Posted by Carl S 
dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
'84 Scirocco Rally car... '88 90q project

Re: Scirocco progress #1
October 24, 2007 02:11PM
These are pretty short inserts... I don't know the exact history of them either. Already kicked off the machine shop on making the spacer, and want it back together asap! Measured strut travel, and it's ~5"; a 12" spring will go well beyond 6" of compression before it binds. These are labelled as:
stamped on shaft end: 60 320 230 80
stamped on body near ears: 7196032010

I figured they might be a bit stiff... I also have a set of 250lb/in x 10" eibach's sitting in the basement. Rear springs are 200lb... assuming 12" length... haven't disassembled yet. Again, Bilstein coilovers.

Elongating the ears is something I could do down the road... but for now, this is what it gets. Obviously it is supposed to work as Bilstein built it... it will make due.

Rear brakes... drums for now cause I don't have the time/funds to do anything else before Pines. First goal is making the car reliable. Bigger brakes will come when I've had some seat time in the car and I know what route I'm gonna take with the car (ie... JVAB suspension, turbo engine, fuel cell, etc).

As for the fuel line thing... I assume you are referring to hard-lines in the car to bulkhead fittings, then braided/rubber lines to pump/fuel dizzy.
Please Login or Register to post a reply
Josh Wimpey
Josh Wimpey
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Sneak the Golf

October 24, 2007 03:42PM
#350 is way too stiff for fronts, we run #250 on a heavier mk2 golf...14" length

#180 for rears with 18" of spring...

Rear discs aren't as small as John says--stock are 8.9" and up to 11" vented REAR upgrades are readily available by bolting on parts from late model VW and Audi cars.---BUT, the stock 8.9" disc rears are more than adequate for anything on gravel with under 200hp and fit easily under cheap 14" wheels and tires.

Elongating ears and machining new lower perches seems un-necessary for a temporary fix---You could just slap on some 10mm wheel spacers instead.

____________________________________________________________-

One. Class -- 2WD

www.quantumrallysport.com

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/pages/Quantum-Rally-Sport/281129179600?ref=nf
mack73
Jason Wine
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Started a Golf... Never Finished It

October 24, 2007 11:26PM
I also agree that large vented rear rotors can be had for cheap. Total I'm in 200.

Get some calipers and used stock rear disks, take the disks to a machine shop and have them cut them down to make them hubs. Fab up a bracket to mount the calipers. Then get some front rotors to fit over your new fangled hubs.

Dug up some pics:

-Jason

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2007 11:28PM by mack73.
MRWmotorsports
Martin Walter
Ultra Moderator

Rally Car:
Nissan 240SX

Re: What did you do on the rally car today?
October 25, 2007 10:34PM
Nice! Have you figured out which rotors work with your calipers/mounts to get the spacing right? I can see that as the key.

-Martin.
mack73
Jason Wine
Senior Moderator

Rally Car:
Started a Golf... Never Finished It

October 26, 2007 11:15PM
MRWmotorsports Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice! Have you figured out which rotors work with
> your calipers/mounts to get the spacing right? I
> can see that as the key.
>
> -Martin.

The mounts in the picture are to mount 11" corrado disks in the rear. Minimum 15" wheels though. You could do the 10.1's to keep it on 14's

-Jason
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

October 27, 2007 10:45AM
Re-ringed the pistons. Installed new bearings. Hung pistons in block. Learned valuable lesson that you don't use moly lube behind the bearings and beat my head against a wall for not doing a better job of keeping rods and caps matched.

Shortly, I will be removing the pistons again to make sure I match caps to rods better and clean the moly from behind the bearings. Then I will be making damn sure everything is spotless before attempting to torque these suckers again.

I should have the head back on the engine today. Wo0t!

Brian Driggs | KG7KCA | PHX, AZ | 89 Pajero
alterius non sit qui suus esse potest
NoCoast
Grant Hughes
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
BMW

October 27, 2007 02:02PM
Did you thoroughly clean all the oil passages on the crank. I helped with a rebuild of a 4G63 6 fucking times in 04 because of stupid shit. The first one was the owner hadn't cleaned the crank thoroughly and then spun a rod bearing and trashed that crank after 30-60 miles. The remaining times were random things, like not checking a 'good' engine bought used that had a missing valve that was permanently imbedded in the piston, mixing up and bolting on the caps wrong and the engine wouldn't turn so had to be torn down and rebuilt again. I learned alot that summer though, and the following December I rebuilt my Colt engine (A32, a 1.6 predecessor to the 4G63) which had rings that became about 24 pieces. That engine has been through quite a few events now and car's been rolled twice since I sold it.

Grant Hughes
starion887
starion887
Junior Moderator

October 28, 2007 11:00AM
Got started on welding brackets to the 8" Toyota P/U rear axle housing for the Opel Manta's 4 link rear axle. Should be fun to get this part of the project started!

