DaveK
Dave Kern
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

Re: BMW Compact Build
August 05, 2013 04:44PM
john vanlandingham
Until I get the offset top mounts you want done, the ideer was to use the original top mounts.. The aluminum for your offset stuff arrived Friday.
I will be sawing it up tonight probably.

Sounds good - I will try to pull one off the car and swap in a 50 and see where it sits.

Quick question - any reason I couldn't use two of the 'locking perches' to hold the spring and thereby continue using 2.5" springs? Or another perch with a very thin dealio to locate the spring? I figure over time it might bugger up some of the threads...but considering once set I never adjust the ride height, is that really something to be concerned about? That would also allow maximum space for tires...and mean the growing pile of 2.5" springs I've got could still be useable. Just thinking out loud...

Dave
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Dante
Allan Dantes
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Mazda LSRX-7

August 20, 2013 11:30AM
DaveK
NoCoast
Yeah, but I might be out of work after next week. Got another Chump cage coming in also.

If you get the blue car finished that fast....I'll run a rally this year. smileys with beer

Woo hoo~!!!! Someone's coming to a rally!

Owner, Driver, Head Mechanic, and Janitor at Tower City Race Team, headquartered near L'Anse. Michigan.
Driver / CoDriver in Rally America, NASARallySport, ARA, AMS, UPMDA, Champ Off Road

https://www.facebook.com/TowerCityRaceTeam/
https://www.instagram.com/towercityraceteam/
DaveK
Dave Kern
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

August 20, 2013 11:39AM
Dante
DaveK
NoCoast
Yeah, but I might be out of work after next week. Got another Chump cage coming in also.

If you get the blue car finished that fast....I'll run a rally this year. smileys with beer

Woo hoo~!!!! Someone's coming to a rally!

Blue car still isn't finished and I'm not bringing a compact, but we're going! LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 11:40AM by DaveK.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

August 20, 2013 01:54PM
DaveK
Blue car still isn't started and I'm not bringing a compact, but we're going! LOL

Well, I guess we have kinda started it...

Grant Hughes
ericlangbein
Eric Langbein
Super Moderator

September 03, 2013 08:19PM
Does anyone know of a kit or combination of parts available to bolt on aluminum calipers and aluminum hat/rotor for a E36 that will fit in a 15" wheel? The Ti w/s50 swap that I picked up already had big three hundred-some-odd mm rotors and big calipers from a 330i (17" wheels minimum), and now seemed like a good time to get a lighter setup than spending money on getting stock parts and upgrading later. Thanks.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 03, 2013 08:46PM
ericlangbein
Does anyone know of a kit or combination of parts available to bolt on aluminum calipers and aluminum hat/rotor for a E36 that will fit in a 15" wheel? The Ti w/s50 swap that I picked up already had big three hundred-some-odd mm rotors and big calipers from a 330i (17" wheels minimum), and now seemed like a good time to get a lighter setup than spending money on getting stock parts and upgrading later. Thanks.

Dave sent me some of the parts so i could try mocking up something gravel friendlier but Bitchiner---maybe even if we're lucky Soooper bitchin-er.
First look---actually about the 5th look see says the gawddamn Nazi bastids could have been nicer with the lug center to center distance... Doesn't look easy for a lug mount caliper.. Gimme some time.

Thinking somewhere in the 280-283mm range and maybe 1.25" wide..
oughtter be fine for us.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

September 04, 2013 05:05AM
ericlangbein

Sellholm has a tidy Alcon setup. Of course, JV will go on a tirade because it's expensive and he didn't make it but just letting you know what's out there. If John makes an affordable JVAB setup that would be a great alternative. It'll have to have green rotor hats or something, though.

Sellholm kit:

ericlangbein
Eric Langbein
Super Moderator

September 04, 2013 08:22AM
Thanks folks- Doivi, I'm no expert in Swedish, but it appears that a kit is approx. $3600? Is that for front and rear? Do you have a stock m-cyl or dual with a bias bar?

JVL- looks like radial mount is the way to go.
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

September 04, 2013 11:20AM
Here's another option.
http://www.mammuttimotorsport.com/index.php/tuotteet/jarrut/jarrusarjat

Grant Hughes
DaveK
Dave Kern
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

September 04, 2013 11:34AM
I got non-M calipers for free from someone upgrading to M parts. Spent $100 on new rotors and got some R4 pads have raced on that ever since. Of course brakes at a hillclimb aren't a huge priority and I'm just getting started with stage rally (finished day 1 at Ojibwe and DNF'd - oil pressure related on day 2) so I'm not fast enough there to need the fancy bits yet, but haven't had one hint of an issue with brake fade.

FWIW, this also goes for using these cars at stock power levels (325 chump car, and the 328 coupe rally car) out at a road race track with no duct work on a 90 degree day. We did have the pedal get a little squishy at the 7 hour enduro race on the 325, but we're using all factory components (boosted master, fluid runs thru ABS module). We're going to try real good fluid (SRF) this weekend to see if that helps at the 12 hour...but honestly, I was the only one on the team that noticed a difference as whatever squishiness the pedal developed, it happened during my first 1:30 stint and never got worse during the weekend.

Dropping $3500 on fancy brakes may not be required for these cars, but if you've got a better engine planned, that may change things. I'm inclined to say that given a RWD car doesn't get extensively LFB'd on stage as you would a FWD or AWD car, that also probably lowers the need for bigger expensive stuff.

Dave
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

September 04, 2013 04:22PM
ericlangbein
Thanks folks- Doivi, I'm no expert in Swedish, but it appears that a kit is approx. $3600? Is that for front and rear? Do you have a stock m-cyl or dual with a bias bar?

JVL- looks like radial mount is the way to go.

I don't really know the exact costs, Dave Hintz ordered all that stuff.

Here is the m/c setup we are using:

DaveK
Dave Kern
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

September 04, 2013 04:24PM
Is that the OBP pedal setup? Looks nice and engineered to get pushed up against the firewall from the get-go. I had to monkey with my tilton pedals to get them far enough forward that I actually fit without looking like a pretzel.

Dave
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

September 04, 2013 04:26PM
DaveK

Dropping $3500 on fancy brakes may not be required for these cars, but if you've got a better engine planned, that may change things. I'm inclined to say that given a RWD car doesn't get extensively LFB'd on stage as you would a FWD or AWD car, that also probably lowers the need for bigger expensive stuff.

Dave

I would agree with that. A good set of pads with the 325 brakes would probably be adequate for most people. Going to an expensive fancy setup as shown would give a better feel and balance but you may not need that much braking power unless you're trying to compete with the likes of Will Orders.
DaveK
Dave Kern
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

September 04, 2013 04:33PM
Anybody know to what level Derik went with brakes on his M3? Seems that car really moves.

As an alternative...I wonder if stock M3 brakes could be clearanced slightly to clear a set of proper rally wheels? I'd imagine there are plenty of options out there for 2-piece stock replacement rotors.

Dave
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

September 04, 2013 06:46PM
38/41mm Pistons Left Leading MountAdvantage H-Type Radial Mount Caliper
larger image
Add to Cart:

MSRP: $848.93
Our Price: $724.80
You save: $124.13 (15%)

Nice caliper, right sizes... Great price...
"'Advantage' - a new off-the-shelf brake caliper tailored specifically for use by club competitors and more hard-core track day enthusiasts"

Says right there tailored for club competitors.

4 of them---no pads is only $2900 plus UPS and hoses and pads and mounting...

A deal at twice the price.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login