Peter Nazarewycz
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

Re: gr.2 Rally Civic Project
April 22, 2013 11:51AM
HiTempguy
mke723
are those the old ones on the bench? the shaft looks kinda skinny for rally.... just my opinion.

Its not a strut, not nearly the force put on it. Previously in the thread, soneone said 46mm pistons. Whether the hd's are actually rally worthy or not, well, the only thought that comes to ny mind is cheap used suspension but a $3500+ engine swap..

I have new sleeves and collars coming in for them, the springs are in good condition, and the shocks themselves are something I would have bought regardless and thought it to be a good decision. I got a great deal on the fact that I wouldn't have to revalve, or add the schrader valves to them. However from talking to a couple people, and discussions on this site I am confident in my decisions.

If after one event, nothing is in new condition any longer. Also, they have been rebuilded and not used since. I have to put some trust in a product that I can have it rebuilt and still be ok to use.

I'm not 100% positive yet which direction I'm going to go on the swap, still waiting on a couple choices to come into the shop.

I'm kind of backed into a corner here in the fact that I was hoping to run a mostly stock car for my first rally, then spend the summer saving and upgrading slowly, but with the engine giving out (which I new would happen eventually anyways) I dont want to spend money on something twice. So I dont want to spend that much, and I'm not chasing horsepower or anything to make my dick look big. I'd be getting great stock gearing and a reliable engine that I would want later down the road regardless.....It just sucks that I feel kind of stuck having to get something now.

On that note Adam, will you be running Cochrane? I hope to see you there! I hope to meet you there, you'll see I'm fairly down to earth and very easy going and not out to impress anyone by flashing stories of money or what not.

I'm always posting on Instagram...follow me! PeteNaz Instagram

My Build smiling smiley
Please Login or Register to post a reply
HiTempguy
Banned
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
2002 Subaru WRX STi

April 22, 2013 08:23PM
PeteNaz

On that note Adam, will you be running Cochrane? I hope to see you there! I hope to meet you there, you'll see I'm fairly down to earth and very easy going and not out to impress anyone by flashing stories of money or what not.

Well shit, I'm basically the exact opposite, racing rally cars I can't afford, jetting all over the place, and being a rockstar in general, we'll have to see if our personalities clash or not spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Honestly, this is just my opinion, get another D16, swap that sucker in, buy a clutch type lsd for the tranny (and if you want to get real crazy, add a super retarded final drive) and go have fun. That'll put you around $2k (on the high side of things IMO).

I just think that the swap will be WAY more expensive than you think, and I'd rather see you do Cochrane in a slower car than in no car at all. Plus, you'll learn about conserving momentum in a low power car. Consider Chris Duplessis GTi probably didn't even have as much power as a B18C and he still annihilated. Keeping your foot to the floor through corners and over crests is what wins races!

There is also that small fact that WHEN you roll (not if), there is always the chance of damaging the motor somehow. Would hate to see you spend money on a car that is likely to get broken sooner rather than later (if you are serious about racing!)
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

May 30, 2013 10:23AM
So I made my Goal that I set for the first rally I would enter when I first purchased the civic almost exactly one year ago!

Before the event I wasnt really scrambling to finish anything so that was really nice...I even had my boxes of stuff for service all made up the week before smiling smiley definitely not as stressful as other event of putting the car together at 2 in the morning the day of haha. The biggest thing was making my skid plate on the Thursday before the event but that only took 2 hours smiling smiley

Here are some videos and pictures from race day. Sadly.... I DNF'd because i put the car in a ditch on stage 8 of 10 sad smiley It isnt any substantial damage to the car, bent the passenger front lower control arm which also broke my axle and tore my brake line out. But the control arm is replaced already, will go to autovalue this weekend and have a new axle, and I need to get a friend to weld a crack in the transmission case that happened from the axle hitting it when it broke sad smiley shitty but easy fix after I open it up and make sure the piece of case didnt go into the tranny. I have to thank a new friend I made earlier this year at the first ice race I did that is also building a Civic rally car. He and two friends were able to tow me back home, and he took some time in the day to replace the lca, so that you Piotr! I cant express how awesome that was.

Also everyone at the race was so easy to talk to and so happy! It was such a great community of people and I'm excited to be a part of it.

Either way I had the most amazing day! and I am not detoured to do it over and over again smiling smiley The reason I bought an inexpensive car was so that I could crash and my train of thought would be (and it surprisingly was) 1) am I and my co-driver ok then (2) Fuckkkkk I dont get to finish the event (3) Fuckkkk get out there co-driver slave and put a triangle out then (4) That looks all dickered

video: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151407588150740
Video 2
Video 3

And here is it rolling again... Completely thanks to a friend and future Civic competitor along my side Piotr!!!!!

My Build smiling smiley
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

May 30, 2013 11:24AM
you forgot the most important video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QOPS2Ds7Dr0

I would've expected those wheels to break before you bent that LCA.

