Posted by modernbeat 
FunctionAuto
Tyler Patik
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
1995 IMpreza

Re: Open Light Subaru build
December 07, 2011 09:02PM
Strangely sunday night I was looking through the last page of this thread and was lost as all hell and my wife was "is that rally stuff your looking at again? hurry up we have to be at 'young frankenstein' before 6!" Traveling broadway think came to town.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

December 07, 2011 09:44PM
FunctionAuto
Strangely sunday night I was looking through the last page of this thread and was lost as all hell and my wife was "is that rally stuff your looking at again? hurry up we have to be at 'young frankenstein' before 6!" Traveling broadway think came to town.

She's a keeper.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

December 09, 2011 05:21PM
I was actually shown Blazen Saddles in school! thumbs up smiley
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

December 12, 2011 08:54PM
Brianne finally tore into the car today to see what carnage she caused by bottoming out the suspension.

Glad it's only the ears twisted. That's the cheapest repair. FWIW, Subaru suspension geometry sucks.

John, this should be at your place soon for a housing refurb. We may try to go long-travel versions when the 50mm is available. We've got plenty of inside tire clearance with our wheel setup.

Do It Sidewayz
Chris Martin
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
E-85 powered Impreza

December 13, 2011 08:58AM
modernbeat
Brianne finally tore into the car today to see what carnage she caused by bottoming out the suspension.

Glad it's only the ears twisted. That's the cheapest repair. FWIW, Subaru suspension geometry sucks.

John, this should be at your place soon for a housing refurb. We may try to go long-travel versions when the 50mm is available. We've got plenty of inside tire clearance with our wheel setup.

I said it once, i said it again....it's not the suspension geometry, it's not that you need more travel.

I have got one of Johns first set of 50MM struts for the Subarus. And they have now had 20 events on them. over time, the rear ears have slightly bent, but they are still useable. I welded the ears on myself, and made "caps" top and bottom, and also the little gussets ala RSSP. After 20ish events, the entire set-up is on borrowed time, and i cannot complain one bit. We even went through some Bushing issues...where the rear struts would sieze solid...guess what...ears held strong.

out of the 20 events, atleast 14 of them have been attached to an Open Class car, run in Ontario/Canada, where we have big jumps, and "kicks" which are like that LSPR kick... just we have them 10-15 times per stage at some events winking smiley. Just look up Tall Pines, which is known to be "tall jumps"....

You don't see the "big" suspension manufacturers blaming Subaru for their suspension design. You don't see them adding huge big travel struts. You DO however see them adding "caps" and "gussets" to their struts.

DMS stuff basically did the same thing....look what they did. they took the SAME inserts/strut tubes, and designed a fancy aluminum "ears" which bolt on, and are presumably stronger.

Lop the ears off, weld some new ones back on, this time "cap" the top/bottoms at the very least. Just go to rallispec.com, look at the photos of the RSSP stuff, and copy the design. Bolt back onto the car, and enjoy.
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

December 17, 2011 05:18PM
a question

will a gc gas tank work in my 91 legacy?

I would rather drive a slow car fast as a fast car slow!
first rule of cars: get what makes you happy, your the one paying for it!
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

December 28, 2011 10:16AM
i have a bud that is parting his 2000 rs after some one hit it in the pass side

A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:

December 29, 2011 04:04PM
is his rear subframe up for grabs? mine seems to be a little bent ... :O
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

December 29, 2011 04:41PM
i know its still in the car
i will ask

phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Junior Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

December 30, 2011 05:16PM
Alex, step up to a TSS subframe!!
alosix
Jason Powers
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
02 WRX, still to quiet, but it finished a rally

December 30, 2011 05:59PM
phlat65
Alex, step up to a TSS subframe!!

I think at least one of those silly production rulesets he likes to work with won't allow it.

I think we can beef up a stock one though.

This isn't floor mat anarchy
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:

January 03, 2012 06:17PM
yep we should beef up a stock one.. its easier to swap the trailing / trac arms than the subframe itself...

course maybe i should lift a little before the jumps... hehehe
alosix
Jason Powers
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
02 WRX, still to quiet, but it finished a rally

January 03, 2012 06:19PM
Should I just hit the pick and pull next weekend. Yank one, sandblast it.. Add some metal.. Maybe powder coat it?

I need some Tig practice anyway smiling smiley

and then sell it to you at about what TSS would charge for the fancy one.. yeah that sounds like a plan.

This isn't floor mat anarchy
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:

January 03, 2012 06:45PM
step 2 ????
step 3 profit! grinning smiley
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:

January 16, 2012 03:27PM
Do It Sidewayz

I said it once, i said it again....it's not the suspension geometry, it's not that you need more travel.

I have got one of Johns first set of 50MM struts for the Subarus. And they have now had 20 events on them. over time, the rear ears have slightly bent, but they are still useable. I welded the ears on myself, and made "caps" top and bottom, and also the little gussets ala RSSP. After 20ish events, the entire set-up is on borrowed time, and i cannot complain one bit. We even went through some Bushing issues...where the rear struts would sieze solid...guess what...ears held strong.

out of the 20 events, atleast 14 of them have been attached to an Open Class car, run in Ontario/Canada, where we have big jumps, and "kicks" which are like that LSPR kick... just we have them 10-15 times per stage at some events winking smiley. Just look up Tall Pines, which is known to be "tall jumps"....

I think all of these issues has been on the 40MM stuff. not the 50MM stuff. is that the only difference? I took off the rest of my JVAB Suspension last night the fronts look fine, but my other Rear also has Bent Ears. not nearly as bad as the above pick, but enough to notice right away (and i needed a dead blow hammer to get the coil over off the knuckle)

Can you give us any Insight to maybe something you did differently with your rear alignment setup?
Camber ? Toe? ride height? does your suspension have ANY unsprung droop? Are you using Helper springs?

What size rim do you use? Width and Offset?

Also to Brianna's Team, what rims are you guys using? I'm on 1994 Turbo Legacy Rims 15X6 +50 offset. at about -0.9 camber the rim touches the spring perch (or dirt bag)

Comparing my JVAB to the stock rear coilovers... I notice the stock one offsets the Springs (is needed for clearance with the inner wheel well) But that's the only difference i see between the stock coilover and the JVAB.

Do the AllWheelsDriven(dot)Net coil overs Bend in the back? Aren't they Bassically the same thing? same design? They do use the same Insert (to the best of my knowledge) the same bilsteins with the same valving... Basically both sets use Group N Top mounts (Many / most JVAB teams use those, and Allwheelsdriven sends them out with them) so what's left that can be different? The tubes / ears and how low (or high) they are mounted with in that lower tube ?

I don't get why that would lead to more (or less) bending... but then again i'm a programmer not an engineer / crew chief...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login