Welcome! Log In Register

Advanced

Open Light Subaru build

Posted by modernbeat 
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

Re: Open Light Subaru build
March 14, 2012 01:48PM
Big crash on SS16 - video of the oops.

Jason McDaniel
Please Login or Register to post a reply
alkun
Albert Kun
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
volvo 242

March 14, 2012 02:32PM
Dang those drain holes. Glad everyone is OK.
Mad Matt F
Matt Follett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Don't Laugh, the Justy is Fun!

March 14, 2012 04:30PM
"Oh well, there you go."

Just Awesome! Yep, glad everyone's okay.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:
93 GC with an 01 RS swap!

March 14, 2012 05:36PM
wow the coil-over got ripped from the knuckle. or the knuckle got ripped from everything (A-arm and coil-over) owie sad smiley

"It sheared ACROSS the strut body" Wow ... bad jump landing ? just bad luck? any video of the super special jump?
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 14, 2012 06:02PM
A1337STI
wow the coil-over got ripped from the knuckle. or the knuckle got ripped from everything (A-arm and coil-over) owie sad smiley

"It sheared ACROSS the strut body" Wow ... bad jump landing ? just bad luck? any video of the super special jump?

Yeah have to see that.
Specially since I just welded your rears with the new Cr-Mo ears.

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
Remember! Pacific Standard Time
is 3 hours behind Eastern Standard Time.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

March 14, 2012 06:58PM
A1337STI
John are you talking about Louies dms 50s? .. if not

He also bent his (maybe from all his playing around @ Gorman.. its his car in the gorman video i posted)

If So, that would be at least 2 DMS 50s that bent in the rear on a GC .

I still have one pic of the stuck strut , I can text it to you if you want Jason..

here's the (maybe bent) DMS
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7026/6799455115_b1d50a5c98_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7017/6799459605_8fa56aba30_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7174/6799450469_9cc11e86f6_b.jpg

Obviously he was not competing when it bent, he must have been installing it tongue sticking out smiley

So I'm a little late to the party because I never really looked at this thread but I can give a little insight to all this rear geometry/strut housing flange bending thing. The bottom mount for the rear strut is offset to the centerline of the hub. This puts a twisting motion into the strut mounting bracket. I've seen and repaired dozens and dozens and dozens of bent DMS brackets, all on my own time because Jamie Drummond's shit don't stink and he refused to put gussets on the brackets which would pretty much solve the problem. Even without ever taking a hard hit the brackets will eventually twist and crack, it's just how the geometry is back there. A horizontal gusset on the top and the bottom of the bracket goes a long way to help prevent the problem.
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:

March 14, 2012 07:32PM
any pics of the fancy gussets that fix or greatly help the issue?
modernbeat
Jason McDaniel
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
1963 SAAB Historic, 1995 Impreza Open Light totaled at WRC Mexico, 2005 STi Pikes Peak winner

March 14, 2012 07:40PM
Even the reinforced rear ears will bend if you beat on them hard enough. Both of our rear struts with new ears were bent before the roll. Of course one of them had just been broken in two and rewelded...

I'm in Dallas and the car is south of Austin. I'll get pics next time I'm down there. The crew did a great job getting the car rolling after the strut broke. I have to give props to Josh Chang, himself a rallyist, previous crew member and high performance automotive engineer, Michael O'Connor, a WRC fanatic, and Chris Dismukes, who has supported Brianne at every event she's entered for the last two years.

Jason McDaniel
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 14, 2012 09:19PM
Doivi Clarkinen
A1337STI
John are you talking about Louies dms 50s? .. if not

He also bent his (maybe from all his playing around @ Gorman.. its his car in the gorman video i posted)

If So, that would be at least 2 DMS 50s that bent in the rear on a GC .

