Posted by modernbeat 
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

Re: Open Light Subaru build
October 20, 2011 12:01PM
I had a talk with Jard about this. But something like reduced entry fees seems reasonable. Tow funds will vary depending on where you're coming from.

Giving free entry seems easy, but it still costs the rally to have you there with paying for heads at the awards banquet (if it's a charge by head thing), event insurance for competitor (I think RA pays per car).

There's some other costs too, like printing a route book.

But it would seem something like this could be a nice incentive to actually campaign a regional championship for an award?
Please Login or Register to post a reply
fliz
Chad Eixenberger
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1988 VW Golf #687

October 20, 2011 12:54PM
BillyElliot
Giving free entry seems easy, but it still costs the rally to have you there with paying for heads at the awards banquet (if it's a charge by head thing), event insurance for competitor (I think RA pays per car).
I'm not sure why free entry seems easy?

An event wants the RRC to get more competitors, if they don't make any/lose money on those extra competitors, then what's the incentive to be RRC? Sure other events theoretically benefit by having extra competitors running an expanded regional calendar if the regional title means something...but that doesn't help the RRC. From the sanctioning body, RA is losing money trying to promote the national series, there's no extra dollars to subsidize the hobbyists.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

October 20, 2011 02:10PM
The USRC used to offer a 2,000 tow fund ( I think combined with free entry) . they charge rallies a fee for being part of the USRC (as they get an increase in competitors) and that pool is used to pay out tow funds (and free entries)

Rally-america already cuts regional rallies a slight break in price, and chargers national rallies a bit more than they cost (to insure) and use that as a fund.

not really sure where the money would come from for RA to offer funds to regional champions to go to the runoffs. sad smiley Guess it's up to the competitors to figure it out.. hehehe

guess each region could start its own regional cup tow fund. ie each competitor kicks in $50 each rally or what ever. problem with that it seems in most regions (north west, south west, central , haven't looked at others) the same driver wins all of the rallies. (doesn't really feel right) but on the other hand maybe that will be an extra incentive to make people drive faster? hehehe

if Joshua can drive like Kris-Jon I'll have a hell of a time winning next year (which will be awesome, they are switching seats) and there's an other fellow who is building a very high spec Open Light motor . guess if we all have a good chance to win it, we might all be willing to pitch in, ..
actually maybe each region would have some interest in having their region declared the fastest and people might just kick in a little bit ...
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mod Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 20, 2011 02:35PM
Alex. There is no need for a regional rally championship. Everyone knows that the fastest drivers in the nation are from the Central Division. Well except for those that live in the PNW. They know the fastest are from the PNW. Well, and the guys in the NE. They also know the guys in the NE are the fastest. Well, and the CRS guys. They all know the fastest drivers are in the CRS. I think I got my point across... smiling smiley
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

October 21, 2011 10:29AM
Doivi Clarkinen
A1337STI
Are 4.44s prone to failure on a stock RS motor? are you thinking it was a fluke or just bound to happen?

Bound to happen. (If it's the R&P that broke, anyway.) 4.44s are prone to failure period. A big shock load can do it as well as big torque.

Haven't taken it apart yet, but I think it's the pinion spacer, or crush washer. That type of design never works well under high horsepower or shock loads. If that's the issue we'll make a solid non-crushing version of it and have to fit it 1000 times to get the length -just- right. It a PITA to do them that way but that might be what we have to do to make it survive.
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

October 21, 2011 10:31AM
NoCoast
Alex. There is no need for a regional rally championship. Everyone knows that the fastest drivers in the nation are from the Central Division. Well except for those that live in the PNW. They know the fastest are from the PNW. Well, and the guys in the NE. They also know the guys in the NE are the fastest. Well, and the CRS guys. They all know the fastest drivers are in the CRS. I think I got my point across... smiling smiley

Any of those guys are welcome to come out and try to take away Brianne's RR Cup. They can talk all they want. She has the title bestowed by Rally America.
Jard
Jared Lantzy
Professional Moderator

Rally Car:
Free range navigator

October 21, 2011 11:04AM
modernbeat
NoCoast

Any of those guys are welcome to come out and try to take away Brianne's RR Cup. They can talk all they want. She has the title bestowed by Rally America.

Maybe next year. For now, we're good with the RA Eastern Overall Championship, RA Eastern OL Championship, and the NASA ARC Overall. winking smiley
BillyElliot
Billy Elliot Mann
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
1996 Honda Civic with VTEC YO!

October 21, 2011 11:59AM
modernbeat
NoCoast

Claiming a "chamipionship" when you were the only one who showed up is meh. I'm not saying Brianne is slow, she is quick.

I just think Jason/Jared would have easily beat her smiling smiley
KTurner
Kevin Turner
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
2wd Impreza... dude you should do an sti swap

October 21, 2011 12:40PM
fliz
I'd love to have a way for regional guys to compete against each other, but the country is just too big, and gas too expensive. Even with free entry it would probably be cheaper for somebody in any other region to run a local event than tow to the UP. We're all trying to maximize grins/$, and towing 20+ hours just isn't the way to do it.

The top of the UP just isn't close. For the cost diesel, hotel, and time off work alone we could run Black River Stages almost twice. That doesn't include entry fees or pre/post event maintenance costs. Even tried to find a ferry so we could try to sleep and travel (apparently they just go side to side).
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:

October 27, 2011 10:54PM
It's not really rally related, but Brianne got her first magazine cover regarding her open class championship at the SCCA Solo Nationals this year. Only the third woman ever to win an open class championship and the first to do it in one of the Modified classes. That's her in the main photo with the half scale yellow Can-Am car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2011 10:55PM by modernbeat.
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

October 28, 2011 07:37PM
very cool
tdrrally
edward mucklow
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
ford mustang LX 5.0, 1973 VW Beetle

November 17, 2011 02:03PM
how much longer are second gen impreza struts over first gen?
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

November 17, 2011 02:21PM
I'm not sure exactly, but i know i put used a DMS 50 out of Burkes (GD) at gorman. it bolted in before we made any ride height adjustments.. i **think** that corner ended up about an inch higher. so roughly roughly around an inch taller ? (maybe he just uses that much more ride height than i do)
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

November 17, 2011 05:32PM
A1337STI
I'm not sure exactly, but i know i put used a DMS 50 out of Burkes (GD) at gorman. it bolted in before we made any ride height adjustments.. i **think** that corner ended up about an inch higher. so roughly roughly around an inch taller ? (maybe he just uses that much more ride height than i do)

Maybe his car is heavier.
hey your replacement insert arrived, gotta carve up the top and weld some fresh CrMo ears on.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
phlat65
Sean Medcroft
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Building a Merkur

November 17, 2011 11:37PM
Make sure you normalize them John, don't want the world to end just yet!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login