, 2012 12:20PM
Canada has more competitors because there's nothing else you can do. Here in the USA why would you bother when you can skateboard, surf, and play video games on your 65" flat panel TV! smiling smiley

Grant Hughes
alosix
Jason Powers
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
02 WRX, still to quiet, but it finished a rally

January 04, 2012 12:20PM
A1337STI
NoCoast

I am going to actively try to reverse this trend regionally by getting at least four new cars built and two to three rallysprints underway. May even aim for the end of the year for the first event.
. I will also get at least six 13-17 year olds into rally cars for a day of fun and instruction at CORE. Probably will target local motocross and go kart events event winners. We will target and search for youth that have the means, talent, and potential to do well in rally cars and try to grow from there.
Fuck globally, think locally. Fuck GRC, let's bring back the CRC!

I love that type of thinking Grant!!

On a similar (and total rip off) I think i'll try to do the same, but on a much smaller scale. I want to expose some possible crew members to Rally. Think i'll reach out to the colleges around here, auto programs. but i also like the bike/cart racers too. I'm more gonna give a Demo of my car, and little test n tune rides... (just came up with this now) but I really like your idea.

Sounds like something we could use against our rallyx stuff as well. For that.. maybe we need to add free fun runs for taking the newbies/spectators around.

I think Summit Point was encouraging this on their last rally sprints as well. Figures I leave the east coast and they start doing racing in the dirt ....

This isn't floor mat anarchy
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

January 04, 2012 12:31PM
Ya it depends on your local area, you may or may not be able to take some noobs into the woods in your car at any sort of speed. But you can at least get them in the car, and zoom up an on ramp. sometimes it doesn't take much , and if we all do a little, who knows what it will lead to.

and ya ya ya canada has per capita more rally drivers .. and hockey players... and baby seal clubbers.

the usa has per capita more "roundy round" drivers ... and foot ball players ... and alligator farmers.

It might seem that the USA is very lame from the above ... but we did create south park , Air plane, and young Frankenstein. Canada gave us Celine dion ....

Its fun for people to point it out.. not helpful in the slightest ... but fun ... for some people ...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login