I still have one pic of the stuck strut , I can text it to you if you want Jason..

here's the (maybe bent) DMS
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7026/6799455115_b1d50a5c98_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7017/6799459605_8fa56aba30_b.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7174/6799450469_9cc11e86f6_b.jpg

Obviously he was not competing when it bent, he must have been installing it tongue sticking out smiley

So I'm a little late to the party because I never really looked at this thread but I can give a little insight to all this rear geometry/strut housing flange bending thing. The bottom mount for the rear strut is offset to the centerline of the hub. This puts a twisting motion into the strut mounting bracket. I've seen and repaired dozens and dozens and dozens of bent DMS brackets, all on my own time because Jamie Drummond's shit don't stink and he refused to put gussets on the brackets which would pretty much solve the problem. Even without ever taking a hard hit the brackets will eventually twist and crack, it's just how the geometry is back there. A horizontal gusset on the top and the bottom of the bracket goes a long way to help prevent the problem.

Yep it appears there is a geometry problem. I have been thinking hard--or as hard as my old noggin can---and thinking about arcs. We want the strut to move in the 'up'n'down part of the arc, and not "over the top" of the arc which is where the forward direction has to be coming from.
So the latest stuff I have made the bottom tube about 1" or so longer.
The idea is that with the longer OAL, you can still let it settle to have decent droop but its still longer even when compressing.
Maybe the rears of the cars need to be up a bit higher, too.

Here is where good visualisation skills would help a lot.

Of course it be REAL wonderful if there was a better, NORMAL upright that would fall in place with the strut in line with the spindle, or maybe just longer N/S links to make a slower arc.

Or even better, everybody could move up in the world:

Betcha they ain't bending no stinkin rear strut!

Just the whole car!! Yikes!

It happens!

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:

March 15, 2012 04:38PM
for cars going by an open rule set. they could modify their spindles to be more like the fronts (with the attachment point directly over the axle, instead of (in front?)

Won't help the "must bolt onto factory mounting points" crowd ...

What if the ears were offset so that the strut was more up and down? confused smiley (possible a horrible idea since I've never seen it done or maybe genius! )

just playing with a pencil and my finger to simulate the rear trailing arm Arc . yes as it compresses there's a point where the bottom of the strut is moving forward. the further back you can move the strut it appears the forward motion is less ....

Or maybe its just something we have to live with.. how do the rear struts attach to a GD impreza? exact same way or are their rears directly over the axle...

anyone have a pic of a GD rear knuckle? and how about a pic of a WRC rear knuckle ? (maybe even from the 93-99 era?)
Aaron Luptak
Aaron Luptak
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
Civic...

March 15, 2012 05:13PM
A1337STI
anyone have a pic of a GD rear knuckle? and how about a pic of a WRC rear knuckle ? (maybe even from the 93-99 era?)

These two pics from subaruwrcspares.com say "S5-S11" and "S5-S12b", and one google search for S5 mentioned 1998...

KF7RWG
http://www.utahrallygroup.com
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

March 15, 2012 05:23PM
A1337STI
for cars going by an open rule set. they could modify their spindles to be more like the fronts (with the attachment point directly over the axle, instead of (in front?)

Won't help the "must bolt onto factory mounting points" crowd ...

What if the ears were offset so that the strut was more up and down? confused smiley (possible a horrible idea since I've never seen it done or maybe genius! )

just playing with a pencil and my finger to simulate the rear trailing arm Arc . yes as it compresses there's a point where the bottom of the strut is moving forward. the further back you can move the strut it appears the forward motion is less ....

Or maybe its just something we have to live with.. how do the rear struts attach to a GD impreza? exact same way or are their rears directly over the axle...