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

May 30, 2013 11:29AM
hahah the wound is still fresh and I'm still quite embarrassed in myself but here is a better angle as well

It was a bad hickup sad smiley I swear the rest of the driving was a bit better! cant wait to get more and more experience! need to remember more gas, less wheel lockup.....

O and the Wheel and tire are both perfectly fine!

Edit: The "o my god, o my god" is the co-drivers mom smiling smiley

My Build smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2013 11:41AM by PeteNaz.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 30, 2013 11:49AM
You had it slowed down, what harpooned?

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

May 30, 2013 12:01PM
john vanlandingham

Lack of experience I suppose, I think I got on the brake to hard when I should have whipped a little bit more into the turn and used some more gas, and I was worried about driving over the exposed culvert on the inside of the turn.

No excuses just me sucking haha. I've been reliving it in my head all day everyday haha!

My Build smiling smiley
DaveK
Dave Kern
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Compact M3 & Evo IX

May 30, 2013 12:05PM
PeteNaz
It was a bad hickup sad smiley I swear the rest of the driving was a bit better! cant wait to get more and more experience!

Hey, at least you were moving pretty quick prior to the off! Mistakes happen, it's all part of the learning process. You can practice and practice in a field or test place, but something's different about being 'on the clock' and knowing what your natural reactions are when things go south. Looks like the lesson wasn't too costly, so that's good! smileys with beer

john vanlandingham

Umm...

PeteNaz
need to remember more gas, less wheel lockup.....
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

May 30, 2013 12:32PM
PeteNaz
john vanlandingham

Lack of experience I suppose, I think I got on the brake to hard when I should have whipped a little bit more into the turn and used some more gas, and I was worried about driving over the exposed culvert on the inside of the turn.

No excuses just me sucking haha. I've been reliving it in my head all day everyday haha!

Well at least ya din't roll the bugger.

You ever ride motorcycles any?
Ever rode dirtbikes?

Do you like gladiator movies?

Oh never mind..
Point is when you ride bikes it becomes painfully clear that it's best not to blend and overlap what we're doing and even if you haven't ridden bikes you can imagine that "if we keeop it perpendicular to the ground--the ground the wheels are on, which may bear no relationship to the horison--- then we can gas it hard enough to do wheelies and put down some powerz..
IF when we're done gassin it IF we keep it perpendicular to the surface, we can use the FRONT brake hard enough to sometimes do "stoppies"..

But if we add one more element, like turning. we can do much of either...

Maybe the hardest thing sometimes --it is for me when I's rusty---and I's always rusty in cars---is to get off the brake/and simultaneously initiate the corner when we've gone in a little --what we think----too hot...

But don't beat yourself up too much, that type of booof! is what 99% of the folks do, I use that example as to "why do we have to make the junk so strong?"

Cause I want a simple boof--and tha t'weren't even that fast---- not to mean a DNF or an impair car. I saw you, you were ready to go!
Good spirit.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Dante
Allan Dantes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
87 Mazda LSRX-7

May 30, 2013 08:05PM
What was the note?

Owner, Driver, Head Mechanic, and Janitor at Tower City Race Team, headquartered near L'Anse. Michigan.
Driver / CoDriver in Rally America, NASARallySport, ARA, AMS, UPMDA, Champ Off Road

https://www.facebook.com/TowerCityRaceTeam/
https://www.instagram.com/towercityraceteam/
Morison
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

May 31, 2013 01:20AM
Here's a look at the hazard in the corner, which we had as a 'no cut L2'
You can see that some people took really wide lines but the culvert itself was bent over without a lot of sharp edges so you'd float over it, particularly if you're loading up the right side of the car. You just didn't want to get deep enough to drop the right side into the culvert.

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2013 01:24AM by Morison.
Attachments:
open | download - culvert.jpg (103.7 KB)
culvert.jpg
Morison
Banned
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
(ex)86 RX-7(built), (ex)2.5RS (bought)

May 31, 2013 01:29AM
john vanlandingham
I saw you, you were ready to go!
Good spirit.

Kinda like these guys...

First Rally: 2001
Driver (7), Co-Driver (44)
Drivers (16)
Clerk (10), Official (7), Volunteer (4)
Cars Built (1), Engines Built (0) Cages Built (0)
Last Updated, January 4, 2015

john vanlandingham
Blame is for idiots. losers.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2013 01:41AM by Morison.
PeteNaz
Peter Nazarewycz
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
96 Honda Civic Hatch

May 31, 2013 10:19AM
Morison
Here's a look at the hazard in the corner, which we had as a 'no cut L2'
You can see that some people took really wide lines but the culvert itself was bent over without a lot of sharp edges so you'd float over it, particularly if you're loading up the right side of the car. You just didn't want to get deep enough to drop the right side into the culvert.

Yup that's what we had for a note as well

Next time! I would love to make it to Nameless but it just isn't a possibility at the moment sad smiley
My goal is to for sure do every Western Canadian event this year though. (and by goal I mean i will be doing it because I already got the ok from the GF hahaha)

My Build smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login