Regards,
Mark B.
DR1665
Brian Driggs
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

October 29, 2007 12:53AM
Thanks for the head's up, Grant. Turns out the previous owner of the 4G63 was his typical, hamfisted self with it long before I got it. The rod caps weren't from the rods in the engine when I got it, and the bearings showed scuffing one finds when an engine is repeatedly run wide open before being sufficiently warmed up.

In any case, we got the rotating assembly back together and tonight, for the first time since July, the Gaylant that just won't stay dead backed out of the garage under it's own power and made a gentle, but smoky trip around the block.

I've got no radiator fans coming on, nor does the temperature gauge work, but I've got a couple obvious electrical connections to do before I take it back out on the road again. I'll sneak it out without the fans, or I'd sneak it out without the gauge, but to risk a new engine on neither would be asinine.

In any case. It feels really, really fucking good. I'm planning on driving it over to Moose's place in the next couple days to return his ring compressor.

DR1665
Brian Driggs
Super Moderator

Rally Car:
Keyboard. Deal with it.

October 31, 2007 01:51PM
I drove it to work. That is all.

JohnLane
John Lane
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:
The Fire Breathing Monster

November 07, 2007 10:09AM
The Volvo is getting some long awaited love.

Sellholm goodies are being fitted for suspenders with big brakes. (Ouchie$ the dollar is in the $hitter now!!)
Lessee iffin I end up with borken wheels after all the material that is being removed to clear the front brakes.

Matt Manspeaker was kind enough to pop in last Saturday and assisted with fitting left side coachwork that is still bent from a practice snafu in 2002 or 2003.

It will take a lot of work but the Volvo will be in fighting form for Doo-Wops '08.

I'm working at getting Ray to commit to riding in the seat of terror again. Iffin' you guys happen to have chit-chat with Ray please DO mention that he needs to give me another history lesson while riding along.

JohnLane

Overkill is consistently more fun
Ascona73
Bob Legere
Mega Moderator

Rally Car:
1971 Opel Ascona

November 07, 2007 01:43PM
I did nothing but look at the Opel Ascona today. It's still in storage where it's been for the last year-and-a-half. However, I also signed a lease for a workshop today, so Sunday the car is getting moved into its' new home. Maybe this winter I'll kick the tires on it...

Bob

Opel is a 4-letter word...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10498579@N07/sets/
dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

Progress #5
November 07, 2007 02:57PM
Spent Monday night mounting the new(er) Sparco seat which included cutting out the old OE floor mounting point/support and welding in a new cross-brace. Still need to gusset to the floor to bring back the strength of the floor pan in that area. Dad got the remaining pieces welded to the floor on the driver and passenger side to cover the rusted areas on Tuesday. This meant I could put the first coat of paint on the passenger floor and begin working on fuel lines through the car. I was going to run hard-steel line through the interior, but it’s turning out to be a huge pain… so last night I ordered all the bits needed to run braided stainless flex-lines through the car instead. More time messing with fittings, but almost no time spent fussing with bending and routing line. I also discovered last night that I have all the bits needed to convert to larger front brakes on this car, including an extra set of spare calipers for the service parts. Oh the joys of buying parts at good deals when you don’t need them!

-Rollcage padding has been ordered.
-Underbody plastic sheeting should arrive today at work for me to take home.
-Picking up a free truck boxliner for underbody protection tonight as well.
-Fuel components have been ordered.
-Head is still at the shop being looked at.
-Brakes are slowly being reassembled (need new front pads for the big-brakes)
-Tonight… finish tearing off old brake lines, start plumbing new brake lines, figure out where to mount the adjustable rear proportioning valve.
-Still need to remove the passenger driveshaft after accidentally popping the inner CV joint apart.

Lots of pictures taken... no time to process them.
starion887
starion887
Junior Moderator

Re: Progress #5
November 07, 2007 04:00PM
Good to hear al the progress on the Scirocco; got my fingers crossed that you make it with time to spare!

And excellent on the new home for the Ascona, Bob!

I spent a bit of time in the garage with my son drilling and tapping th ened of the lower links for the rear axle. Gotta take it slow for a while; just had 2 hernias fixed 1.5 weeks ago; the hidden, long-term price of being a gearhead!

Mark B.
dtompsett
Doug Tompsett
Elite Moderator

Rally Car:

Re: Progress #5
November 07, 2007 04:50PM
Also picked up another tank of welding gas today
100 stainless 1/4-20 x 1" bolts - ~$21
100 steel 1/4-20 2 tab weldnuts - ~$20
100 fender washers

Quite surprised how inexpensive my bill was once I left the fastener place (Brafasco).

Underbody sheeting arrived, as well as some thin ABS to use as door panel material... my door panels have seen better days.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login