GD rear knuckles are the same as GC8.
The reason the Subaru has the strut mounting point offset is to allow room for the CV joint and axle. It's something you have to live with. Gusset the brackets but don't be surprised if you see more bent inserts as a result. Usually not a problem if you're not bottoming out a lot and clobbering stuff. And don't use spherical bearing top mounts on the rear. You need more give than that. 2WD Imprezas did have the strut mounting point in the centerline of the hub but obviously they're useless for an AWD car.
john vanlandingham
John Vanlandingham
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
Saab 96 V4

March 15, 2012 05:29PM

And for comparison:

John Vanlandingham
Sleezattle, WA, USA

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

www.rallyrace.net/jvab
CALL +1 206 431-9696
A1337STI
Alex Rademacher
Infallible Moderator

Rally Car:

March 15, 2012 06:04PM
Doivi Clarkinen

The reason the Subaru has the strut mounting point offset is to allow room for the CV joint and axle. It's something you have to live with. Gusset the brackets but don't be surprised if you see more bent inserts as a result. Usually not a problem if you're not bottoming out a lot and clobbering stuff. And don't use spherical bearing top mounts on the rear. You need more give than that. 2WD Imprezas did have the strut mounting point in the centerline of the hub but obviously they're useless for an AWD car.

i'm using Group N rears. would using OEM (dorman, or what ever) help any?

If i am bottoming out, clobbering them. Besides slowing down , what else can i do that would help?
would a spring rate bump do anything of notice? 25# a side is only going to be 400 more pounds to fully compress the struts. my understanding is the valving absorbs way more energy than simply compressing the springs..

Rear sway bar? (though Leelynd had a rear sway and bent his jumping too big, awd coilovers)

Or is the real solution 2 pronged. Learn what the "limits" are and do my best to stay with them. (maybe 2 feet of air is okay, but 3 is too much) (or maybe measure it in hang time 1 sec in the air okay, 2 seconds and stuff breaks) and keep spares for when i fail to stay with in the limits (or fail to stay on the road)

I would imagine the compression rate can be increased, but i would also imagine that will affect handling (probably for the worse) I guess i need to be asking "whats faster?" altering the valving for the 1% of the rally that i'm too hard on and hoping I'm not slower everywhere else. or just learning to drive more gentle on those uber rough (or big jump) sections?

I'm thinking the best handling setup will be faster. I only did any damage @ gorman and it was due to stupidity...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2012 06:07PM by A1337STI.
Doivi Clarkinen
Banned
Godlike Moderator

Rally Car:
1980 Opel Ascona B

March 16, 2012 02:56AM
A1337STI
Doivi Clarkinen

i'm using Group N rears. would using OEM (dorman, or what ever) help any?

You mean the strut top mounts? Use the Group N. They have a higher durometer rubber. Stock ones will tear out too easily.

A1337STI
If i am bottoming out, clobbering them. Besides slowing down , what else can i do that would help?
would a spring rate bump do anything of notice? 25# a side is only going to be 400 more pounds to fully compress the struts. my understanding is the valving absorbs way more energy than simply compressing the springs..

Rear sway bar? (though Leelynd had a rear sway and bent his jumping too big, awd coilovers)

Or is the real solution 2 pronged. Learn what the "limits" are and do my best to stay with them. (maybe 2 feet of air is okay, but 3 is too much) (or maybe measure it in hang time 1 sec in the air okay, 2 seconds and stuff breaks) and keep spares for when i fail to stay with in the limits (or fail to stay on the road)

I would imagine the compression rate can be increased, but i would also imagine that will affect handling (probably for the worse) I guess i need to be asking "whats faster?" altering the valving for the 1% of the rally that i'm too hard on and hoping I'm not slower everywhere else. or just learning to drive more gentle on those uber rough (or big jump) sections?

I'm thinking the best handling setup will be faster. I only did any damage @ gorman and it was due to stupidity...

I've always run a rear sway bar on Subarus.
If you gusset the strut brackets then they will hold up a lot better and you won't twist them so easily. Once in a while you might clobber something bad enough to bend one but that's what spares are for. Most of the time you'll be fine. Changing spring rates or valving to try to keep from bending mounting brackets isn't going to do any good.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login